• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True System Sellers. What systems have you bought for ONE game?

CTLance

360: Rez HD.

I don't even own an HDTV set... but I could finally lay the DC to its rest in a stinky box in the basement. RIP, my dear console. RIP.

Yackie

I sold my PS2, among other things, when I got my 360. Now I'm considering buying a PS2 again just to try out Persona 4.

Let's see;

Dreamcast - bought at launch on the basis of playing the Sonic Adventure demo in a Electronics Boutique.
Gameboy Advance - bought one as soon as I saw that there was a Fire Pro game available.
Nintendo 64 - Body Harvest. Seriousley. One of the most underrated games on the system.
Playstation 2 - bought one for Shadow of the Colossus.
Xbox 360 - re-bought a Japanese 360 to play DeathSmiles (and other Cave shooters released in the future).

Wilsongt

Wii -- Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
PSP -- Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
PS1 -- Final Fantasy Tactics
Sega Saturn -- Shining Force III

T Ghost

Got my first console in 1978 when I was 6 and since then I never asked for/bougth a single console because of one single game.

But from my 3 closest friends, one got the orginal Xbox because of Forza, the other the PS2 because of Winning Eleven and the third the Xbox 360 because of netflix.

So, there probably is such a thing as a killer app but It never happened with me.

KillJade

Banned
I bought an NES (well, my parents did) for Super Mario Bros.
I bought a PSone for Resident Evil 2: Dual Shock Edition.
I bought an Xbox for Halo: Combat Evolved.
I bought a PS3 for Heavenly Sword.
I bought a GameCube for REmake.
I bought a Genesis for Sonic the Hedgehog.
I bought a Dreamcast for Sonic Adventure.

Tonza

I recently got a PS2 to play Tales of the Abyss. I have a PS3 but it's PAL and Abyss wasn't released here.

But really I got PS3 and 360 just for the sake of those being new consoles. Same with last generation. I allways get caught in the hype of new console launching. (though Wii was an exception) :lol
Well maybe Heavenly Sword affected my purchase of PS3.

baultista

Banned
TBH I only bought my 360 for the EA NHL franchise. I enjoy a few of the 360 exclusives, but otherwise I do all of my gaming on the PC.

I do not believe in buying consoles for single games, the following is a list of games that i wanted to play first when i purchased the consoles, I have yet to get myself an X360.

GCN - Melee/Tales of Symphonia
Wii - Brawl
Ps2 - FFXII/Tales of the Abyss
Psp - Tales of Destiny 2/Tales of Rebirth
Ds - Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
X360 - Tales of Vesperia
Ps3 - FF13/FFv13
Xbox - Halo(Turns out FPS make me physically sick, shame really)/KOTOR(found out i LOVE WRPGs)

jayb

i wonder what percentage of people who post in these list threads actually read everyone else's lists...

:lol

ha1f

I bought my PS3 for LBP, after the first round of unveiling/press MM did for it. Then I waited. And waited. And waited. Then I waited a bit longer because someone got offended by something.

Obviously I picked up other games in the mean time, but that's the last time I buy a console for a single game.

gutabo

Agent Icebeezy said:
I bought my Dreamcast for Marvel vs Capcom 2.
THIS. Other (mostly capcom)fighters helped too.

Also nintendo consoles for mario/zelda/metroid.

Sony and Microsoft consoles... many games, not just one.

woodypop

Street Fighter II got me to buy a SNES.

(The imminent removal of all BC prompted my purchase of an MGS 80G PS3. :lol )

Cru Jones

The only time I have ever bought a console for a game was an XBOX for Halo. The other killer app for me was that it had a DVD player and I didn't have one at the time.

Like most others I've never really bought a system literally for a single game. Too be honest, I usually decide to buy a system long before I actually purchase it based on multiple games released, as soon as I save enough money I'll buy it even if there's no "system seller" to go with it. For example, the first few games I bought for my PS3 were Burnout Paradise, Ratchet & Clank, and Warhawk; just a combination of games I wanted on the system.

Sure, in the back of my mind I was thinking Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War 3, Grand Theft Auto 4, etc... knowing that the system would have all of those to eventually. It wasn't like I was demoing some system seller and thought "OMG, I got to have this system now to play this game!"

I guess... if I waited long enough I would of eventually bought each of my systems with a single game in mind. Would of definitely bought my PS3 when MGS4 released if I hadn't already had it, would of bought my N64 when OoT released if I hadn't already bought it to play WaveRace, Goldeneye, and Star Wars, probably would of bought my Gamecube when Wind Waker released if I hadn't already bought it to play Smash Bros and Pikmin. Dreamcast is probably the closest I was to doing this but I was thinking of both Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure when I purchased that.

I almost bought a Wii for Smash Bros Brawl but it ended up being such a big disappointment after being such a huge Melee player that I decided to pass on the system all-together.

I bought a Dreamcast for Shenmue.
I bought an Xbox for Shenmue 2 (I actually bought the game before I bought the system)
I bought a PS3 for MGS4

Koomaster

Gamecube: Animal Crossing

You can also file this under effective advertising since the commercials for the game really got me interested. If you recall they were the Real World parody commercials with people in the Boy/Girl masot puppet suits.

You could probably also credit the original Animal Crossing for getting me to buy other systems as well. I was entering college and was not interested in gaming anymore at the time. But once I had AC and a GC, eventually decided to buy other games for the system which ended up keeping me interested in gaming to where I purchased the PS2/DS/WII/PS3 and tons of games for each now.

dojokun

Banned
I bought my Wii for SSBB.
I bought my 360 for Mass Effect.
I bought my PS3 for MGS4.

And I know it's not a console, but I built my gaming PC for TF2, and COD4 on PC (I was loving the idea of 64 players on Shipment).

Daante

PSX for FF VII - (great)
PS2 for Devil May Cry - (great)
Gamecube for Metroid Prime - (great)
Wii for Super Mario Galaxy (great)
PS3 for MGS4 - (great)
Xbox360 for Gears 2 (great)

I bought PS2 and PS3 mostly for MGS 2 and 4. My other console purchases haven't been driven by a one game so much. I really wanted a Dreamcast as a kid for Sonic Adventure but never got around buying it. :D

I thought I was buying a 360 for Perfect Dark Zero and Project Gotham Racing 3, turned out I should have just bought it for PGR3.

Looking back on it, I shouldn't have bought a 360 until Dead Rising came out.

kodt

Banned
N64 for Super Mario 64
PS2 for GTA3
Gamecube for Rouge Squadron 2
PS3 for MGS4

I had about 5 games in mind when I bought 360, none really above the rest. But Crackdown and Gears of War were in the list.

i bought a wii for the one piece games and only 1 was/will be released in america
ra9jis.gif

entremet

Honestly, I always kind buy system for one game. That's always the motivator for me.
360: Dead Rising
PS3: MGS4
Wii: WiiSports

Link1110

Gamecube for some unnamed (at the time) Tales game. Region modded of course, because who knows if these things come to America.

PSP on launch day because of Tales of Eternia.

Toothaiker

Neo Member
I don't think I would ever really buy a system for one game...but a feature? Yes, I would. However, the original Xbox might have moved my to buy it day one just for Halo even without the DVD player.

Xbox - Halo/DVD player
Xbox 360 - XboxLive
PS3 - Blu Ray

Kunan

I really wanted Smash Bros so my dad bought me an N64 for it (I had until then been a "I would rather play SNES" kinda guy). He couldn't find it at walmart, and instead brought me home a little game called "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time." He said he "hoped I would like it" since I liked the one for SNES, and would return it if necessary. Little did he know, he bought me one of the greatest games of all time :lol

Top Bottom