• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Guts Obama Order Protecting LGBT Federal Employees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Acula

Banned
http://www.latimes.com/politics/was...gbtq-protections-in-1485867240-htmlstory.html

Your interpretation of what the article said is off. The original article says that "EO 11246 is affected" by this anti-LGBT order. EO 11246 was modified by President Obama to include "sexual orientation and gender identity" as categories of protected persons.

Affected doesn't mean overturned in full.

Whew, okay, I've been reading up on this for the last few minutes and it really seemed like Trump just overturned affirmative action. I was wondering why Twitter was not exploding.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
If you didn't bother to come off your ass to vote, or worse, refused to vote as a political expression, you deserve whatever will happen in the next 1386 days.
Still not the same as if they did that to vote for Trump. I emphasize that because these actions are not a mandate from the public. They fucked up and didn't vote for whatever reason. It's not the same as voting for this monster

Ac30

Whew, okay, I've been reading up on this for the last few minutes and it really seemed like Trump just overturned affirmative action. I was wondering why Twitter was not exploding.

I almost wish he had, would make blocking this EO in court a cakewalk. Either way, the ACLU needs to sue ASAP.

mr_nexus

Banned
But I thought he was going to unify the country. Could it be that people voted for a con man?

The answer is yes.

You get what you deserve and this is what America deserves.
So you are saying the LGBTQ community who mostly didn't vote for Trump deserve this?

But he held a rainbow flag so you know he's for LGBT people. /s

carlo-allegri-donald-trump-lgbt-flag-2016-presidential-election.jpg

"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

I keep returning to this quote.

The religious freedom angle just doesn't hold water. Government money? Government policy applies. Not just the executive orders, but the laws of the land (as interpreted by the courts). If you're running an adoption agency with Government money, you can't discriminate based on the sexual orientation of the guardian(s). Why doesn't that principle apply to other government contractors? This needs to go to the courts.

Bladenic

What does this accomplish? What? How does this help the economy?

Oh right, it doesn't, it merely allows hateful people who believe in some all powerful white man in the sky to discriminate based on that belief.

Disgusting trash.

Most of America didn't vote, and there's your problem.

Getting voters to vote and fighting the reasons for disinterest is the biggest enemy Dems must face. THe first trial will be in 2018. If they've learned ANYTHING, then they will try to mend their mistakes and motivate their voting population as a whole to vote when it counts.

Media is the best way as it's really how Trump supporters get their voice and their opinion and know when to actually vote.

BriGuy

So much for "coming together." Everything this administration has done or attempted to do is designed to make his hardcore base happy at the expense of literary everyone else.

Liberals care about the plight of immigrants? Bam, immigration ban.

Liberals care about the environment? Bam, slash funding to the EPA and put a climate change denying hack in charge of it.

Liberals care about Obamacare? Bam, try to repeal and replace it with something that's actively worse than replacing it with nothing at all. (And look out for the purposeful sabotage of Obamacare in the coming weeks and months in a heavy-handed attempt to "prove" some kind of point)

Liberals care about the LGBTQ community? Heh, they're just getting started.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Wasn't reflected in the thread title but like, all of this is pretty fucked too:

He basically got rid of all anti-discrimination wording in federal hiring. ALL OF IT.

This is the equivalent of rolling back the Civil Rights Act for a good chunk of the work force.

I could be wrong, however, a lot of the other types of discrimination are covered by other laws. A lot of non-discrimination laws across america don't include gay people which is why these executive orders were important.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Weren't there some conservative LGBT that were saying that they already won the marriage equality fight and everything was moving in the right direction and thus LGTB rights were no longer a concern? Yeah. I remember that. I swear there even was an article about it.

Weren't there some conservative LGBT that were saying that they already won the marriage equality fight and everything was moving in the right direction and thus LGTB rights were no longer a concern? Yeah. I remember that. I swear there even was an article about it.

Considering some gay males actually think this you're probably remembering that right.

Trump believes racism, sexism and bigotry are good for the economy.

He thinks making employers be diverse is hurting their profits.

That's all that I am inferring from Trump's executive orders. He'd rather help employers make money than help employees have equal rights.

Trump believes racism, sexism and bigotry are good for the economy.

He thinks making employers be diverse is hurting their profits.

That's all that I am inferring from Trump's executive orders. He'd rather help employers make money than help employees have equal rights.

It's a mind set that can only come from a life of believing and reinforcing that only straight white Christian males work hard and should make money while minorities and women simply mooch off of men's hard work.

commedieu

Banned
There is zero reason to do something like this other than pure, unconstitutional discrimination. Republicans are monsters bordering on dictators, and that walking sack of waste that conned half the country into thinking he's a human being deserves and needs to be impeached immediately. He and his party are actively ruining lives just for the sake of ruining lives with no regard whatsoever for the constitutionality of their actions.

This is what it meant when people said "don't throw your vote away writing in bernie or saying both sides and not voting. Vote Hillary. Then fix it with someone who is at least pretending to listen." All of this was evident day 1 of his election. No masks, no cover ups. He was a literal threat to the quality of life for many Americans. Then he surrounded himself with a literal nazi. Yet it's what a lot of people went for. Says a lot about your fellow Americans. Sure he didn't win the popular vote, but that's not how we elect presidents. Enough people agreed with him to win.

I can see why people say this is what we deserve. Because white people too are poor, and are lgbtq. Maybe once it affects them, we will see push back and change. For some reason that population has to be engulfed in flames and dying before having empathy.

The message of the GOP is evil, do not vote for them. Was met with a debate about protest voting and other nonsense. This election has taught people what it means to vote, and hopefully this never happens again.

Ac30

Can this be legally fought like the ACLU fought against the terribly disguised Muslim Ban?

Sexuality isn't protected under the CRA, is it? Would be difficult to fight in court, although with marriage legalized maybe now they can argue they are recognized and so should be protected?

Ms.Galaxy

Sexuality isn't protected under the CRA, is it? Would be difficult to fight in court, although with marriage legalized maybe now they can argue they are recognized and so should be protected?

It isn't, but I think someone can use the 14th amendment as a defense to stop it.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Ac30

It isn't, but I think someone can use the 14th amendment as a defense to stop it.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

It says no state may do it, does that mean the federal government cannot either?

Either way, ACLU better get started.

Definitely can't be stated enough, agreed. Thanks for sharing.

You get what you deserve and this is what America deserves.

The people who voted for Trump aren't the people affected by this. I get the sentiment, but it's a sentiment that has no place whatsoever in this thread. This isn't "oh robots are taking my jobs even though Trump said they wouldn't" or "oh my healthcare is fucked even though Trump said he'd fix it," it's "marginalized group got further marginalized."

Jazz573

Fuck us, right? :(

For the record, I live in Canada, but I am trans so it hurts to see people like me getting fucked over regardless of what country they live in.

PopeReal

Hahaha.

And there are still people on here that think liberals should be sympathetic/empathetic toward his supporters.

I remember that narrative being pushed heavily by moderate fence sitters around here after the election.

Luckily they have finally shut up. Which is the moderate thing to do.

Steel

Banned
Wasn't reflected in the thread title but like, all of this is pretty fucked too:

He basically got rid of all anti-discrimination wording in federal hiring. ALL OF IT.

This is the equivalent of rolling back the Civil Rights Act for a good chunk of the work force.

Trump is such fucking scum.

You know, I think I would genuinely prefer Lex Luthor to be President over this man. Luthor wouldn't pull this shit.

How sad I am that yeah, I would prefer Luthor and any other past Republican candidate for the presidency. At least they showed some kind of competence, and Luthor would bring a utopia to show that mankind is better than the extraterrestrials and superbeings.

Here, Trump just wants to stick it to the better of mankind 'cause they are more intelligent, kind, and successful. So he must bring it all down, burn it all down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom