• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump 2018 Budget Proposal includes steep cuts to science, health, the poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sincerely hope that everyone who voted for this man sees the error of their ways, and votes against him in 2020. Likewise, I hope that they also cast votes in 2018 for candidates that will add to the opposition against him.

You voted for him because you wanted change and thought he was talking shit? Fine. I openly question your judgment, but not your motive (unless you haven't even goddamn TRIED to wake up, because that's willful and I don't want anything to do with that).

Don't do this again, America. We've got a ton of work to do that we know about, and the next few years will bring a series of curve balls. Every indicator points to this just snowballing out of control, and it will if we don't stop it now.

zethren

Banned
The stupidity of this proposal is staggering.

But that's what we get when we put fanatical amateurs into power.

Anyone still promoting the idea of having conversations with these people to understand where they are coming from, fuck off. Fuck right off.

This isn't even a complete budget.
Lord know what else gets cut that we don't know of yet.

Also, the proposed eliminations of the NEA, NEH, and CPB are enraging and disheartening.

It's easier to oppress people when they're struggling and downtrodden.

Also F the arts, can't have any of that creative liberal thinking.

Now what? Like, I'm serious. What the FUCK do we do now? Like I know this is preachy as all hell but what more can be done than just grovel? When will there any catharsis from this bullshit? Like, the travel ban getting temporarily overturned was one victory but stil, all of this, I'm just feeling despair and don't know what to do about it.

This is only a budget proposal. It still needs to pass Congress.

I sincerely hope that everyone who voted for this man sees the error of their ways, and votes against him in 2020. Likewise, I hope that they also cast votes in 2018 for candidates that will add to the opposition against him.

You voted for him because you wanted change and thought he was talking shit? Fine. I openly question your judgment, but not your motive (unless you haven't even goddamn TRIED to wake up, because that's willful and I don't want anything to do with that).

Don't do this again, America. We've got a ton of work to do that we know about, and the next few years will bring a series of curve balls. Every indicator points to this just snowballing out of control, and it will if we don't stop it now.

A lot of these people are probably thrilled that the defense and Homeland security budgets got increased. Nothing makes Republicans more proud than moar military, even if it affects themselves.

When 2020 comes around, even if the Dems put up a ham fucking sandwich for their candidate, its your civic duty to throttle anyone who says, "THEY'RE BOTH THE SAME!"

A lot of these people are probably thrilled that the defense and Homeland security budgets got increased. Nothing makes Republicans more proud than moar military, even if it affects themselves.

Maybe. They love the military, but they have never lived thriugh these kind of cuts to other programs at the same time.

Morts

What are the chances that the budget Congress passes resembles this?

The loss of NASA's Europa Lander and Comet Redirect missions hurt almost as much as their climate research.

On the good side, we humans will gradually develop the ability to ingest coal based water in the coming years. Note I said develop, or as the new science calls it - "creationist evolution."

Duxxy3

The loss of NASA's Europa Lander and Comet Redirect missions hurt almost as much as their climate research.

I doubt it will pass as is.

They will threaten a shutdown and come to a compromise somewhere in the middle.

tuffy

Somewhere around zero, I'd imagine. For instance, a Republican-led congress isn't going to cut agriculture by ~20% because their rural constituents who rely on those subsidies would tear them apart. In their minds it's supposed to be smaller government for other people, not cuts to things they use.

NASA

Cuts $102 million of funding from Earth science, terminating four missions aimed at understanding climate-change

Eliminates the $115 million Office of Education

Cuts $88 million from the Robotic Refueling Mission, which develops techniques to repair satellites
F***! This will likely affect me.

ShyMel

I want to say that I don't think this will pass in its current form, but I also didn't believe Trump would be president. It's awful to see cuts to agencies that we do need such as the EPA, Agriculture, Education, Health, and Labor while the DoD is ballooning up even more. It's as big as a blimp now.

Many, yes. But I don't believe that the bulk of them do. I still believe that the majority of Republicans, at least the majority of Republican voters, just don't know better because they have propaganda shoved down their throat, largely from candidates that have lied to them. It's human nature and damn easy to get caught up in a "movement", so to speak. I believe too that reality is going to slap them across the face good and hard here in the next few years, and for many, they already see that hand coming.

I respectfully disagree with their assessment that we need to spend more on defense. It's an important, and critical, aspect of the USA and our responsibilities to the world (NATO is in place for a reason), but if we're giving all of our money to defense, what are we protecting, other than the interests of the DoD and the people running it? If there's little to no investment in the arts, culture, academia, environment, etc, we're not protecting very much, in my opinion.

Many, yes. But I don't believe that the bulk of them do. I still believe that the majority of Republicans, at least the majority of Republican voters, just don't know better because they have propaganda shoved down their throat, largely from candidates that have lied to them. It's human nature and damn easy to get caught up in a "movement", so to speak. I believe too that reality is going to slap them across the face good and hard here in the next few years, and for many, they already see that hand coming.

I respectfully disagree with their assessment that we need to spend more on defense. It's an important, and critical, aspect of the USA and our responsibilities to the world (NATO is in place for a reason), but if we're giving all of our money to defense, what are we protecting, other than the interests of the DoD and the people running it? If there's little to no investment in the arts, culture, academia, environment, etc, we're not protecting very much, in my opinion.

Well it's also ironic because Trump has stated that he doesn't want America to play World Police yet here he is increasing the defense budget. And what's even worse is that none of the military personnel actually see any of that considering they get cuts left and right.

kswiston

Speaking of the wall, this budget only includes 1.5 billion for it.. that is probably barely enough to secure the land rights.. whooah boy.. do your job senate, hand Trump another loss.

Someone needs to start a class action lawsuit demanding proper compensation for the land they want to expropriate for that wall. Drive the costs way up.

Trump

The only things that matter are weapons and my wall

Fuck everything else

I really hope no one supports this nonsense budget

Krakn3Dfx

Man, Trump is really sticking it to the people who voted for him. I wonder if they'll be smart enough to see that or if they'll just keep believing the liberal boogeyman is to blame.

F***! This will likely affect me.

I'm pretty sure this new budget affects all of us.

Man, it depresses me to no end that we spend so much on defense versus the arts and sciences.

We're America. We should be creating and showing the world how wonderful we are by encouraging creativity, and instead we'd rather isolate ourselves and build weapons of war and bully people.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Man, Trump is really sticking it to the people who voted for him. I wonder if they'll be smart enough to see that or if they'll just keep believing the liberal boogeyman is to blame.

I think they will still support him because he isn't Obama.

Both sides are the same

nMHVdog.png

I'm willing to bet money that the budget proposal has President Bannon's handwriting all over it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

An actual "America First" budget (if you just took the phrase at face value rather than what the slogan has been made to mean) would literally have almost all of these arrows in the opposite direction. All of the agencies being cut are inward looking agencies that directly cater to the American people themselves. The areas getting major increases, with the exception of Veterans Affairs, are all outward looking areas of government.

It's literally a "Rest of the World First" budget.

Apathy

Those of you smart enough that voted dems don't deserve this. Sorry too many idiots either didn't vote or voted for trump or a third party that lead to this idiocy.

dramatis

Are there any charts that show the actual monetary amounts? I'm guessing that 9% increase to defense is larger than all the cuts combined. Puttting out a chart like this is helpful to see but will be celebrated by those on the right who hate those programs anyways.
Click on the link in the OP...

Oersted

An actual "America First" budget (if you just took the phrase at face value rather than what the slogan has been made to mean) would literally have almost all of these arrows in the opposite direction. All of the agencies being cut are inward looking agencies that directly cater to the American people themselves. The areas getting major increases, with the exception of Veterans Affairs, are all outward looking areas of government.

It's literally a "Rest of the World First" budget.

Not even that, they are cutting foreign aid and still want trade wars.

Its "We want war. We want to support the rich. Get fucked everyone else."

I remember unfollowing someone on social media immediately after the election for cheering Trump's victory and saying, "Maybe now the US will stay the fuck out of other countries' affairs."

I wonder how her vote is feeling to her right now. Dat military spending.

The most important part is to convince people in swing states to call their Senators. The next four years really does hinge on how motivated Dems and Independents become to getting Trump out and a Dem in.

The Education Department faces a 14 percent cut under the Trump administration budget, which would downsize or eliminate a raft of grants, including for teacher training, afterschool programs, and aid to low-income and minority college students. The cuts would be coupled with a historic investment — $1.4 billion — in charter schools, private schools and other school-choice initiatives.

Fuck this entire administration. I'm gonna rant to my senators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom