• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump 2018 Budget Proposal includes steep cuts to science, health, the poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladmiris

I work in one of the departments on the cutting block (I am a disabled vet so I would be fine in the event of a reduction-in-force since everyone I work with can retire) but I am surrounded by Trump voters who are shocked! shocked! Trump would do this to them. Nevermind this has zero percent chance of passing, he just lost all support he may have had in the federal workforce, which was a lot more than he should have had in the first place.

Come again? Didn't Trump and each of his brainless cabinet picks make it in?

Why is your faith in America so bold?
Because cabinet members only need 51 votes meaning no D support whereas this budget needs 60 votes. There aren't enough Manchins in the Democratic side who would vote for this.

Republicans would have to kill the filibuster for this to get thru

mnannola

This is what happens when the political party in power has such a disrespect for the scientific community.

Fuck these ignorant assholes.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I work in one of the departments on the cutting block (I am a disabled vet so I would be fine in the event of a reduction-in-force since everyone I work with can retire) but I am surrounded by Trump voters who are shocked! shocked! Trump would do this to them. Nevermind this has zero percent chance of passing, he just lost all support he may have had in the federal workforce, which was a lot more than he should have had in the first place.

We tried to tell them so... but they wouldn't listen

It will pass if the GOP get rid of the fillabuster

Edit: maybe they thought that while working for the "swamp" they were not part of it

HotHamBoy

Trump border wall: Texans receiving letters about their land

Yvette Salinas, a Texan whose ailing mother owns a small parcel of land with her siblings near the Rio Grande was informed by the “Declaration of Taking” letter sent by DOJ that her 1.2 acres was worth $2,900, according to a story in the Texas Observer. She told the Observer that the family’s 16 acres has been in her family for five generations. The government’s letter asks recipients to sign in order to receive compensation, acknowledge that they “do not have an interest” in the case or do not intend to make a claim. It doesn’t really say what landowners should do if, like Salinas, they don’t want to sell their land.

The nearly 2,000-mile southern border is composed of federal, state, tribal and private lands. There are 632 miles of federal or tribal land -- 33 percent -- and the other 67 percent, most of which is in Texas, is private or state-owned, according to the Government Accountability Office (GAO). The Washington Post points out that the president would need Congress to pass a bill to acquire the tribal lands for his wall.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Sad :( GOP has no shame. All fucking millionaires and will die millionaires but will leave a mess behind that they made.

So make America great again had an invisible asterix after UHMERICA then didn't it? and was actually Make America's military great again

Guess it sucks for anyone who isn't in the military, the actual military or a wall builder

Drain that swamp and have the Trumpettes lap it up how you are making everything better

Dierce

Republicans are irrational fanatics. They are just like Isis and would be just as violent if not worse given the same conditions.

I really have no idea how we can fight such a monster.

jstripes

Banned
Cutting the budget for arts and culture by 100%? Not surprised. The right has always framed the arts as being the realm of the "elite". "Real folk" get their entertainment from sports and big budget Hollywood films.

Ekdrm2d1

stupid, poor, unhealthy, paranoid, and well armed.

And reminiscent of north korea where the only institutions that get any attention are the military and authoritarian ones.

What is with the wealthy (or Republicans) being paranoid?

Idiots.They're money is in banks or investments. Not like they hide millions of dollars in their closets..

Simmins

I really have no idea how we can fight such a monster.

By actually protesting for more than a couple days a year. The Womens march was a couple months ago and already everyone around me has forgotten about it and slipped back into being apathetic about politics. As great as the Science March may or may not be, a single day of protest does not do much to deter those in power when they realize the average voters attention span only extends to the next news cycle.

dabig2

"Steep" is not the word I would use. Draconian and life threatening are more apt descriptors.

What is with the wealthy (or Republicans) being paranoid?

Idiots.They're money is in banks or investments. Not like they hide millions of dollars in their closets..

They're really not afraid of losing their money. They're afraid of the "lessers" getting more money and having a decent life. It's not even greed, it's narcissism and also pure contempt for those beneath you.

Alanood

Hillary voters and those unable to vote: Stay strong, protest and don't forget to vote next year.
Trump supporters: They deserve it, I wish Trump keeps making their lives worse.
Non-voters: I have no sympathy.

BasicMath

I'm not a fan of a lot of the cuts but we really need to start somewhere and adjust as needed.

I wish he'd cut higher education more, though. We don't actually need to spend much on it if he's not going to do anything about the broken H1B system.

Wilsongt

I'm not a fan of a lot of the cuts but we really need to start somewhere and adjust as needed.

I wish he'd cut higher education more, though. We don't actually need to spend much on it if he's not going to do anything about the broken H1B system.

Uuuh.... Are you missing a /s there? I cannot tell anymore.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

How about cutting the alrady overbloated defense spending? If we really need to start somewhere, that's where it needs to start.

Uuuh.... Are you missing a /s there? I cannot tell anymore.
No one can tell anymore

Steejee

Trump is a smart business man. Cut funding to R&D and QC and increase funding to hookers and cocaine.

He did promise to bring back American jobs. Just didn't specify that it'd be prostitution and coca growing.

This budget is stupid, but I don't have much of an expectation of it getting anywhere. Congress-Critters aren't going to risk their own asses like Trump thinks they would.

RPGCrazied

Good luck getting this passed through congress. Not all Republicans are raving lunatics. Don't need many to say no to block.

Spladam

Because a small military and Mexican immigrants are the true problems facing the U.S. right now. You make imaginary problems and then throw money at them, and then fabricate imaginary results.

In his address he talked about how the U.S. used to "win" wars and now we just loose them, so $54 billion to the military is going to change this. The frightening part is that it gives a signal to our allies that we are looking for more wars.

Well, it's a good time to invest in military contractors, so put your money in the military complex and you'll be ok. Unless you're poor and depend on meals on wheels, then you're screwed, much like the EPA and the environment it protects. This is some bad news.

This is Bannonism. Destroy all institutions for the sake of the impending global apocalyptic war.

Hey, Trump supporters: fuck you and fuck your feelings.

I hope this founders the same way Trumpcare is.

Savitar

Know how lots of Republican senators were avoiding town halls because of the outrage over stuff?

They're so going to be trying to avoid even more now.

Makes me wonder how worried they are.

jmdajr

I swear a large group of former generals wrote the white house a letter telling them cutting the state department budget was simply...a stupid ass idea.

This makes no sense. The problem isn't the budget itself. You have to rebalance the tax code again.

I swear a large group of former generals wrote the white house a letter telling them cutting the state department budget was simply...a stupid ass idea.

They did, they have also been sounding the alarm that climate change is a national security threat. The reaction from the GOP? Crickets

npm0925

America will become the Notth Korea of the 22nd century, butting onto the world stage by virtue of its nuclear arsenal. If you support Trump you're a traitor or a dumbfuck.

So much awful stuff. On a personal level, the NIH cutbacks scare me as a biomedical engineering grad student who might not be able to get the Research Assistantship position I need to continue to fund my education depending on the exact nature of these cuts, how they affect my lab, and the discretion of my advisor

How do you cut the poor?

I guess by denying them healthcare.

The one genuinely earnest thing I thought he said during the Republican primary was "If I'm president, we're not going to have people dying on the streets."

I was dumb for thinking that piece of shit would even try to keep that promise.

Swass

Why not cut the DEA and DHS? There's going to be no more illegal drugs and immigrants once the wall is built right?

Speaking of the wall, this budget only includes 1.5 billion for it.. that is probably barely enough to secure the land rights.. whooah boy.. do your job senate, hand Trump another loss.

Drumpf is such a loser, everyone knows they want 98% of the US's budget to be Military and he just can't commit to it. sad
the other 2% would be congress salary

The one genuinely earnest thing I thought he said during the Republican primary was "If I'm president, we're not going to have people dying on the streets."

I was dumb for thinking that piece of shit would even try to keep that promise.

Aside from the fact that getting rid of the poor and homeless problem completely is pretty much impossible, I'm not sure why you would think the rich man known for conning people out of money for their work gave a single fuck about the poor and homeless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom