• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump endorses guns for teachers "to stop shootings"

mrkgoo

How about a bow and arrows? those are built as killing tools. sure you can take one to a range, but their sole purpose was crated to kill. I can't find a single state that prohibits felons from purchasing a bow and they don't require any background checks at all.

I'd argue that they should a also be regulated and restricted, especially combat style cross bows and things.

But as mentioned, I feel you have to start somewhere and that's place should be at the top where things are of greater concern at the moment.

Shouldn't deflect from that with "what about ....". People like to argue about where the line should be, and yes it's difficult, but difficult shouldn't be used as an excuse to not do anything.

zelo-ca

I like the idea tbh. Have it be voluntary and give them lots of help in doing so. Seems like a good part to a bigger plan.

Amory

This is good. There is more going on here then "muh guns". Leftists won't understand in general as they are either not conscious enough of reality (they eat everything CNN tells them happily) or don't posses the intelligence needed to understand deeper concpets and longer laid out plans.
How is arming teachers a long laid out plan or a deep concept? Its literally the most surface level, least well thought out approach possible.

And it has the side benefit for gun nuts of actually loosening gun laws in response to this problem rather than tightening them.

zelo-ca

How is arming teachers a long laid out plan or a deep concept? Its literally the most surface level, least well thought out approach possible.

And it has the side benefit for gun nuts of actually loosening gun laws in response to this problem rather than tightening them.

It makes people who want to shoot at a school less wary because there could be armed people around for one. What I think he is saying is that this would be a part of the plan along with many other things (per example bump stock ban, raise the legal age, better background checks, better mental health screening) just to name a few.

Big4reel

What if a student steals a gun

I don`t see anything good coming from this, and teachers shouldn`t need gun training to teach

mrkgoo

It makes people who want to shoot at a school less wary because there could be armed people around for one. What I think he is saying is that this would be a part of the plan along with many other things (per example bump stock ban, raise the legal age, better background checks, better mental health screening) just to name a few.
I assume you mean it would make them more wary, but I disagree. I feel it would make little difference to the motivations of these individuals.

mr2xxx

Banned
How about a bow and arrows? those are built as killing tools. sure you can take one to a range, but their sole purpose was crated to kill. I can't find a single state that prohibits felons from purchasing a bow and they don't require any background checks at all.

People are just going to use knives. No one is taking the time to become Hawkeye or Green Arrow to go on some rampage. Look at the UK:
_99744223_2chart-rise_knife_crime-nebjt-nc.png

While Bow and Arrow attacks happen once in a blue moon.

Keeping guns out of the wrong hands is better prevention. Armed guards, security screens, armed teachers, armed bus drivers...why only wait for someone to attack.

Last edited by a moderator:

bitbydeath

Looks like a pretty air-tight plan to me, I mean, I'm sure Trump has really thought of it all.
I can't see how this could ever go wrong.
Ever.
Never-ever.

Catphish

If this is to become reality, it's only a matter of time before a teacher fucks up and wields the gun in an abusive manner, or actually shoots a student. There are a lot of goofy fucking teachers out there. This is a really bad idea.

If there absolutely must be an armed presence in schools, and maybe there should be, then the federal government should pinch a percentage from their near-infinite defense budget and place a cop or marshal or national guardsman in each school. That person keeps a sidearm at all times, and has exclusive access to a small gun closet, should something larger be warranted.

Guns do not belong in the hands of teachers.

Last edited:

lachesis

Well, I said this before but why not registering all the guns and also every one of them needs to have some sort of GPS that can be triggered to alert the police if it enters near schools or place that are registered to be gun free, like movie theater and all?

I'm sure that people will mod it for whatever ill reason - but if that's really the case - those modded guns disabling GPS should get confiscated with heavy fine and possible prison time...

Last edited:

bitbydeath

If this is to become reality, it's only a matter of time before a teacher fucks up and wields the gun in an abusive manner, or actually shoots a student. There are a lot of goofy fucking teachers out there. This is a really bad idea.

If there absolutely must be an armed presence in schools, and maybe there should be, then the federal government should pinch a percentage from their near-infinite defense budget and place a cop or marshal or national guardsman in each school. That person keeps a sidearm at all times, and has exclusive access to a small gun closet, should something larger be warranted.

Guns do not belong in the hands of teachers.

No lethal weapons should be on school grounds, equip them with tasers if anything.
Keeping any on school grounds gives children even easier access to them.

Catphish

No lethal weapons should be on school grounds, equip them with tasers if anything.
Keeping any on school grounds gives children even easier access to them.
The weapons would be kept in a locked gun closet that only the guard would have access to. Electronic lock with code, for example.

As long as there's a threat of lethal weapons being brought into a school, then there's nothing wrong with there being something lethal in the school to defend the students.

The point is to have it in the hands of a trained professional defensive agent. Not a teacher.

Papa

Banned
The first step is stricter background checks to filter out those with a criminal record or mental illness. Trump suggests this, so he’s on the right track. Arming teachers, however, is an accident waiting to happen. With the amount of shit teachers have to deal with from students, it’s only a matter of time before a teacher shoots a student (on purpose). A more pragmatic solution, in my view, is to hire veterans to act as security for schools. Kill two birds with one stone.

Kneejerk reactions to emotional arguments made before the dust has had time to settle are not the solution. Gun control has worked very well in Australia but we do not have a constitution that guarantees the right to bear arms, so it’s not an apt comparison. Any solution must be fit for purpose and I cannot see anything more than stricter background checks for criminals and the mentally ill being implemented without civil war.

Snoopycat

Banned
At first I thought this seems like madness, but nah, it's worse than that, it's total cowardice. This is all about the politicians not wanting to take on the NRA, so they come up with this kind of foolishness. It's amazing that an organisation like the NRA has so much power that even the White House is afraid of upsetting them

bitbydeath

The weapons would be kept in a locked gun closet that only the guard would have access to. Electronic lock with code, for example.

As long as there's a threat of lethal weapons being brought into a school, then there's nothing wrong with there being something lethal in the school to defend the students.

The point is to have it in the hands of a trained professional defensive agent. Not a teacher.

If an adult with a code can get in then it isn’t much effort for a student to obtain the information to get in themselves.

Wunray

Ya this is a bad idea like seriously bad. I still advocate for armed and TRAINED security guards on the school grounds, and by that I mean on the outer perimeter so the kids don't feel some type of way.

bitbydeath

What? If the information is only known to one person, how would anyone else get it?

1. Find where they wrote the password.
2. Break the lock.
3. Watch them enter it.
4. Lift prints from button presses.
5. Lookup online how to get around it.

Probably many other ways too.

Catphish

1. Find where they wrote the password.
2. Break the lock.
3. Watch them enter it.
4. Lift prints from button presses.
5. Lookup online how to get around it.

Probably many other ways too.
1. It's not written down. It's in the agent's head.
2. You don't "break the lock" on the kind of gun safe I'm talking about.
3. Do you think this thing is in the main hallway or something? It's in a secure area, and no one is looking at anything.
4. lol. what? A student is gonna waltz into a secure area and lift prints? The hell?
5. Man. Stop. You're not cracking a friggin high-quality gun safe by reading about it online.

No. Probably not many other ways at all.

Last edited:

dem

As someone who works in schools..

Seriously... fucking insane. Swat trained elementary school teachers. Good fucking lord.

If you support this you’re a bloody idiot.

Tevious

Does anyone seriously think this is a good idea?

p2GQOGD.png

Teacher's are not security officers. They're not trained for combat situations and certainly not paid for it. Many teachers could probably easily be overpowered by a student, which could potentially give a would be shooter access to a gun. It's beyond stupid.
I don't know how common it is these days or if they still even do it, but when I went to Middle School and High School in the US, there was always one police officer stationed at our school that handled security and fights that broke out, etc. These were actually young police officers and not retired old men. The only thing I could reasonably see schools doing in the "more guns" approach is either hiring additional police officers, or having a small group of capable teachers trained in security that work with their school's police officer. These teachers would need to be paid extra since they essentially have two jobs. But really, the most common sense thing that could be done is to put restrictions on access to guns, be it mental health, criminal record, or even age, and ban certain guns that really have no purpose other than to kill mass amounts of people.

krazen

Of course, Americans have this hard on from playing years of cops and robbers that they ALL feel they will be the one to pull the gun out and get the drop on a guy with his semi-automatic rifle already out , shoot at the perp with one perfectly aimed headshot while avoiding a shootout/stray bullets in a place with paper thin walls with kids around. Then the townspeople will run in, cheer the hero and have a parade in his honor for being the greatest hero of all, the average American.

In reality you expect an underpaid profession to now double as law enforcement officials with the expectation there would be no bad apples in the profession that would behave off just irrational emotion (like when they fuck their students). Or that school shooters won’t just pop in, murder the teacher first who has the gun before they can react because duh, thats the only threat since now we all know they got guns, and summarily execute the kids in the classroom before the other teachers can “posse up”, lol. Morons.

Last edited:

Moneal

As someone who works in schools..

Seriously... fucking insane. Swat trained elementary school teachers. Good fucking lord.

If you support this you’re a bloody idiot.

I worked at a school a few years back and heard quite a few teachers there mention that they could do this. It was after a training course on active shooter events. I live in rural Tennessee where most of the teachers have had experience with guns and and were/had been hunters.

We were told by the trainers after the course was over that while they were required to tell people to hide and run if possible, but their real advice would be to fight back. The info they had amounted to fighting back resulted in less dead. They also said that these type of attackers are almost always surprised by people fighting back.

bitbydeath

3. Do you think this thing is in the main hallway or something? It's in a secure area, and no one is looking at anything.
4. lol. what? A student is gonna waltz into a secure area and lift prints? The hell?
5. Man. Stop. You're not cracking a friggin high-quality gun safe by reading about it online.

1. It’s always written down somewhere.
2. Could the lock survive liquid nitrogen?
3. Placing a camera in the room would get around that.
4. What kid would shoot-up a school?
5. You’d be surprised.

BraveOne

Teachers do not need to carry guns, they are educators not gunslingers. Really understand what you are asking for if you want teachers to carry a gun, You are asking allot of underpaid teachers to start risking their own lives and get into fire fights. What a world we live in if this is the only answer to your problem. We all know what he answer is, Australia banned guns after their last school shooting... theres not been a single one since then. A man walked into an elementary school and murdered little kids and the Government did nothing... Zero. But now the solution is have teachers carry guns when teaching 5 year old ?? What a stupid and assbackwards solution

JordanN

Banned
I would oppose government making it official policy to arm teachers or supply them with arms. However, I see nothing wrong if a teacher (as a private citizen) kept their own arms locked up in their car.

God Enel

In my opinion this is so wrong. Schools are places of education and knowledge where young people should be taught, besides typical school stuff, certain things like values and respect for each other and an armed teacher is IMHO like the total opposite of it. That's what is bugging me the most about this plan.

Plus For me personally it would be so intimidating to have a armed guy speaking in front of me about Philosophy or linguistics or algebra. What the fuck?

And will do this really do more good than bad? Will teachers really be able to track the "bad guy" and silence him, instead of just missing him and shooting some students as well in a chaotic situation? It seems so far from reality. I don't know.

Sometimes I feel like America is just parody. And I don't mean it as an insult. It's just so weird to read certain ideas. But maybe your mentality is just totally different than my German one. :/

Moneal

In my opinion this is so wrong. Schools are places of education and knowledge where young people should be taught, besides typical school stuff, certain things like values and respect for each other and an armed teacher is IMHO like the total opposite of it. That's what is bugging me the most about this plan.

Plus For me personally it would be so intimidating to have a armed guy speaking in front of me about Philosophy or linguistics or algebra. What the fuck?

And will do this really do more good than bad? Will teachers really be able to track the "bad guy" and silence him, instead of just missing him and shooting some students as well in a chaotic situation? It seems so far from reality. I don't know.

Sometimes I feel like America is just parody. And I don't mean it as an insult. It's just so weird to read certain ideas. But maybe your mentality is just totally different than my German one. :/

If its concealed carry would you even know that the guy is armed?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Teachers do not need to carry guns, they are educators not gunslingers. Really understand what you are asking for if you want teachers to carry a gun, You are asking allot of underpaid teachers to start risking their own lives and get into fire fights. What a world we live in if this is the only answer to your problem. We all know what he answer is, Australia banned guns after their last school shooting... theres not been a single one since then. A man walked into an elementary school and murdered little kids and the Government did nothing... Zero. But now the solution is have teachers carry guns when teaching 5 year old ?? What a stupid and assbackwards solution

This is the kind of misinformation that helps no one...

1) The port arthur massacre wasn't a school shooting.
2) It didn't stop anything, hunt family and monash university shootings, chocolate cafe shootings and if anything, just gave rise to arson attacks, knife and vehicle based mass murders.

Last edited:

Moneal

This is the kind of misinformation that helps no one...

1) The port arthur massacre wasn't a school shooting.
2) It didn't stop anything, hunt family and monash university shootings, chocolate cafe shootings and if anything, just gave rise to arson attacks, knife and vehicle based mass murders.

Also guns aren't banned there. They just have strict gun control laws. people can still buy guns there legally, like the Monash University Shooter did.

mrkgoo

If its concealed carry would you even know that the guy is armed?

These kind of hypothetical back and forth "what if" this and "what about that" are kind of silly. There's ALWAYS some asinine counter-argument to any point anyone brings up, as if it would actually solve anything overall - there is no perfect way to carry out anything like this, and it opens too many doors for bad things to happen.

mrkgoo

Part of it might be a sort of "mindshare" thing where in countries that guns aren't so prevalent, it doesn't even cross the mind to consider it an option for most people, even if they are available.

WaterAstro

I worked at a school a few years back and heard quite a few teachers there mention that they could do this. It was after a training course on active shooter events. I live in rural Tennessee where most of the teachers have had experience with guns and and were/had been hunters.

We were told by the trainers after the course was over that while they were required to tell people to hide and run if possible, but their real advice would be to fight back. The info they had amounted to fighting back resulted in less dead. They also said that these type of attackers are almost always surprised by people fighting back.
That's ineffective against mass shooters who are suicidal. They're not going to be surprised or hesitate. They're taking down as many people as they can with them.

Dunki

It is incredible to see people argue that more guns means less shootings. People who do this expect to be killed afterwards. If even it could lead for shooters to use even automatic rifles etc. allowing guns in public places is insane to me

WaterAstro

It is incredible to see people argue that more guns means less shootings. People who do this expect to be killed afterwards. If even it could lead for shooters to use even automatic rifles etc. allowing guns in public places is insane to me
Well, people here arguing for it, I just take them as trolls and don't take them seriously.
Has there been a mass shooting in Australia since the assault weapon ban ?
Nope. No mass shootings since the 1996 incident.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Well, people here arguing for it, I just take them as trolls and don't take them seriously.

Nope. No mass shootings since the 1996 incident.

Apart from, you know, the hunt familiy, monash university and lindt chocolate cafe shootings*edit better not forget the bikies killing each other too*. And before port arthur, there wasn't constant high casualty mass shootings.

But since it's on this topic, "banning guns" in Australia only reduced gun deaths per year by about 1/4... And homicides in general? Wasn't effected at all.

Woow look at all these drops in shootings after that 1996 shooting, wonder what happened there ? total mystery. Not like some sort of ban was enforced aye

Again with the ban claim...

And prior to port arthur, average mass killings was 6 per year. After port arthur it's 3.7.

Wow what a HUGE change! Never mind that homicides weren't effected by the buy back scheme and only continued their steady downward trend *shrug*

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Apart from, you know, the hunt familiy, monash university and lindt chocolate cafe shootings. And before port arthur, there wasn't constant high casualty mass shootings.

But since it's on this topic, "banning guns" in Australia only reduced gun deaths per year by about 1/4... And homicides in general? Wasn't effected at all.
Yeah, I saw your post. Those aren't mass shootings. 2 people died in Monash university, and it was targeted using a handgun.
The cafe shooting was standoff where 1 hostage was killed and another hostage was caught from police fire ricochet. That incident is also considered an act of terrorism.

Top Bottom