• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump 2018 Budget Proposal includes steep cuts to science, health, the poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
All this talk about everyone uniting and setting differences aside, Trump is making record breaking amount of enemies every day. As bad as things are, people who oppose his ideals have to keep on fighting for what they think is right. One day things will turn around no matter how long it takes. Nothing lasts forever good or bad.

An uneducated, unhealthy and starving population with a huge military? Nothing can go wrong there.

Prepare for the war. The drums be banging.

EGM1966

So the plan is to increase stupidity, lower health, increase and dads of extension all the while heavily armed?

Certain white minorities exempted I presume?

This has to be fought.

I think Trump (or his team)sees this as a negotiation tactic. He can't get these without Congressional approval, so he asked for something truly outrageous that no one will agree on. Then taking moderate cuts doesn't seem so bad down the line.

What he's forgotten is that this isn't a cold boardroom but a whole country. People are going to see this and say, "Never." He's hurt his position for asking for lesser cuts by asking for something unconscionable.

Pretty much.

Pretty sure the conservatives have repeatedly and successfully played this strategy in UK over the past few years.

Beartruck

Budget doesn't mean much. It's the skinny budget anyway. Only top lines and such. Won't get the true meat of the budget for a while now. But regardless, congress will take this budget, rip it apart, then rebuild it as a political instrument that clearly defines their own (Congress's) priorities. most anything the president wants will take a back seat to a bi-partisan budget bill passed...and very little of the finished product can be credited to the Presidents Skinny Budget offered up March.
Hahahaha. You act like this isn't exactly what republicans want. They ain't changing shit.

It's almost like the poor people that voted for him should have known that the selfish rich dude who is also a known scammer wouldn't make life easier for them.

Amazing how it's never really an investment to better the lives of the American people with infrastructure and social benefits, but all about defense/weapons, pro-corporations, and keeping "others" at bay all to the detriment of the American people, just cut everything else that keeps us in good shape and checked.

All those people can just enlist now. Give your lives for the motherland!

Trurl

Banned
But Trump said that we wasted money going to war in Iraq and that we should use our resources to rebuild our country.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
That defense increase is just rubbing it in, like it doesn't already dwarf every country on earth. This is just cartoon villainy at this point.

drspeedy

It's time everyone starts very closely listening to -and actively dismissing- the Republican talking points that will be parroted for the next 3 weeks. You're about to hear the exact same specific, pointed and well-memorized set of buzz words and phrases from every congressman, senator, am radio pundit and Fox News contributor, all aiming to confirm that this budget plan just reduces excessive spending and government overreach into things that should be privately funded. "Common sense", they'll say, or "reduces big government", then wait for the Fox & Friends hosts to nod agreeingly
then cut to commercials for term life insurance and reduced-cost mobility scooters.

It's a guarantee.

They've already convinced most of their base that our military is ragged and worn paper thin, that we're somehow showing the world we're weak since our military is in steep decline and argue it has been for nearly a decade (basically since 2008... Hmmm). I personally know people who believe it since, you know, Rush is right. #megadittos

It's scary just how predictable and effective it is...

tbm24

It'll be entertaining to see the GOP argue for such major cuts to all these departments, in particular the state and justice department. This shit isn't passing. Hope dems shut the government down if they don't budge. At least this will be a damn good reason to do so. Not like this new budget will do anything to work for the people anyway.

Couleurs

Hopefully trump voters will wake up after they feel this

Who am I kidding lol

Nah, fuck anyone who voted for Trump; this is what they asked for when they voted for him. As they're laying on the floor starving to death or dying from a disease that would have been easily treatable if they had insurance, I hope the last thought that runs through their head is the realization that they did this to themselves. But it'll probably just be "America is...cough...cough...great.....agaaaain"

HotHamBoy

Really not worried about this, it's going nowhere and his lack of progress, control and competence is going to see bigger and bigger pushback as we approach primaries.

Between Trumpcare and this budget proposal I think he looks like a fool in a more reality-check way, i.e., "this is starting to effect white people"

Come again? Didn't Trump and each of his brainless cabinet picks make it in?

Why is your faith in America so bold?

"Give him a chance" is over now. Look at the Republican town halls. Trumpcare has already divided the GOP in a very clear way.

Remember this: The same America that elected Trump and re-elected W. also elected Obama twice.

He will be a single-term president because everything he has done has been a self-serving disaster. In 2020 he won't be able run on a platform that blames the sitting administration.

faridmon

Man, 100% budget cut for Arts and Performances is just outright crazy.

I assume it won't affect Hollywood and Broadway as they are privately funded, but I have feeling a lot of artists will emigrate from US to UK and Canada.

I still can't believe that figure.

Are there any charts that show the actual monetary amounts? I'm guessing that 9% increase to defense is larger than all the cuts combined. Puttting out a chart like this is helpful to see but will be celebrated by those on the right who hate those programs anyways.

tbm24

Man, 100% budget cut for Arts and Performances is just outright crazy.

I assume it won't affect Hollywood and Broadway as they are privately funded, but I have feeling a lot of artists will emigrate from US to UK and Canada.

I still can't believe that figure.
As far as Trump and Co are concerned, who has time for the arts and performances when they are at war with muslims who could be living down the street from them. Trump's Schtick is to make everyone feel terrified not inspired.

drspeedy

Didn't he run on cutting defense spending?

He stated that OTHER presidents recklessly spent on defense. And that Clinton would continue that trend.

Oh, and that America wasn't great anymore, which, given his budget request, apparently meant we don't spend enough on weapons and militarization of police/border control because we're wasting it on the eenvironment, medicine and arts?

Jombie

Their complete annihilation of the lower middle-class is almost complete. It's what they've wanted for a long time. Democrats are just as bad, right?

CHC

I really can't imagine this passing once people react to it. This isn't even a partisan thing, it's literally the darkest and most inhuman that a budget proposal could ever be.

Nipo

Come again? Didn't Trump and each of his brainless cabinet picks make it in?

Why is your faith in America so bold?

Because as written it goes against the beliefs of too many groups.

Let's start with Democrats, obviously they'll oppose it.

Freedom caucus members will like the cutting of domestic programs but will complain that it doesn't touch entitlements and that the defense spending offsets the cuts meanign it doesn't reduce the deficit.

Similar reasoning for non-interventionists who will say the defense spending is just more handouts to defense contractors.

All Senate republicans will be weary because to increase the def spending they'd need 60 votes to end sequestration (yes that is still a thing). and Mconnell has said he doesn't want to use the nuclear option.

Traditional republicans will dislike the loss to their district's funding like they do anytime there are budget cuts. State with republican governors will get flack because this budget offloads too much spending to the states and they'd need to raise taxes or cut services neither which is popular.

I'm not saying the budget that passes won't be a terrible one, I'm just saying it won't be THIS terrible one.

Swass

How can he make those cuts to transportation when one of his key campaign promises was to fix infrastructure?

Or cutting labor and commerce when you ran on job growth?

An uneducated, unhealthy and starving population with a huge military? Nothing can go wrong there.

Prepare for the war. The drums be banging.

It's probably inevitable, and I'll be damned if I let anyone I love go to war for Trump. Fuck him, fuck everyone who voted for him, and most importantly fuck the Republican party.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
We getting pointers from NK? Hunger and bombs, bless our dear leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom