• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: US 'locked and loaded' on N Korea

Meadows

Banned
I might stop reading OT whenever stuff like this happens to be honest. I'm not sure what benefit there is to reading a load of posts saying "We're fucked" and "OMG, it's gonna be Fallout 5".

Trump isn't insane. He's an idiot, bombastic and uses public channels for his communication, but if you actually look at what he's said, he has gone from "we will reign fire and fury down on NK if they continue to threaten us" which could be regarded as simply them posting threats on KCNA to "we are ready to react if Kim acts unwisely...hopefully he will find another path".

If you remove yourself from the childish hysteria you'll see that he's wound his rhetoric back to being essentially that if NK attack Guam, they will be destroyed, which is obviously the US' policy in general and has been since WWII.

Some people in these threads need to act like fucking adults. Stop posting inflammatory things that make people who aren't aware of the situation nervous. This is about the 100th time we've seen essentially this same thing happen with North Korea in the past couple of decades, they always do it in August and then wind it back eventually. That's why people in South Korea are carrying on their lives as normal while a load of keyboard warriors on here debate how imminent our nuclear winter is.

Edit: this isn't a defence of Trump by the way, I dislike him intensely

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
this is some asinine shit right here.

war? why not. right on time to boost the economy and his numbers.

i have too many words and not enough time to write about this. i want to believe no milles will fly, but honestly theres a lot of stuff that i was convinced would not happen over the past 1-2 years, and i was always wrong. so who the fck knows now

"locked and loaded"

you could say they are "tip to tip" right now

Sephzilla

"he tweeted"

Entire world's reaction :

gMr3Rva.gif

I expect some selfless soldier to sacrifice himself and shoot this asshole in the head at this point.

Jaime_Lannister-Nikolaj_Coster-Waldau.jpg

I might stop reading OT whenever stuff like this happens to be honest. I'm not sure what benefit there is to reading a load of posts saying "We're fucked" and "OMG, it's gonna be Fallout 5".

Trump isn't insane. He's an idiot, bombastic and uses public channels for his communication, but if you actually look at what he's said, he has gone from "we will reign fire and fury down on NK if they continue to threaten us" which could be regarded as simply them posting threats on KCNA to "we are ready to react if Kim acts unwisely...hopefully he will find another path".

If you remove yourself from the childish hysteria you'll see that he's wound his rhetoric back to being essentially that if NK attack Guam, they will be destroyed, which is obviously the US' policy in general and has been since WWII.

Some people in these threads need to act like fucking adults. Stop posting inflammatory things that make people who aren't aware of the situation nervous. This is about the 100th time we've seen essentially this same thing happen with North Korea in the past couple of decades, they always do it in August and then wind it back eventually. That's why people in South Korea are carrying on their lives as normal while a load of keyboard warriors on here debate how imminent our nuclear winter is.

I agree

sturmdogg

I just hope George Martin tells us who gets to sit on the Iron Throne and if Brienne and Tormund get together before nuclear armaggedon.

Oh, and Dany and Jon as well.

I think trump likes this. Its something exciting, easy for him to understand, and he believes he'll get good approval ratings if it goes well.
Remember: he's bored and hates his position, because it's much harder than he thought it would be.

RuGalz

Are we overreacting to all of this? Is it just bluster and nothing will come of it? I seem to be the only person in my office that seems to care about this situation. The general attitude I get from people at work is this is no big deal, nothing will happen.

Eh, I think American people generally are not as in touch with the horrific reality that comes with war. The only war happened on the mainland US were internal causes. It's easier to forget about it when you are just on the sideline reading about it.

I appreciate your call for calm but if you don't think Trump is mentally ill, you haven't been paying attention.

moggio

Banned
Please find a good book about NK and read it.

Concentration camps, slavory, famine, thousands upon thousands of political prisoners, totalarian communist state..... I could go on and on.

Not that different from the US prison system really.

danowat

Banned
This is about the 100th time we've seen essentially this same thing happen with North Korea in the past couple of decades

It's not though is it, there are some stark differences.

Firstly, the rhetoric that Trump is peddling hasn't been seen for quite some time, that combined with the way he's delivering it, and the fact that the administration don't seem to all be singing from the same sheet is quite different, you've got military leaders saying they are looking for a diplomatic solution while Trump is basically saying 'come and have a go if you think you're hard enough' on Twitter..

Then you've also got figure in just how much NK want the data from firing a long range missile, which would just happen to travel over Japan, and towards Guam means that this is a very different proposition.

MikeyB

Thrash metal gonna make a comeback!

Praise your architecture of aggression
Ensuing power vacuum
A toppled leader dies
His body fuels the power fire
And the flames rise to the sky
One side of his face a kiss
The other genocide
Time to pay with your ass
A worldwide suicide

-Megadeth

Downhome

So if North Korea actually goes and hits something, we can all blame Donald 100%.

Eventually, one day, NK is going to hit something regardless of Trump or this president or that president or whoever. It's going to happen one day. Maybe not a nuke, but something bad. This entire situation should have been resolved decades ago in the first place. I'm certainly not defending whatever right now, but lets be realistic here. People have been saying for years that we need to do something before they obtain nuclear weapons and the world just sat around twiddling their thumbs and now here we are.

The only way the entire NK deal has a happy ending is if their people and government has enough and turns on the leaders and it is resolved from within. I don't think we will ever see that happen. That life is too much a part of their society, their blood, completely wrapped up in it by this point. This is a thing that has gone on for generations. We can't wait for this more positive ending to happen while it's far more likely NK does something truly awful to the outside world in the meantime.

shiyrley

Banned
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me...

Donald J. trump
Yeah, about that (wait until 10 seconds in)

Cake Boss

Banned
Yeah we seen this act before from North Korea sure, but we haven't seen before is a narcissist mentally unstable president replying to their rhetoric with more threats and dares. That we haven't seen before.

We also haven't seen North Korea with this ability of nuclear technology before, even the Pentagon is saying that they are years ahead of what they thought they would be.

So no this time isn't like the past times and its more unpredictable as before because of loose cannon leaders at the helm.

zelas

Are we overreacting to all of this? Is it just bluster and nothing will come of it? I seem to be the only person in my office that seems to care about this situation. The general attitude I get from people at work is this is no big deal, nothing will happen.

Seoul Isn't Worried (Even If You Are)

Kim Jong Un is trying hard to frighten two places in particular, and he's not fazing either one

South Koreans Seemingly Unconcerned As Trump Threatens North Korea

+

North Korea-US tensions: How worried should you be?
3. We have been here before

As former US Assistant Secretary of State PJ Crowley points out, the US and North Korea came close to armed conflict in 1994, when Pyongyang refused to allow international inspectors into its nuclear facilities. Diplomacy won out.
Over the years, North Korea has regularly made incendiary threats against the US, Japan and South Korea, several times threatening to turn Seoul into a "sea of fire".
And Mr Trump's rhetoric - in content, if not style - is also not exactly unprecedented from a US president.

"In many different forms, albeit not as colourful, the US has always said that if North Korea ever attacks, the regime will cease to exist," Mr Crowley writes.

Still, South Korea - the US ally with the most to lose from a confrontation with the North - does not appear to be too concerned.

A senior official from the presidential Blue House told reporters on 9 August that the situation had not reached a crisis level, and that it was highly likely it could be resolved peacefully.

+

Trump’s Threat of War With North Korea May Sound Scarier Than It Is
Words matter in international relations, but actions matter far more.

Current American action, or lack thereof, sends a message of calm and caution, rather than “fire and fury.”

States have a hard time reading one another’s internal politics, so they tend to rely heavily on reading one another’s actions for clues as to their intentions. And American action toward North Korea remains unchanged. American troops in nearby Guam and Japan are still in their barracks. Naval warships are holding a respectful distance.

These are the sorts of signals, not a leader’s offhand comments, that matter most in international relations. Washington is sending a clear, consistent message to Pyongyang that the United States still wants to avoid escalation.
States tend to ignore unclear, isolated signals like Mr. Trump’s.

Some analysts worry that Mr. Trump could inject more uncertainty into an already tense situation.

The president’s most bellicose statements appear to contradict his own administration’s more measured lines on North Korea. But studies on foreign policy messaging suggest that Pyongyang will hear Mr. Trump’s threats as empty.

States, according to research by Robert Jervis, a Columbia University political scientist, are biased toward assuming other states’ behavior will remain consistent. Overcoming that bias and forcing a state like North Korea to change its assessment of American intentions would require more than a few words.

States also tend to disregard any signal they perceive as unclear or ambiguous. If Americans can’t agree on what Mr. Trump meant, you can bet the analysts in Pyongyang are no more certain.

TL:DR - Rhetoric is nothing more than rhetoric, save the fear mongering for when actions are actually made. Nobody has even bothered to move to strategic positions or deploy troops.

danowat

Banned
Yeah we seen this act before from North Korea sure, but we haven't seen before is a narcissist mentally unstable president replying to their rhetoric with more threats and dares. That we haven't seen before.

I don't know, Nixon and Reagan had 'form'!

I would but I still haven't read the latest issue of Viz so I'm a bit snowed under.
Thats fine whenever you have the time it's only 14$ on Amazon though it's on sale on Google Books for tablet and Phone for 10$ ATM on sale funny enough. Very enjoyable read about how North Korea works past the fat man himself.

Future

Eventually, one day, NK is going to hit something regardless of Trump or this president or that president or whoever. It's going to happen one day. Maybe not a nuke, but something bad. This entire situation should have been resolved decades ago in the first place. I'm certainly not defending whatever right now, but lets be realistic here. People have been saying for years that we need to do something before they obtain nuclear weapons and the world just sat around twiddling their thumbs and now here we are.

The only way the entire NK deal has a happy ending is if their people and government has enough and turns on the leaders and it is resolved from within. I don't think we will ever see that happen. That life is too much a part of their society, their blood, completely wrapped up in it by this point. This is a thing that has gone on for generations. We can't wait for this more positive ending to happen while it's far more likely NK does something truly awful to the outside world in the meantime.

If anyone tried to do anything about North Korea before this then they'd be labeled a war monger, GAF would have rioted the streets, America pushing its ideals forward and meddling again, etc

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It really must be a weird feeling to live in SK. An entire generation has grown up with a gun pointed at them, with its wielder spewing shit non-stop. I guess after a while you just learn to ignore it because NK has never actually followed through on their threats.

Besides, what else can you do? Can't panic every time NK threatens destruction, because otherwise you'd never be able to do anything else.

Downhome

If anyone tried to do anything about North Korea before this then they'd be labeled a war monger, GAF would have rioted the streets, America pushing its ideals forward and meddling again, etc

Oh I know, it's all true.

We will regret it one day. The people of NK itself will regret it one day, that no one did anything long before to help.

kevin1025

Banned
I don't know if threatening to send missiles to Guam is rational. Again though we know they just want regime preservation but this is still a lot by them.

Sure, you're right. But their messages, while going through a lot of hands before public, have a measuredness to them that Trump's do not. His messages are just sloppy, ill-advised and without any critical thinking. His are unbelievably dangerous and should never come from the office of the White House... or the golf course substitute.

Top Bottom