• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True System Sellers. What systems have you bought for ONE game?

I bought my PS3 for Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I originally had no interest in the PS3 at all until I heard it was getting an updated version of my favorite game.

Feenix29

NES - Mario and Tetris
SNES - Chrono Trigger
Genesis - Sonic
Game Gear - Sonic
Playstation - Gran Turismo and FF7
PS2 - Gran Turismo and FFX
N64 - Never had one, always played it at friends house. Wouldve bought it for the wrestling games.
GameCube - Won at a contest, never wouldve bought it otherwise.
Dreamcast - NBA 2K
XBox - Halo
DS - Brain Age
360 - Got as a gift but wouldve gotten it for Halo 3.
PS3 - MGS4 then gave it to my brother, will rebuy when GT5 and FF comes out.

Sadly, i sold all those systems after i was done with them and have been regretting it. Dont think ill ever get a Wii or PSP, only system i have left is the 360 which is out for repair, fuck you MS.

Saturn for X-Men vs. SF.
DC for MvC2.
PS1 for FF7.
And I guess technically N64 for Super Mario 64 since that was like the only game out at launch.

Zelda has sold me every Nintendo system. It's always the reason I buy them.

The day I buy a Wii is the day Zelda comes out. TP doesn't count.

Gio_CoD said:
With the talk about system sellers out there, what game(s) have been true system sellers to you, in the sense that you had to buy a system to play said game?

Let me clarify the question:

What system have you bought because you just had to have that one game for it? And if you're going to look at it like "Well, I bought it because I really wanted one game, but all the other games made the decision easier." fine, but just tell the game that pushed you over the edge.

I bought a PS1 because I had to have Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. I played it at a friend's house and thought it was just about the pinnacle of gaming (and then THPS2 came out).

I bought a PS2 because I played GTA3 at a friend's house, and then determined that was actually the pinnacle of gaming (and then Vice City came out).

I bought a PS3 because of MGS4. Not so much because I thought the game would be unbelievably awesome or anything, but because I just had to know how the story ended at that point, and I knew it wasn't coming to the 360 soon if ever.

Exactly this, I also just bought a 360, for Banjo Kazooie and Alan Wake.

Blizzard

Banned
Wii for Brawl. I still have fond memories of launch night, of playing kirby in the Gamestop instore tournament, and playing the game on a big projector until like 4 a.m. (I think I actually had Galaxy before Brawl came out since I got the Wii early). I went through some online Wii website that monitored stores for when the thing was actually instock, so I could order one for the normal price from Amazon. I think I didn't even have a TV until like a year later, so I had to always play Brawl through a hacky semi-lagged USB converter thing that fed into my PC.

Earlier than that, I bought my first game system ever, a Nintendo DS Lite, for pokemon diamond/pearl.

I don't play either system very much, but I think they were worth it anyway. :)

I basically bought my PlayStation 3 solely for Metal Gear Solid 4. I've had it for a year, and I only own MGS4, and both Resistance games. Without MGS4, there's no way I'd own a PS3. I suppose I bought my Xbox solely for Halo: Combat Evolved too. I played it at a friends house and my decision was made...I had to have one.

Redd

Tom Penny said:
So do all of you sell your consoles once you beat the games since you bought them for one game?

No I bought a GBC just to play Pokemon an Pokemon alone but ended up having a pretty big library of games when it was all said an done.

Same thing happened with my 360. I really really wanted to play L4D without having to buy a whole new PC an now have a good amount of games to play on it.

TheExodu5

Banned
PS2 -> Final Fantasy X

PC:

GeForce TNT2 -> Counter-Strike
128MB RAM -> Counter-Strike
P4 1.7GHz / GeForce 2 MX -> Counter-Strike
GeForce 4 Ti4200 -> Counter-Strike

P4 3.4GHz / GeForce 6800 -> HL2/Counter-Strike Source
C2D E6600 / GeForce 7950GT -> Counter-Strike Source
8800GT -> Episode2, Portal, TF2
GTX 275 -> World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King (namely, Ice Crown)

Amazing how many upgrades Counter-Strike pushed me through. :D

Launch GBA for Fire Pro Wrestling is the only time I've ever bought a system for a single game. Of course, I was expecting new Pokemon games and such so I don't know if that counts.

For Saturn the only game I had was Virtua Fighter 2. I was young though and couldn't afford any other games, but VF 2 was my main reason for buying the system and I played the shit out of it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Bought a NES because my cousin got one for Christmas of 87 i think and he had Pro Wrestling. It was AWESOME!

Bought a Genesis for Strider

Bought a SNES for FFII (IV) Same cousin had this and it was AWESOME!

Bought a PS1 for FFVII and RE (which came out right around the $199 price drop)

Bought a N64 for SM64....later sold it

Bought an N64 again for OoT, could not resist that at all.

Bought a DC for Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II (it also had a price drop)

Bought a PS2 for FFX and MGS2

Bought a 360 for Mass Effect

Bought a PS3 for FFXIII (360 version ?!? who knew)

Will buy a Wii for new Zelda or possibly my child.

Did not buy the GC for any game, it was given to me as a birthday gift.

Atari 2600: none (too young to remember)
NES: Super Mario Bros.
Genesis: Sonic 2
Saturn: Street Fighter Collection (Super Turbo baby)
Dreamcast: Sonic Adventure (launch)
PS2: none (I bought a PS2 out of desire of owning one but not for any parituclar big games)
Xbox: Jet Set Radio Future
GC: Rogue Leader
PS3: Virtua Fighter 5
360: Virtua Fighter 5 Online
Wii: none (I bought a Wii to upgrade my GC)
GB/GBA: none (I wanted a portable)
PSP: none (launch, just wanted it)
DS: Sonic Rush

Blizzard

Banned
I guess I should mention in the future, I'm (stupidly?) considering getting a DSi just so I'll have a bigger screen to (legally) play Scribblenauts on. :lol

Kydd BlaZe

N64- Super Mario 64
Xbox- Halo: Combat Evolved
Xbox 360- Perfect Dark Zero (with the promise of Halo 3 a little further on down the road)
PS3- MGS4

Tom Penny said:
So do all of you sell your consoles once you beat the games since you bought them for one game?
Sold my PS3 immediately after beating MGS4. Hated the game, and nothing else really interested me on the system enough for me to keep it around.

Like an idiot, I buy EVERY damn system at launch (including a Jaguar for AvP, 3DO for Road Rash?! and Phillips CD-I for um...yeah) and I overpaid for my PS3 to play Resistance...and only Resistance for quite some time.

Don't really regret it though, as ever since Uncharted and MGS4 dropped, I've felt more than justified in my purchase.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Jedeye Sniv said:
Haha, flashback! I bought mine for Q2Test, I remember the coloured lights when you start the first level blew my tiny mind. I was a bit let down when they dialed them down for the retail build... I still remember that awful CLUNK-click of the card cutting in for the first time and me praying it was meant to do that. Mem'ries...
Seeing PC games under Glide for the first time was freaking amazing. i remember the first time i saw it.. my friend got a Voodoo card and it came with Tomb Raider and Turok (i think). When we first fired it up we thought that TR was running in Glide mode and it was still software :lol We were kind of confused.. doubting ourselves whether or not it was really better. When we finally fixed the problem we were blown away :lol :lol Clean graphics like those were so freaking unreal back then.. the first HD era :lol

eznark

Banned
I bought a PS2 for Madden (since it was shit on 3D Nintendo platforms), a PS3 for the MLB The Show franchise and a PSP for CFW (PSX RPG on-the-go play? yes please).

Also built my latest computer for Crysis and Orange Box.

My arcade Supergun - Marvel Super Heroes
Playchoice 10 Arcade Cab - Megaman 3
Sega Megadrive - Sonic the Hedgehog
Sega Mega CD - SW Rebel Assault (not quite sure what possessed me to make that decision)
NES - Super Mario Bros
Dreamcast - Marvel Vs Capcom
Xbox - Steel Battalion
PSP - Ridge Racer
PS3 - Metal Gear Solid 4

PBz0r

Banned
chewydogg said:
I'll eventually buy a PS3 for The Last Guardian.
This. Except I bought one right away because I knew Team ICO would have their next game on the PS3 at some point.

Overall though, I feel system sellers apply mostly to Nintendo consoles (read: Mario and Pokémon).
SNES: Super Mario World
N64: Pokémon Stadium (yeah)
GBC: Pokémon Gold
DS: Pokémon Diamond
Wii: Super Mario Galaxy (before reviews)

Currently thinking about buying a PSP for PeaceWalker and Valkyria 2.

PS1 - Twisted Metal. Me and my best friend played the heck out of that game when we were 13/14.
PS2 - GTA3. Loved the original GTA, saw the videos and pics for 3, did what needed to be done.
PS3 - GTA4/MGS4. Was close to grabbing a 360, but the BR player, wifi, free online and MGS4 sealed the deal. I imagine if I were a Halo/Gears fan things would have turned out differently, but I ain't. So fickle.
Upgraded my PC - Mass Effect/Empire: Total War/X3:TC. I desperately need a new PC, but dropping $200 and bringing my aging rig up to spec will have to do for now.

Marchizmo

Sega Saturn - Dragon Force, I loved the game so much I traded my playstation with my cousin.
Playstation - Metal Gear Solid.
N64 - Starfox 64.
X-box - Halo.
X-box 360 - Halo 3

Only system I had to be sold on was the 360 as I was no fan of the original Xbox. Waited for a while after launch, seen nothing that made me sit up and take note (aside from Ridge Racer 6) until Dead Rising and Senko no Ronde appeared, there were loads of Gears previews and Idolmaster has just been announced so jumped in with a NTSC-J console :)

Bought the Gameboy Color so that I could play Red/Blue in color.

Bought the Gamecube for Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Bought the Gameboy Advance for Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire.

Bought the PS2 for Final Fantasy X.

Bought the Xbox for Halo.

Bought the Wii for Twilight Princess. Knew Melee's sequel would eventually be announced for it as well.

Bought the DSLite for Pokemon Diamond & Pearl.

Bought the Xbox 360 for Mass Effect and Halo 3.

Bought the PS3 for MSG4.

EktorPR

• I remember watching Halo: Combat Evolved being played on an XBOX booth back when it launched. I purchased one the week after.

• I remember watching Super Mario 64 being played by this otaku guy that had imported it from Japan just when it released there. I proceeded to start a "Buy me an N64" campaign directed to my parents.

• I saw Uncharted: Drake's Fortune thru media and fell in love with it almost immediately. I traded in my XBOX and Gamecube for a PlayStation 3.

Gandara

I've never bought a system for one game. I think the only ones I bought with no games in mind is the XBox 360 and PS3. I guess the closest would be the PS3 and Folklore.
Normally I have a 3 game rule for systems.

Mugaaz

PSX: Battle Arena Toshinden
PS3: Metal Gear 4
N64: Mario 64
Wii: Zelda
Dreamcast: Soul Calibur
PSP: Monster Hunter

PS2: New games + backward compatibility
Xbox: Nothing specific
360: Nothing specific
Gamecube: Nothing specific

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog
Saturn: Panzer Dragoon
Dreamcast: Sonic Adventure
PS2: GTA III/MGS2
PS3: MGS4
PSP: Lumines
iPod Touch: Peggle

Feindflug

PSX: Tekken 2
N64: LoZ: Ocarina Of Time
DC: Soul Calibur
PS2: FFX
GC: LoZ: Wind Waker
XBOX: Halo: CE
360: Gears Of War
Wii: LoZ: Twilight Princess
PS3: Uncharted

GBASP for Friends of Mineral Town(I did put 70 hours on FFTA on my sisters GBA PHAT though)

DS for the Mario Kart Bundle(two tone Red Silver DS)

Dementia

N64 for Mario Kart
Gamecube for Mario/Zelda
Wii for Mario/Zelda/Metroid
PS3 for LittleBigPlanet

So, I guess I've only bought two consoles on the basis of one game.

I usually just buy whatever console because of the overall catalogue (lolfuture potential) but I pretty much bought a 360 specifically for Gears 2.

Top Bottom