• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump gives 'assurances' he will scrap laws protecting gay people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarky

Banned
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...s-freedom-assurances-lgbt-fears-a7458906.html

Donald Trump has reportedly given “assurances” that he will take action to undermine laws that are seen as protecting the rights of gay people in the US.

LGBT advocacy groups have been fielding calls from many people “scared” by what a Trump presidency will mean for them, according to the CEO of one such group.

And a Republican Congressman, Steve Russell, says he has been led to understand the new administration will back his drive to allow federal contractors “religious freedom”.

Mr Russell told BuzzFeed News he was disappointed the House blocked his religious freedom amendment, dubbed the Russell Amendment, from a defence spending bill last Friday.

But he said he had “gotten very positive signals” that Trump will step in where his amendment failed.

Critics say allowing federal contractors religious freedom means they can discriminate against LGBT people on the basis of at-times arbitrary religious beliefs, and still receive public money.

“These issues will be resolved, and we have gotten some very good assurances moving forward,” Mr Russell said, referring to apparent contact with the Trump transition team. “I am certainly encouraged by the signs that I am getting from the administration that is inbound.”

Fox318

ItvP56y.jpg

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
If this isn't proof that he says one thing only to turn around and say the complete opposite, this is it

It was pretty clear when he said gay marriage was law of the land. Religious freedom is the next hill the GOP wants to die on.

soco

Let's hope it's as reliable as his other 'assurances'.

Even if not, they'll likely only be a shitty annoyance until they're struck down. (Not to downlplay the real effects they'll have on some groups in some areas, which could very much be severe depending on the wording and law).

kadotsu

Banned
I haven't heard how both parties are the same in a while. Where are all the political savants from the left shouting that shit from the rooftops for the last years now?

Speevy

Banned
He'll make sure Muslim terrorists don't blow them up, though.

That's like when Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream that he could one day live in a world when a man wouldn't be judged by the color of his skin by an illegal immigrant.

Ogodei

It was pretty clear when he said gay marriage was law of the land. Religious freedom is the next hill the GOP wants to die on.

Just like when they "accepted" civil rights and started the modern evangelical movement as a way to enshrine discrimination under the first amendment.

Ithil

This Russell person should probably know that Trump's positions entirely change depending on who he is speaking to at that exact moment and how he can ingratiate himself to them.

Not that this administration won't be terrible for LGBT rights, but if he thinks a Trump "assurance" means anything he's a fool.

LGBT peeps will die because of Trump. He will directly facilitate their deaths. That's the kind of person that's president of the US.

We had our chance on November 8 but failed to stop him.

I'm not even mad at the people who voted for trump

I really am not. They may be shit stains, but they wear that proudly.

I'm mad at the pieces of shit that either refused to vote for hillary because 'muh bernie or muh 2 sides', or didn't vote at all.

And the orange butthole continues to spew shit everywhere

But hey, he's "making america great again" 🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻

wait wasn't his stance that LGBT rights aren't going anywhere?

wasn't he FOR them?

what the hell?

i really feel like we're going back in time dude this SUCKS

Isn't this in regards to forcing pastors/priests to marry gay couples when it violates their core beliefs?

No, its about allowing business owners and managers to fire employees for being gay or to refuse service to gay customers.

Explicitly religious organizations like churches are exempt from virtually all discrimination laws. Its why the "religious freedom" argument is so laughable.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I haven't heard how both parties are the same in a while. Where are all the political savants from the left shouting that shit from the rooftops for the last years now?

They've focused their efforts on calling all media publications shit and that they don't know what they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom