• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump will live tweet during Comey testimony

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambis

Banned
The Executive branch and DOJ are the same. If Comey suspected any obstruction, he is legally obligated to report it immediately. Otherwise, it is assumed that the obstruction is successful, and he becomes complicit.

He has testified, as well as the acting FBI head, that no obstruction has taken place. This is consistent with what is expected of the testimony tomorrow.
No, they aren't. The DOJ is under the executive branch, they arent one entity.
A fair bit, they would be responsible for investigating agents acting on US soil.
Idk, I would consider that domestic. The way their website decribes their terrorism mission leads one to only think of things happening on US soil, which there hasnt been anything major in months.

Shoeless

I honestly think he is suiciding his presidency on purpose. He knows he is in way over his head, needs a way out. So he's going to do the equivalent of an account suicide, get impeached, and then use the impeachment to blame everyone else for a conspiracy to get rid of him. And secretly he'll breathe a sigh of relief that its all over.

I don't know if his ego could take the public and historical humiliation of an impeachment. I completely agree with you that it's clear he really, REALLY doesn't want this job, but I'm not sure his pride will allow him to go out in such a way that makes it clear to everyone that he's weaker than Obama. Perceived weakness seems to be his phobic trigger.

I honestly think he is suiciding his presidency on purpose. He knows he is in way over his head, needs a way out. So he's going to do the equivalent of an account suicide, get impeached, and then use the impeachment to blame everyone else for a conspiracy to get rid of him. And secretly he'll breathe a sigh of relief that its all over.

If he wanted out he could just resign tho

Honestly it's just the opposite.

If you look through all the evidence of Trump's behavior, it is VERY clear that Trump is suffering from the early stages of dementia.

It's not that Trump is secretly planning anything. It's that he is losing his ability to actually learn anything and is rapidly becoming more and more unhinged.

Normally the dementia development would be a slow progression, but we all know that the role of the Presidency has historically rapidly aged people, so instead the dementia is developing much more rapidly.

And what's gonna make it even worse for the White House is that Trump is too stubborn and lacking in self-awareness to ever admit to having dementia, which would be necessary for the White House to be able to prevent this from becoming such a PR disaster that Trump's previous fuck ups will look like sunshine and roses in comparison.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
If he wanted out he could just resign tho
He's way too proud to resign. That would be admitting that he was wrong, that he lost, that he's not good enough for the job, etc.

He wants to leave in a way that lets him squeal about it not being fair for the rest of his life. Even if it's a much slower, more embarrassing (for everyone else), and painful way to quit.

Boylamite

I want to point out too that guykazama's blindingly irresponsible relationship with the truth aside, "he testified DOJ but he REALLY meant the DOJ, the president, the justice league of America, the entire Congress and harambe the gorilla" is not a legal argument. You go by what he said in his testimony, not by some stupid bastard's interpretation of what he said after It's been filtered through fox news.

It's not Comey's place to decide if Obstruction of Justice occurred anyway.

All Comey can do is tell everyone what Trump told him and let the rest of the Congress and the investigators decide from there.

Remember, Comey is a private citizen now. He has no authority to charge or prosecute anyone.

He is now a witness.

jelly

Trump needs the money more than anything else to stay afloat. Being President was his golden ticket, he might get impeached or whatever but it's still lining his desperate pockets. He won't give it up easily.

He's way too proud to resign. That would be admitting that he was wrong, that he lost, that he's not good enough for the job, etc.

He wants to leave in a way that lets him squeal about it not being fair for the rest of his life. Even if it's a much slower, more embarrassing (for everyone else), and painful way to quit.

Basically, this. Comes with the added advantage of making enough noise and stink to launch his media empire.

I want to point out too that guykazama's blindingly irresponsible relationship with the truth aside, "he testified DOJ but he REALLY meant the DOJ, the president, the justice league of America, the entire Congress and harambe the gorilla" is not a legal argument. You go buy what he said, not some stupid bastard's interpretation of what he said.

None of the spin coming from the Trump camp is legal in nature, it's all political. Calling Comey a showboater or attacking him personally is just election season for them.

Tovarisc

Trump needs the money more than anything else to stay afloat. Being President was his golden ticket, he might get impeached or whatever but it's still lining his desperate pockets. He won't give it up easily.

He can always go back to stealing money from kids-cancer charities.

chadskin

None of the spin coming from the Trump camp is legal in nature, it's all political. Calling Comey a showboater or attacking him personally is just election season for them.

I think it's a valid question at the hearing why Comey didn't inform the DoJ about the inappropriate discussions with Trump at the time they occurred, i.e. in February/March.

To which he'll say along the lines of, he wanted to protect the FBI's work and thought Trump just wasn't fully aware of the rules and procedures then but now that he fired him, these discussions have taken on a new meaning for him.

tanooki27

I just hope it actually has a suitable outcome. Here's hoping that this ends more like Breaking Bad and less like Dexter.

agreed.

I believe civilization will shake the effects of Trump off - eventually. but there's gonna be a lot of pain in the meantime.

Boylamite

I think it's a valid question at the hearing why Comey didn't inform the DoJ about the inappropriate discussions with Trump at the time they occurred, i.e. in February/March.

To which he'll say along the lines of, he wanted to protect the FBI's work and thought Trump just wasn't fully aware of the rules and procedures then but now that he fired him, these discussions have taken on a new meaning for him.

That, or Comey rightfully didn't trust sessions or Rosenberg/was investigating them.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I want to point out too that guykazama's blindingly irresponsible relationship with the truth aside, "he testified DOJ but he REALLY meant the DOJ, the president, the justice league of America, the entire Congress and harambe the gorilla" is not a legal argument. You go by what he said in his testimony, not by some stupid bastard's interpretation of what he said after It's been filtered through fox news.

Dude

I don't think murder is legal

Police are going to come after you for leaving guykazama's body just laying there totally destroyed

The Executive branch and DOJ are the same. If Comey suspected any obstruction, he is legally obligated to report it immediately. Otherwise, it is assumed that the obstruction is successful, and he becomes complicit.

He has testified, as well as the acting FBI head, that no obstruction has taken place. This is consistent with what is expected of the testimony tomorrow.

It would really help things go more smoothly if you knew basic things about the structure of the United States government.

Either way, the case for obstruction is not just one conversation he had with Comey. It is the conversation + his conversations with Sessions + what he asked other members of his cabinet to do in terms of denying the existence of evidence + the firing of Comey + going on TV to confess that he fired Comey because Russia was on his mind.

It's not a single event or piece of evidence, it is a series of mounting evidence.

rambis

Banned

Or maybe he just wanted see how far would Trump go with it and build a casefile. Comey seems like he thinks two or three steps ahead.

Except nothing Trump has done has shown that he is some clever mastermind.

As I said in my above post, it's more likely he is literally losing mind via dementia.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Man this episode will be great

W6haT9A.png

I can't believe this is happening. Break out the popcorn thursday

Look at the timeline:

- Sessions didn't recuse himself until the beginning of March (Mar 2nd)
- Sessions didn't officially announce that this recusal extended to the Flynn investigation until late April.
- Comey didn't know he was going to be fired (May 9th) until minutes before it was officially announced.
- Mueller wasn't appointed until May 17th, a week afterwards.

If he knew something, who exactly was he supposed to tell in the DOJ? Or in Congress? There are supposed to be "checks and balances", but those are just words.

Addi

Is it just me or did Trump's craziness level up
(didn't know it was possible)
after his international trip?

Oh, I hope there are lot of foot-in-mouth tweets incoming.

Is it just me or did Trump's craziness level up
(didn't know it was possible)
after his international trip?

Cheeto boy had his feelings hurt after the European leaders all laughed at him (and when Macron gave him that #handshake).

Dunno if its been posted but here is the Comey smear ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgRQRWrhfYs

Don't know if I'll have to scrub my HDD, but this is the American Spectator article quoted in the ad.

The "dangerous practice" vaguely referred to in the ad is hiring Muslim-Americans as FBI agents.

https://spectator.org/james-comey-not-just-incompetent-but-he-placed-american-lives-at-risk/

Before Comey became director, the FBI initiated a policy that actually banned the FBI from conducting surveillance of mosques and instructed agents to “remove their shoes” before entering a mosque (what if they have to chase a suspect?), wait for the worship service to be over before entering, and not allow police dogs to sniff for explosives. The rules do not appear to apply to investigations involving Christian churches. Nor did Comey make any effort to change this policy even though Mosques have repeatedly been implicated in Islamic terror plots worldwide.

Moreover, Comey continued Director Mueller’s practice of heavily recruiting Muslims to be agents with apparently very little vetting. Indeed, the FBI placed recruitment ads in the publications of extremist Islamic groups with the slogan “Today’s FBI. It’s for You.” And it paid off. Indeed, WorldNetDaily broke a story that a Muslim agent working for the Los Angeles FBI field office “tipped off a Muslim suspect under investigation for terrorism about FBI surveillance.”

Yikes at that article.

They also quote Breitbart, but I won't go there on a work computer.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
The White House in an nutshell. Chaos, no plan, no thought. Imagine the stuff he will make up.

chadskin

Look at the timeline:

- Sessions didn't recuse himself until the beginning of March (Mar 2nd)
- Sessions didn't officially announce that this recusal extended to the Flynn investigation until late April.
- Comey didn't know he was going to be fired (May 9th) until minutes before it was officially announced.
- Mueller wasn't appointed until May 17th, a week afterwards.

If he knew something, who exactly was he supposed to tell in the DOJ? Or in Congress? There are supposed to be "checks and balances", but those are just words.

Dana Boente was the acting deputy AG after Yates was fired and before Rosenstein was appointed in late April.

They are very much not the same, but whatever makes you feel better. Also, I don't think he will deny or confirm obstruction either, he will offer his testimony and defer since it is not his call to make.

It's not his call to make. It's Mueller's, with whom he's already met with. GuyKazama is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom