• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump gives 'assurances' he will scrap laws protecting gay people

Status
Not open for further replies.

faisal233

So you have Trump tweeting and stating his support, but some random homophobe guy says "he has assurances" Trump will discriminate and we want to burn Trump at the stake.

His entire administration is anti-LGBT but we are supposed to be assured with some tweets? His actions speak louder than his tweets.

Azuran

Banned
Mike Pence must be wacking to these thoughts every night. I'm sure Mikey boy will do everything in his power to make sure gay people in the US don't have a single smile in their faces.

Funny how people are blaming Trump.

The republicans are in power. These sorts of things are their official party platform. Soon every law will be made with reference to religious considerations.

Trump or no Trump, this is what the American people voted for and this is what they will get.

It is incredibly sad.

This is actually the most terrifying thing. We are in a country actively trying to be upheaved by theocrats that ironically subscribe to a form of Christian extremism. I have always believed that Evangelicals, given an unfettered platform of power, are the Christian equivalent of the Taliban.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
So you have Trump tweeting and stating his support, but some random homophobe guy says "he has assurances" Trump will discriminate and we want to burn Trump at the stake.

To whom do you think he will listen, us or his homophobic shitstain of a vice president?

So is this the left's version of Fake News?

I don't doubt that Trump could very well backtrack on his LGBT promises, especially with the team he has surrounded himself with so far.

But... the link sounds more like gossip and it's from an overseas outlet. When some of the major US news outlets start picking it up then maybe we can get legit outraged, but it seems a bit premature just going off the link in the OP.

So is the left's version of Fake News?

I don't doubt that Trump could very well backtrack on his LGBT promises, especially with the team he has surrounded himself with so far.

But... the link sounds more like gossip and it's from an overseas outlet. When some of the major US news outlets start picking it up then maybe we can get legit outraged, but it seems a bit premature just going off the link in the OP.

The problem is not necessarily just strictly Trump himself. It's the fact that we have a right leaning erratic populist in office with a government totally monopolized by evangelical republican theocrats. And Trump seems to agree with most of their social policy platform, whether it be sincerely or just for political positioning.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck religious freedom. Call it what it really is, Christian theocracy. If Republicans actually supported religious freedom they wouldn't be forcing theirs on everyone else.

Codeblue

Anyone watching CNN's Van Jones show? Holy mother of God is Rick Santorum a colossal asshole. Christ!

He's certainly something else and he's not the type of person I want to engage with. He's the type of person that needs to be left out in the cold when reasonable people hold discussions. I haven't forgotten why people took it upon themselves to redefine Santorum, and I'm not going to forget him just telling an American to leave her country because she isn't documented.

No one does this. Literally.

That is not a thing that happens

No, its about allowing business owners and managers to fire employees for being gay or to refuse service to gay customers.

Explicitly religious organizations like churches are exempt from virtually all discrimination laws. Its why the "religious freedom" argument is so laughable.

Churches aren't even forced to marry straight couple they don't like. They can refuse anyone.
Church ceremonies are private activities, not business transactions.

Thank you. I just didn't know about any of it and was curious. It's only something I heard very briefly or in random articles I have stumbled upon and it seemed ridiculous.

They got you looking so far off in some direction easily filed under "shit that doesn't really happen" for a reason. Vote on pure outrage. Get that empty suit in the white house ASAP, because he talks very loudly about a type of abortion that doesn't happen, or claims that a group with lower-than-average crime rates compared to natural born Americans are somehow "rapists".

Me saying this to you of course won't change anything. Enjoy digging up new villains to get angry about that your betters drew up out of thin air to keep you interested.

giphy.gif

royalan

Exactly, and he has made no action to make anyone panic at this point.

...filling your cabinet full of people who are anti-LGBT, and making a governor who legalized discrimination against gays in his state and promotes conversion therapy your Vice President is one hell of action to me.

On the one hand, this seems to be based on nothing more substantial than Trump making a promise, and I don't believe Trump's promises to Republicans hold water any more than his promises to the general electorate.

On the other hand, he's got a cabinet full of asshole stooges who might very well try to do this, anyway...

Kozak

Banned
Trump strikes me as a guy who wouldn't want to dwell on this for long or get stuck into a debate.

I really do just hope he pulls a "shut up and deal with it. I don't care what they do." and pushes for equal rights for LGBTQI community.

So fucked up that some LGBT+ actually voted for Trump.

I agree but I stopped being surprised by it when some voted for Dubya in '04

The "Fuck You, Got Mine" mentality is real and has been around for a loooooooooong time. And I don't know how you can combat it

Jeffrey

Do remember though, what happened with north carolina governor is super important.

It's now proven that 'religious freedom' is a pretty poor political move when businesses/events leave in retaliation. Even the most conservative governors will hesitate to act now if it takes jobs out of their area and hurt their ratings. And it seems like most people prefer jobs over hurting the gays etc.

It's a fairly huge win for LGBT community that I've not heard many people talk about.

Not to say the fight is anywhere over, but there is that sliver of hope there.

geomon

I agree but I stopped being surprised by it when some voted for Dubya in '04

The "Fuck You, Got Mine" mentality is real and has been around for a loooooooooong time. And I don't know how you can combat it

Like the Log Cabin Republicans. Someone needs to explain that shit to me. The GOP sees gay people as subhuman. Some of them even want to actually kill them as part of their evangelical christian religious right. And here they are voting them into power. I mean, what the fuck?

Like the Log Cabin Republicans. Someone needs to explain that shit to me. The GOP sees gay people as subhuman. Some of them even want to actually kill them as part of their evangelical christian religious right. And here they are voting them into power. I mean, what the fuck?
They view their economic freedoms as more important than their social ones.

TheFuzz

Once again, random political guy says he's getting "assurances" and "signals" from "supposedly" Trump.

Guys, Trump's a liar but let's not just assume hearsay is fact.

The article is an absolute joke and says nothing of substance whatsoever. This shouldn't even be a discussion without anything representing a fact that he has said or done this.

bionic77

I have met both a gay and muslim Trump supporter. Neither one admitted to supporting or voting for Trump until AFTER he won.

They both told me that Trump does not mean what he says and that he is going to be good for this country.

I just don't know what to say anymore. I find myself distancing myself from any Republicans or Trump supporters because of how angry I am these days. And these are people I otherwise like and get along with.

This country is so fucked...

Kozak

Banned
I have met both a gay and muslim Trump supporter. Neither one admitted to supporting or voting for Trump until AFTER he won.

They both told me that Trump does not mean what he says and that he is going to be good for this country.

I just don't know what to say anymore. I find myself distancing myself from any Republicans or Trump supporters because of how angry I am these days. And these are people I otherwise like and get along with.

This country is so fucked...

This is pretty much what happened to me but I'm in Australia so it doesn't affect me as much but to see friends come out of the wood work as Trump supporters...

man what a let down..

I just try to avoid any political discussion now

This is actually the most terrifying thing. We are in a country actively trying to be upheaved by theocrats that ironically subscribe to a form of Christian extremism. I have always believed that Evangelicals, given an unfettered platform of power, are the Christian equivalent of the Taliban.

The ultimate irony of "stop the muslims!"

Even in the absurd case of muslim extremists actually taking over America, in many places it would just make things more chill.

Look at the people surrounding him and than tell me how things are gonna go. He's not surrounding himself with the best people. A lot of the people he is surrounding himself with are of cartoon villain level. I mean the guy actually has a white nationalist in his administration and the vice president literally hates gay people so how do you think things are gonna go?

This. His actions speak louder than words.

This is pretty much what happened to me but I'm in Australia so it doesn't affect me as much but to see friends come out of the wood work as Trump supporters...

man what a let down..

I just try to avoid any political discussion now

No, don't do this. This is what the opposition wants. Do not shut yourself down. On the contrary, speak up and hold your ground.

Acinixys

The entirety of Trumps world and political view is basically "lol j/k"

I feel sorry for you America. God Emperor Trump is going to really fuck you for the next few years

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
To a degree it doesn't matter what Trump really does or doesn't think. He seems certain to install as many super conservative supreme court judges as possible. If SCOTUS goes majority conservative in the next few years, and democrats don't make gains in 2018, then conservative groups will have a field day. Everybody besides Trump has an obvious record of pandering to LGBT hate groups and religious culture warriors. The Trump administration as a whole will be firmly hostile towards LGBT persons. And behind them the GOP as a party is officially hostile towards LGBT persons.

Afrocious

Do remember though, what happened with north carolina governor is super important.

It's now proven that 'religious freedom' is a pretty poor political move when businesses/events leave in retaliation. Even the most conservative governors will hesitate to act now if it takes jobs out of their area and hurt their ratings. And it seems like most people prefer jobs over hurting the gays etc.

It's a fairly huge win for LGBT community that I've not heard many people talk about.

Yeah. I live in NC. Getting McCrory's dumbass out of office is still a victory in the sea of bullshit tragedy.

I hope more major companies stand up to these right-wing fucks.

They view their economic freedoms as more important than their social ones.

By "economic freedoms" I hope you mean massive debt for future generations aka fuck everybody born after you. Because that's all they'll get.

People have great lives because of being born into a proper society but they like to feel they accomplished everything on their own and would have done as well anywhere.

Funny how people are blaming Trump.

The republicans are in power. These sorts of things are their official party platform. Soon every law will be made with reference to religious considerations.

Trump or no Trump, this is what the American people voted for and this is what they will get.

It is incredibly sad.

Yeah. Trump shouldn't be absolved of responsibility, but it is critical that we don't get tunnel vision. The GOP's bigotry was there before Trump showed up, and it will still be there whether he is impeached, he resigns, or he completes his term(s).

By "economic freedoms" I hope you mean massive debt for future generations aka fuck everybody born after you. Because that's all they'll get.

People have great lives because of being born into a proper society but they like to feel they accomplished everything on their own and would have done as well anywhere.
It goes back to the "fuck you I got my own" It's basically a cycle of selfishness. A rich white gay man will benefit from lower taxes and rich people don't usually care about social issues. It doesn't really affect them that much, but higher taxes? GTFO. Throwing more debt towards the next generation is not their problem.

Trump won because he fooled a lot of people and lied to them, but he also has default supporters who are eager to get richer. People who will use the trickle down economy excuse to make millions. That amount of money was never going to be put back to the working class. People will be fooled with Trump lies again next election cycle with inflated figures of accomplishment(it already started) and if Large online advertisers, Google, Facebook, and other social media websites don't step in to stop online misinformation, he will most likely win again. Mark my words.

Cartman86

Banned
This is standard Republican and conservative values. Getting rid of protected classes and ensuring that businesses can discriminate for any reason, but especially a religious reason is a core thing. Any Republican controlled government would try to remove such protections if they could. Trump or not. Same with abortion.

danthefan

He chose to run with a homophobe, that in my eyes makes him homophobic.

Trump's VP pick (among several other cabinet picks who DO have an extensive history against LGBTQ+ rights) is a big red homophobic flag that the administration won't lift a finger to help advance human rights in this country.

I'm gonna go with "appointed an advocate of conversion therapy as his VP" for $500, Jim

Yes fair point, can't argue with that.

The problem is that that strategy really only works against things at the local or state level, and really only in the case of particularly egregious and noteworthy laws that garner a lot of public attention.

If something is done at the federal level, or if a bunch of states enact bullshit "religious freedom" laws all at once...what are those companies going to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom