• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Orders Establishment of Sixth Military Branch - Space Force

7he Talon

Donald Trump says he is ordering the establishment of a sixth branch of the military to clear the way for American dominance in space.
"It is not enough to merely have an American presence in space. We must have American dominance in space," Mr Trump said before a meeting of his National Space Council. - ABC Report

President Trump said on Monday that he would direct the Pentagon to establish a sixth branch of the armed forces dedicated to protecting American interests in outer space, an idea that has troubled lawmakers and even some members of his administration, who have cautioned that the action could create unnecessary bureaucratic responsibilities for a military already burdened by conflicts. - New York Times Article

Opens up and interesting debate surrounding space, the military and who controls what as a Galactic empire is established.

LordPezix

YYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

You beat me to the thread but hell yeah for this.

GUYS WE LIVE IN THE TIME AND AGE OF SPACE FORCE!!!!!!!!

activate phasers......

zumphry

Banned
He doesn't have time to stop separating families at the border but has time for this? Great priorities. Very pro-life of him.

thanks, president pissbaby

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Missed opportunity to call it the Space Marines. Many generations have been trained in the path of a Space Marine, so you likely wouldn’t be shy on volunteers for Orbital Drop Shock Troopers, Spartan projects or soon to be battle brothers for Holy Terra.

I’ll also accept Space Rangers if their motto is “To infinity and beyond “.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Missed opportunity to call it the Space Marines. Many generations have been trained in the path of a Space Marine, so you likely wouldn’t be shy on volunteers for Orbital Drop Shock Troopers, Spartan projects or soon to be battle brothers for Holy Terra.

I’ll also accept Space Rangers if their motto is “To infinity and beyond “.
Those can easily be units within the overall Space Force.

Sounds like a MST3k movie.

But, seriously, if this makes the DoD budget bloat go towards something worthwhile, I'm all for it. Better to build orbital solar cannons or a mass driver on the moon and get technology from (solar power satellites and lunar-intermediate site) that than to keep "saving" the ME from the people we gave it to the last time we "saved" it.

Unfortunately, the budget will probably go on top of the current one, rather than carve out a chunk of it :/

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
This one of Trump’s flashy announcements that will amount to nothing, like the NK stuff.

I don't think enough time has passed for you to say that. Time will tell whether the North Korea stuff amounts to anything, although I would argue that Kim crossing the DMZ and shaking Moon's hand, returning hostages, and even meeting with a US president at all amounts to something.

Where's my Undersea Force Trump? No,no not the Navy but one that could go deeper into the abyss of the oceans. We might need one for the coming of cthulhu. Whenever that time may be. After all, we have explored very little of the deep parts of the ocean, and he may just be down there.

Ke0

America is totally going to reach $1T annually for their military budget sooner than most expected.

With what $ do we fund this imaginary force?

Taxes! Cut a few million from education, health, and social welfare, reallocate to military on top of a few billions. Call it balancing the budget and being fiscally conservative!

This one of Trump’s flashy announcements that will amount to nothing, like the NK stuff.
Except North Korea is denuclearizing as we speak, and he possibly prevented a war with NK that people were predicting was going to happen. Try again.

I don't agree with everything the guy does (going after violent video games in the aftermath of Parkland, trying to replace food stamps with MREs and food boxes), but I like Trump overall and I love his "America first" approach. Many far leftists call it racist or xenophobic. I see it as a man who cares about his country. A good leader should strive to put their own country before others.

Looks like we will see the rapid militarization of near earth orbit. Russia already has toys ready (fractional orbital bombardment ICBMs that can be deposited to and sit in orbit indefinitely) and China has mastered targeting of satellites at all altitudes. What will US do? Create a military base on the moon with a healthy nuke contingent?

Looks like we will get our space battles earlier than we thought. First one to colonize and exploit Mercury wins the space wars.

Last edited:
Except North Korea is denuclearizing as we speak, and he possibly prevented a war with NK that people were predicting was going to happen. Try again.

If you believe NK is denuclearizating I’d like to interest you in some prime Florida real estate. The only war he prevented is one he almost started.

Rest assured north korea will never give up its nuclear arsernal. But this latest situation can be used to spin north korea into a non issue, by making it a neutral or even semi-friendly state. Then it doesn't matter that it has nukes.

Finally we going to have a live action reality tv, Americanized Wings of Honnêamise. Begun has the second great meme war.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
If you believe NK is denuclearizating I’d like to interest you in some prime Florida real estate. The only war he prevented is one he almost started.

You gotta give credit for getting it this far though even if it does fall through, it's still a lot better than doing nothing and getting nowhere as previous presidents had accomplished.

People need to really stop picking sides and work together to get things done. Trying to hold back positives because of a grudge of it not being your team in play is just plain silly.

7he Talon

I wonder how Congress will respond. The U.S. President can't just create a 6th branch of the military without congressional support.

Dev1lXYZ

The militarization of space has been going on behind the scenes for decades. The Navy and Air Force are quite vested in it already. What We see happening now is what happened when the Army Air Corps became the US Air Force- a consolidated new branch that will officially merge the pieces into a whole.

Does that mean more money into military?

BTW nothing wrong against space marines, wars will eventually happen in space (not matter what leftists believe about - "if USA won't move towards military in space, no other countries will do that either")

vaders-tie-fighter_8bcb92e1.jpeg

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This is a critical need if we become involved in a conflict with a need peer adversary.

Right now the Air Force covers it but it may not be a bad idea to start the framework of how a dedicated branch would function.

rokkerkory

You'd do it with US $s just like anything else. And you've got an army of unemployed. I'd rather them mess around in space than sit at home depressed or on welfare. Hopefully space marines make good money.

Where will that $ come from since we are 1T per year under water now.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I mean ultimately this kind of a military would be necessary in the future. I don't think it's stupid or silly to start laying the foundation for how that branch of the military would exist and what it would be made up of.

It doesn't really ring as a priority right now, but some things aren't really priorities until you need them...and in the instance of a space military, you can't exactly stand one up "when you need it" because it would be too late.

This doesn't really make me feel one way or another, I feel like I know it comes across as stupid or pointless, and maybe he has no real plan on how to implement one or funding to actually start one...but I don't think it's a dumb idea, and I don't think it's something you could really sit on for a long time.

Nows as good a time to start thinking about it as any, but I get why the general public would view this as shitty timing or a sign of shit priorities.

Top Bottom