• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Used Charity Funds to Settle Legal Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Donald Trump spent $258,000 from his charitable foundation to settle lawsuits that involved the billionaire’s for-profit businesses, the Washington Post reported Tuesday morning.

In one case, Trump faced $120,000 in unpaid fines for a dispute over the size of a flagpole at his Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach, Florida. As part of the settlement, Palm Beach agreed to waive the fines if Trump donated $100,000 to a specific veterans charity. As the Post revealed, he sent a check from the Donald J. Trump Foundation, his charitable organization funded almost entirely by outside contributions.

In another case, Trump settled a lawsuit by donating $158,000 to a charity of the plaintiff’s choosing; and, again, he cut a check from his charitable foundation. According to the Post, such use of his charity’s funds may have violated laws against “self-dealing”—a term to describe a nonprofit leader’s use of charity money to benefit themselves.
via http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats...d-charity-funds-to-settle-legal-problems.html

Update: Trump campaign issued a response

Cs2Com-WAAAkcub.jpg

Log4Girlz

He still gonna build that wall right? I mean, you can find a dead body buried a the back of Mar-a-lago with a handwritten note from him confessing to murder and I will ignore that in a heart beat if he builds that wall. I mean, how many people has Hillary killed?

/s :p

Can you imagine if the Clinton's had gotten fined and had funds from their charitable foundation used to solve their problem?

The double standards are out of this world.

giga

Self dealing is pretty much stealing from a charity. But of course his supporters will spin this as him making a good deal with his enemies.

Isn't this fraud? And therefore shouldn't he be tried for this, with possible prison sentence?

That only applies to low/mid income people. For rich people it's a loop hole! Trump is going to close all the loopholes by building yuuuuge wall that racially profiles Muslims entering so that the police have the tools they need to do all the raping. It's absolutely disgusting what Hillary is doing!

Well I for one am glad that the media has spend so much time going after the The Clinton Foundation. Despite the fact the Clinton Foundation is an A rated charity who books are open to the public and has helped millions of people around the world.

I'd so fucking glad a certain segment of "progressives" are so concerned about Hillary's "optics" that shit like this will now just be more static in the news.

This is the most infuriating thing. The news media is far more concerned with projecting a close horse race than calling out illegal shit by one of the candidates in that race.

The fact that late night tv host (not Fallen) get more work done than the actual news media tells you all you need to know..

Clefargle

Can you imagine if the Clinton's had gotten fined and had funds from their charitable foundation used to solve their problem?

The double standards are out of this world.

It would literally end her campaign. All the news coverage would be about it nonstop until November. Every debate would be full of questions about it to the exclusion of everything else. She would be badgered online and blasted in each and every interview for a month.

But Trump? The expectation game is so low for him that nobody cares. Everyone just goes, "sure, I could believe that" and moves on. It's so infuriating.

Only because the FBI gave Hilary a tap on the wrist, Donald will get a pass. Also, Hilary would probably have people on the fringes connected to her to bring noise to this, but she won't bring it up at all.

This seems very illegal to me. If Red Cross did this wouldn't they be facing some sort of charges?

Only because the FBI gave Hilary a tap on the wrist, Donald will get a pass. Also, Hilary would probably have people on the fringes connected to her to bring noise to this, but she won't bring it up at all.

FBI screwed Hillary in more than one way. Not only they made a much bigger deal out of this, that press conference was built so it would seem like they are barely not pressing charges (even though later the director acknowledged that this was not even close)

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Well I for one am glad that the media has spend so much time going after the The Clinton Foundation. Despite the fact the Clinton Foundation is an A rated charity who books are open to the public and has helped millions of people around the world.

I'd so fucking glad a certain segment of "progressives" are so concerned about Hillary's "optics" that shit like this will now just be more static in the news.

bu-but Matt Taibbi says we dont care

You know what? We may all be wrong about his wall. He made a lot of dummies pay money to his charity to pay for legal woes and build his fake charitable brand--Mexico might just be paying for his wall.

LiK

can people just charge him with something? it's like he's immune to all the illegal shit he does.

I just... how is it even possible that information like this continues to be ignored? Is there just so much of it that people tune it out?

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I just... how is it even possible that information like this continues to be ignored? Is there just so much of it that people tune it out?

there is never any follow up or follow through on Trump "investigations".

but Clinton's health, oh man, did you see how sick she was.

El Topo

He just keeps churning out new scandals to make us forget about the old ones. I've already forgotten half of the despicable shit he's said over the past year. There's only so much space in my brain for Trump's shit.

This dimwit is a synonym for corruption. How disturbing that some people want to condemn America to at least 4 years of his amoral pillaging. To vote for Trump is to elevate this extortionist and his fellow thieves into a position where they could hurt all our families; he'd steal from the country as he has stolen from so many in his career. Buying off AGs, his scam university, his gallery of unpaid employees -- there's just so much evidence that Donald Trump is a failure who can only make money by abusing honest people. He takes the best of this country and turns it rotten.

Truly, there's not a lot going on in the conspiracy theorist's head besides feeding his bottomless insecurity through stunts like this. The remedial Oompa Loompa has zero respect for this country and its people.

Just think what type of person would attach himself to someone like this? There are probably many interesting things to be learned by further investigating his inner circle.

Maybe Congress could go ahead and start impeachment proceedings just in case things go wrong in November.

Edit: Gracious, these are the words someone would say on Fox News about D candidates. I feel dirty somehow.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
What an odd decision by the courts.

why does this sound familiar...

Donald Trump paid the IRS a $2,500 penalty this year, an official at Trump's company said, after it was revealed that Trump's charitable foundation had violated tax laws by giving a political contribution to a campaign group connected to Florida's attorney general.

The improper donation, a $25,000 gift from the Donald J. Trump Foundation, was made in 2013. At the time, Attorney General Pam Bondi was considering whether to investigate fraud allegations against Trump University. She decided not to pursue the case.

This is both intensely illegal and intensely unethical.

I am not confident it will stick to Teflon Donnie.

The polarization of America extends to both chosen media sources and trust in those media sources. Some people will never hear this news because of the media they choose to imbibe. Others may hear it and instantly dismiss it because the source is, to them, biased.

Caja 117

And I cant be mean to his Supporters....

Anyone that support this Virus rightfully deserve every negative perception there is on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom