• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump lost my vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verelios

The people who supported Trump because of his more immoral stances on social issues are not going to be found anywhere near this forum. I understand that it is important to fight against this sentiment, and that perhaps attacking me can be used as some sort of outlet for this rage, but explaining to me that racism is wrong is not going to affect those attitudes.
The decision that I and others like me have to make is whether or not we want to sacrifice our opinions on other issues important to us in order to vote against him.

I didn't pay much attention to the man prior to his candidacy
I love GAF, but you cant really believe this

I had thought he was taking advantage of people who hold xenophobic views, which is a sound, albeit distasteful political strategy. I mean, you can't argue with the results that the strategy has produced.

Ehhhh im happy you finally came around but your not casting yourself in a good light when you post stuff like that. it's commendable you are being honest but just take the L my friend, admit your ignorance and try to be more informed next time around. Taking advantage of people who hold xenophobic views is not a sound strategy, it legitimizes hate and that should never be acceptable as a strategy.

theWB27

And what I'm saying is that somebody who would do that is a shitty person who does not deserve to be President. Pandering to them is just as bad as being racist himself. He gave them a voice, legitimized their views and enabled them. The fact that you thought that was okay up until today speaks volumes about you. I would hope people would be more responsible with their vote, but I guess not. You should do everyone a favor and abstain.

Op is being responsible with their vote by not voting trump.

I don't see what you're trying to get across at this point.

Kinyou

It's not a matter of day one, there have been many opportunities for people to figure out that Trump is a not-good person

So inevitably, TC will have to answer for a lot of the things that did not rule Trump out as an option, especially when they are talking about how they don't understand how someone could make a decision so quickly wrt going for Hillary here.
But what's the benefit of it? It's not like you'll convince him to vote for Hillary since he already does that. The downside of shitting on someone who changed their mind too late seems clear to me though.

As I said, I was under the impression that he was pandering to a certain audience and would not actually carry these ideals with him to the presidential election.

That's stupid.

If he's pandering or not is irrelevant. The damage is already done just by giving these mouthbreathing fucktards seeming justification for their hatemongering.

RowdyReverb

Did you guys miss where OP said they only read the headlines and that was how they got their information? That they were that busy for 16 months to do any sort of independent research on this important choice.
Can you please get off my back? The election isn't for another month. You are behaving as if I voted for him yesterday and now regret it. If the headlines could get to me, they can get to others, and it is important to realize that.

Mr. X

As I said, I was under the impression that he was pandering to a certain audience and would not actually carry these ideals with him to the presidential election.
You were willing to vote Trump on the off chance he didn't mean what he was saying his entire campaign. You shouldn't have admitted this.

Euron

But we also have to call out the thinking that allowed Trump to be palpable in the first place. To not do that is just treating the symptom, not the cause. And then what will happen in 4 years when we get another Trump in slightly better packaging?

The terrifying thing here, the truly terrifying thing, is that an equally dangerous, racist, hateful man believing everything Trump does could have won by being not-so-visibly ignorant.

And that says nothing about Hillary Clinton (the most decorated politician who ran this election with more votes cast for her than any candidate on either side), and EVERYTHING about the world we live in.
Absolutely, but we need to make sure our attacks are against that line of thinking rather than the people themselves who may have supported the thinking at one point.

Many people are simply not informed at all. People on GAF are lucky, we have articles constantly pop up from a variety of sources detailing all the heinous things not only Trump but many other candidates have done and said. However, not all of GAF spends enough time on here or at least in OT to see everything. And some people simply do not have much of an interest in politics at all, so they base what little opinions they may have off of hearsay or maybe a few key points that may find their way to them.

Anyone who spends enough time on GAF in OT knows that Trump is a massive racist/misogynist/bigot who has no intent of changing and that also goes for many other Republicans. But to many others? The lack of progress hurts them so much that they decide that maybe someone who isn't a politician can change things. Trump is a snake oil salesman: Loud enough to get everyone in the world to hear him but crafty enough for many to miss his true message.

We cannot attack the people themselves for falling for this facade. Some people are much more sensitive than others and will retaliate an attack on their person with a vote for something terrible just to spite you. Let them know why the viewpoints are terrible, why and how they were deceived, make sure they become properly informed, and ban together to stop this hate from spreading any more.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Like many of others have said: his locker room antics are what pushed you to the breaking point, but none of the horrendous stuff prior to this made you jump ship?

The only reason you posted this is because you wanted some form of acceptance on this forum.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Can you please get off my back? The election isn't for another month. You are behaving as if I voted for him yesterday and now regret it. If the headlines could get to me, they can get to others, and it is important to realize that.

Did you vote in your state's primary?

Nephix

While also saying they assume Hillary is "probably crooked" based on how they imagined her personally.

Like I get what people are saying about not shaming OP, but this is some shameful critical thinking on part of OP that deserves some deconstruction. It feels like they only read the headlines and got sucked into the brainwashing parts of PR and a bit of good old classic sexism.

You are way too emotionally invested in this thread, calm down. :/
Literally spamming every page with the same bit about him possibly thinking that Hillary is "crooked". We can all read, you don't need to repeat it.

Gattsu25

Banned
I had thought he was taking advantage of people who hold xenophobic views, which is a sound, albeit distasteful political strategy. I mean, you can't argue with the results that the strategy has produced.

I can sort of understand. A lot of people, during the primary season, were convinced that he was only a pretend white supremacist who held deeply sexist views toward women and was openly discriminatory to people outside of his professed faith.

The primary season ended months ago, however. He hasn't changed one bit.

Prax

OP, you were pretty delusional in your logic when it comes to your reasoning to voting for Trump or are very low-information voter or something.

Like you come across as extremely gullible or can easily fall for conspiracy theories/screw yourself and others (!) over with twisted thinking. It seems to me like your "indecision" probably leads to a lot of conflict with others in your life when things should be really blatantly obvious if this is any indication to your general life outlook. Be careful about money and scams in other endeavours. Don't throw people under the bus on illusions.

/armchairanalysis

I can sort of understand. A lot of people, during the primary season, were convinced that he was only a pretend white supremacist who held deeply sexist views toward women and was openly discriminatory to people outside of his professed faith.

Hell, we had some people thinking he was in cahoots with the Clinton's, lol.

Any reason for the hostility towards OP I'm missing? You would think he's saying that he changed his vote to Trump.

I know plenty of people who think he's playing up this persona to pander to people and ignore it in favor of his actual policies. It's not an unheard of view.

RowdyReverb

First: I am truly grateful for your change of heart. Your country thanks you.

Second: Can you tell us what we could say to our conservative friends that would maybe help change their minds (you being a swing voter and all)?
I think that you should encourage them to evaluate how strongly they wish to hold onto their more conservative opinions and whether or not it is worth electing the candidate who shares those opinions, even though he has proven to be bigoted and perhaps unqualified for the position in question. Recognize that there is a sacrifice to be made by those people if they do decide not to vote for Trump, because it is tantamount to conceding that for the next 4+ years, the president will not be speaking for them.

But what's the benefit of it? It's not like you'll convince him to vote for Hillary since he already does that. The downside of shitting on someone who changed their mind too late seems clear to me though.

To strongly emphasize that supporting Trump in spite of what he said or did before yesterday's leak is unacceptable.

Order

Any reason for the hostility towards OP I'm missing? You would think he's saying that he changed his vote to Trump.

I know plenty of people who think he's playing up this persona to pander to people and ignore it in favor of his actual policies. It's not an unheard of view.
Because supporting someone who's "just pretending" to be racist is still really fucking suspect.

Yeah it's true that people here used to find Trumps antics an entertaining distraction until it became clear that not everyone was laughing at him.

subrock

props to you OP. Sometimes the hardest part is allowing yourself to be okay with changing your mind. I think Hillary will make a great president.

To strongly emphasize that supporting Trump in spite of what he said or did before yesterday's leak is unacceptable.

You can do that while having a discussion. A proper one. OP even said he wanted to discuss things. But you are still on that blame game my dude. Let it go. At this point, we can converse.

watershed

Banned
I don't want to dog pile on the OP, although maybe I already have, but it is just sad to think about the OP and other voters being totally comfortable supporting Trump and all his policies but Trump saying "pussy" crosses the line.

Proposing the US torturing people? No problem. Killing the family of "terrorists"? No problem. Not paying taxes for decades and losing nearly a billion dollars while claiming to be a business genius? No problem. Constantly demeaning and attacking women? No problem. Use the word "pussy" on tape? End of the line Trump!

It's like even if you delude yourself into thinking he's "faking" it still ends up with the same result of making racist and bigoted views more acceptable, no matter what it's unacceptable.

aeolist

Banned

"distasteful"

not "dangerous" or "immoral" or "fascist"

it was only a problem because it sounded bad

you fit right in with the rest of the republican party

fart town usa

Gold Member

Gaf gonna gaf.

Good on you for your self-reflection and coming to terms. It's more effort than a lot of people are willing to put forth.

Like many of others have said, his locker room antics are what pushed you the breaking point, but none of the horrendous stuff prior to this made you jump ship?

The only reason you posted this is because you wanted some form of acceptance on this forum.

It's important to reach out to undecided/on the fence voters, there's always alot of them it happens every election, and they are the ones who ultimately decide the election. We shouldn't admonish the op and others likeminded individuals for not making their mind until now.

Well sure, but that's also why I said I don't care if people vote Trump, because we'll get what we ask for. I don't care about the election and political circus as much as I care that you and half this country overlooked Trump's behavior and racism for 16 months. To me, you're someone that has to really think about voting for a man who still wants us to kill 4 black men and 1 Latino for a rape 20 years ago that they were exonerated for by DNA evidence and the real rapist's confession, which is the first news story where most of us heard about Trump because he took out this ad in the NYT wanting to have them killed.

NYTRUMPweb2-blog427.jpg

So yeah, that's sketchy of you, to me, regardless of any level of distance from following the issues and news.

b987c4aab663e806dc55d40b8590fc88.jpg

tumblr_mz2xadqAh51sd5mx7o2_250.gif

fart town usa

Gold Member
I don't want to dog pile on the OP, although maybe I already have, but it is just sad to think about the OP and other voters being totally comfortable supporting Trump and all his policies but Trump saying "pussy" crosses the line.

Proposing the US torturing people? No problem. Killing the family of "terrorists"? No problem. Not paying taxes for decades and losing nearly a billion dollars while claiming to be a business genius? No problem. Constantly demeaning and attacking women? No problem. Use the word "pussy" on tape? End of the line Trump!

Many of those proposals have been in effect by the democratic party for the last 8 years and show no signs of changing. It goes both ways albeit under different terms/policies.

You can do that while having a discussion. A proper one. OP even said he wanted to discuss things. But you are still on that blame game my dude. Let it go. At this point, we can converse.

People are still having a conversation with the OP, even those who are admonishing him. As was noted, this isn't a regular election - TC wouldn't be receiving as much guff if this was an ex-McCain voter saying this kind of stuff.

aeolist

Banned
It's important to reach out to undecided/on the fence voters, there's always alot of them it happens every election, and they are the ones who ultimately decide the election. We shouldn't admonish the op and others likeminded individuals for not making their mind until now.

this actually isn't true, there aren't enough undecided/independent voters to swing presidential elections either way. at this point it's entirely decided by who is able to rally their base more effectively.

Because supporting someone who's "just pretending" to be racist is still really fucking suspect.

It's people who think it's a strategy to appeal to an audience that is known to be heavily racist. It's hoping for too much for a man who hasn't really shown to be that clever in strategy, but whatever it's their view.

I live in Texas and I have latino and hindu friends and coworkers who approve of his views in the potitical aspect. It happens. The racist views don't personally affect them in their life and regular routine, so they ignore it and focus on his platform.

Hey GAF why don't you submit literally hundreds of posts telling a guy that he's either ignorant or a bad person for not voting against a bigot fast enough.

BigBeauford

By saying you are offended that he wasn't offended by something you find offensive, is telling someone what they should or shouldn't be offended by, sounds an awful lot like conservative talk. And that's offensive.

it's important to not disparage the OP for making up his mind this late in the cycle,

not eveyone votes for the same reasons

people got to respect his reasons for making the change

commedieu

Banned
People are making the mistake thinking that racism is a big deal to people. It really isn't. Just to those affected by it and the empathetic.

Good for you, but man. It sucks that there are people like you that justify facism. We are so connected to the fears and plight of others in 2016. It's bizarre to me that building a wall and banning muslims would be something to not immediately put one off. But if you don't have a dog in the fight, how can I be surprised? If you think hateful rhetoric is just a strategy.. again.. how can I be surprised.

Our country has a long way to go.

RowdyReverb

I think I need to back away from this thread. I am sorry if parts of my post were inflammatory toward Clinton supporters. This is not the path that I had intended for this discussion to take, and replying to posts has painted me into appearing to defend Trump while I was trying to explain my previous ambivalence. Thank you to those who took the time to engage in a dialogue with me.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Not gonna lie, you guys are acting like some real assholes right now to someone who just switched their vote from Trump. Did it take them awhile in doing so? Yes. Can you be upset at that? Sure. But by no means does that give you the right to jump down their throat about it. There are some of you (and you damn well know who you are) who are waaaaay too invested in this ordeal and really, really need to step back because you're not helping. Chill out.

People are still having a conversation with the OP, even those who are admonishing him. As was noted, this isn't a regular election - TC wouldn't be receiving as much guff if this was an ex-McCain voter saying this kind of stuff.

You and others think you are having a conversation, but it's incredibly one-sided here. Instead of "why did you think like that?", it's "you are a shitty person for thinking like that full stop". You keep running back to what he did instead of why he did it.

Prax

Coddling is not everyone's style, nor is it always effective or worthwhile.

I'm glad the responses are not all just clapping and hugs for OP making a better decision eventually.

this actually isn't true, there aren't enough undecided/independent voters to swing presidential elections either way. at this point it's entirely decided by who is able to rally their base more effectively.

I disagree, look at the swing states, where the margin of victory is often very slim (like Florida in the 2000 election). The bases are a small percentage of the general voting population.

watershed

Banned
Many of those proposals have been in effect by the democratic party for the last 8 years and show no signs of changing. It goes both ways albeit under different terms/policies.

Aside from the US drone program what are you talking about? It really doesn't go both ways. Democrats protect a women's legal access to safe abortion. Republicans want to make abortion illegal and punish women who seek abortions. They are already making abortion services near impossible to access. Democrats do not share Trump's policies or views. What are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom