• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump agrees to 3-month debt limit increase

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/905474925166780417

Jake Sherman‏Verified account @JakeSherman 4m4 minutes ago

NEWS — TRUMP agrees to 3-month debt limit increase in meeting w hill leaders. All GOP leaders were opposed, per multiple sources.

Replying to @JakeSherman

TRUMP also agreed to extend government funding until December 15, setting up a wild final month of the year.

Replying to @JakeSherman

i am told by multiple sources Rs are furious. The Democratic ploy — to keep debt limit short term — worked. It took just a few hours

Jake Sherman‏Verified account @JakeSherman 30s31 seconds ago
Replying to @JakeSherman

TO BE CLEAR: Debt limit, govt funding expires 12/15. Ryan, McConnell, McCarthy were all opposed. Trump, Pelosi, Schumer were on same side

CazTGG

I don't think they'll be able to say Merry Christmas if they'll be focusing on keeping the government afloat.

chefbags

Chaos reigns.
giphy.gif

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I've long since quit trying to make sense of anything Dumbass Don does.

Another mind boggling move that I don't understand.

le.phat

If all of GOP leadership opposes this, then who is littlefingering Trump to act out on this matter? Lord knows he's too incompetent to think up something by himself, let alone be informed enough to have some kind of plan. Any kind of plan really. Who's still around to puppeteer him around ?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
He wants to make sure that government employees are able to get paid through the holidays so that they can confidently say "Merry Christmas"?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Trump is on no one's side but his own. Hilarious how Repubs licked his boots just to get a rubber stamp, yet they can't get anything done either due to their own incompetence or because Trump only looks out for number one.

This is kind of amazing... but doesn't mean much if the GOP is against it right? I mean, they still essentially hold the purse strings and can vote this down. It would be glorious for a direct confrontation of Trump and the GOP though, especially since he sided with Dems on this.

If all of GOP leadership opposes this, then who is littlefingering Trump to act out on this matter?

I know what you're aiming for here, but please don't use 'littlefinger' as a verb towards a person. It sounds really sexual.

On topic though: neat-o. Is the president still "new at this" now?

If all of GOP leadership opposes this, then who is littlefingering Trump to act out on this matter? Lord knows he's too incompetent to think up something by himself, let alone be informed enough to have some kind of plan. Any kind of plan really. Who's still around to puppeteer him around ?

You underestimate his ability to be a contrarian. He's upset at the GOP big wigs because they aren't getting anything done, so he's finding little ways to be petty to get back at them.

I guess Trump didn't want to take the political risk of fuckery with the relief packages.

Yea - if he fucks with Florida with this hurricane, he loses Florida in 2020.

He ain't THAT stupid.

Depending on how Irma plays out, they'll be expecting another 8 billion for relief in Florida too.

Trey

Trump is on no one's side but his own. Hilarious how Repubs licked his boots just to get a rubber stamp, yet they can't get anything done either due to their own incompetence or because Trump only looks out for number one.

it will be tough for the GOP leadership to ignore their party leader. it makes already horrible optics look even worse. And you already know Trump is going to use his bully pulpit.

zelas

Why were Rs opposed? Kicking the can down the road is their bread and butter.

Leverage and some of them actually were voted in to cut by any means necessary.

I'm personally waiting for the other shoe to drop. He's not going to do this without bargaining for something.

Ponn

Banned
He wants money for his wall and now for throwing at states effected by Hurricanes so he can look good.

Veezy

que?
Maybe I'm dumb, but how does this play benefit R's? Aren't they all about slashing the budget? I mean, what does Donny get out of this?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I figured he'd want a government shutdown. That means more vacation time.

Like most things Trump he just shouts or tweets about things with a conviction not matched by his actual knowledge on the subject. He probably thinks shutting down the government is not that big a deal.

Elandyll

Banned
The theory, if they play their cards right, is that it allows for the Dems to push a no strings attached, DACA law tied to the Debt limit talks.

What's the implication here?

Implication is that he went against not just his party, but also directly went against the leaders of the party who were in person for the negotiations. This further weakens his ability to negotiate within his own party.

theWB27

Implication is that he went against not just his party, but also directly went against the leaders of the party who were in person for the negotiations. This further weakens his ability to negotiate within his own party.

I get that....I mean what does the win mean and why is it a loss for the republicans. Not just optics.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Why were Rs opposed? Kicking the can down the road is their bread and butter.

I think they were planning something different, with the debt limit increase going out a lot farther:

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/349329-gop-leaders-to-give-trump-bitter-pill-on-spending-debt

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) are expected to move legislation that will keep the government funded until December and raise the nation's debt limit high enough to last beyond the 2018 midterm elections without funding for the U.S.-Mexico border wall or significant spending reforms favored by conservatives.

Soros obviously

I get that....I mean what does the win mean and why is it a loss for the republicans. Not just optics.

They lose their immediate bargaining chip. Now instead of saying "We're going to close the government if you don't give us (BLANK)" it's back to square one with a lot more time for discussing and arguing instead of getting what they want now.

If it keeps getting pushed back, it could have MAJOR consequences since mid-term elections are next year.

Top Bottom