• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump lost my vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai

Bruh ain't nothing to talk about with Trump all his bullshit is obvious and blatant no ambguity

Hell he started his campaign on let's ban all Muslims and build a wall to keep Mexican rapist and criminals out

If that's not a huge red flag I don't know what is
How to shrink your political movement

Hey I feel you, I'm a minority as well, but at some point if the dude is willing to discuss his wrongs, we need to coddle.

FTFY.

Just kidding. It is disappointing to see the OP change his mind so late in the game, however, his mind has been changed. Piling on him for it isn't constructive, but destructive.

Good to hear OP. But I have a question... What makes Hillary more slimy? Because she might be in the pockets of Wall Street? Do we not take into consideration all the things she has accomplished in her career? Helped reduce uninsured children in America by half, fought for LBGT and women's rights before it was even "cool" to talk about them, and her efforts to reform US healthcare?

In EVERY election cycle, I've seen sooo many people claim there aren't any good candidates. Yet, almost no one can give me ONE reason why they feel that way other than "I heard on the news that He/She did... something." Look at the details, look at the facts. Both parties are not the same.

In any case, OP, I'm glad you saw the light. I just hope you learn from this and evaluate your political candidates more critically going forward.

we don't agree on anime, but we can agree on this.

It might be unacceptable to you, I'm giving the point of view of folks I know that don't put that much weight on it. Call it a 'fuck you got mine' mentality for them as they're minorities, but that's the reality. And again, they hand wave it away because they don't think he can be that bad.

This too. I think the hostility is unwarranted. We should embrace people coming to realize what is really at hand.

Edit:
I know lots of well off minorities voting for Trump because they want the sweet tax cuts.

Ascenion

OP it's okay, it's fine that he had your vote this long or rather the potential. The OP sounds more like you don't particularly like either candidate and Trump just lost the potential for your vote. I say it's okay as a black male republican who was voting for Trump up until his rally I attended in my hometown (Wilmington, NC). I excused the racism, the pandering all of it. I'm horrified can't say why I did it. Not sure if it was more party loyalty or more to not be called a RINO by my fellow party mates. I guess I'm more horrified that it took him telling people to use the second amendment for Hillary and not all the racist hateful attacks and comments he actively promotes. So I'll say it's selfishness. Racism exists but when you live a sheltered privalliged life in the south as a black man I guess you tend to be disconnected and not care about your fellow man's plight because it isn't you suffering. Hell my parents are voting for Trump at least my dad still is so I dunno, just thought I'd say I'm not so different from you in that it took longer than it should've for him to lose my vote. It doesn't mater how long it took as long as it was before November 8th.

Lunar15

Good. Please read up and be aware of a lot of things before voting. As people have said, none of this is new or surprising to people who have been up on the things Trump has said for a long time.

But hey, you figured it out and are now making a stand.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Good to hear OP. But I have a question... What makes Hillary more slimy? Because she might be in the pockets of Wall Street?

And, perhaps more importantly, how does that not apply a hundred times over to Trump? In many very negative senses, he is Wall Street.

lazypants

What should the people who once supported Trump but who no longer do, do with themselves? Just accept that they are not allowed to change their mind? that they are irredeemable and just inherently awful for not realizing it sooner? Just accept they are terrible and kill themselves? Because apparently realizing you were wrong and talking about why and working to fix your mistakes is not an option.

Attempting to have a civil conversation is coddling?
Being ok with it for a fuckin year is the problem

Saying this as a latino not born in this country, keep it going if you want, shit like this will get us nowhere.

You are a bigger problem than OP at this point
A bigger problem than the OP who reasons for voting trump consisted of 'he won't actually do any of that' and 'I wasn't paying attention to the election'?

Right

theWB27

This wasn't going to go any other way. We all knew this, even if you or I were to convince 10 people this isn't the way to about it at least 10 other people would ignore the advice and pile on.This whole thing has gone way too divisive and I'm not even sure you can reasonably expect most people to discuss civilly about opposing view that threaten their lives, jobs, well being and family. This isn't some minor dislike people have for Trump supporters but physical revulsion. (Like the same sort of revulsion Trump supporter have for almost everything else, that or complete apathy).

This would matter if the op was going to vote trump.

Their attacking as if that didn't happen.

Like...whatever anyone has to say to a trump supporter wouldn't mean anything if they're sticking with him. But...op saw what was up and still they attack. Even though the outcome is already what they would've wanted.

Extremely petty.

ibyea

Banned
I guess part of the whole thing is that it's hard to believe that this is what broke the straw after all the horrible things Trump has said. Even now I am struggling to not yell something at OP because I just don't get it. It's very much impossible, at least for me, to put myself on the other side of the fence and empathize in terms of this issue. While it is strategically better to be more accepting, when people's lives feel threatened because of Trump, it's not exactly easy to be civil.

Apparently realizing you support something reprehensible and changing your mind is not allowed among liberals.

Good thing Hillary and Obama have never held abhorrent views at any point!

What should the people who once supported Trump but who no longer do, do with themselves? Just accept that they are not allowed to change their mind? that they are irredeemable and just inherently awful for not realizing it sooner? Just accept they are terrible and kill themselves? Because apparently realizing you were wrong and talking about why and working to fix your mistakes is not an option.
They're not allowed out of the basket.

I think I have even less respect for people who pulled support for Trump now than I did before they did. You supported a monster and only stopped when it reached a tipping point of it not being popular to. Absolutely pathetic

entremet

I just hope some of you never become hostage negotiators lol.

Tact is necessary for winning people over to your side.

you can attempt to discuss with OP about why he's choosing right but for the wrong reasons, but there are better ways to go about it.

This thread just further emphasizes that the only way we're going to ever have an actual conversation with someone who is (actually) voting Trump is if it's heavily moderated to make it clear all out antagonism and toxicity is a no. You aren't going to convince anyone, much less try to learn about their point of view, by screaming at them and/or mocking. You're going to make them double down or make them leave

theWB27

I think I have even less respect for people who pulled support for Trump now than I did before they did. You supported a monster and only stopped when it reached a tipping point of it not being popular to. Absolutely pathetic

So you'd be more ok if they kept their trump support. Pathetic in its own right.

Hip Hop

Being ok with it for a fuckin year is the problem

A bigger problem than the OP who reasons for voting trump consisted of 'he won't actually do any of that' and 'I wasn't paying attention to the election'?

Right

And this people, is never good to be an extremist of something.

Right or Left, doesn't matter to me. You only damage yourself.

So you'd be more ok if they kept their trump support. Pathetic in its own right.

Of course not. Me being okay with his action is a complete separate matter from my respect for him. I'm not stupid enough to say him pulling his vote isn't undoubtedly a positive thing, but the fact he had to wait until enough negativity surrounding Trump piled on, instead of seeing him for what he was early on, is what loses him more respect. It wasn't some misguided ignorance no matter how much he tries to explain it as so. He just didn't give a shit

BigBeauford

He said he wants to stop Muslims from immigrating into the USA, I think I am getting off the Trump train now.

"Fuck you, you were supposed to be off when he said he was going to build a wall!"

Cyan

Banned
OP is out, so we probably don't need people to keep piling on them. (Also in general this kind of reaction post is probably better in an existing thread than as a new one, given that we already have a ton of threads on this topic.)

Just a couple of things. Please remember that being right and another person being wrong is not an excuse to be a jerk. Attacking people and piling may or may not be effective as a tactic (it probably isn't), but either way it's still being a jerk. Don't be a jerk.

And... this isn't really a moderation note so much as a general thought (mod power abuse tbh). Barring some kind of argument-total-war, it's usually better to leave people you disagree with some kind of escape route. Yes it's fun and satisfying to block everything off so you can really unload on them, but the end result is that while you might get a glorious argument victory, it's much harder for them to actually change their mind.

Give people you're arguing with enough space to gracefully back out and change positions. It doesn't have to mean they're getting away with something. And yes, I know it's tempting to write off anyone who would be influenced in their opinions by the way others treat them... but then you're writing off most of humanity. We're all humans. Humans are weird. So it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom