• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump gives 'assurances' he will scrap laws protecting gay people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously though, if any of these fuckers think they can just set LGBT rights back all willy-nilly without any public outcry, especially after all the progress we just made, they're in for a rude awakening. Hamilton was just the beginning.

Seriously though, if any of these fuckers think they can just set LGBT rights back all willy-nilly without any public outcry, especially after all the progress we just made, they're in for a rude awakening. Hamilton was just the beginning.

Save us Broadway! I'm afraid the rude awakening is on us when he makes Supreme Court Justice appointments.

Lemme put it another way. If these fuckers think they can just set back LGBT rights and expect us to shut up about it, they're sorely mistaken.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Reuters-White-House-Gay-Pride.jpg

It was fun while it lasted, folks.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
Even if he doesn't his supreme court will

This is why I'm a such strong proponent of legislative and not judicial action. Of course, the Democrats in their infinite wisdom nuked the filibuster, basically neutering the checks and balances between the three branches.

Trump's assurances mean jack squat. I'll save my indignation and outrage for when he acts on his heinous ideas. I'm confident a lot of them will get passed, so I'll save my energy for when it actually happens. It's going to be a long 4 years, we need to pick and choose our battles. Religious freedom laws should certainly be one of those battles though.

Lois_Lane

This is why I'm a such strong proponent of legislative and not judicial action. Of course, the Democrats in their infinite wisdom nuked the filibuster, basically neutering the checks and balances between the three branches.
What are you talking about? When did we lose the filibuster?

Dude Abides

Banned

You think a procedural rule in one chamber of one branch of government and appears nowhere in the Constitution and was never used to filibuster the appointment of a new Supreme Court justice (1) was the only check and balance between the three branches; (2) has some relevance to Trumps judicial appointment?

Dierce

So when can we start placing the blame for all the political bullshit that happened this year on the instigators, Russia and their dictator Putin.

They are the ones that propped up this anti-establishment sentiment online though lies and support for right wing hate groups and helped them gain political power. We severely underestimate how much social media had an effect on election results throughout the world this year.

Trump's VP pick (among several other cabinet picks who DO have an extensive history against LGBTQ+ rights) is a big red homophobic flag that the administration won't lift a finger to help advance human rights in this country.

I still think the Pence pick was a move to ensure no one tries to assassinate Trump.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
You think a procedural rule in one chamber of one branch of government and appears nowhere in the Constitution and was never used to filibuster the appointment of a new Supreme Court justice (1) was the only check and balance between the three branches; (2) has some relevance to Trumps judicial appointment?

Yes the filibuster was a vital rule in the senate to prevent the party in power from passing and appointing extremely partisan legislation and judges. Is it frustrating? Yes, but it also served to force both parties to work together and it allowed the minority party to have some say in policy (even if a party is in the minority, it still represents a sizable portion of America). An anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage USSC nominee could never be confirmed by a minimum 60-vote majority.

Ekai

Even with a conservative supreme court I don't see them allowing congress to take away equality rights.

Not going to be posting much in political threads at this time but I did want to make note of a few things:
-Equality for LGBT citizens is more than same-sex marriage. (not to mention this ignores trans-existence which already has very little/to no rights at all depending on where you live as it is) Not sure if you were just referring to that but given how many I have seen in the past think that that means the war is won, I wanted to make that a note.

-Conservatives totally see the SC as a tool for political power. To believe otherwise is foolhardy, a bit naiive in my view and ignores how powerful the SC is in changing the fabric of the nation for decades. They love to claim the justices should be unbiased but refusing Obama's nomination, even a hearing, was an entirely political gamble because they wanted a Republican nominated justice who would be far-right wing leaning. Refusing the hearing is, by the by, literally against the Constitution. For a party obsessed with the Constitution they sure love to break it when they so need to. In reality they don't care about the Constitution. Just their bastardized "the nation was founded by Christians, not deists, who made this nation a Christian nation and blah blah blah blah" revisionist view of it.

They won their gamble and now the American people are screwed because of it. Minorities especially will be fucked for decades if literally anyone else leaves while Trump is president. If/When they replace Scalia it will start to tip the favor towards the Republicans but if one of the liberal justices leave/die? The nation is fucked. There's really no other way about it.

-Basic protections for LGBT individuals working federal jobs, among a lot of other protections across numerous states for various situations, have a very big chance of being rolled back under a fully controlled Republican regime. They don't care about us. They despise us. They don't see us as human and want to do whatever they can to eradicate us. The shadow president literally believes in torturing us straight/cis. Republicans don't hide how much they want to get rid of us. We're a sour reminder (as is every other minority be they racial, religious or otherwise) that people besides them exist. That the world isn't stuck in the fricking 1950s.

On top of this, Democrats can barely even filibuster and Republicans want to get rid of it after using it to their advantage for well over 6 years. There's really almost nothing to stop them on the federal level at this point. State's that decide to provide sanctuary for minorities against our now Fascist Regime are going to be pretty much the only option for safety in America. The only other silver lining is if literally no one else on the SC leaves while Trump is president and Democrats manage to turn this all around, get the presidency and get the majority in Congress. This in part requires Democrats to turn out during midterms. And we can hardly ever rely on those centrists-pricks to do so so, yea. Things aren't looking so hot for the future of this nation right now. Be it LGBT rights or otherwise.

Republicans made a mockery of the government and millions of individuals. They don't even have a mandate despite Paul Ryan's bogus claim that they do. And they're being rewarded for it. LGBT citizens, minorities in general, are at the mercy of Republicans now. And they're the most cartoonishly evil they have been in years. And they were already pretty dang evil. So, sorry if I'm not so optimistic right now.

Not

Banned
You know who deserves this all-out shitshow? Everyone. EVERYONE. Who decided not to vote against Trump, and who actually expected him to not play by conservative rules.

I mean, seriously. Soak it in.

Jeffrey

The problem is that that strategy really only works against things at the local or state level, and really only in the case of particularly egregious and noteworthy laws that garner a lot of public attention.

If something is done at the federal level, or if a bunch of states enact bullshit "religious freedom" laws all at once...what are those companies going to do?

a bit harder to change at the federal level now. Also even if many states move at once (thats what happened last time?)... blue cities will gladly host your nba allstar game and take your jobs.

But yeah feel like gay, LGBT rights will be tied to business interests for the near future.

strange times.

Wilsongt

I guess all of the LGBT individuals who voted for Trump, Stein, Johnson, or didn't vote at all in Wisconsin, Michigan, and PA thinking that Trump wouldn't be extremely anti-LGBT...

Oh well. You played yourselves.

It's all good, both parties are the same... right? Sitting at home or voting 3rd party as a protest vote was worth letting this happen...right?

Look at the people surrounding him and than tell me how things are gonna go. He's not surrounding himself with the best people. A lot of the people he is surrounding himself with are of cartoon villain level. I mean the guy actually has a white nationalist in his administration and the vice president literally hates gay people so how do you think things are gonna go?

This. Hell, I don't know if even cartoons or comics went this far so consistently since every single one of his picks is on this level of disgusting or garbage.

What a nightmare.

So when can we start placing the blame for all the political bullshit that happened this year on the instigators, Russia and their dictator Putin.

They are the ones that propped up this anti-establishment sentiment online though lies and support for right wing hate groups and helped them gain political power. We severely underestimate how much social media had an effect on election results throughout the world this year.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dana-rohrabacher-human-rights-abuses-192709171.html

It's mind blowing that there are pro-Russia politicians in the USA like this.

I lost it at Comparing Putin to Gorbachev

Dude Abides

Banned
Yes the filibuster was a vital rule in the senate to prevent the party in power from passing and appointing extremely partisan legislation and judges. Is it frustrating? Yes, but it also served to force both parties to work together and it allowed the minority party to have some say in policy (even if a party is in the minority, it still represents a sizable portion of America). An anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage USSC nominee could never be confirmed by a minimum 60-vote majority.

That's an answer to a question, but not to the one I asked. It ignores that the filibuster is not part of the system of checks and balances, which refers to veto points between the three branches, not within one house of one branch. It also ignores that the filibuster has never been used to block the appointment of a new justice, and that Sam Alito got confirmed.

Good job finding some way to blame the Democrats for shit Trump will do, though. It's certainly creative.

Not to put a downer on everyone's Trump party, but this article has absolutely no information in it whatsoever. Just an apparent vague signal some guy got from some other guy supposedly in the Trump transition team.

This Steve Russell, however, sounds like a real piece of fucking shit, so there's that at least.
I just wanted to pop in and quote you... yeah this entire article is bs fake news. People see that, right? Trump never said any of this. Read the article. I've already seen another poster reference this in a talking point in another thread. But it's fake news...journalism is dead.

Ekai

I just wanted to pop in and quote you... yeah this entire article is bs fake news. People see that, right? Drumpf never said any of this. Read the article. I've already seen another poster reference this in a talking point in another thread. But it's fake news...journalism is dead.

Given the sheer amount of anti-LGBT individuals Trump has surrounded himself with, I sincerely can't take your attempt to wave this off seriously. Not to mention how Trump himself used LGBT-deaths for his own political agenda during the RNC, while having the most anti-LGBT platform the RNC has ever had, and etc. etc. etc.

Given the sheer amount of anti-LGBT individuals Trump has surrounded himself with, I sincerely can't take your attempt to wave this off seriously.
The article is total bs fear-mongering.

I've already commented on the Trump-Pence relationship so I'm not gonna repeat it but Pence's crazy views about LGBTQ will be irrelevant. I made long posts about that. All in all...Trump is the most... here I'll quote this bunk article:

Mr Trump was himself nonetheless “perhaps the most pro-LGBT presidential nominee in the history of the Republican Party”, according to the Log Cabin Republicans.

Ekai

The article is total bs fear-mongering.

I've already commented on the Drumpf-Pence relationship so I'm not gonna repeat it but Pence's crazy views about LGBTQ will be irrelevant. I made long posts about that.

I've made posts in response to you asking you to hold the sheer amount of anti-LGBT bs within the Republicans accountable. I have never seen it and this idea that Pence is irrelevant when it's so damn clear he's going to be one of the most powerful VP's ever is disturbing to me. That argument reads as nothing more than a rationalization to justify a vote for Trump.

Also pointing to my edits in the previous post as well.

EDIT: Also, I'm not just referring to Pence here. Who is already one of the most anti-LGBT politicians in existence.

Surfinn

Perfect way to sum that up.

This is the analogy I'm going to use in the future when responding to bigoted cunts.

Thank you for this.

Glad to be of help. It's actually WORSE than that analogy though because it's not even something that impacts a person in any real way. Like, if a gay couple goes out and gets married, it literally makes no difference in your life because you don't even have to see it or be a part of it (whereas a shop owner may have the "displeasure" of having to serve someone he doesn't want to, or someone may have seen (gasp) another person using a facility they didn't think they should be able to use), unless you consider the people who issue marriage certificates being directly involved I guess, but that's a pretty unusual impact.

That's the type of mental gymnastics I'm talking about though. "I heard gay people can marry.. boy does that take away my religious freedom!"

Like.. name ONE WAY this impacts your religious freedom. Just one. You're free to go condemn gays to burn in hell when the die or believe they're eternal sinners, but the moment your "religious freedom" impedes on someone else's life, we've got a big (league?) problem.

There's simply no argument for it. Again, it boils down to "I don't like it".

Too bad.

I've made posts in response to you asking you to hold the sheer amount of anti-LGBT bs within the Republicans accountable. I have never seen it and this idea that Pence is irrelevant when it's so damn clear he's going to be one of the most powerful VP's ever is disturbing to me. That argument reads as nothing more than a rationalization to justify a vote for Trump.

Also pointing to my edits in the previous post as well.
Quoting my post on Trump-Pence from last month as i'm short on time

That was Kasich and it was a while ago... SO much has changed since then.

Btw another random point I wanted to make but was obviously unable to due to the ban was about the wide-spread fear of Mike Pence from minority and LGBTQ groups. I bet you anything that Pence wasn't Trump's choice as VP. He was picked b/c the only way a GOP nom is gonna win is if he appeals to all the statistically significant groups in the electorate...and that includes bible-thumpers or hardcore Christians (whatever you want to call them). Also Pence was in the military so that base was covered. There was even a story about this

If you look at the interactions between the two you can tell trump doesn';t like him. Want direct proof? Watch the end of Trump's acceptance speech on Nov 8... he mentions and thanks EVERYONE from Rudy to Reince to his family...everyone! And then when the speech ends he turns around and realizes he forgot Pence and says oh and thanks to Mike Pence too.

I fully believe Pence isn't gonna have the sway that you guys think. 1) Trump doesn't like him and 2) Kushner and other reasonable intelligent advisors will be in his ear. I cringe every time i read that 'Trump's VP is a guy who wants to torture gay people line'. Trump doesnt care who anyone bangs and never has.
That's how i feel about that.

And also consider Ivanka and Melania... Ivanka is probably secretly liberal (maybe openly?) and reasonable. No way she would be cool with taking away your rights and she is confirmed to be someone Trump takes important advice from like Kushner.

Lemme put it another way. If these fuckers think they can just set back LGBT rights and expect us to shut up about it, they're sorely mistaken.

You're in for a rude awakening.

Ekai

Quoting my post on Drumpf-Pence from last month as i'm short on time

That's how i feel about that.

And also consider Ivanka and Melania... Ivanka is probably secretly liberal (maybe openly?) and reasonable. No way she would be cool with taking away your rights and she is confirmed to be someone Drumpf takes important advice from like Kushner.

Can you please stop pretending that you care about LGBT rights? You voted for the man who used our deaths for his own political ends against Muslims. The man who scape-goated millions of minorities. You voted for the party that seriously considered legalizing our torture. And has a VP who pushes very hard for it. Among a lot of other cabinet members who are openly hardcore anti-LGBT. Stop trying to erase the very real concerns at hand that individuals have about their future under our now fascist regime. The sheer amount of privilege it takes to do so is disgusting and disturbing.

And also consider Ivanka and Melania... Ivanka is probably secretly liberal (maybe openly?) and reasonable. No way she would be cool with taking away your rights and she is confirmed to be someone Trump takes important advice from like Kushner.

Ivanka and Melania hold no official position and have no power. Meanwhile Trump has appointed some very scary people, if he was really against discrimination etc, he'd have picked more sane moderate people.

Just like he met with Gore and Leo diCaprio over climate change but appointed a climate change denier as head of the EPA.

Actions speaks louder than words.

Gay rights are a huge hot button issue for liberals. It's basically the left's abortion, in that it's an issue that can seriously rule up the base

Republicans dont give a shit about liberal wants, issues, ideas or well being. The thing that made a Trump presidency scary is that the party is equalky as batshit insane as he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom