• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump 2018 Budget Proposal includes steep cuts to science, health, the poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lost souls there do not deserve empathy, pity, or any human emotion other than disgust. They are unrecoverable. Their hate spreads like a virus. It needs a vaccination.

These people don't have anything else to lose. They just want to hurt others not like them and bring them down to their level.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
He's going to make another recession. But he's a con-artist/real estate mogul, so he will profit from that.

"Run govt as business" is incredibly absurd.

You're supposed to cut taxes to the rich first THEN start slashing budgets to make up for the deficit!

The brain drain this generation will be real.

The budget also fully defines and dismantle the Chemical Safety Board, a small agency that responds to chemical releases and coordinates with/regulates industry for the safe handling of chemicals to protect the public and employees.

About damn time! /Sly Sludge

JeTmAn81

What exactly is the mainline conservative rationale for wanting to continue to increase the military budget? I'm not really interested in snarky answers here, I'm looking for motivations that seem reasonable to the people holding them.

And it will be aimed specifically at minorities.

Operation Human Shield from South park will be a real thing.

latest

fixedpoint

An actual "America First" budget (if you just took the phrase at face value rather than what the slogan has been made to mean) would literally have almost all of these arrows in the opposite direction. All of the agencies being cut are inward looking agencies that directly cater to the American people themselves. The areas getting major increases, with the exception of Veterans Affairs, are all outward looking areas of government.

It's literally a "Rest of the World First" budget.

Spot on.

Let them eat cake
sOkyxLa.jpg

What exactly is the mainline conservative rationale for wanting to continue to increase the military budget? I'm not really interested in snarky answers here, I'm looking for motivations that seem reasonable to the people holding them.

They're corporate handouts to incur favors (i.e. cushy jobs) for legislators. It's pure corruption disguised as patriotism.

wisdom0wl

The brain drain this generation will be real.
Yep. A lot of people I'm in school with right now are planning to leave after graduation. Idk if this is a representation of a majority of people's feelings or just a small anecdote.

I think the real damage this administration will do is ending that it's the beginning of the end for the US's appeal as a place for technological advancement. In turn this will hurt the innovation here in the long run.

Donald Trump and the legion of dumbasses unmasked America for the world to see what it truly is.

BriGuy

I do cancer research at a children's hospital. The proposed cuts to NIH funding are going to destroy us. Childhood cancers are rare compared to adult cancers and thus aren't "profitable" enough for industry to be sinking a ton of resources in. There are a lot of good people who are going to lose their jobs if this comes to pass, to say nothing of how it's going to affect scientific progress in general.

It's like the president is waging a war against his own people.

daveo42

Banned
And it will be aimed specifically at minorities.

I could actually see ICE being given the authority to make immigrants citizens if they are allowed to be conscripted into the military and then sent off as basic infantry to more dangerous parts of the world. Basically send them out to die. No need to worry about VA benefits, health care costs, and you get cheap military labor out of the deal.

Empty

while it was obvious he was full of hot air, campaign trump genuinely did run against both parties and was quite perceptive about how wasteful a lot of military commitments were - see his comments on nato where he was critical of how european countries underspend on defense because they know usa will of course pick up the slack, or his attacks on the iraq war not from the perspective of humanitarian cost but from financial waste of it.

it would have been interesting to see him properly go for things like large infrastructure spending or try and go for single payer on healthcare like aspects of his campaign suggested he would. instead he's running as a generic republican with this budgets cuts to finance more pointless military spending and his healthcare plan cutting taxes for the rich while throwing millions off insurance. rubbish.

Shoeless

Are the fervent supporters who voted for him going to be affected, and if so are they aware?

I think they will be, but they won't think they will be.

It's kind of the same "But some day I'll be a winner" mentality that makes a lot of middle and lower class people oppose taxing family estates. It it no way affects them at their current economic class, but because of the myth "Some day that's going to be you that's wealthy, and then the government will be coming for your family money," that feeling that they will one day be that winner sitting at the top of the pyramid makes them oppose the policy even though right now it's just benefiting the people that are actually hurting them.

Gotta protect American from foreigners

And that's not snark... that's the reason. They're coming to get us so we need a powerful and expensive military machine to fuck them up.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
I could actually see ICE being given the authority to make immigrants citizens if they are allowed to be conscripted into the military and then sent off as basic infantry to more dangerous parts of the world. Basically send them out to die. No need to worry about VA benefits, health care costs, and you get cheap military labor out of the deal.

eh soldiers are already pretty cheap and displacing them for foreigners doesnt sound like a good plan

they will be displaced by robots soon enough anyway

Could you have imagined Trump as president? At this point, nothing is outside the realm of possibility.

I'm just old enough to have heard this for yeeaarrs. People swore this was going to happen at the start of Afghanistan and Iraq. It didn't. I mean, you're right in that I didn't imagine Turmp as POTUS but here we are.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
: /
Me too.

As it is, proposals mentioning climate change are already being rejected, though nobody is explicitly saying that is the reason for rejection. I fear it is only going to get worse.
Aye. No one bats an eye about majorly funded studies , but it's the foot soldiers of science who keep it growing.

Federal/public funding and grants is already hard enough.

This thing doesn't have a chance in hell of passing. If Congress can't pass its own healthcare bills, there is 0 chance for the administration. This is all a dog and pony show.

I'm just old enough to have heard this for yeeaarrs. People swore this was going to happen at the start of Afghanistan and Iraq. It didn't. I mean, you're right in that I didn't imagine Turmp as POTUS but here we are.

It depends on who the war is against and how extensive it is. If Trump wants to invade and occupy Iran a draft will be necessary.

Could you have imagined Trump as president? At this point, nothing is outside the realm of possibility.

Yes, but that doesn't mean people need to start throwing out batshit insane ideas and passing them off like they have a high chance of happening to get people to start panicking about them.

Yeah, this whole situation is crazy and we need to be prepared for what he's can do, but this constant dismissing of logical facts just because "Trump is president, anything's possible" only invites more chaos and disarray on our side.

Which is not what's needed right now. What's needed is to focus on the task at hand. The crazy health care bill, the travel ban, this insane budget, his climate denial, etc.

He hasn't said anything about drafting immigrants. Could he start talking about that at some point? Maybe, I don't know. But the point is, he hasn't, so the focus should be kept on what he HAS been talking about.

TyrantII

Bombed back to 1929

Bernie Bros and both sides are bad fools are about to see how bad the hurt can really get. Some were already hurting and it's about to get factors worse.

Of course they're too stupid and ignorant of just about everything to correctly understand what they've done.

This really is Nadar/Floriduh 2000, but taken to the extreem. Now we shall dive into the Maelstrom. Good luck everyone, you are on your own.

It depends on who the war is against and how extensive it is. If Trump wants to invade and occupy Iran a draft will be necessary.

I mean, I'm not trying to change the subject away from a crappy federal budget but if's and but's like this without actual analysis is what get's people to buy into bullshit. I don't have anything off-hand to say you're wrong, but the military likely won't ask for troop numbers to necessitate a draft as an all-volunteer force is generally preferred.

daveo42

Banned

The difference here is more to flex military might than to "use" it, though it might eventually come to that. What better ways are there to show your military might than by having the biggest toys, the largest arsenal, and a massive army?

Ac30

Aye. No one bats an eye about majorly funded studies , but it's the foot soldiers of science who keep it growing.

Federal/public funding and grants is already hard enough.

Any of you considering moving to Canada/EU/China/Japan? They all have vibrant research communities.

A budget with an apocalyptic worldview from a guy who believes the apocalypse is nigh.

Yep, this is from President Bannon all right.

The difference here is more to flex military might than to "use" it, though it might eventually come to that. What better ways are there to show your military might than by having the biggest toys, the largest arsenal, and a massive army?

We already use it in a variety of ways. The more baffling question is why are we proposing cuts to State Dept funds when we're becoming more openly active in Syria and massive cuts to the EPA when whole municipalities and townships don't have quality water.

when I think of making a country great, that doesnt mean slashing the budget on programs to help the countries people prosper. Like what exactly does more military spending do for us that it already has been for decades just fine? This makes me so upset I want to cry.

That is something where every citizen should start to protest. The muslim ban looks like a small nuisance in comparison to that. I would rather see NASA defunctioned than 1 Cent is less spent on education.

Ac30

when I think of making a country great, that doesnt mean slashing the budget on programs to help the countries people prosper. Like what exactly does more military spending do for us that it already has been for decades just fine? This makes me so upset I want to cry.

Ah, so it had the effect they wanted then. Progressives crying and/or sad? Trump supporters love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom