• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump will live tweet during Comey testimony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Rubio is a sellout motherfucker just like Trump. I don't know enough about Cotton to say the same thing.

At the hearing where Clint Watts was on the panel, Cotton tried to blame Obama for the hacks. He said his weak policy on Russia emboldened them to do what they did. Seriously.

He also dodged questions from a 7 year old at a town hall meeting.

rambis

Banned
WASHINGTON (AP) — A nonprofit issues group is labeling James Comey a political “showboat” in a television ad set to air Thursday, the day the former FBI director testifies on Capitol Hill.

Comey “put politics over protecting America,” a narrator says in the 30-second spot, titled “Showboat,” which was shared with The Associated Press. It accuses him of being “consumed with election meddling” even as “terror attacks were on the rise.”

Great America Alliance has paid for the ad, which is slated to run digitally Wednesday and appear the next day on CNN and Fox News. The group, formed after President Donald Trump’s election to advocate for his administration, is not required to disclose its donors.

The message of the ad reflects a strategy by Trump and his advocates to erode Comey’s credibility.

https://apnews.com/97d2df602a664ae3a2b65b874a640baf
LMAO.

This may sound like a dumb question but what the fuck does the FBI even have to do with foreign terrorism?

RPGCrazied

ABC News‏Verified account @ABC 31m31 minutes ago

Exclusive: Former FBI Dir. Comey to stop short of saying Pres. Trump obstructed justice in Flynn probe, source says.

Why would you even do that after being called crazy & a nut job? Come clean, tell all.

PopeReal

At the hearing where Clint Watts was on the panel, Cotton tried to blame Obama for the hacks. He said his weak policy on Russia emboldened them to do what they did. Seriously.

He also dodged questions from a 7 year old at a town hall meeting.

Ah. So he will probably make the list.

TS-08

Exclusive: Former FBI Dir. Comey to stop short of saying Pres. Trump obstructed justice in Flynn probe, source says.

I hope no one genuinely thought he was going to outright accuse the President of a crime in his testimony. That's a legal conclusion and he knows better than to give one.

That said, the article also states he will push back on Trump's assertion that he said Trump wasn't under investigation.

Tovarisc

Something to keep in mind come Thursday. Video.

gpA6Q4o.png

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/872167759056162816

Zyae

I hope no one genuinely thought he was going to outright accuse the President of a crime in his testimony. That's a legal conclusion and he knows better than to give one.

That said, the article also states he will push back on Trump's assertion that he said Trump wasn't under investigation.

Right, this is fairly obvious.

PopeReal

You are probably right. This makes me feel better.

Is GuyKazama just pretending to be this bad at reading? It says right fucking there in your quoted transcript. Trumpism seems to corrupt not just your moral compass but your basic critical reading skills.

So if the Attorney General or senior officials at the Department of Justice opposes a specific investigation, can they halt that FBI investigation?

Attorney General or senior officials at the Department of Justice

Attorney General or senior officials at the Department of Justice

Guy.brush

"you give me six lines written by the hand of the most SAD! of men, I will find something in them which will hang him"

Twitter - the infamous career ender going for the crown jewel.

In the context of that quote, he's talking about receiving a direct order from the DOJ or Sessions.

Edit: I keep telling myself "Spicer and the staff can't be that dumb", but there it is, in writing, that anything the president writes on Thursday is self-incriminating. Why would you roll the dice like that for a real-time "reaction" stream of consciousness?

God damnit Comey, don't let him off easy
I don't think he will:

Mr. Comey wrote the memo detailing his conversation with the president immediately after the meeting, which took place the day after Mr. Flynn resigned, according to two people who read the memo. It was part of a paper trail Mr. Comey created documenting what he perceived as the president’s improper efforts to influence a continuing investigation. An F.B.I. agent’s contemporaneous notes are widely held up in court as credible evidence of conversations.
(New York Times: Comey Memo Says Trump Asked Him to End Flynn Investigation)

Loxley

A bummer, but Comey knows it's not his judgment to make seeing as he's no longer a part of the investigation. The man's a trained lawyer, he knows how to play the game. Besides, it's not like the GOP will do anything about it even if Comey just flat out said that Trump was obstructing justice. Comey's word alone will not get Trump impeached - Republicans will just try to smear his name and say he's bitter that Trump fired him so he's trying to get Trump impeached.

Boylamite

HIRONO: So if the Attorney General or senior officials at the Department of Justice opposes a specific investigation, can they halt that FBI investigation?

COMEY: In theory yes.

HIRONO: Has it happened?

COMEY: Not in my experience. Because it would be a big deal to tell the FBI to stop doing something that -- without an appropriate purpose. I mean where oftentimes they give us opinions that we don't see a case there and so you ought to stop investing resources in it. But I'm talking about a situation where we were told to stop something for a political reason, that would be a very big deal. It's not happened in my experience.

What the hell is wrong with You? Your quote literally mentions department of justice.

More like Trump trying to get attention away by saying outrageous things once again while some shit is going against him, so people get upset at a tweet instead of the actual issue.

Similar to Chaffetz on Flynn, Comey doesn't want to actually come out and accuse the president of a crime. He will simply state what happened without putting a label on it. If asked directly if he considers it obstruction, he will not go that far.

GuyKazama

What the hell is wrong with You? Your quote literally mentions department of justice.

The Executive branch and DOJ are the same. If Comey suspected any obstruction, he is legally obligated to report it immediately. Otherwise, it is assumed that the obstruction is successful, and he becomes complicit.

He has testified, as well as the acting FBI head, that no obstruction has taken place. This is consistent with what is expected of the testimony tomorrow.

What quote?

The one GuyKazama put in a quote block right underneath it:

HIRONO: So if the Attorney General or senior officials at the Department of Justice opposes a specific investigation, can they halt that FBI investigation?

COMEY: In theory yes.

HIRONO: Has it happened?

COMEY: Not in my experience. Because it would be a big deal to tell the FBI to stop doing something that -- without an appropriate purpose. I mean where oftentimes they give us opinions that we don't see a case there and so you ought to stop investing resources in it. But I'm talking about a situation where we were told to stop something for a political reason, that would be a very big deal. It's not happened in my experience.

The Executive branch and DOJ are the same. If Comey suspected any obstruction, he is legally obligated to report it immediately. Otherwise, it is assumed that the obstruction is successful, and he becomes complicit.

He has testified, as well as the acting FBI head, that no obstruction has taken place. This is consistent with what is expected of the testimony tomorrow.

He was asked a specific question, and gave a specific answer. Sessions or a member of the DOJ asking him to stop the investigation is very different from the president telling him to do so directly. He was not asked about the latter, and did not comment on it. As Trump has now burned his executive privilege to the ground, Comey can be fully open about any such conversations, but he will not use the word "obstruction" as it's a legal opinion and a charge of a crime.

PopeReal

He is a private citizen.

Sephzilla

He specified the DOJ and didn't include the Executive Branch for a reason. You really need to re-read what you quoted.

They are very much not the same, but whatever makes you feel better. Also, I don't think he will deny or confirm obstruction either, he will offer his testimony and defer since it is not his call to make.

rambis

Banned
I doubt Comey would go publicly and take any kind of hard position on obstruction either way. The way the leaks describe the memo describes the encounters seems more like Trump winked at him rather than tried to strong arm him.

TS-08

Comey probably didn't experience any direct attempts at interfering with the investigation, but his firing itself was potentially an attempt to do so. But Comey refusing to accuse the President of obstruction doesn't mean it didn't take place or that he doesn't believe it took place.

Boylamite

Dude, I'm Canadian and I know the difference between DOJ and the president. You are so full of shit.

First of NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. That's like saying that all dogs are German shepards.

Second, who the hell should Comey report it to when the AG was already caught being implicated and had to recuse himself and the house is blatantly trying to defend Trump desperately?

chadskin

The White House and the DoJ are not the same.

He was concerned that Trump's suggestion to end the Flynn probe could be an example of obstruction of justice. "It crossed his mind," a person familiar with the matter said, adding "even in its most benign form, it's an improper conversation. You're getting a little too close to the flame."
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/17/politics/comey-trump-oval-office-responses/index.html

I honestly think he is suiciding his presidency on purpose. He knows he is in way over his head, needs a way out. So he's going to do the equivalent of an account suicide, get impeached, and then use the impeachment to blame everyone else for a conspiracy to get rid of him. And secretly he'll breathe a sigh of relief that its all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom