• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump campaign is holding a $ contest; winner has to meet POTUS, free trip to DC etc

Jombie

He's made his living by swindling people out of money, so this is no surprise. He's a living malware ad -- "you've won big, click here to claim your prize!"

riotous

Banned
Does anyone actually trust him to make good?

Some department of justice somewhere should monitor this (maybe New York since I think that's where his campaign is based); there are some pretty strict laws when it comes to contests that offer prizes.

sirap

The fact that something like this even exists is insane.

Your president is no better than a two-bit internet marketer peddling bullshit WSO's on Warrior Forum. He doesn't even have a good landing page.

Ogodei

A billionaire and President of the United States doing a gofundme for his legal expenses.

His followers deserve to get conned at this point.

Where are people getting that this is for legal expenses?

Not sure, that was the Facebook thing

This is so clearly just going to a good charity
for Trump's legal expenses

If he does, hide in the curtains.

mgs4-octocamo.gif

Some department of justice somewhere should monitor this (maybe New York since I think that's where his campaign is based); there are some pretty strict laws when it comes to contests that offer prizes.
Yup, I wonder if Trump knows his chosen winner must be eighteen.

thefro

The dinner thing was done by Obama and it was such a huge success that his campaign did it a few more times. No surprise Trump (or any future president) is doing the same thing.

Yeah, Obama did this a bunch, as did Hillary. Think I remember them doing it for the DNC too.

I think you can get a free entry like any other contest by giving your info.

The big difference is Obama/Clinton didn't do it 8 months after a Presidential election.

Here's how Plouffe framed it in 2007:

Email from June 2007 said:
Dear thefro,

Dinner with Barack? Most political fundraisers are hosted by lobbyists and filled with representatives of special interests.

But our campaign is different.

Our funding comes from a movement of Americans giving whatever they can afford, even $5, and Barack wants to sit down with supporters like you.

If you've ever thought about making a donation to join our campaign, now is the time. In the next week, four supporters will be selected for a new kind of fundraising dinner. We're reserving two of those seats for new donors like you.

If you make a donation in any amount between now and 11:59 pm EDT on Wednesday, June 13, you could join Barack and three other supporters for an intimate dinner for five.

https://donate.barackobama.com/dinnerforfive

Our movement is changing the way campaigns are funded. We're not taking any contributions from Washington lobbyists or political action committees.

More than 100,000 individual donors have demonstrated that this choice is about more than an election. It's about each of us having a personal stake in the future of American politics.

The dinner for five is an opportunity for you to sit down with Barack and your fellow supporters and talk about what matters to you.

Get the kind of treatment other politicians reserve for special interests. Make a donation in the next week, and you could share your story and your ideas with Barack in person:

https://donate.barackobama.com/dinnerforfive

With every single donation, we're building a movement to change American politics. And this is just the beginning.

Thanks for your support,
David

David Plouffe
Campaign Manager
Obama for America

bman94

YOU CANNOT RUN AMERICA AS A BUSINESS

God this man is so fucking dense.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
We should crowdfund and send a neogaffer to hit him with the most powerful memes we have.

and he isn't even good at doing that (see the multiple times he's had to file ch11 bk)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
and he isn't even good at doing that (see the multiple times he's had to file ch11 bk)

One of his repeated business techniques is to finish a project and then tell the people who did the work that he will either give them pennies on the dollar or sue them forever.

So often what profit he makes is simple theft.

He tells victims the work was substandard but let's tenants or guests take residence anyway without dealing with the "substandard" work.

Many contractors and banks (including almost all US banks) refuse to work with him.

Early in the run up to inauguration before he started exposing how terrible he was a certain type of gafer would explain how normal all this was and what a clever businessman he was. Ignoring the fact that or new president is literally one of the most litigious and litigated against Americans ever.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

No... but a funny observation I made over the election is that Republican voters are more likely to be small business owners themselves, or work for a small business. Them being okay with America being run as a business probably extends from their own experience despite the fact that business philosophy doesn't scale well to the government.

Point is... very few Republicans seem to be worried about Trump using the office for person gain, or for running the government the way he is. I blame it on poor education.

One would hope that this mess would have the benefit of killing this myth forever, but you know the marks will go back to suckling on the teet of reaganomics soon enough anyways.

Maledict

It always amuses me how republicans constantly complain about democrat presidents being in permanent "campaign mode" when in the White House, yet it's always republicans who continue with this appalling shit.

Laekon

I got the same type of "meet the president emails" from the Obama campaign multiple times in the past. Why don't with stick with real issues?

Using the position of President specifically for personal financial gain, hmm...

How long until they pretend Hillary Clinton somehow did this before and worse?

Does he have to make this no purchase necessary thing to comply with state laws? If so then I will apply and tell him he's the worst president ever (mid photo op alpha handshake) if I win.

You could simply not take good hand. Then again, he may be used to it with how his wife does it.

Top Bottom