• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump campaign emails show aide’s repeated efforts to set up Russia meetings

oti

Banned
This guy's linkedin profile is great. Just great.

President Trump recommendation about me: "George is an oil and gas consultant; excellent guy."

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, Ben Carson, recommendation about me: "A distinguished individual."

Along with the U.S. State Department nominating me as a top five finalist to represent the United States at the 2011 emerging leaders UNESCO forum in Paris, France, I have been invited to participate in policy and oil and gas conferences in the U.S., Europe and Middle East. In Washington D.C, I have spoken at the Washington Times forum on the geopolitics of the energy trade from the eastern Mediterranean.

During the trips and conferences, I was able to utilize my analytic skills by exchanging ideas with prominent leaders of the Middle East and Europe on how to improve strategic relations with the United States.

Furthermore, I obtained policy information from primary sources on the ground regarding the social, economic, and political dynamics of the Middle East and Eastern Mediterranean and how they affect U.S. policy in the regions.

Academically, after completing my MSc from University College London with honors, I was accepted to the London School of Economics for a second MSc in International Political Economy (9% acceptance rate). I ultimately decided to work in the policy arena in Washington D.C. after my studies in London. From March 2011 to September 2015, I worked as a Research Associate at the world renowned think tank, Hudson Institute.

My commercial work has been published in prominent think tanks in Washington D.C., the Cypriot as well as the Israeli press. Current member of the International Presidential Business Advisory Council (Cyprus).

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gpapadopoulos7/de

SeeThree

I was thinking wtf George Papadapolis from Webster TV Series (1983–1989)?

LOL I forgot the storyline to Webster:

The post-retirement season is suddenly disrupted for football player George Papadapolis and his wife Katherine when Webster, the orphaned son of a former teammate, moves in. Laughter -- and life lessons -- in every episode.

Afrodium

Banned
It's interesting that these emails seem to be from a low level staffer and his requests to set up meetings were routinely rejected. Papadopoulos seems to have been some type of Russian plant or at least was compromised in some fashion. Assuming collusions eventually did happen, I wonder if Papadopoulos' requests were eventually granted or if they were routinely rejected because he was being really dumb and transparent about setting them up. It's also possible that they were only rejected on paper but verbally accepted (though given how they handled the Trump Jr. meeting request this seems unlikely).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
giphy.gif

m_dorian

lol.
The exact name George Papadopoulos was the name of the coloner that lead the CIA orchestrated military Junta that plagued Greece from 1967-1973.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That means Trump was not actively communicating/colluding with Russians around the time of the RNC. This is a major blow to the collusion narrative.

Sure Gutek. Thanks for your insight. Everyone takes your thoughts very seriously.

This clown was called out by WaPo before.

Papadopoulos, a 2009 graduate of DePaul University, directs an international energy center at the London Center of International Law Practice.

He previously advised the presidential campaign of Ben Carson and worked as a research fellow at the Hudson Institute, a conservative think tank in Washington. According to his LinkedIn profile, he has had meetings with the president of Cyprus and the prime minister of the United Arab Emirates. He obtained a masters’s degree from the University of London in 2010.

Interesting that he has ties to both Cyprus (the jump-off point for most of the Russian money laundering going into western investments) and the United Arab Emirates who brokered the backchannel Sychelles meeting between Trump's team and an associate of Putin.

I'm sure he'll be retroactively registering as a foreign agent soon if he hasn't already.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Unfortunately this article seems like a big nothing. A junior consultant emailed a bunch without setting up a meeting. This info came from the white house council according to the article so obviously they think it makes them look good.

I almost missed this little nugget in the OP:

And also in July, a few weeks after Papadopoulos asked his superiors whether other campaign advisers or aides could accept some of the Russians' invitations, Carter Page, another foreign policy adviser, spoke at a Russian university in Moscow. Page said he made the trip independently of the campaign.

Sounds like a good cover to do some deliberations with less chance of reporters/counter-espionage agencies noticing. Page is going to be squeezed like a lemon.

It's interesting that these emails seem to be from a low level staffer and his requests to set up meetings were routinely rejected. Papadopoulos seems to have been some type of Russian plant or at least was compromised in some fashion. Assuming collusions eventually did happen, I wonder if Papadopoulos' requests were eventually granted or if they were routinely rejected because he was being really dumb and transparent about setting them up. It's also possible that they were only rejected on paper but verbally accepted (though given how they handled the Trump Jr. meeting request this seems unlikely).

It's tempting to think all this stuff is part is one great masterplan run out of the Kremlin but we know from the DNC hack forensics that different Russian departments sometimes work towards the same general objectives without coordinating. There is a real possibility that some smaller cut-outs, like say this guy Papadopulos, had no idea that someone else might be running a principal like Manafort as an agent of influence.

Chumly

Even Paul manafort knew not to openly set up a meeting with Putin. It's absolutely insane this was even requested over email. Obviously just raises flags what was taken "offline"

weekev

Banned
This is the only leak I care about coming out about Russia. Make it happen Putin. Get rid of your lame duck puppet.

snl15n-1-web.jpg

Unfortunately this article seems like a big nothing. A junior consultant emailed a bunch without setting up a meeting. This info came from the white house council according to the article so obviously they think it makes them look good.
A nothingburger? It is yet another Trump staffer trying to setup meetings with Russians.

DonShula

This clown was called out by WaPo before.

Interesting that he has ties to both Cyprus (the jump-off point for most of the Russian money laundering going into western investments) and the United Arab Emirates who brokered the backchannel Sychelles meeting between Trump's team and an associate of Putin.

I'm sure he'll be retroactively registering as a foreign agent soon if he hasn't already.

I thought Betsy DeVos's mercenary brother orchestrated the Seychelles meeting.

It's ludicrous that we're even discussing this.

Nikodemos

Нет марионетки. Ты марионетка.
I love that I can partly read Russian.

Also, should've been first reply.

i can't see trump as a giant schemer or collaborator with Russia because of how incompetent he and his buddies are (every single one of them is such an idiot)

was Russia involved in the election? yes probably, but i'm assuming trump didn't know the gravity of what he was doing if he even did get involved at all, if he was a close collaborator i swear you would have heard him during a press conference talk about how great his plans are and he's got a great plan to win the election

i can't see trump as a giant schemer or collaborator with Russia because of how incompetent he and his buddies are (every single one of them is such an idiot)

was Russia involved in the election? yes probably, but i'm assuming trump didn't know the gravity of what he was doing if he even did get involved at all, if he was a close collaborator i swear you would have heard him during a press conference talk about how great his plans are and he's got a great plan to win the election

So did you follow the Trump Jr. story, or are we just making uninformed assumptions

fd20aae4-b4fe-43ca-a907-e2846c65dc52-c6fa65c0-db25-4876-b628-977ad4db0292-time-trump-jr-cover.jpg

This is the must read stuff.
Why? There's no evidence cited.

I want there to be something, but the article in the OP is nothing. Low level staffer tries repeatedly to set up meetings with Russia and fails because fucking MANAFORT doesn't think it's a good idea. How is this a story?

So did you follow the Trump Jr. story, or are we just making uninformed assumptions
I followed up until the the part where he wrote "This iPhone speaks many languages." afterwards I just figured their fate was sealed in the court of public opinion and that he's legitimately one of the dumbest people on the planet, racing past even his father.

I just don't think that people this incompetent can mount a giant conspiracy without tripping over their own dicks in a way more public manner. As I said, Russia probably is involved but Trump isn't Machiavelli, he's an old man who was a giant fucking idiot showing signs of dementia.

Top Bottom