• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump trying to push through multi-billion dollar arms sale to Saudi Arabia

Oersted

The arms sales contracts are likely to comprise of Lockheed Martin Co program packages with a Terminal Altitude Area Defence (THAAD) missile defence system worth $1bn (£770 million), a C2BMC software system, and a package with satellite capabilities.

Provided by BAE Systems PLC, a Bradley Fighting Vehicle and an M109 artillery vehicle are also under consideration as part of the deal.

In addition, an $11.5bn (£8.86bn) package made up of four multi-mission surface combatant ships, which had been approved by the US state department in 2015 but never made it to final contract, will also be revisited.

If this deal goes through, it will be the first sale of a small surface warship to a foreign power in decades.

Additionally, there will be $1bn (£770 million) worth of munitions, including armour-piercing Penetrator Warheads and Paveway laser-guided bombs. These contracts had been suspended by the Obama administration because of Saudi Arabia’s military campaign in Yemen, which caused the deaths of thousands of civilians.

More here

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-sale-human-rights-yemen-latest-a7721106.html

Lock if old

slider

What a great salesman.

Although, hasn't the KSA been considering / undertaking loads of weird IPOs? If so maybe that speaks to the oil price crash hitting them (or they're finally looking for more diversification).

Edit: If they can conduct further endeavours like their Yemen thing... Fuck.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So a warship, tons of weapons, and the fucking THAAD system?

I thought THAAD was the sort of tech that's not for sale to other countries because it's super advanced stuff.

Saudi Arabia is the worst opressive regime on planet Earth after North Korea

but eh, they gots oilz so lets be friends with Saudi Arabia but not with North Korea.

Western powers should no longer be friends with these oppressive regimes;

RDreamer

Wait, so we can't take their money so we can help people like those with AIDS, but we can take their money in exchange for weapons?

Western powers sell arms to the Saudis in full knowledge of the war crimes they commit, such as right now in Yemen.

Yet they get outraged when other non-western countries do the same, like Russian jets flying in Syria.

Whether a Russian jet bombs a civilian in Syria, or military equipment that funds the Saudi war machine by western powers in exchange for money (in various forms) while in full knowledge what they are using it for in the region is absolutely no different from a moral perspective.

Saudis are also blockading Yemen stopping humanitarian aide and causing famine but no single western power gives a single fuck about it.

The world doesn't give a fuck about human rights, human rights are geo/political cards to be played when appropriate.

To be unfair, whataboutism is a horrible non-argument in the face of human rights abuses.
Ok, here's an even better argument. Saudi Arabia is a critical ally in the middle east and is less bad than the other nation attempting hegemony there. So if they ask for big guns, they'll get them.

More propping up the Saudis in their cold war with Iran.

We're perfectly happy to support theocratic autocracies that support terrorism as long as they are also enemies of our enemies.

Oersted

Ok, here's an even better argument. Saudi Arabia is a critical ally in the middle east and is less bad than the other nation attempting hegemony there. So if they ask for big guns, they'll get them.

That is not an argument. It is a factual statement without source. Provide a source and than make an argument why you should do such a deal with them.

Madness

Sure, why not. They will be used for sectarian conflicts anyway.

Yup. How dare Russia arm Syria and clamp down on Rebels, lemme just turn the blind eye as US made F-15's and European Eurofighter Typhoons rain down bombs on Yemeni civilians and Houthi rebels...

I am honestly laughing when I think of Trump voters and how Donald conned them all. They'll still go to sleep dreaming of their wall to keep out Mexicans while more Goldman Sachs execs are given jobs, $100 million is wasted attacking a Syrian runway, and Trump gets more and more involved with the US military industrial complex. China goes from being labelled a currency manipulator to the great and respected Xi Jinping who will work out a terrific deal. Plus the anti-jewish white nationalists also helped elect the most pro-Jewish and pro-Israeli administration in decades.

The US ultimately doesn't care about the middle east. They have armed their two best allies in the region SA and Israel with more weaponry than many other nations combined. They don't care what their allies do. They only care what their enemies do.

It's doesn't affect the morality of the situation but since the headline writer went out if their way to mention the value, it's worth noting that a billion dollars is basically nothing is military acquisition terms.

Oersted

It's doesn't affect the morality of the situation but since the headline writer went out if their way to mention the value, it's worth noting that a billion dollars is basically nothing is military acquisition terms.

Its not a billion dollars, its a over 10 billion dollars. But thanks.

Kusagari

One of the most frequent talking points from Trumpkins was how unlike the standard politician from both sides of the spectrum, Trump would finally stand up to Saudi Arabia.

Good to see ol' Donnie not even being able to break that bar.

Oersted

Approved before Trump though.

Only a billion of it is Trump's. The rest is Obama's.

Foxnews, is that you?

In addition, an $11.5bn (£8.86bn) package made up of four multi-mission surface combatant ships, which had been approved by the US state department in 2015 but never made it to final contract, will also be revisited.

These contracts had been suspended by the Obama administration because of Saudi Arabia’s military campaign in Yemen, which caused the deaths of thousands of civilians.

Saudi Arabia is also investing 40 Billion into US infrastructure: http://thehill.com/policy/internati...333017-saudi-arabia-plans-to-invest-40b-in-us

Add to the Saudi SoftBank 100 Billion into us tech companies and start ups and also Saudis now owning the US/NA's largest refinery:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/01/inv...s-largest-oil-refinery-port-arthur/index.html

makes the US and Saudi basically engraved with on another...

Also this deal was in the works before Trump was in office, rather now it is being finalized.

Foxnews, is that you?

regardless of whataboutism

arms deals with the Saudis have occurred with Obama

sure he "limited" some but still basically sold $115 billion worth of arms to the Saudis

Including the F-15SA

Rather with trump the advanced missile ban will be lifted due to the new cold war with Iran.

They already sold THAAD too UAE as well.

dopplr

People here think in black and white - either someone is good or horrible. No long-term thinking at all. This is good for regional stability, this is good for the U.S. in multiple ways.

Oersted

Saudi Arabia is also investing 40 Billion into US infrastructure: http://thehill.com/policy/internati...333017-saudi-arabia-plans-to-invest-40b-in-us

Add to the Saudi SoftBank 100 Billion into us tech companies and start ups and also Saudis now owning the US/NA's largest refinery:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/01/inv...s-largest-oil-refinery-port-arthur/index.html

makes the US and Saudi basically engraved with on another...

Also this deal was in the works before Trump was in office, rather now it is being finalized.

Yes, it was put on hold due to the crimes against humanity
People here think in black and white - either someone is good or horrible. No long-term thinking at all. This is good for regional stability, this is good for the U.S. in multiple ways.

Graveyards are such a stability factor

dopplr

"The war economy".

Less about a war economy and more about having this region being self reliant. S.A. leads the region and has the support of many other smaller Gulf states - why keep the decades long strategy of paying for others to defend the ME when we can find a solution that allows this region to police itself.

Less about a war economy and more about having this region being self reliant. S.A. leads the region and has the support of many other smaller Gulf states - why keep the decades long strategy of paying for others to defend the ME when we can find a solution that allows this region to police itself.

They're all extremist assholes. They don't need the West's help killing each other. But this push for arms WILL directly affect the Yemeni conflict, along with whatever Syria fuckery. Not exactly a good show.

dopplr

They're all extremist assholes. They don't need the West's help killing each other. But this push for arms WILL directly affect the Yemeni conflict, along with whatever Syria fuckery. Not exactly a good show.

Hey fuck off with your racist bullshit. S.A. is involved in Yemen due to actual extremists who try to enter via their border. They've had multiple incidents, and many threats to their safety.

A few years ago we had a terrorist attack in Kuwait that tried to create a rift between the Shia and Sunni population. Do you know what happened afterwards? Complete cooperation and stronger integration of both sects. We had Shia praying with Sunni and Sunni praying with Shia. The people acknowledged this act was part of the terrorists plan to create fear and hatred - it did the complete opposite. So fuck off with calling everyone an extremist asshole.

Hey fuck off with your racist bullshit. S.A. is involved in Yemen due to actual extremists who try to enter via their border. They've had multiple incidents, and many threats to their safety.

A few years ago we had a terrorist attack in Kuwait that tried to create a rift between the Shia and Sunni population. Do you know what happened afterwards? Complete cooperation and stronger integration of both sects. We had Shia praying with Sunni and Sunni praying with Shia. The people acknowledged this act was part of the terrorists plan to create fear and hatred - it did the complete opposite. So fuck off with calling everyone an extremist asshole.

If I offended you, I apologize. I am aware of the blind eye of the West. I'm talking about the powers that be, Not the general populations. No government's a fucking angel, and there's been bad blood that's been fermenting for a long time. The chaos of the Arab Spring aftermath sure as hell didn't help stability. I'm saying the West has done enough. As a born South American I know what American meddling can entail.

Yes, it was put on hold due to the crimes against humanity

Graveyards are such a stability factor

I told you some things like the missile defense system, etc.. was put on hold...

While F-15SA, helis, ammo, etc... was not

This current package is the missile defense system (which was on hold) and Navy equipment and ships.

I believe you are confusing this with the types of munition freeze that the Obama admin did.

If I offended you, I apologize. I am aware of the blind eye of the West. I'm talking about the powers that be, Not the general populations. No government's a fucking angel, and there's been bad blood that's been fermenting for a long time. The chaos of the Arab Spring aftermath sure as hell didn't help stability. I'm saying the West has done enough. As a born South American I know what American meddling can entail.

The war in Yemen is Houthis and former president Saleh vs Hadi goverment and Arab coalition

What came out of it though is the revival of the South Yemen state and a possible road map to independence, accidentally.

Of course this is a over simplification but we might likely see a North and South Yemen again.

dopplr

I'll absolutely agree that western involvement is not needed. That's why I view this as a good thing. Let the region take care of its own issues. S.A. is scene in the same light by Gulf States as the U.S. is by other western countries. They are the only real country in this region with a strong military force. Countries like Kuwait have pitiful military power, as such, when you talk about removing or altering the landscape of S.A. you're talking about altering the landscape/situation of pretty much every other Gulf state in the region. This would be a crisis of incredible magnitude.

Also no worries, there's are some users here with actual extreme views about this region that piss me off as they lack any actual knowledge of the complexities of life here.

As.long as there are homeless vets or homelessness in general in the U.S., this is theft. There's no stopping the military industrial complex.

What's the problem here? That Saudi Arabia shouldn't be doing business with such a corrupt regime that's gleefully destroying the human rights of minorities?

As.long as there are homeless vets or homelessness in general in the U.S., this is theft. There's no stopping the military industrial complex.

Wait I am confused

How is selling anything considered theft?

They are gaining money not losing it... this isn't aid to Saudi Arabia, rather the Saudis buy US equipment at a premium. (some times more then 3X the original price.)

Top Bottom