• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Triple-bill of terror as survival horror Amnesia comes to PS4

Raptor

From what I've played (never finished 2spooky) it's got puzzles and you have to sometimes get/do specific things and go places while avoiding scary monsters.
You can't fight anything and once a monster spots you you have to break its line of sight for long enough to quit following you, by closing doors and hiding in cabinets.
There's also a sanity meter you have to manage (some neat effects when you are nearly insane) as well as oil for your lamp.
The monsters themselves are pretty nasty/gorey, and I'm pretty sure there's instances of bloody piles lying in some places but I don't remember very well.

Super nifty game with cool ideas but damn is it spooky.

You cant blast a monster away in pieces?

:(

I'll be interested in seeing how everyone feels about this on console. It's highly praised, but I felt it was pretty bad and did a sub par job at actually creating any real sense of terror or being scary via "jump scare" even. It was just...a dull game with a rolling camera on my end.

The whole camera thing could be my main gripe, as I'd have probably been more invested had it been different

Sorcerer

If anybody has Amnesia on Steam, you have Justine.
Its hard to find because its an option in the settings menu.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Very happy for Frictional and for everyone who's been waiting to play these games.

I'm currently really enjoying SOMA, but I don't know if I can handle Amnesia...
There are all these amazing ideas and a brilliant narrative in SOMA, and I'm a real sucker for rich sci-fi settings/themes. That stuff keeps me ploughing through the scary parts, as I really want to know what happens next, but I think with the other games I'd just be torturing myself ^^;

Unknown?

Depends on what you want. Amnesia is much more of a psychological horror experience, whereas Outlast is much more of a gory/jump scare horror experience.

I found Amnesia to be much scarier, but, I still had a great time with Outlast. There are similarities, for sure, but, different enough to enjoy both, IMO.

Hmmm so it's more like Silent Hill without the gore? I need this but it should be out this year!

I got to the prison part of Amnesia and could go no further...I'll see if I can stomach another try with this. But that means I have to go through the water parts again oh god no

Melchiah

I'm curious how they will handle opening doors. In the pc version when you open doors you use the mouse so that you can either peak or throw the door open real fast.

Not sure how that will work on a controller..

They will not use the touchpad lol.

They'll just use a face button + analog modifier, or remove some of the functionality.

You could do that just fine in Outlast with the analogue stick.

eFKac

The trailer is funny, only showing Dark Descent, can't blame them though, it's the better game no question and I assume more successful.

dugdug

Banned
I'm curious how they will handle opening doors. In the pc version when you open doors you use the mouse so that you can either peak or throw the door open real fast.

Not sure how that will work on a controller..

The PC controls have you holding down right bumper and pulling back/forward on the the right stick. Works perfectly fine.

Hmmm so it's more like Silent Hill without the gore? I need this but it should be out this year!

Yeah, kinda. It's not as spooky or sad as something like Silent Hill. It just deals in more cerebral horror than Outlast. It's kinda like comparing a Lovecraft story to a slasher flick, if that makes sense. Not to say one's better than the other, but, just serving two different types of horror.

cabelhigh

Neo Member
I don't necessarily think it was better overall (the story certainly is, though). I'd even say that if you played and liked SOMA without playing an Amnesia, you'd stand a better chance of liking AMFP than DD.

Y'all are crazy. Crazy!

AMFP had more of a story, i.e. more arcs and characters and twists and developments, but how it was told was dog-shit. No more VO diaries, two different types of VO collectables, neither of which proved to be very compelling, and a twist that could literally be guessed in the opening minutes of the game. And that says nothing of the writing itself, which confused over-writing with good writing and made me want to tear my eyes out reading it. DD didn't have great writing but it didn't really aspire to; AMFP, on the other hand, is dripping with pretentious passages and delusions of granduer that it mishandles again and again.

The two only truly effective scenes in a game that goes for many are the
first descent into the machine
and the
titular scene
, both of which where able to match good writing with good scene work. Everything else...barf.

For people looking for different opinions about Amnesia: TDD and AMFP, here's my two cent.

TDD: Scarier overall. There are far more enemy encounters and moments where your sanity meter causes you to see unnerving things and more actual gameplay. Inventory management, deeper puzzles, ect. The 'campaign' is a fair bit longer as I recall too.

AMFP: Starts off stronger with a real sense of dread, but like all of The Chinese Room's games, it's basically a walking simulator with a handful of enemy encounters (enemy design is awful and there is only
one enemy type
as I recall. The game has far simpler puzzles and only runs about 4hrs long. However, art direction, sound design, setting and story are all superior. It's less jumpy and more oppressive in atmosphere but overall far less scary most of the time.

Hope this helps, although both are included in the PS4 bundle and both are worth playing IMO.

RuhRo

Had no idea this was happening, and I'm a guy who Googled "Amnesia PS4" for about a month after playing - and being floored by - Soma.

Hope this port hasn't missed its moment, as there is absolutely an audience for it on PS4. Is PSVR support planned? I could see that drumming up a lot of hype.

Razilez

24 quids for two game is now expensiv?

The games were up for pre-order at £17.99 (with PS+) but seems to have gone up to its normal price.

Played up until after the water part and it's just like I remembered it. Visuals are unchanged, seems to run mostly 60fps but it does have the weird blur filters which make it seems strangely slower when looking around. Have to get used to the controls still but overall I'm happy with it. Still managed to spook me!

gameproff: well yes. it's digital, no resell value so i "throw" 24 quid.

preowned games are 5-10 quid range......witcher 3 is 15 or less, i got bloodborne goty 20 quid, but those game are way long....

amnesia is 5-10 hours range i believe.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Finished the dark descent and i enjoyed.The graphics are a bit dated and is not very scare for me.Maybe because this formula of hide and wait i suffered in alien isolation before i play amnesia.But have points of tension when you have to run with the sound at maximum or the moments with the creature in the water.

Here is my entire playthrough:

Final

Top Bottom