• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump wants health insurance for everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump's definition of health insurance probably means a garbo plan with a $10,000+ deductible, with 70/30 coinsurance after and no out of pocket maximum. Plus laughably low limits on damages from malpractice that the GOP wants so badly. "Shitty doctor paralyzes you from the waist down during a routine back surgery? Here's $40k for your trouble. Have fun being crippled for the rest of your life!".

If his plan is anything similar to what his HHS secretary has already proposed it will be an absolute disaster that will make health insurance even worse than it was prior to Obamacare. It will cause the majority of Americans (and their families) who have decent insurance through their employer to ether see a premium increase of 400% or more likely simply outright lose their benefits.

I hate to say it, but perhaps these kind of horrendous result is the only way for Dems to get back in power. People will only do things until it directly affects them.

sangreal

Getting rid of group insurance all together would likely be better.

Employer-sponsored health insurance is a stupid idea and the biggest obstacle for any reform. I think that is more important than group versus individual. Employer-subsidized individual policies would be just as bad

Democrats really need to get ahead of the curve here and make it known that it's all the Republican's fault when they inevitably fail to deliver a suitable replacement for the ACA.

BajiBoxer

Banned
So let's hear it then. What, specifically, is terrible about Rand Paul's proposal? So far I've seen 3 people in this thread say it's terrible, at least one of them admitting that they feel it's not even necessary to know what it says to reach that conclusion. Not very compelling arguments being put forth, wouldn't you agree?

It may very well be terrible, but if you're just going to thread-shit while having no substantive contribution, then yea...

Paul's plan would elimitate the pre-existing coverage requirements, no individual mandates (naturally), shift the burden of paying for insurance away from employers, allow insurance to be purchased across state lines, and focus heavily on health savings accounts. And it will bring back the cheap, practically worthless, plans that didn't meet minimum requirements under the ACA.

Basically the main effect is to increase profits for insurers, decrease costs for businesses, increase costs for individuals, while people with existing conditions will die or go bankrupt.

Gallbaro

Banned
Employer-sponsored health insurance is a stupid idea and the biggest obstacle for any reform. I think that is more important than group versus individual. Employer-subsidized individual policies would be just as bad

Its what I meant. Having all citizens exposed to pricing would actually create downward pressure on pricing, drug, doctors, excess care. Or the exposure to pricing creates a political pressure on national healthcare. Either is better than what we got.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I need it, so you better give me health insurance.

I didn't quality for Obamacare...

You can't not qualify for Obamacare. You can not qualify for subsidies to insurance purchased under the exchanges. You can not qualify for the Medicaid expansion if your state took it. But you can't not qualify for the ACA; a major component of it was banning plans from not covering people with pre-existing conditions and lifetime caps. No one, no matter how poor their health, can not qualify.

ezrarh

Its what I meant. Having all citizens exposed to pricing would actually create downward pressure on pricing, drug, doctors, excess care. Or the exposure to pricing creates a political pressure on national healthcare. Either is better than what we got.

Yeah - unfortunately we have to rip the band-aid off a little (or a lot depending on how you look at it) to get actual change. Hiding the true cost of health insurance through employers has fucked us up.

Ponn

Banned
You can't not qualify for Obamacare. You can not qualify for subsidies to insurance purchased under the exchanges. You can not qualify for the Medicaid expansion if your state took it. But you can't not qualify for the ACA; a major component of it was banning plans from not covering people with pre-existing conditions and lifetime caps. No one, no matter how poor their health, can not qualify.

They were talking about Obamacare not ACA.

Now that CPP has tons of responses to the question he was asking I wonder if he will be back?

BajiBoxer

Banned
So it was just a complete coincidence that as soon as the competition disappared and there was only one choice remaining, all of the price increases and lack of coverage just magically happened at exactly the same time completely independently?

Why do you keep making shit up?

People hate Obamacare because it has Obama's name in it and because people think the program is about taking money from their pockets to give to people who are illegal immigrants or on food stamps and welfare not working.

There are plenty of issues that need to be fixed like the impact on small businesses, doctors not taking insurances they used to, adults up to 26 staying on their parents plan instead of helping to pay into a company's health care plan to subsides the workers over 50, businesses reacting to changes by making everyone part time.

These aren't easy problems to fix. Unless the government is willing to completely pay a fixed rate.

They also need to go after hospitals and doctors using pricing models that aren't fair to consumers and insurance providers.

This as well for the bolded.

Nydius

E: Sorry, misread. It's late and there's a lot of "nots" and "can'ts" in there.

Republicans are going to scrap Obamacare, and pass the exact same fucking thing and call it American Patriotic Flag Lapel Pin Health Care or some other bullshit and all their fat idiot diseased fucks who wanted to repeal Obamacare will love it.

Hugstable

Banned
Republicans are going to scrap Obamacare, and pass the exact same fucking thing and call it American Patriotic Flag Lapel Pin Health Care or some other bullshit and all their fat idiot diseased fucks who wanted to repeal Obamacare will love it.

Knowing Trump he will just call it Trumpcare, dude seems to be in love with his name anyway

BajiBoxer

Banned

I wish, but no, they aren't decent enough or smart enough to do this.

Balphon

Trump takes strong stances on both sides of an issue, has no plan to implement either. News at 11.

Lifting the Part D drug negotiation ban is at least a good idea but the even the value of that is inherently speculative.

Tell that to all the people whose premiums have shot through the roof while their coverage simultaneously tanked. Can't explain that!

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

Tell that to all the people whose premiums have shot through the roof while their coverage simultaneously tanked. Can't explain that!
But healthcare premiums always rose every year. Always. Look it up. But we stopped noticing the costs because our wages also increased every year, thereby offsetting additional costs. The reason why they are so expensive now is because our wages stopped growing in the 00's. It's only in the past 2 years that wages have been slowly rising, but unfortunately too little to offset the crazy premium costs.

I'll believe it when I see it.

These are the kinds of people we are dealing with:

Anything is in play, and the most dangerous part is that Republicans know this and are more than willing to trample on these fools for their own gain.
The governments of yore.

But isn't non-insurance pricing in the US healthcare industry an incomprehensible clusterfuck? I keep hearing stories about how it's next to impossible to get a firm price for anything major before you go through with it, and then there's often dealing with different companies charging for different parts of the procedure. Getting this under control so you could actually get somewhat educated consumer and something resembling a competitive market would take comprehensive regulation, which the GOP will never go for.

Not to mention you can't really assume that the average person is capable of taking an educated, rational choice about which treatment is most cost-effective for them. The most prominent voices will be commercials and salesmen who would preferably overtreat them and the patient themselves usually don't want to take any chances and go for they perceive as "the best". There's also the ones who are really sick, they don't have the capacity to go on an extended search for the "right" establishment, they'll just go to what easiest and fastest.

While I appreciate Trump's open call for collective bargaining, which I do approve of, talk is cheap. Until he can provide a detailed plan and legislation to actually accomplish it, I'll remain skeptical.

Gallbaro

Banned
But isn't non-insurance pricing in the US healthcare industry an incomprehensible clusterfuck? I keep hearing stories about how it's next to impossible to get a firm price for anything major before you go through with it, and then there's often dealing with different companies charging for different parts of the procedure. Getting this under control so you could actually get somewhat educated consumer and something resembling a competitive market would take comprehensive regulation, which the GOP will never go for.

Not to mention you can't really assume that the average person is capable of taking an educated, rational choice about which treatment is most cost-effective for them. The most prominent voices will be commercials and salesmen who would preferably overtreat them and the patient themselves usually don't want to take any chances and go for they perceive as "the best". There's also the ones who are really sick, they don't have the capacity to go on an extended search for the "right" establishment, they'll just go to what easiest and fastest.

You are right, it is a clusterfuck but I am not advocating for price shopping ER service. I advocate for removing health care insurance from employment. Normalize the market to a national model or an individual insurance model.

NimbusD

Like obama said, if someone can do it better, good.

Pretending that anyones given even a sliver of a better plan who's in a position to introduce it, is a fucking lie.

geomon

Health insurance for everyone. Well gee, that was fucking Obamacare. You know the thing you hate?

Don't fool yourselves. This is the same "Healthcare Access" to everyone thing, which is essentially Healthcare...if you can afford it.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Still think they are going gut Medicare and turn it into a shitty voucher system and then give it to everyone and that will be their "solution".

FLEABttn

Banned
I keep hearing stories about how it's next to impossible to get a firm price for anything major before you go through with it

lol, "major". I recently had to go outside my insurance because reasons involving why I don't like HMOs. A large provider in my area, who I ultimately had to use, can't tell you what the non-insurance prices are for anything. Cash price on a checkup? Nobody knows. Cash price on physical therapy? Nobody knows. Billing called me to discuss and even they had no idea. They required you to pay what they charge insurance companies, then two months later you'd get a refund check to bring you down to the cash price after it ran through their system.

Apathy

Health insurance for everyone. Well gee, that was fucking Obamacare. You know the thing you hate?

Don't fool yourselves. This is the same "Healthcare Access" to everyone thing, which is essentially Healthcare...if you can afford it.

He could literally, on live TV, take an obamacare folder, scratch off Obama, put on trump show it, and his followers would cheer at the amazing thing he made

ezekial45

Banned
Did any GOP politician or right wing news source explicitly tell people that ACA and Obamacare are different things? Or is this just a weird assumption that some dumbass voters made?

No they didn't, they just never say they're the same thing as they now the GOP's base hates Obama. By and large, ACA is mostly referred to as 'Obamacare' by the media, politicians, their constituents, etc -- both left and right leaning. By referring it as Obamacare, they've demonized it and made it take on a life of its own, which makes it very easy for the ignorant to believe they're two separate things. You'd be surprised how many people think they're two different things.

Today's Affordable Care Act is very similar to the privatized mandate plan the Republicans pushed for 40 years. President Barack Obama — as a compromise to have basic health reform passed — used this same GOP blueprint with one significant change: adding a public option alongside the GOP’s privatized mandate plan (basically, Obama proposed adding an option to join a form of Medicare).

Eventually the public option was stripped out of the 2010 ACA bill in further compromise to attract bipartisan support for the bill, leaving in its place the very plan that the GOP wanted and pushed for decades.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...replacement-for-obamacare-20170106-story.html

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, wow.... I guess because it was done by Obama is because they hate it

No. They hate the extra taxes, and deep down they don't really want to change it much at all from what was there before, outside of loosening up the few regulations that were there, primarily tort reform.

The thing is, it's very, very hard to argue against people becoming bankrupt by medical bills because of pre-existing conditions, and Obamacare is pretty much their prefered way to do that if they have to.

However there is the third "high risk pool" option, where you just promise people with preexisting condiditions to get access to a special government subsidized plan just for people with preexisting conditions. The beauty of that option is that it would theoretically do the job if it were funded well enough, but they could also just put a few pennies toward it and have an answer to questions about pre existing conditions without ever really doing anything about it.

But they would probably prefer Obamacare over high risk pools if they actually had to worry about funding it properly.

sangreal

Lol, wow.... I guess because it was done by Obama is because they hate it

They don't hate it -- if they did, they would have a replacement plan. They're just cynical and have convinced people to hate it for votes. I mean, Paul Ryan hates it but he hates anything that benefits poor people. Nobody in the GOP believes their own BS about the ACA. Remember the death panels?

Frankly it is a testament to their propaganda prowess. You see the same thing with the economy -- people are convinced the economy is tanking against all evidence. Even people in areas doing exceptionally well. Then Trump comes in and 3 or 4 companies announce a handful of jobs and he has saved the american workforce. Nevermind the sub-5% unemployment rate

Paul's plan would elimitate the pre-existing coverage requirements, no individual mandates (naturally), shift the burden of paying for insurance away from employers, allow insurance to be purchased across state lines, and focus heavily on health savings accounts. And it will bring back the cheap, practically worthless, plans that didn't meet minimum requirements under the ACA.

Basically the main effect is to increase profits for insurers, decrease costs for businesses, increase costs for individuals, while people with existing conditions will die or go bankrupt.

I like the cheap plans. Believe it or not, a lot of people specifically *dont want* insurance because they feel it's an unnecessary cost. That should be a choice they are allowed to make. The cheap plans gives more freedom for people to choose a plan that meets *their* minimum specifications, not the government's.

What exactly is bad about purchasing across state lines? I wish i had another alternative besides covered ca, why are monopolies evil when it comes to everything but insurance?

I like the cheap plans. Believe it or not, a lot of people specifically *dont want* insurance because they feel it's an unnecessary cost. That should be a choice they are allowed to make. The cheap plans gives more freedom for people to choose a plan that meets *their* minimum specifications, not the government's.

What exactly is bad about purchasing across state lines? I wish i had another alternative besides covered ca, why are monopolies evil when it comes to everything but insurance?
Problem with buying across state lines is it becomes a race to the bottom in states with the least regulations to offer the cheapest, shittiest plans. Look at how Delaware has become a tax haven for corporations.

You put everyone on health insurance because you want a big risk pool that includes everyone, young and old, men and women, healthy and sick. If you don't need health insurance then why would anyone buy it until they need it? Premiums would go through the roof for anyone who needs it because no one else is paying into the system.

You put everyone on health insurance because you want a big risk pool that includes everyone, young and old, men and women, healthy and sick. If you don't need health insurance then why would anyone buy it until they need it? Premiums would go through the roof for anyone who needs it because no one else is paying into the system.

And yet despite that massive pool size from ACA, coverage got worse and premiums went up. Sure, it helped the people that had no coverage, but many others got screwed.

If the cheap shit plans end up in a race to the bottom, then people don't buy them, that's the nice thing about having a choice. The cost/quality ratio ends up finding an equilibrium because economics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom