• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump lost my vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing wrong with telling the dude WHY Trump was a shithead, but at least he arrived at the table. Most people don't even do that shit.

Ideally this is how the thread should go. Explaining everything Trump did and having OP look at in a different light (no longer supporting Trump), and welcoming OP to change his avatar to Hilldog.

Seriously OP, don't take it to heart that people will question why it took so long. No one is turning you away from HillGAF (or just not supporting Trump)..

But let's be clear, they both aren't as bad.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
He didn't get there, though. He's not voting for Trump, but that's not all "getting there" is about. OP still thinks it would have been totally fine if Trump was getting white supremacists all stirred up as long as it was just being done as a political tactic and not from a genuine place, and that's still really fucked up.

I know, I understand. In my mind, 100% (not half) of Trumpeters are deplorable. But I do still celebrate when people get off the crazy train because I recognize that sometimes we make mistakes or do not make the right decision but we have the power to change that. I have no understanding for those that don't, though.

This sounds sort of self-help and I don't usually like that, but just in general I'm happy for everyone who wakes up.

RowdyReverb

Why the fuck would you support someone who has to pander to those kinds of people in the first place!?
I saw it as a political necessity if somebody wanted to get elected with conservative ideas. Those terrible people are out there and there are a shitload of them in the US, and each of them carries with them the right to vote. Traditional conservatism is dying, and really the only shot a conservative candidate has is to court the devil and get those people to vote. Those people and their ideas will still exist regardless of whether Trump wins or loses the general, and the things they want from the government would never actually pass into law, so it's debatable whether it is of any consequence to take their votes

I was a die-hard Bernie supporter during the primary. When Hillary took the nomination, I reluctantly supported her. As this election has gone on, my support of her has just gotten stronger and stronger.

My question for anyone who genuinely supports Trump that I use all the time is "Why would you hire someone who's not a politician to do a politician's job? If your car needed to be fixed, would you look to a plumber who says he'll get your car working better than it ever has, or would you go to the mechanic who has decades of experience and knows the ins and outs of how it works, and what to fix to get results?" and they always either reply with silence or just get pissed. It really is that simple though. Why the hell would you hire a failed businessman to fix America?

I can't tell if you're extremely naive or just not paying attention at all.

Either way, at least you're not voting for that monster.

8fmWB7D.gif

source for this?

Ugh, who cares how long it took him. He's here. Wanna make him go back? Keep it up!
I don't care who anyone votes for. If Trump is really who this nation wants, we'll get it.

It's getting insane to me how many times I see people assuming Hillary is more crooked based on absolutely nothing. No proof, just a feel. We look at "Crooked Hillary" as a ridiculous catchphrase, but it works on people somehow.

djkimothy

As I said, I was under the impression that he was pandering to a certain audience and would not actually carry these ideals with him to the presidential election.

I like how you give Trump the benefit of the doubt but not Clinton after all the shit he's pulled. I guess mocking a disabled person and warming up to Putin is right up your alley...

It's because the left punishes ideological deviance more stringently than the left, so you perceive centrists as further right than they actually are.

If you need proof, see this thread where the guy who's said he's voting for your candidate id getting dogpiled because he didn't do it sooner. That's... not exactly how you win elections, guys. And your inability to model someone for whom the tape might be a last straw in switching support, when everything else before wasn't, impedes your ability to be persuasive and make change.

(incidentally, I also have no idea why the tape is more persuasive than anything else, but I'm pretty curious to know rather than attacking a guy who's finally provisionally against the cheeto fascist).
In any other election but this one I would agree with you. But in this election, it has been blindingly obvious that Trump is a sleazeball that has no business even stepping onto the White House lawn let alone the oval office. From the moment he announced his presidency and spoke on building a wall to keep the Mexican Rapists from crossing our borders, it should have been apparent.

I'm surprised that the comments he made 11 years ago was the thing that set people off. Nothing else he said this years has been that controversial for some reason. Despite him being a racist fuck.

(Edited for a better message.)

I'm glad you came around dude, but you need to understand that sometimes, people who put on a show may be more truthful with their personal views in that show than you'd expect.

Thank you for understanding

No problem.

We're never going to elevate politics into a more reasonable and mature space, if we don't treat each other with respect, before we start the criticizing.

Very few people will in today's world, feel 100% aligned and trusting of their candidate, but in the end, you're always going to get the diet-version of your candidate once they get elected.

I really don't believe most republicans who are voting for Trump, are ignoring how horrible as a person he is, his racism or sexism, but fully aware of the fact that he will be dampened every step of the way with congress and whatnot.

Again, it's not black and white, people want to create this narrative to make their opinions feel more validated, but politics will always remain antagonistic when we can't take every factor in consideration.

And for the record, I loathe Trump, I don't stand by any of his politics as I'm not a fiscal conservative and don't believe that an unregulated and untaxed free market will solve anything, as well do I detest him as an amoral, childish, racist, sexists, stupid person.

One candidate attacked a gold star family.
One candidate made fun of a disabled man at his rallies.
One candidate told his supporters that if they beat up protesters at his rallies he'd pay their legal fees.
One candidate disavowed David Duke with the same passion I have when I disavow still having sex with my ex that all my friends hate.
One candidate suggested that his supporters could try and kill Hillary Clinton.
One candidate made fun of a war hero for being captured.
One candidate refers to an entire race of people as rapists FIRST, then later assumes that maybe a few are good people.
One candidate wants to ban an entire religion from the country.
One candidate referred to blacks protesting against being killed in the streets as race riots.
One candidate has suggested to his supporters that they should "watch" polling places in minority neighborhoods to make sure people are "voting correctly."
One candidate approved psychologically damaging "Conversion therapy" be included on the Republican platform.
One candidate insists that our first Black President is not actually American.
One candidate has slandered a former Miss Universe he previously weight-shamed and suggested she had a sex tape that people should look for. A sex tape that doesn't exist.
One candidate took out a full-page ad calling for 4 black and 1 latino men to be executed for a rape they would later be exonerated for. He still insists they're guilty as recently as two days ago.
One candidate has made fun of his opponent for being sick on the campaign trail.
One candidate has insisted that an entire race of Americans are living in hell and if you walk down their streets you'll be shot.
One candidate thinks it's OK to grab women "by the pussy" because he's famous.

But "both sides are slimy" huh?

You forgot:

One candidate has not paid Taxes in 20 years and thinks he is smart.
One candidate kicked a baby from his rally.
One candidate supports Stop and Frisk
One candidate has been sued for discriminatory practices in his business
One candidate has accused Mexicans for being rapists and murderers
One candidate almost botched foreign relations with Mexico, Iran and NATO.
One candidate is seemingly in cahoots with Putin
One candidate is not really that rich
One candidate has stiffled on business partners all around the continent
One candidate has had 3 marriages, on which there is strong suspicion that cheating was involved.

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART:
ONE CANDIDATE THINKS A TACO BOWL IS A THING

Yet HRC is somehow "not personable enough"

Link

The Autumn Wind
Well if you come from the perspective of focusing on something like fiscal conservatism, I can see that it would be hard to completely let go of Trump and vote for Clinton.

I really doubt most educated and reasonable republican/republican-leaning people, are having an easy time with their decision.
I can understand this. With how polarized things are these days, I don't think I could ever vote for a Republican. If Anthony Weiner or someone similar ended up being the Democratic nominee, I don't think I would be able to vote for either candidate. It'd be a tough spot to be in.

Ugh, who cares how long it took him. He's here. Wanna make him go back? Keep it up!

This is how I feel. You don't dogpile someone who owns up to a mistake and wants to do the right thing. Good job OP on valuing your country over party loyalty.

Ideally this is how the thread should go. Explaining everything Trump did and having OP look at in a different light (no longer supporting Trump), and welcoming OP to change his avatar to Hilldog.

Seriously OP, don't take it to heart that people will question why it took so long. No one is turning you away from HillGAF (or just not supporting Trump)..

But let's be clear, they both aren't as bad.

After seeing Trump and his supporters spout all this shit I can see why people are piling on. Like, to the outsiders, it's so simple. But look at OP. He's at the table, and probably willing to talk if you let him. This is a good chance to have a sensible conversation and explain why Trump is a gigantic piece of shit. No need for everyone to start attacking the OP like the dude is still gonna vote for him.

I'm genuinely appalled that you even considered voting for him and it took this long, after everything, to finally come to the conclusion you won't vote for him.

while its great that you won't any longer, the fact that you even seriously considered doing so is why everyone in here is going to be pretty unhappy.

GutsOfThor

I saw it as a political necessity if somebody wanted to get elected with conservative ideas. Those terrible people are out there and there are a shitload of them in the US, and each of them carries with them the right to vote. Traditional conservatism is dying, and really the only shot a conservative candidate has is to court the devil and get those people to vote. Those people and their ideas will still exist regardless of whether Trump wins or loses the general, and the things they want from the government would never actually pass into law, so it's debatable whether it is of any consequence to take their votes

I understand your thoughts. Sorry if I came across as hostile in my first post. I'm glad you came to your senses.

Durden77

GAF, you're terrible sometimes. When an alcoholic says they want to stop drinking, you don't say "WOW CAN'T BELIEVE IT TOOK YOU THIS LONG YOU IDIOT. YOU'RE AN IDIOT WOW. BASICALLY I'M TELLING YOU TO DRINK MORE IDIOT."

Even if they're not who feel they should be yet, it's still a step that should be encouraged.

Once again, thanks for sharing OP. Glad he has lost your vote, whatever it took.

aeolist

Banned
As I said, I was under the impression that he was pandering to a certain audience and would not actually carry these ideals with him to the presidential election.

what was it about any of his public behavior in the last 30 years that gave you this idea? the only thing surprising about this tape is that it took this long for someone to come public with a recording of him saying things like this

I'm genuinely appalled that you even considered voting for him and it took this long, after everything, to finally come to the conclusion you won't vote for him.

while its great that you won't any longer, the fact that you even seriously considered doing so is why everyone in here is going to be pretty unhappy.
Yep. We've seen 16 months of Donald Trump running for president, and nothing in those 16 months got OP to go against him vs "crooked" Hillary, which is a descriptor OP used but can't even substantiate since they imply it's just plain gut feeling about that and how personable she is. It's bizarre.

GrizzNKev

Banned

bruh.... DUDE................

Look at what you just wrote.

If the only way to give conservative ideas power in the US is to attach to horrible people, then maybe they're not good ideas.

!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
You know what, at least you got there. I'm not going to pounce on you for it taking the past year to get to this point. I'm just really glad you got here.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it's right to blame or critique people for coming to the right conclusion slowly. At least they got there. There are certainly issues I've been wrong on in the past and I give myself credit for getting to right. Hillary is the same. At least you are doing the right thing when it matters.

Good job, OP. Donald Trump would be a huge disaster for our democracy.

Was about to post something like this.

It's like some of you guys almost want to push him back to the other side.

PSqueak

Banned

Unhappy is not the word i would use to describe the dogpile the OP got, in fact, a lot of people here seemed very eager and happy to trash OP.

aeolist

Banned
GAF, you're terrible sometimes. When an alcoholic says they want to stop drinking, you don't say "WOW CAN'T BELIEVE IT TOOK YOU THIS LONG YOU IDIOT. YOU'RE AN IDIOT WOW. BASICALLY I'M TELLING YOU TO DRINK MORE IDIOT."

Een if they're not who feel they should be yet, it's still a step that should be encouraged.

Once again, thanks for sharing OP. Glad he has lost your vote, whatever it took.

the fact that anyone acts as if his prior behavior or the stated policy positions of his party were acceptable while the spoken words "grab her by the pussy" is beyond the pale is offensive to me

I mean

Welcome aboard, but that it took so long means that you should catch a lot of shit.

Nah, not really. If he's willing to listen and learn, why should he catch shit?

This is what I'm talking about. Dude is at the table. Catching shit at this point when he's openly willing to have a conversation and talk with people about why Trump is shit is going to push him right back into the arms of Trump. We don't need that.

If people are willing to change, that's perfectly fine. There's no reason to continue to go in on them after the fact unless it's pertinent to this conversation. And unless OP is still on some dangerous thinking level stuff unrelated to the election and refuses to talk, then leave him be.

Fox Mulder

Trump is a piece of shit, but I assume many regular republicans tolerating that are mostly just considering the Supreme Court and other republican agenda they approve of that would get passed under him vs Hillary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom