• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tropes vs Women author Sarkeesian vacates home following online threats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

If you believe /v/, she took it herself after logging out of her Twitter account because she made those tweets as a false flag operation.

It's a good thing no person of sound judgment would believe /v/.

Well, it does seem weird that anybody would be so immediately on top of grabbing screen grabs in that manner. But whatever.

PBalfredo

Where do I go to donate for the production of a meta-documentary about Sarkeesian's video series and all of the internet reactions surrounding it? If you want to get to the heart of sentiment against women in video games, that's where the real story is.

pants

Because we don't call women "womanchild."

For real. That's it.

I dont want to be part of this particular thread of conversation, but against my better judgement I want to point out that societally 'manhood' is a big thing. It carries a bunch of bullshit expectations on it's back like being a bread winner, protecting your family and all that old time shit. Being denied, or threatening to deny someone's manhood is like being/threatening to ostracize someone from society. This is the same bullshit feminism fights against, you're not helping by trying to downplay or deny it.

Trey

"The internet." Is just you.

It's people.

Stop inserting a level of remove that isn't there. The internet is simply the means by which people are talking to each other. It's not a sentient being. "The Internet" is just people talking.

Less focus on "the internet" and more focus on the people making shit worse for everybody.

I agree. Confront the fact that the best and worst of humanity are still humans; individuals that feel and think.

These threads are never about her... They are about 2 sides of the feminism debate airing their dirty laundry at each other.

I do hope they catch the guy if he is indeed local

The shitty part is that she can never really relax

The only way out for people seems to be to just go completely dark to the public until the storm passes over. How are we supposed to have any public voice on the internet with this threat looming over us

iammeiam

Well, it does seem weird that anybody would be so immediately on top of grabbing screen grabs in that manner. But whatever.

If you've been the subject of Internet attacks for as long as Sarkeesian has, and side accusations of making up/exaggerating/bating the abuse, at this point, I'd think it weird if you didn't screencap the more vile threats.

Renzoku

Banned
Man, someone cranked this shit up to 11.

I wonder how you decide it's safe to return home? They could keep this up perpetually.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I dont want to be part of this particular thread of conversation, but against my better judgement I want to point out that societally 'manhood' is a big thing. It carries a bunch of bullshit expectations on it's back like being a bread winner, protecting your family and all that old time shit. Being denied, or threatening to deny someone's manhood is like being/threatening to ostracize someone from society. This is the same bullshit feminism fights against, you're not helping by trying to downplay or deny it.

In this case, I think the term fits. And I'm comfortable in denying their manhood. They're not men. They're angry boys, sometimes in a grown man's body.

SerRodrik

People are spinning conspiracy theories and talking about how Anita is actually just out for attention while there's actual photographic evidence of the threats and how serious they are. Imagine how many conspiracy theories would pop up if she just came out and said she was being seriously threatened without the screen grabs to back that up? How many people would claim she was just making it all up for publicity then?

udivision

How a person can get so upset about someone voicing an opinion about a gaming related subject is beyond me, that person must be really mentally unstable. A normal person who would disagree with someone's opinion would just move on with his life. This is just disgusting behavior.

The sad part is, this could be a completely "normal" person.

"With one tweet, I can redirect an entire plane."
"Just by making some threats, I can scare someone of out of their house."

Divorce these thoughts from any notion of consequence, and... well the result is the past few weeks.

What these people physically have to do is so little: just type away at their keyboard.

antigoon

Right, and every feminist would agree that these ideas are harmful. But coming into a thread about a prominent woman being terrorized and derailing it with "what about the men" is not helpful.

Further, this happens with such alarming frequency that it is easy to assume that the people doing this are acting in bad faith. It's an easy, surefire way to shift the conversation.

So that's why there's a strong reaction against it.

Is there any other industry or "community" where this kind of talk is common
The absolute volatile reaction to equal rights or better representation or pointing out the fact that racism and sexism is so common?

Any solution besides outright banning people for being a hair out of line?

maxcriden

I'm not a mod of course, but as the person who made this thread, but I would like to ask that from this point forward, we try to refrain from name calling.

Mogaman

Banned
My Thoughts & Prayers are with Anita and her family. Track town the bastards who made these horrible threats and make an example of them. Charge them with everything from hate speech & crime to terrorist treats & stalking. Put them on public display as an example to all who try this in the future.

The gaming community needs to self regulate it's self and stomp out this vileness where it lives.

KoopaTheCasual

In an era of skepticism and victim blaming, you think it's weird to take precautions? I mean, shit, just look at the first page in this thread where a (now banned) user thinks that she's just 'playing it up'

Now imagine what people like him would say if she didn't get screen grabs?

pants

I thought of something else. Is local enforcement enough?

What if this is some punk in some random part of the world that just happened to get all this info from the internet (or some other local person that knows her)
tbqh that guy kinda doesnt seem american to me. I cant put my finger on it, but the language is just so fucking weird (apart from being vile)

Gestault

Seriously. I don't know if the bigger problem is that these delicate men can't extend their empathy to others, or if it's that they think of women as "others" in the first place.

The "offending" comment that I've seen a string of lamentations about explained the concern in terms of how the particular label and behavior would apply to either gender. It politely highlighted petty, gender-based name-calling. It's bizarre to me that anyone would defend something so trivial and self-defeating.

Damerman

It is reasonable to state and understand that basic concept of disliking a youtube video but not wishing bodily harm to someone, but I don't think that is the motive behind the posts with the qualifiers. Take the example of dead celebrity threads. "I don't think Robin Williams is funny but RIP". It is strange for the need to first establish a boundary between you and the subject matter, in this example and the ones I was referring to in this thread, by first taking them down a peg, only then to put forth a conciliatory sentiment immediately after. I does nothing to illuminate the absolute basic form of humanity that of course you can disagree with someone's opinion/work and not think they deserve rape threats or death. Do you see why it comes off as odd that some people are compelled to say that first? It is the very core of being a decent human being to understand such a simple fact. I feel it implies there are videos she could start releasing where a threshold can be reached where it becomes ok to start saying, "well her videos were really bad, so..." Imagine how absurd it would be to visit the Ferguson thread and have post after post starting with, "Well I don't like black culture, but it seems like this cops shooting unarmed teens thing has gone too far" I don't see any merit in expressing things in that format.

Given the nature of these threads in the past, and seeing the way a lot of people view women and Anita, even on GAF, I think it is being generous to assume the people who feel the need to qualify sentiment toward the deceased, abused or harassed are some how just reminding us of the basic human right that it is ok to disagree with someone and not want them dead. I remain of the opinion that I find it odd that people need to start off their posts with stating that.

this argument is completely disjointed. I'm black, i don't like Black culture in the US, I don't think Blacks are wholly to blame for their situation, but the Police are getting to get too far with shooting unarmed citizens? and what is with the sensationalize of controversy? just because its a sensitive topic, it doesn't mean that you have to do your utmost to placate the victims of injustice. Lets be objective here. How are you going to convince me of your proposition and your argument if you don't even know where i'm coming from? If anything, that first disclosure that you don't like relieves tension and gets rid of any noise that there might be. If everyone is saying the same thing and ignoring the context in which they approach a sticky situation, then i think the said situation won't ever fully be solved.

Horrifying and disgraceful behavior is hardly saying enough when describing this punk.

I can't imagine going through my life like that, living in fear just because of an opinion.

Divorce these thoughts from any notion of consequence, and... well the result is the past few weeks.

What these people physically have to do is so little: just type away at their keyboard.

its kind of fucked up

The internet is so beautiful and awful man. This reality is making us complacent though

"This shit is totally normal and comes with the territory"

Fuck that man. Something needs to change here.

pants

In this case, I think the term fits. And I'm comfortable in denying their manhood. They're not men. They're angry boys, sometimes in a grown man's body.

There's no such thing as manhood brah, You are who you are. People who hold on to this manhood club thing are in for a world of living up to shit they need not care about. This isnt the place for this talk tho.

Again with the Semantics

Can we even carry a legitimate discussion or are we gonna keep derailing and pretending we dont have a common understanding of what people mean when referring to "the internet" in this context.

Oh, I know what you meant. The point I'm trying to make is that people don't even seem to realize what they're doing when they use that term. They're creating a false "other" that alleviates responsibility, and places a portion of the blame on a nebulous, vague third party.

It's assisting in blame-shifting, however slight. It's not semantics at all. It's paying attention to the words you're using and how you're using them.

It's pretty important that people stop immediately going "THE INTERNET" and indirectly making it harder to address what's wrong. It feeds into the idea that there's nothing to be done about shit like this because "THE INTERNET" is an intangible concept, as opposed to what it really is - just people talking.

Discuss the people. Don't complain about the communication method. If I got a threatening phone-call, I'm not going to say "Ugh, Verizon." Basically: citing, complaining about, or referring to "the internet" is obfuscation. You're feeding into it if that's your first response to any situations similar to this fucked up bit of business.

Also - any citing of "The Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory" should be retired, especially considering it's been thoroughly disproven, most clearly and easily, by the man who drew the strip that introduced it into the world.

Anyway, there are a lot more men who need to start telling other men that what they're doing, the way they're behaving, and their manner of thought is thoroughly fucked up. Because right now there are a lot of men who are content to just let some of this shit slide, because it doesn't directly affect them, and speaking out against this sort of dehumanizing behavior isn't worth the potential hit to their enjoyment of the games.

Right, and every feminist would agree that these ideas are harmful. But coming into a thread about a prominent woman being terrorized and derailing it with "what about the men" is not helpful.

Further, this happens with such alarming frequency that it is easy to assume that the people doing this are acting in bad faith. It's an easy, surefire way to shift the conversation.

And I genuinely think it's the correct reaction to it.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
There's no such thing as manhood brah, You are who you are. People who hold on to this manhood club thing are in for a world of living up to shit they need not care about. This isnt the place for this talk tho.

Yeah, sure thing brah.

My Thoughts & Prayers are with Anita and her family. Track town the bastards who made these horrible threats and make an example of them. Charge them with everything from hate speech & crime to terrorist treats & stalking. Put them on public display as an example to all who try this in the future.

The gaming community needs to self regulate it's self and stomp out this vileness where it lives.

It does bother me the LENGTHS that certain communities went to vilify Anita/Zoe/Phil/ and various other people throughout the years and yet barely attempt to go after people who do far more objectively evil shit

Is it really because its just too rampant and mundane/normal to them due to exposure to this shit daily on their own sites?

antigoon

The "offending" comment that I've seen a string of lamentations about explained the concern in terms of how the particular label and behavior would apply to either gender. It politely highlighted petty, gender-based name-calling. It's bizarre to me that anyone would defend something so trivial and self-defeating.

see:

Right, and every feminist would agree that [ideas about "traditional manhood"] are harmful. But coming into a thread about a prominent woman being terrorized and derailing it with "what about the men" is not helpful.

Toxi

Banned
I agree manchild is offensive here.

Children don't deserve to be compared to these wackos.

Also, this entire discussion on manhood doesn't have to do with the woman who can't even sleep safely in her own home.

A lot of people seem to see threats on the Internet as inherently frivolous, but there is nothing silly about someone telling you they know where you live and then describing in detail how they want to rape and kill you.

They need to track down every comments they can, find the people who sent them and give them jail time for this kind of shit. The people who make these kinds of threat either have no sense of reality at all or are just overblown shit-heads who think they are invincible.

Maulik

I think the primary problem is that we have too many people who feel that by enjoying video games in their present incarnation and when faced with Mrs. Sarkeesian's critiques come to the irrational conclusion that she is painting them as also being misogynist. I am perfectly at peace with the notion that i both do enjoy video games but can also acknowledge their shortcomings.

People need to understand that just like any piece of media, gaming is subject to criticism that does not necessarily equate the consumers of that media with the criticisms being leveled at it. This why you see some reflexively defend any of her examples because they may have enjoyed that specific game and feel that their enjoyment is now being equated with their own personal feelings on the matter.

My one hope is eventually Ms. Sarkeesian's series will feature the games that she feels are moving in the right direction thereby heightening awareness of those developers.

NickFire

I want to believe she and her family are not in any real danger. But there are so many crazy's out there I can't blame her for not chancing it.

Such a shame when people act like this. Disagree to the cows come home but threatening people for simply expressing an opinion (which you are free to ignore ) is never tolerable. Hopefully the authorities catch some of these people and make an example out of them.

Lisker

The internet isn't the problem, point the finger at the real problems:

Men and misogyny.

I hope you are being sarcastic because she is not the first and won't be the last to have this happen to them, or that this only happens to women...

I don't agree with feminism/anita at all but I do not wish her any bodily harm. I'm guessing this is just another internet kid getting his kicks...

I want to believe she and her family are not in any real danger. But there are so many crazy's out there I can't blame her for not chancing it.

Such a shame when people act like this. Disagree to the cows come home but threatening people for simply expressing an opinion (which you are free to ignore ) is never tolerable. Hopefully the authorities catch some of these people and make an example out of them.

I think so too, it's better to be safe than sorry.

SerRodrik

There is a stunning lack of self awareness in some of the responses to sexism discussions. Women try to talk about how their opinions are marginalized, disregarded, or ignored, and are then interrupted by men to talk about men's issues. Not that I disagree that there are problems with how men are portrayed in fiction too, but come on. That's not the topic right now. The reactions to all of these discussions seem to consistently prove that they are discussions that need to be had.

Crocodile

Sorry but I don't think anyone who is "normal" (however you want to define that), does something like this when given the opportunity. You don't have to be an especially nice or pleasant person but having some degree of empathy and common sense will tell you that there are better, more constructive, more humane ways to express disagreement.

besada

Banned
Things this thread isn't about:

Manchildren and the appropriateness of the word
Clinical and popular definitions of trigger warnings

A lot of other things.

GET BACK ON TOPIC.

Toxi

Banned
I hope you are being sarcastic because she is not the first and won't be the last to have this happen to them, or that this only happens to women...

I don't agree with feminism/anita at all but I do not wish her any bodily harm. I'm guessing this is just another internet kid getting his kicks...

I think so too, it's better to be safe than sorry.
Said Internet kid posted her address. Even if he doesn't mean it, someone else might.

Weird? Or really smart? Tweets can be deleted by the person who made them, you know.

And while it's true that the police could send Twitter a search warrant to get access to the account, user information (IP address) and maybe deleted tweets, isn't it easier to have made a screenshot or two and give it to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom