• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: US 'locked and loaded' on N Korea

yyzjohn

Banned
It's amazing to me that we're in an age where the president of the united states, the most powerful position in the world, can just tweet something like this out at 7:30am while most likely taking a dump at same time.

danowat

Banned
It's amazing to me that we're in an age where the president of the united states, the most powerful position in the world, can just tweet something like this out at 7:30am while most likely taking a dump at same time.

If there was even an example of social media being a big disconnect from real life, this is it.

Shauni

Lets say that NK actually does fire at, or even just near, Guam. Lets say they even hit land. How do you guys feel that US, or world in general, should realistically respond?

I mean, there really is no choice at that point, it would have to be war. Guam is a US territory

UberTag

Can someone PLEASE invoke the 25th amendment so that we don't have to endure this shit any longer? Literally everyone is at risk of war and death due to this dumbass who just can't log off of twitter.

Someone, ANYONE, just take away his phone! Be a hero, save the world!
I'm surprised there isn't a video game with this concept out yet.

Have it play out like those old Spy vs. Spy titles. You play the role of a random White House staffer and you have to find clever ways to hide Donny's phone so he doesn't tweet and 'cause humanity's destruction. You could set up little distractions like hiding it down flights of steps, placing random buckets of KFC and burnt to a crisp steak with ketchup about or TVs that air Fox and Friends repeats.

zelas

While I don't think anything will happen. All bets are off. NK will continue to provoke Trump just to see how he responds.

Also the rest of the world is watching. Trump making these statements is completely irresponsible. Another hostile force could do exactly what NK is doing and maybe success knowing Trump is all talk.
Irresponsible, yes. But that doesn't mean nuclear war is on the horizon. Trump has been in office long enough to establish a pattern of shit talking that is either checked by himself or those in his administration in cases where the establishment really doesn't want to do something. With North Korea in particular he has been talking this war shit for years, if he were serious or allowed to follow through he would have acted on day one already.

When Tillerson and Mattis stops making statements that are the exact opposite of Trump's, then we can consider this rhetoric as a sign to head to the nearest bunker.

yyzjohn

Banned
Are we overreacting to all of this? Is it just bluster and nothing will come of it? I seem to be the only person in my office that seems to care about this situation. The general attitude I get from people at work is this is no big deal, nothing will happen.

Lorcain

I already heard a pro-Trump commentator on CNN this morning complain that the media is taking this quote out of context, and that he doesn't actually mean locked and loaded and ready for war.

I just have to shake my head and wonder 1) how stupid do they think the rest of us are and 2) do they believe their own spin?

daxy

Are we overreacting to all of this? Is it just bluster and nothing will come of it? I seem to be the only person in my office that seems to care about this situation. The general attitude I get from people at work is this is no big deal, nothing will happen.

I think that, much like Trump himself, people generally don't fully appreciate the power of words and speech acts.

shem935

Banned

I mean there are two scenarios here. First is its not bluster and you should be concerned. Second is that it is bluster and trump is actively degrading the role of president to internet troll twitter user pretending to conduct nuclear brinkmanship over twitter. The second one hurts our world standing a lot, especially with out allies.

Could have swore I made a post that got deleted.

Mods?

Could have been some kind of lag, I've had that happen.

danowat

Banned

I would imagine that fact that it's being played out primarily on social media, it makes it seem a bit less real.

Slaythe

"he tweeted"

Entire world's reaction :

gMr3Rva.gif

I expect some selfless soldier to sacrifice himself and shoot this asshole in the head at this point.

Dr.Acula

Banned

I dunno how great I feel living in a world where the word of the POTUS is empty and non-consequential. If Obama or Bush was saying this stuff people would react as if the US were gearing for war, because the Office of the President holds power. Now, because Trump is in office we're supposed to believe, after hundreds of years, that it doesn't, and the will of the president should just be ignored? Does no one else find that somewhat concerning?

Engell

I expect some selfless soldier to sacrifice himself and shoot this asshole in the head at this point.

I have been saying this to my friends lately.. They must have crazy guard rotation, i cannot imagine anyone lasting long near the Trump without getting feed up with his shit.

I mean there are two scenarios here. First is its not bluster and you should be concerned. Second is that it is bluster and trump is actively degrading the role of president to internet troll twitter user pretending to conduct nuclear brinkmanship over twitter. The second one hurts our world standing a lot, especially with out allies.

Could have been some kind of lag, I've had that happen.

Unlikely the post I replied to and quoted is also gone.

Pbae

"he tweeted"

Entire world's reaction :

gMr3Rva.gif

It's not just him. The entire GOP has the ability to do something but would rather twiddle their thumbs in the hopes of passing tax cuts.

The entire establishment is playing with the lives of millions just so a select few can save what amount to a drop in the bucket.

yyzjohn

Banned
I dunno how great I feel living in a world where the word of the POTUS is empty and non-consequential. If Obama or Bush was saying this stuff people would react as if the US were gearing for war, because the Office of the President holds power. Now, because Trump is in office we're supposed to believe, after hundreds of years, that it doesn't, and the will of the president should just be ignored? Does no one else find that somewhat concerning?

I hear what you're saying. The more crap he tweets to prove how powerful he is, the less people take him seriously. His tweets are being viewed in the same vein as some dictator who endlessly tells people how powerful he is. Dare I say that Trump's rhetoric is about as bad as Un constantly praising NK's nuclear abilities.

Lombax

Banned

I very much wonder if there is anyone in the administration that is taking the time to tell him that you are scaring the fuck out of people.

DavidDesu

Is it weird I expect some crazy drama like something out of 24 to happen.

North Korea threatens to nuke S Korea or Japan UNLESS Trump gets delivered by the US military to face the death sentence in N Korea. Imagine that. Trump says no, but enough defectors in the military go fuck it and do it. Hahaha.

It is all just bluster.
Really don't see anything happening but more war of words between the two man babies before eventual calming down.

This is a good read from Politico

Our president is 12. a declaration of war via tweet is now a real and possible thing. what is life?

A declaration of war via Twitter would be meaningless and would just cause chaos at the Pentagon.

Much like the trans military ban, just announcing something on Twitter doesn't make it official policy. There's an actual process to this, planning, strategy, stuff like that.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I wish we could bring back man-to-man combat as a means to settle political disputes. If it was good enough for Canute and Edward Ironsides, it's good enough for Trump and Kim. I'll donate the swords myself.

Sunster

everyone saying people are overreacting must be jaded by all the fuckery this year. THIS IS NOT NORMAL.

A declaration of war via Twitter would be meaningless and would just cause chaos at the Pentagon.

Much like the trans military ban, just announcing something on Twitter doesn't make it official policy. There's an actual process to this, planning, strategy, stuff like that.

I know this. But if it did happen we would have a president who declared war via twitter. whether war happened or not we'd be fucked.

Chris1

Kinda surprised people are so calm here

You literally have two maniacs taunting each other over nukes and war, if this keeps up I just don't see how it's not gonna have a bad ending

SilentRob

At least the US populace clearly Show that they dont want war and this lunatic doesnt represent them by staging country-wide Prote- oh wait.

You literally have two maniacs taunting each other over nukes and war, if this keeps up I just don't see how it's not gonna have a bad ending

I don't think there's a big risk of anything actually happening, so we don't need to panic really. But it's fucking sad and disgusting seeing the president basically saying "oh I dare you to nuke these innocent people - see what happens!"

Mendrox

Chill. There is really no reason to worry. There are things in place and all.

jelly

If you lived a cushy lifestyle would you give it up by going to war with the US that would likely end up with you being dead, of course you wouldn't.

Top Bottom