• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True System Sellers. What systems have you bought for ONE game?

jaydogg691

Dreamcast - Sonic Adventure
Xbox - Halo 2
DS - Pokemon Diamond/Peral
PSP - Gran Turismo (and it's finally coming out!)

schild

I've owned every system since the Atari 2600, including crap like CD-I. But as far as buying because of specific games being released:

PS2: GT3 A-Spec
Jaguar: Cannon Fodder & Alien vs. Predator (totally worth it)

reKon

Banned
Wii: Super Smash Bros Brawl

^ I'm pretty positive that this game alone moved consoles for those hardcore Nintendo gamers.

jaydogg691

schild said:
I've owned every system since the Atari 2600, including crap like CD-I. But as far as buying because of specific games being released:

PS2: GT3 A-Spec

Jaguar: Cannon Fodder & Alien vs. Predator (totally worth it)

Oh, I forgot about this. I remembered when my cousin bought GT3 and I was so jealous of him. That is when I knew I had to ditch the PS1 and get a PS2.

LM4sure

Banned
PS1 for Resident Evil. That was seriously the only game I owned for the PS1 for a year or more. Great memories.

FireFly

I bought an Xbox for Halo 2 (I owned the original on the PC), and a 360 for Halo 3. Not sure if the Xbox purchase was worth it (Halo 2 turned out to be hugely disappointing for me), but I'm very happy with my 360, and at this point the other games I own on the system justify the purchase.

Llyranor

I guess we literally bought a 360 for Gears of War. There wasn't really much else for the system back then.

We got the PS3 as a gift, so it wasn't bought for any specific game. But, Demon's Souls has been the first game for which I've been really really glad to have a PS3, and I'd have considered it a system seller. We refer to the PS3 as the 'Demon's Souls box'. I might have said LBP if they actually had Online Create :/

Buggy Loop

Sega master system - Wonder boy in monster land
SNES - Super mario world
PSX - Final fantasy VII
N64 - Star wars shadow of the empire (am i the only one that thought it was badass and fun to play back in the days?)
PS2 - Devil may cry
Gamecube - uh....iirc i bought it @ eternal darkness' release
Xbox - Halo
X360 - Gears of war
Wii - zelda twilight princess
DS - bought it at launch, had absolutely no killer app that made me buy it far as i remember, i just knew it would develop into one of the best platform ever though :p

A pentium 233 hz (iirc) with a voodoo 3D for unreal :eek:

Feenix29

Looking at everyones list, i wonder how big of a difference it would be against casuals now. I used to work at a mom and pops VG store and EB a long time ago and this is what people bought with their systems, from what i remember:

Dreamcast sold due to the 2K Sports series. We used to have this running on our TV and people would watch, ask what it is, then say ring it up.

PS2 for GTA, Madden and Gran Turismo. But it was mostly GTA, this bad boy was HUGE once word of mouth got around. NO ONE and i mean no one knew how big this game was going to be and when it hit, holy fuck did it sell a shitload of systems.

XBox was 90% Halo, lol. I dont remember any other game people bought it with.

GameCube was basically any Mario game.

soco

NES: Zelda
SNES: Final Fantasy 2
Genesis: Phantasy Star 2
Dreamcast: Sonic Adventure
PS2: Kingdom Hearts (dunno, it just seemed like such a good idea)

(in some of these cases, the games i listed were the first games that made me want to buy the console, but often due to money i couldn't buy them then. i had to wait until i saved up enough money, and by then other games were out or i'd played other games)

cramcakes

Atari 7800: Asteroids
NES: Goonies 2 (yeah, really)
SNES: Mario World
PS2: SSX
Gamecube: Smash Bros
360: Bioshock/Orange Box/Guitar Hero (and I even snagged that Fry's deal that came with Bioshock and OB!)
Wii: Zelda
PC (April '09): Left 4 Dead (and Starcraft 2, someday).

apujanata

SNES : Zelda ALTTP
PS1 : FF7
PS2 : Dynasty Tactics
GC : Zelda:TWW
GBC : Pokemon
GBA : Fire Emblem
Wii : Zelda:TP (together with Wii Sports)
DS : Nothing (just wanted to play GBA games and DS games in 1 machine)
DSL : Smaller size.

It has only happened at two occasions.

XBOX 360 for Fable II.
Nintendo DS for Phoenix Wright series.

And I´m very satsified with those games. Even though I wouldn´t have kept my XBOX360 if Fable II was available for PC or PS3.

Yeef

I will be buying a DS for Scribblenauts, but only because I also know there's some other things that I can pick up for it as well.

Josh7289

I will be getting a PSP for Valkyria Chronicles 2, unless it turns out bad. I'm not liking the character designs in it so far.

Yeef said:
I will be buying a DS for Scribblenauts, but only because I also know there's some other things that I can pick up for it as well.
Yeah, that applies to me and the PSP, as well.

Dunlop

Sega Saturn for Virtua Fighter

I almost had a stroke at the surprise early launch, I lived and breathed VF in college.

jergrah

I wouldnt say I bought these for 1 game, but these are the games that made me really want the system:

Genesis - Mortal Kombat with blood (and I already had a SNES with MK)
PS1 - Ridge Racer
N64 - Mario 64
XBox - Halo
DS - Mario Kart
PSP - Wipeout
Dreamcast - Soul Calibur (Soul Blade on PS1 is one of my top 5 all time games)

Super Mario World
Final Fantasy VII
Ocarina of Time
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Kanji Sono Mama Rakubiki Jiten (DS)
Oblivion (360)

I can't remember why I bought a GC, but I think it may have been for either Metroid Prime or REmake.

I've owned an NES, Game Boy, Game Gear, Virtual Boy, PS2, PSP, PS3, and Wii, but they were either gifts or systems bought for their libraries in general.

Magnus

I don't think I ever bought a system for just one game. It was more like, I bought it *when* I did for the one game that came out then, but I justified it by knowing about other upcoming games for the system.

GCN: Resident Evil remake
PS1: Battle Arena Toshinden (lol), justfied by FFVII of course, which I knew was coming
N64: Mario 64
PS2: Twisted Metal: Black
Game Boy Advance: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Wii: Wii Sports
Nintendo DS: Mario 64 DS
Genesis: Sonic & Knuckles

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I would not have bought a PS3 if MGS4 wasn't an exclusive. That said, I would have bought one for Trico (Last Guardian) eventually.

I guess Gears of War sold me an Xbox 360, but I just really wanted to jump into the next generation at the time, since the Wii and PS3 were just coming out.

jsnepo

PlayStation 2 - Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater (had PC version of MGS2)
PLAYSTATION 3 - Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots (I got more from the console though)

Cynar

NES for Mario Bros 1
SNES for Mario World
Gameboy for Tetris and Pokemon
NDS for Phoenix Wright and Pokemon
N64 for Mario 64
PSX for Final Fantasy 7
GCN for Smash Bros Melee
Wii for Smash Bros Brawl
PSP for MGS: Portable Ops
Xbox 360 for Street Fighter 4.

Didn't get a PS2 because I just borrowed my brother in laws all the time. :lol

jufonuk

not tag worthy
NES had super mario bros but really gald I got it for SMB3

Mega Drive Road Rash

SNES Super Mario World

N64 for Mario 64 of course

Japanese Saturn for Virtua Fighter

Dreamcast for Shenume

GBA for Mario Kart Advanced

PS2 for Virtua Fighter IV

Xbox for Halo

DS for Mario 64 DS

PSP for GoW Chains of Olympus

360 was for Street fighter IV

Wii for SMG

True System Sellers aka Killer Apps

Was anti-Sega in my youth, now i'm anti-anti-Sega. Also, due to the advent of VC, it eliminated my desire to go back in time and buy a Master System, Genesis, TG16, 600 dollar Neo Geo...

Purchased
NES for Mega Man 2
GB for Metroid II
SNES for Super Metroid
GBC for Pokemon Red
VB for Teleroboxer
PS1 for MGS1
GCN for Resident Evil Remake (this here's the bait: http://cube.ign.com/articles/098/098335p1.html)
DS for Brain Age
Wii for Red Steel No More Heroes
PS2 for Ico/Shadow of The Colossus/Okami three-way (just got my PS2 yesterday) - bought SoTC first.

Plan to buy
Genesis for too many great games (Gunstar Heroes, Strider, Shinobi, Sonic 1-Knuckles, Streets of Rage...)
Saturn for Nights
N64 for Starfox 64 (with rumble)
Dreamcast for Shenmue
XBOX for Ninja Gaiden
360 for Ninja Gaiden II
PS3 for MGS4 (got the game need the system)

???
Ultra 64 for Killer Instinct
64DD for Mother 3 (64-bit edition)

I bought a PS3 for Metal Gear Solid 4. Blu Ray beating HDDVD a few months before sweetened the deal. However, Valkyria Chronicles is now probably my favorite system exclusive.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
SNES - Actraiser
N64 - Super Mario 64
PSOne - Final Fantasy VII
Gamecube - The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Xbox - Halo:CE
Playstation 2 - Shadow of the Colossus
Wii - Monster Hunter Tri
GBA - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past + Four Swords
DS - Castlevania Dawn of Shadows
PSP - Final Fantasy Tactics

PBz0r

Banned
So people don't have to read every single post to get an idea, here are the greatest system-selling franchises according to GAF in order. Results taken from the first three pages (150 posts).

Metal Gear Solid
Mentioned in 35 posts
Super Mario
Mentioned in 32 posts
Final Fantasy
Mentioned in 26 posts
The Legend of Zelda
Mentioned in 24 posts
Halo
Mentioned in 15 posts
Resident Evil
Mentioned in 12 posts
Super Smash Bros.
Mentioned in 11 posts
Soul Edge/Calibur, Grand Theft Auto, Metroid & Pokémon
All mentioned in 8 posts
Gran Turismo, Gears of War & Dead Rising(!)
All mentioned in 7 posts
Street Fighter
Mentioned in 6 posts
God of War, Sonic the Hedgehog & Blu-ray :lol
All mentioned in 5 posts
Castlevania
Mentioned in 4 posts
Mario Kart, Ninja Gaiden, Tekken, Phantasy Star, Shenmue & Mass Effect
Mentioned in 3 posts
Ratchet & Clank, Disgaea & everything by Team ICO
All mentioned twice

Bar none the most mentioned individual game is Metal Gear Solid 4. Most surprising to me are the amount of Resident Evil fans in this topic, the way Dead Rising actually sold 360's for some, and how Soul Calibur is up there with friggin GTA and Pokémon. |:

NIN90

PBz0r said:
Bar none the most mentioned individual game is Metal Gear Solid 4. Most surprising to me are the amount of Resident Evil fans in this topic, the way Dead Rising actually sold 360's for some, and how Soul Calibur is up there with friggin GTA and Pokémon. |:

Because it's fuck awesome? I dare you to say anything bad about DR.

Magnus

Did anyone really buy a system for Pokemon, though? Everyone and his mother (literally) had a Game Boy in 1998.

Animator

I bought the PS3 for the Team ICO game, on launch.

Quite happy with my decision so far.

--

360 for lost planet and then bioshock.

Wii doesnt have anything that interests me so far.

PBz0r

Banned
NIN90 said:
Because it's fuck awesome? I dare you to say anything bad about DR.
I've honestly never played it, but according to the first three pages Dead Rising is as integral to the 360's success as Gears of War and Halo 3. I wasn't expecting that.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
PSP - Crisis Core FFVII, Jeanne D'arc
PS3 - FFXIII/Versus XIII, MGS4
DS - Phoenix Wright
360 - Dead Rising
PC - Latest upgrade because some Source Engine games were killing my old setup.

ghibli99

N64 has to take the cake here for me... I bought an import N64 for SM64 and had to use a FAQ to translate/understand all the goals. Sold it shortly thereafter because there wasn't crap for it. Bought one again later for Ocarina of Time because I had to have it. Loved it, but then another dry spell. Sold it again. Bought my third and final one for (I think) Yuke! Yuke! Troublemakers (Treasure), and by then and from there on out there were lots of good games (DKR, SF64 and later stuff like Paper Mario, Sin & Punishment, etc.). But man, those early years were pretty brutal being an N64 owner.

Besides that, definitely the Sega Genesis for Ghouls'n Ghosts.

Asparagus

N64 for Ocarina of Time. I didn't even want one since I already had a PSX and the games were so expensive but just had to have that game.

O.DOGG

I haven't bought a system just to play a single game on it yet, but I'm considering getting a PS3 exclusively so I can play MGS4.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Tom Penny said:
So do all of you sell your consoles once you beat the games since you bought them for one game?
Didn't that happen in Japan shortly after Blue Dragon and MGS4 came out?

Top Bottom