• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tropes vs Women author Sarkeesian vacates home following online threats

Status
Not open for further replies.

udivision

I find it odd how many GAFers first have to qualify their posts with, "I don't like her videos" or "I am not a fan of her but." The same thing happens when dead celebrity threads. As if showing some form of compassion and empathy is a sign of weakness and you have to start by puffing out your chest.

"I killed a deer with my bare hands this morning and I hate my fucking bitch of an ex-wife, but Frozen was a really enjoyable movie"

Or, you know, maybe they're trying to show that you don't have to agree with her to see that she is being treated unfairly? Maybe they're trying to show that not everyone who disagrees with her is a jerk?

Think about it a little more, please. Don't be so quick to hate.

Altazor

I find it odd how many GAFers first have to qualify their posts with, "I don't like her videos" or "I am not a fan of her but." The same thing happens when dead celebrity threads. As if showing some form of compassion and empathy is a sign of weakness and you have to start by puffing out your chest.

"I killed a deer with my bare hands this morning and I hate my fucking bitch of an ex-wife, but Frozen was a really enjoyable movie"

I don't think it's about "puffing chests" or "not being weak". In this case I think it's more about recognizing that you may not agree with everything she says (or maybe even like her), but you don't and won't stoop so low as to actually threaten her (as that dipshit who made the threats on twitter). Just sayin'

Buzzman

Banned
The content of those tweets are potentially triggering for people who actually suffer from PTSD. But again, 99% of people reading it doesn't actually have PTSD. Not to mention the, unfortunate, modern use of the term sprung up from Tumblr people who swapped the word "offended" for "trigger" in their vocabularies. So seeing the term misused is extremely commonplace now.

Who gives a shit, is this really the time for a fucking semantics argument? People who see those tweets and feel extremely bad afterwards for several hours might as well be called triggered. Does it really hurt to be a little cautious at times?

I think some people think of like like a "full disclosure" situation. Like, they're communicating that even those who disagree with the merit of her work think this stuff is monstrous. Particularly if there's a concern that normal criticism of her work could be conflated with this category of threats and harassment.

This... Though people's attempts to psycho analyze it are pretty funny too.

If I'm keeping track you sorta implied she's playing all this up promotion. Maybe you didn't mean to but you still did. You called out the last sentence in one of her tweets, right? The sentence saying "this harassment must stop" ...
I'm not saying she is doing this all to help promote herself.

I'm saying that line did.

Specifically this tweet (or whatever social media she was using), not the situation.

Dr. Hoofington

Neo Member
Tropes in this thread:

The "Hate is a natural part of the Internet" post:
The internet can truly be a terrible place...
The internet is a scary place.
The Internet is a shitty place sometimes :(
Goddammit, Internet.
Fuck the internet...
Really fucking hate the internet sometimes.
I totally blame the internet

The "Don't lump me in with her" post:
...and while I don't always agree with her...
I'm not a big fan of Anita videos but...
I'm not particularly fond of her, but...
I don't dig her videos, but...
I'm not a fan of her work, but...
I'm far from a fan of her work, but...
While I don't agree with most of what she says...
Ok, I don't like her. / BUT...
I was about 50/50 on her vids but...
ot a fan of her videos either, but...

And finally, the classic "conspiracy theory" post:
Question...would I get banned if I proposed the fully hypothetical (not-based on any evidence) idea that some of these threats could be artificially created to sky-rocket the spotlight of the show? If so, I don't propose it.
While I have no doubt she probably really did get threatening comments that probably warranted police involvement, this just helps promote herself.

All these sentiments signal a basic failure to take responsibility or act against anything happening here.

Alienous

I find it odd how many GAFers first have to qualify their posts with, "I don't like her videos" or "I am not a fan of her but." The same thing happens in dead celebrity threads. As if showing some form of compassion and empathy is a sign of weakness and you have to start by puffing out your chest.

But this is about people disliking her videos, and reacting in extreme ways because of it.

"I dislike her videos, but I'm a rational person" is an absolutely reasonable response.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The really scary thing about crap like this is when you discover, thinking that most of these idiots are just stupid 12-year-olds trolling on the Internet, that these threats too often actually come from grown men.

Mesoian

People that do this stuff live for it though, that's the problem. It goes way beyond rationality, these people are so obsessed with the idea that she is a thorn in their side when all they have to do to get on enjoying their day is not click a link that they result to threats and actions against her personal well being?

That is insane behavior. These people have real problems. It reminds me of the guy who was a reddit troll, his wife found out, and rather than ceasing to be a reddit troll, she let her leave him. Insane.

I hope they get prosecuted.

Patryn

No one proves the arguments of "SJW"s more than the people who rail against them. If anyone wants to know why women are afraid to speak up, participate, or otherwise put themselves out there, assholes on the internet will provide you literally innumerable examples at a moment's notice. This has been an awful last couple of weeks for people who consider themselves gamers.

It's ironic that nothing has made me more sympathetic to the "SJW" crowd than these past few weeks.

Of course, sadly, a bunch of people would use stuff like this as proof that there never was any harassment and it was all a false flag designed to engender sympathy.

I find it odd how many GAFers first have to qualify their posts with, "I don't like her videos" or "I am not a fan of her but." The same thing happens in dead celebrity threads. As if showing some form of compassion and empathy is a sign of weakness and you have to start by puffing out your chest.

What else are we supposed to talk about? The topic is related to her videos. Mentioning that even though you disagree with her videos that she shouldn't be subject to this shows that you can put aside differences in opinions and wish her well. But don't worry - I'm sure all the chest puffing is doing something...?

Frodo

No one said that, at least in this thread

Well, maybe not with those exact words, no, but:

How did she get forced from her home?

Wouldn't be surprised if she's playing it up to make herself seem like a martyr who has to sacrifice everything in order to expose the evils of sexism.

If it wasn't for anonymous, I'd think this is too far fetched. I am just shocked. I really don't know anybody who would threaten someone seriously like this or even the lesser threats. Guess I am "sheltered" or something.

Question...would I get banned if I proposed the fully hypothetical (not-based on any evidence) idea that some of these threats could be artificially created to sky-rocket the spotlight of the show? If so, I don't propose it.

Honestly feel that way too. Maybe its the wording but... mmm, kinda reads like "See see~! now check out my links." Probably just too jaded about people using stuff like this for their own gain lately.

That said, there is no reason for said reaction on her opinions. No one should feel threatened or scared, especially over something like this. If she honestly felt it was needed to get authorities involved, good. As long as her and her family are safe, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

And, hey! Look! It is you again:

While I have no doubt she probably really did get threatening comments that probably warranted police involvement, this just helps promote herself.

Which is downplaying the severity of the threat trying to imply she is being benefited by them.

This has been an awful last couple of weeks for people who consider themselves gamers.

It most certainly isn't a good look that there is so much rabid antagonism within the hobby. It's just sad, really. I can't for the life of me understand what these sort of actions even remotely hope to accomplish.

Edit: I of course don't direct all this at you, I'm just using the bolded text as a point of discussion.

Yeah I know all that, I've somewhat followed this whole thing since her first video, which I hated as many others did not for her points of contention, but she had 0 spoiler warnings and completely ruined the end of Castlevania for me lol.

But the point I was talking about in particular was the end of the one tweet where she says "I'm safe. Authorities have been notified. Staying with friends tonight. I'm not giving up. But this harassment of women in tech must stop!" It just read as "hey I'm pretty distressed about this, but let me bring attention to my main point." Just personally reads as hocking her point as more important than taking her situation more serious which previously stated seemed to be very serious given what was said and her decision to call the cops.

Then again its on twitter and I chalk that up to people trying to convey entire fucking paragraphs in 140 characters. If it was two tweets I'd have no problem I'm sure. (side point:which is easy to do in a language like Japanese!)

Buzzman

Banned

Specifically this tweet (or whatever social media she was using), not the situation.

Oh so you're saying a part of this is to help promote herself? I don't see how your argument improves in any way.

OK then question: So what? Why does it matter? It doesn't change the fact that she received the messages. Some ulterior motive of self-promotion doesn't change the fact that the responses to her far outdo themselves in comparison to what she does, which is make videos.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

Specifically this tweet, not the situation.
Right, but what made you want to call it out? What about that sentence seemed noteworthy enough to draw attention to? It's insidious isn't it!?

Altazor

The "Don't lump me in with her" post:

All these sentiments signal a basic failure to take responsibility or act against anything happening here.

sorry, are you saying that people can't reasonably disagree with her videos and still be outraged at this? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

If someone really hates her that much, they would be better ignoring her. This kind of thing just makes her more known. Although you have to wonder how many of those threats were a real danger. Is she doxxed or something?

Buzzman

Banned
That Gandhi dude was a total attention whore by the way, it's obvious he took advantage of the brutality of the British Empire.

Shinta

Banned
we have manchildren like that in this very thread:
The man-childs in this very thread,[...]

Obviously, such man-children have never really spoken to women in depth
PSA: You know, using the word "manchildren" is incredibly sexist. The primary means of manipulating men, throughout history, is from outside forces claiming to be the ones who determine when someone is officially "a man." Whether it's encouraging people to join the military, whether it's a hunting ritual where you have to kill an animal, or any other form of masculine action or desired outcome, the effect is the same. It's denying the innate humanity of men, and claiming that if they don't act a way you don't approve of, they aren't "really" men.

How would it play out if we all tried to determine how women should act to "really" be considered women?

So if you actually care about issues like sexism and equality, manchildren is a pretty insulting term, rooted in the primary type of sexism leveled at men throughout history - and you should probably stop using it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
This... Though people's attempts to psycho analyze it are pretty funny too.

and without a hint of irony:

And this is super scary thinking... that everything you see is just some trope, that somehow people are brain washed into a particular way of thinking.

PSA: You know, using the word "manchildren" is incredibly sexist. The primary means of manipulating men, throughout history, is from outside forces claiming to be the ones who determine when someone is officially "a man." Whether it's encouraging people to join the military, whether it's a hunting ritual where you have to kill an animal, or any other form of masculine action or desired outcome, the effect is the same. It's denying the innate humanity of men, and claiming that if they don't act a way you don't approve of, they aren't "really" men.

How would it play out if we all tried to determine how women should act to "really" be considered women?

So if you actually care about issues like sexism and equality, manchildren is a pretty insulting term, rooted in the primary type of sexism leveled at men throughout history - and you should probably stop using it.

thank you, brave soldier, for standing up for us men! keep fighting the good fight, lord knows we need it in these here tryin times...

but if it makes your feelings less hurt, maybe i'll just call em "children" next time

TyrantII

Staring to realize the only difference between asshole jocks and nerds is the jocks are able to hide their sociopathic tendacies when it serves their immediate interests.

Damerman

i wholeheartedly disagree with this post. I don't agree with most of the points that she presents, that is the whole point of dialogue. But therein lies the problem with these threats and these over reactions from the radical people, they ignore that its a dialogue. The fact that she is on a stage constantly emitting a differing opinion is threatening to people who disagree with her because they have no way of engaging in dialogue.

Their immediate response is a knee jerk reaction that only serves the purpose of somehow rebutting. They posted a youtube comment that largely went unread, and in order to compensate for not being able to fully engage her in dialogue, they do something a kin to a publicity stunt as a form of a rebuttal.

Sensible people, who don't get caught up in dissonance in how to respond to a video on youtube, just formulate their opinions without really going to any kind of extreme to be heard. Granted, they have place like GAF or reddit to engage in some kind of debate regarding the youtubers criticism, but that is the whole point, they have a place where they can actively participate in the controversy, rather than trying to be the loudest person in the room.
I think some people think of like like a "full disclosure" situation. Like, they're communicating that even those who disagree with the merit of her work think this stuff is monstrous. Particularly if there's a concern that normal criticism of her work could be conflated with this category of threats and harassment.

also this ^ don't know how i got lost in my post and forgot you address directly what you wrote.

Frolow

Banned
Who gives a shit, is this really the time for a fucking semantics argument? People who see those tweets and feel extremely bad afterwards for several hours might as well be called triggered. Does it really hurt to be a little cautious at times?

That's not what the meaning behind the word is at all. Just because you feel upset after reading something disgusting or offensive doesn't mean you were triggered, it just means you found said content upsetting. My Grandfather was a Vietnam veteran who suffered from legitimate PTSD. I remember one incident where he heard the sound of a breaking glass and he went into an episode, thinking the sound was a bomb blast. That's what an actual trigger is, not a word that should be used interchangeably with "upsetting" or "offensive" The term has been so far derived and misused from it's actual, intended usage that I find it hard to take anyone who uses it seriously.

You're shameless.

That's what I find the hardest thing to deal with. A woman has been threatened to get raped to death, but oh no, Lactose Intolerant doesn't want to talk about that at all. No, Lactose Intolerant only wants to suggest that the victim here might be using this to her advantage.

Because it's important to make sure you criticize the woman who wants to make video games less aimed solely at boys, NO MATTER WHAT.

Look at your posts. Ask yourself if they are convincing. Ask if it's believable that they aren't being written by a bigot.

If you think so... then I guess that's one person who is falling for it.

Alienous

Which is downplaying the severity of the threat trying to imply she is being benefited by them.

Isn't that how her Kickstarter got so popular in the first place? Similar threats of violence were made, and those threats weren't physically carried out. It isn't an alien thought. In this thread, though, I'll agree that it is quite the non-sequitur. These attacks are a utterly horrible thing to do to another human being. That should be the focus of the responses.

Buzzman

Banned
That's not what the meaning behind the word is at all. Just because you feel upset after reading something disgusting or offensive doesn't mean you were triggered, it just means you found said content upsetting. My Grandfather was a Vietnam veteran who suffered from legitimate PTSD. I remember one incident where he heard the sound of a breaking glass and he went into an episode, thinking the sound was a bomb blast. That's what an actual trigger is, not a word that should be used interchangeably with "upsetting" or "offensive" The term has been so far derived and misused from it's actual, intended usage that I find it hard to take anyone who uses it seriously.

Well guess what, PTSD has differing kinds of severity.

Saw this in the other thread. Absolutely disgusting how some people act. (And unfortunately Neogaf isn't immune to having some of these people)

Guri

The "Don't lump me in with her" post

See, I don't really agree with this. I do find all these threats and harassments that has been going on for a lot of time (and not just this month) are really scary and psychotic. But I don't see a problem with people saying they sometimes don't agree with her arguments. It's not about "don't lump me in with her". She's trying to create a debate and there are times we won't agree with what she's saying. Sometimes we will. It's part of the debate to improve the situation that women have been facing for years. I didn't agree with some of her videos, but her last one was brilliant. I think what people are trying to say is that not agreeing with her doesn't justify the harassment and threats she's been getting.

Right, but what made you want to call it out? What about that sentence seemed noteworthy enough to draw attention to? It's insidious isn't it!?

Because it seemed out of place in the seriousness of the tweet. It seemed to try to take something bad and try to gain out of it. Literally the next line could have been about a new video she made if she made videos regularly.

udivision

That's language for you bro. Eventually there'll will be a new word after it's arbitrarily decided that trigger warning is either too old-fashioned or not PC. Best not to worry about it.
EDIT: Anyway, back on topic...

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
One of the comments you posted comes from a member with a tag that indicates he's a 9/11 truther and believes the moon landing was a hoax. So, yeah, he does seem to engage in conspiracy theories.

Is Anita Sarkeesian a reptilian?

Just throwing out a hypothetical.

Shinta

Banned
thank you, brave soldier, for standing up for us men! keep fighting the good fight, lord knows we need it in these here tryin times...
I'm against sexism against any gender. As I tried to explain to you, if we all sat around trying to determine how women should act to really be considered women, and not "women children," we'd all be banned.

Instead of just making fun of me for pointing out a completely legitimate instance of sexist slang, you should think about it for a while and consider not using it anymore. Thanks.

antigoon

have you considered joining the mens human rights movement

Because it seemed out of place in the seriousness of the tweet. It seemed to try to take something bad and try to gain out of it. Literally the next line could have been about a new video she made if she made videos regularly.

OH ho hohoh. Let's get in another dig at Anita, because why not right?

Paskil

You're shameless.

That's what I find the hardest thing to deal with. A woman has been threatened to get raped to death, but oh no, Lactose Intolerant doesn't want to talk about that at all. No, Lactose Intolerant only wants to suggest that the victim here might be using this to her advantage.

Because it's important to make sure you criticize the woman who wants to make video games less aimed solely at boys, NO MATTER WHAT.

Look at your posts. Ask yourself if they are convincing. Ask if it's believable that they aren't being written by a bigot.

If you think so... then I guess that's one person who is falling for it.

Damn...we need a Mortal Kombat "Fatality" voiceover option, for posts like this.

Shinta

Banned
have you considered joining the mens human rights movement

No, I'm an egalitarian.

Did I say something offensive to you? Is it that inconvenient to think about sexism and reconsider how you act? You could instead just think it over and stop supporting the use of a sexist insult.

udivision

Instead of just making fun of me for pointing out a completely legitimate instance of sexist slang, you should think about it for a while and consider not using it anymore. Thanks.

This isn't the time or place, unless you're fishing for the kind of replies that you don't want to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom