• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump gives 'assurances' he will scrap laws protecting gay people

Status
Not open for further replies.
ItvP56y.jpg
I wish someone punched him in his stupid fucking face right then. It's been clear as day to me for a while but the fact that he continually exploits the LGBT community under the guise of wanting help them... What a supreme cunt. Unity my ass, suck my dick Donny.

I know a gay man who's fine with losing his rights to gay marry because he was never going to use it anyways.

I'd imagine it's mostly gay men who supported Trump over anyone else in the spectrum because they at least have the privilege of being male to fall back on.

Even with a conservative supreme court I don't see them allowing congress to take away equality rights.
It's not theoretically taking it away. It's similar to removing the voter laws, they're not specifically putting in a law to hurt gays but they're allowing people to choose which will negatively affect gays just like the voter laws.
Same with roe v wade, he never said he'd ban abortions but that "states decide" and so red states will ban it.

Solsc

I know a gay man who's fine with losing his rights to gay marry because he was never going to use it anyways.

I'd imagine it's mostly gay men who supported Trump over anyone else in the spectrum because they at least have the privilege of being male to fall back on.

I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as "gay marry"

It's just marriage... And even if your friend was okay with it, does that mean all of his friends, which I assume some are gay, are okay with it. It just makes no sense unless he just cares about himself

Breads

Banned
He tells everyone what they want to hear.

We still don't know shit about him or how he will try to run things.

The only thing we do know is that he doesn't know what he is doing and that people who voted for him are idiots.

But it doesn't even matter who the president is, man. The amount of times I have heard and seen people say that in person/on facebook/out of Bill Burr's freckled face is ridiculous. It doesn't matter because you're a straight white guy. Fucking scary times. If ever wee needed that fucking 22nd amendment gone it was now.

woolley

It's not theoretically taking it away. It's similar to removing the voter laws, they're not specifically putting in a law to hurt gays but they're allowing people to choose which will negatively affect gays just like the voter laws.
Same with roe v wade, he never said he'd ban abortions but that "states decide" and so red states will ban it.

But at the end of the day this will end up in the courts and I don't see it holding up against the constitution.

Kozak

Banned
How fucking sad is it that there are people out there who have dedicated their lives to bringing down others.

What a joke.

royalan

What's maddening is that I know so many Gay people who voted for Trump. Even a few who ARE we married.

And I mean... Was it really THAT long ago? Did we really reach a place where we thought our newly gained equality was untouchable?

Depressing.

What are you trying to say?

Also remember who the VP is

I'm not trying to 'say' anything, really - that post wasn't a strategic statement or anything calculated. It was a reference to a Pulp Fiction scene in which there is a humorous misunderstanding between the characters Jules and Vince about 'taking care' of Mia Wallace, to elude to the fact that the Trump presidency seems to be resulting in one terrible thing after another, and it would be good if that was stopped. But, obviously, actual assassination is not a solution to anything. Bloody hell.

It was, admittedly, too flippant a post for something as nasty as suggesting someone being killed, no matter who they are. So, sorry about that.

But at the end of the day this will end up in the courts and I don't see it holding up against the constitution.

What are you talking about? Federal protections against discrimination re: contractors was an Obama Executive Order, because sexual identity isn't a "Protected Class." This very well can be removed on a whim January 20th if Trump/Pence so choose. Who's going to stop them? SCOTUS? You're assuming that the Roberts Court is going to deem sexual identity a Protected Class without a law enacted by Congress to that effect?

Stop making silly statements about things you don't understand.

Sinfamy

What's his endgame here, it doesn't make much sense, there's no money to made off this, other then pleasing his evangelical supporters.

Sigh. We'll see what happens once he is in office but I don't doubt that there is a fairly good chance that this might actually occur.

Trump's presidency really is going to move us back several steps in a multitude of cases.

woolley

What are you talking about? Federal protections against discrimination re: contractors was an Obama Executive Order, because sexual identity isn't a "Protected Class." This very well can be removed on a whim January 20th if Trump/Pence so choose. Who's going to stop them? SCOTUS? You're assuming that the Roberts Court is going to deem sexual identity a Protected Class without a law enacted by Congress to that effect?

Stop making silly statements about things you don't understand.

I believe firing someone based on your religious beliefs could go to court as a first amendment violation and not going to court as discrimination against gays.

What's his endgame here, it doesn't make much sense, there's no money to made off this, other then pleasing his evangelical supporters.
Trump doesn't give a shit about any of this. He doesn't give a shit about people. He doesn't give a shit about 'America'. Trump just wants more money flowing towards him and his, that's the only end game he has.

On issues like this, I'm sure he just defers to those around him, which in his case is homophobes, neo-nazis and every other type of slime.

I believe firing someone based on your religious beliefs could go to court as a first amendment violation and not going to court as discrimination against gays.

You would be wrong. There are no Federal protections for sexual identity. Feel free to construct a fact-pattern, or describe precedence and i'll listen, but in the absence of that, you're just wish-casting.

People don't remember this scene?

https://youtu.be/O9LbKWL7GRA

It's saying we need to "take out Trump" the same way Trump said he wanted "the second amendment people" to "take out Clinton," through vigorous awareness and letter writing.

People need to "take care of" Trump by showing him a gay old time (in that Trump wants recognition from, as he likes to put it "the gays," in order to stroke his ego) like how Vincent treated Mia.

I remember the scene but authorities would be inclined to interpret this in a very literal sense and perceive it as a threat.

What's maddening is that I know so many Gay people who voted for Trump. Even a few who ARE we married.

And I mean... Was it really THAT long ago? Did we really reach a place where we thought our newly gained equality was untouchable?

Depressing.

People voting against their self interests is what puts the Republicans over the top all the time.

We are going to have to see huge and varied demographics stripped of their most basic rights before the electorate will get their head out of their asses.

Breads

Banned
People voting against their self interests is what puts the Republicans over the top all the time.

We are going to have to see huge and varied demographics stripped of their most basic rights before the electorate will get their head out of their asses.

Although I can't speak to knowing gay people voting for Trump I can speak to knowing hispanics who do. And when confronted with the realities to what a Trump vote represents for them they always give me the same canned response.

He wasn't talking about them. He's talking about the bad [insert marginalized group]. They're the good ones.

They don't realize that they are just useful idiots to the GOP. If it ever becomes advantageous to their party to openly and aggressively start attacking and stripping the rights of [insert marginalized group of people still voting for Trump] they absolutely will. They give no fucks about them earnestly because they aren't white cis straight christians.

America. Where you can get married to someone of the same sex, get fired for it legally, and then have your marriage rights stripped just based on who might get into power.

He tells everyone what they want to hear.

We still don't know shit about him or how he will try to run things.

This is wrong we do know what kind of person trump is and how he will most likely run things. Trump is a horrible person and will most likely continue to be a horrible person in the future his past actions prove this a million times over. As for how he will run the country well just look at how he ran his businesses and you will get your answer as to how he will run the country. He is a horrible leader his four Chapter 11 bankruptcies in the last 25 years all say so.

Not to put a downer on everyone's Trump party, but this article has absolutely no information in it whatsoever. Just an apparent vague signal some guy got from some other guy supposedly in the Trump transition team.

This Steve Russell, however, sounds like a real piece of fucking shit, so there's that at least.

What does Peter Thiel have to say?

Thiel is just really happy that American democracy is probably forever injured as a result of this election. He has enough money to buy himself an island, so he doesn't give a fuck outside of destabilizing democracy in the United States.

Not to put a downer on everyone's Trump party, but this article has absolutely no information in it whatsoever. Just an apparent vague signal some guy got from some other guy supposedly in the Trump transition team.

This Steve Russell, however, sounds like a real piece of fucking shit, so there's that at least.

That never stopped GAF before!

He himself hasn't give any indication of that.

This.

Breads

Banned
This is wrong we do know what kind of person trump is and how he will most likely run things. Trump is a horrible person and will most likely continue to be a horrible person in the future his past actions prove this a million times over. As for how he will run the country well just look at how he ran his businesses and you will get your answer as to how he will run the country. He is a horrible leader his four Chapter 11 bankruptcies in the last 25 years all say so.

So what you're saying is that you don't know.

I do not accept this childish cartoon villain assessment of him. He is not a principled person who's stance you can predict and if such a time came to be where he saw a more progressive ideal as advantageous to him he would pursue it. That's what I mean when I say we don't know anything about him. He doesn't even go wherever the wind blows. He goes wherever his ego tells him the wind is blowing as he surrounds himself with people reassuring him that he isn't wrong.

Funny how people are blaming Trump.

The republicans are in power. These sorts of things are their official party platform. Soon every law will be made with reference to religious considerations.

Trump or no Trump, this is what the American people voted for and this is what they will get.

It is incredibly sad.

Indifference + Being Surrounded by bigots= Rights in jeopardy. This should have been obvious but apparently a lot of people were placated by him saying "LGBT...Q" once or twice and didn't think about anything else.

Depressing.

This is exactly what I was afraid was going to happen when SCOTUS allowed gay marriage. People who didn't know any better when it came to civil rights battles thought the LGBT+ community had its happy ending and became complacent.

The republicans are in power. These sorts of things are their official party platform. Soon every law will be made with reference to religious considerations.

Trump or no Trump, this is what the American people voted for and this is what they will get.

It is incredibly sad.

Trump has the power to veto any questionable laws that try to pass through congress and he should've said something about the RNC adopting its most anti-LGBT policy plan in history. He absolutely deserves part of the blame for trying to pass himself as pro-gay but then doing absolutely nothing to support that.

So what you're saying is that you don't know.

I do not accept this childish cartoon villain assessment of him. He is not a principled person who's stance you can predict and if such a time came to be where he saw a more progressive ideal as advantageous to him he would pursue it. That's what I mean when I say we don't know anything about him. He doesn't even go wherever the wind blows. He goes wherever his ego tells him the wind is blowing as he surrounds himself with people reassuring him that he isn't wrong.

Look at the people surrounding him and than tell me how things are gonna go. He's not surrounding himself with the best people. A lot of the people he is surrounding himself with are of cartoon villain level. I mean the guy actually has a white nationalist in his administration and the vice president literally hates gay people so how do you think things are gonna go?

Has Trump said or done anything homophobic during the campaign or after his victory? Only thing I can remember is him saying the gay marriage issue had been settled by the supreme court and that was that.

Fuck knows what the truth behind this story is. Reportedly given assurances. Right.

I guess if you ignore the fact that all of his considered cabinet members are anti-LGBT.

Lo-Volt

But during his recent interview with 60 minutes he said its the law of the land and its time to move on, but yeah, he is a liar, so you can't take anything he says honestly.

Even if you don't know about the president-elect, just look at the company he keeps. The rollback of LGBT rights was specified in the Republican platform at the convention.

GOP said:
Our laws and our government’s regulations should recognize marriage as the union of one man and one woman and actively promote married family life as the basis of a stable and prosperous society. For that reason, as explained elsewhere in this platform, we do not accept the Supreme Court’s redefinition of marriage and we urge its reversal, whether through judicial reconsideration or a constitutional amendment returning control over marriage to the states. We oppose government discrimination against businesses or entities which decline to sell items or services to individuals for activities that go against their religious views about such activities.

Mike Pence, the guy behind the throne, has a clear record on queer hate. Republicans hated Obama's regulatory and executive changes helping gay employees. I think they said it enough as a group that we can believe them.

Clockwork5

The linked article "reportedly" "seems to be" a bit light on actual content.

I thought fake news was frowned upon in these parts.

Breads

Banned

It is incredibly sad.

Hillary won the popular vote. Democract is what the American people voted for. Trump won by a stupid technicality that has only benefitted the GOP.

Just like when they "accepted" civil rights and started the modern evangelical movement as a way to enshrine discrimination under the first amendment.

This. Evangelical-ism is racism, xenophobia, homophobia, and general bigotedness (a.k.a. White Nationalism) enshrined as a protected "religious entity". It was never anything else. Been that way in an unorganized form since the end of the Civil War and in an organized movement form since the end of the 60s (I.e., civil rights era).

America. Where you can get married to someone of the same sex, get fired for it legally, and then have your marriage rights stripped just based on who might get into power.

The president can't overturn gay marriage, but since the republicans have taken over every branch of government I can bet that they will find a loophole that make gay marriage very difficult in some southern states. Allowing discrimination based on beliefs is one of them and many other tiny laws. They always find a way to express their bigotry and ignorance. I really hope one day that we will be discussing policies regarding the economy, climate change, and other issues and not about policies stripping people of their rights. It's fucking insane how the US made someone like Trump president.

Xyrmellon

So you have Trump tweeting and stating his support, but some random homophobe guy says "he has assurances" Trump will discriminate and we want to burn Trump at the stake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom