• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump will live tweet during Comey testimony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leave it to our orange POTUS to come up with such a stupid decision due to his pattern of self- destructive behavior. It would be irionic if Trump tweets something more potentially damaging than compared to whatever Comey has to say.

Hopefully that's Comey's gameplan. He probably can't talk about a lot of the classified stuff directly, but enough doubt/confirmation in the air and let the crybaby in chief hang himself with his own words. Hell, I would even respond to an inevitable question about what Trump is tweeting by directly inviting him to come to one of these hearings and testify to "set the record straight". That would probably never happen, but just getting under Trump's skin like that has proven to be a completely valid strategy and in the chance that he actually went under oath, he'd be so utterly fucked that he'd probably be impeached by the next day.

Man this episode will be great

W6haT9A.png

I can't believe this is happening. Break out the popcorn thursday

I don't recognize the font because I never watched Curb Your Enthusiasm, but that is what I'm looking at, right?

Looking at that Babylon 5 LTTP thread, I'm hoping for
"no hiding place"
. But I think that's a future episode.

edit: ah, Sunny. Didn't watch that show either, yet.

cameron

Breaking: Comey to testify he never told Trump he was not under FBI investigation @GloriaBorger reports

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/872227238288252928

CNN:
Washington (CNN)In his much-anticipated congressional testimony on Thursday, fired FBI Director James Comey will dispute President Donald Trump's blanket claim that he was told he was not under investigation multiple times, according to sources familiar with Comey's thinking.

Rather, one source said that Comey is expected to tell senators that he never assured Trump he was not under investigation, because such assurances would have been improper. Another source hinted that the President may have misunderstood the exact meaning of Comey's words, especially regarding the FBI's ongoing counterintelligence investigation.

In his letter to Comey firing him, Trump raised the Russia investigation and asserted that: "...I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation." The White House has not provided details of when those three conversations allegedly took place.

In addition, one source familiar with Comey's testimony says that Comey is not going to conclude whether the President obstructed justice regarding the agency's Russia investigation, according to a source with knowledge. Rather, this source says, Comey plans to present himself as a "fact witness" by simply describing the interactions with the President on multiple occasions that made him uneasy enough to memorialize their conversations. He "will leave the legal analysis for others," a source tells CNN.
While Comey is anxious to recount his version of his conversations with the President, he also appears likely to sidestep questions about how he felt about Trump's comments -- for instance, whether he felt pressured to drop the investigation or whether he thought they amounted to obstruction, another source said.

Comey believes that his own feelings about the President's comments are largely "irrelevant," the source said, and that his account of what happened is the central issue. What matters in considering possible obstruction of justice, this source added, is the President's intent, not how Comey felt about it.

The other key issues Comey will address are clear, a source adds -- the allegation that Trump asked Comey to pledge his loyalty to him shortly after he took office, and the President's request to ease up on the investigation into former national security adviser Michael Flynn in the FBI probe into possible collusion with Russia by Trump associates.

The former FBI director recorded at least one of those interactions in a written memo, the now-leaked contents of which paint a picture that some Democrats characterize as bordering on obstruction of justice.

NYR

Sounds like it is going to be a very boring testimony and by no means the death blow some people may be looking for.

johnsmith

remember me
Sounds like it is going to be a very boring testimony and by no means the death blow some people may be looking for.

Nobody seriously thinks this will be any kind of death blow or smoking gun, but these were huge stories when they were leaked memos from anonymous sources. Hearing them directly from Comey's mouth is going to drive the news for days.

Internets

Probably the easiest analogy I can think of is that Comey can put out the statistics, but he's not going to form conclusion out of those stats. He'll leave the conclusion forming to everyone else

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

It will be neither a death blow or boring, but it will be a pretty significant point in this whole saga. I get so frustrated reading posts like this that try to downplay what is going on here.

Wrong. It's still gonna be a big deal, because it will be Comey confirming a lot of things that we have only seen reported about offhand by the press.

Just because Comey won't say the words "Trump committed obstruction of justice", doesn't mean he isn't going to give testimony that will considered VERY strong evidence that Trump did in fact violate the law. I expect the following things will be key:

1) Whether or not Trump asked Comey to stop investigating Flynn

2) Whether or not Trump made any other requests to Comey regarding the Russia investigation

3) Whether or not Trump asked Comey for his "loyalty"

4) How often Trump contacted Comey and in comparison how often Obama contacted Comey. This is key because if Trump was contacting Comey a shitload in just 4 months then Trump is blatantly violating the independence of the FBI from the White House

5) Any questions that Comey could answer which could, in a VERY subtle way, start to implicate GOP leadership in the House of Reps.

6) Whether or not people at the White House or DoJ gave Comey ANY indication about the issues that were mentioned in the recommendation letter before he got fired (this is key because if they didn't even talk to him about these issues then it proves that they are lying about the letter's contents being the reason for firing him)

I'm sorry, this isn't Wrestlemania and no one will be hit over the head with a folding chair.
Dammit why did the blow the body slam and death threat budget before the season finale

Actually nah Id like a classy subdued episode for once
well ok not very classy with Trump live tweeting but still

Boylamite

Smear ads for a witness. Guys, seriously what the fuck??? Trump better go down because if not.... we could be heading into some dark times. It is incomprehensible how people can support this.

Who the hell in America looks at Putin and thinks "yeah this guy is alright"??
Do people not realize what living in an authoritarian regime is like worst case scenario?

chadskin

It appears Comey did notify Sessions about his discussions with Trump:

The day after President Trump asked James B. Comey, the F.B.I. director, to end an investigation into his former national security adviser, Mr. Comey confronted Attorney General Jeff Sessions and said he did not want to be left alone again with the president, according to current and former law enforcement officials.

Mr. Comey believed Mr. Sessions should protect the F.B.I. from White House influence, the officials said, and pulled him aside after a meeting in February to tell him that private interactions between the F.B.I. director and the president were inappropriate. But Mr. Sessions could not guarantee that the president would not try to talk to Mr. Comey alone again, the officials said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/06/us/politics/comey-sessions-trump.html

ICO_SotC

Also should be noted;

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-russia-hearings-20170605-story.html

The hearings kick off Wednesday when some of America’s top national security officials — Dan Coats, the director of national intelligence; Adm. Michael S. Rogers, director of the National Security Agency; Andrew McCabe, acting FBI director; and Rod Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general — will testify.

It's not just Comey. There's questions as to whether Trump pressured Coats and Rogers on the Russia investigation too.

JaseMath

I expected—100%—for this testimony to be blocked. I hope Comey understands what a turning point in history his testimony can become. As corny as it sounds, he could feasibly go to bed that night a patriot of the American people.

johnsmith

remember me
Our president is a petulant child

Robert Costa @costareports

Trump has been watching TV more than usual, swatting away suggestions to cool it, and tweeting whatever he wants.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...1e6d00-4acf-11e7-9669-250d0b15f83b_story.html

Alone in the White House in recent days, President Trump — frustrated and defiant — has been spoiling for a fight, according to his confidants and associates.

Glued even more than usual to the cable news shows that blare from the televisions in his private living quarters, or from the 60-inch flat screen he had installed in his cramped study off the Oval Office, he has fumed about “fake news.” Trump has seethed as his agenda has stalled in Congress and the courts. He has chafed against the pleas for caution from his lawyers and political advisers, tweeting whatever he wants, whenever he wants.

And on Thursday, the president will come screen-to-screen with the former FBI director he fired, James B. Comey, who has consumed, haunted and antagonized him by overseeing an expanding Russia investigation that the president slammed as a “witch hunt.”

Comey’s testimony is a political Super Bowl — with television networks interrupting regular programming to air it, and some Washington offices and bars making plans for special viewings.

Trump is keen to be a participant rather than just another viewer, two senior White House officials said, including the possibility of taking to Twitter to offer acerbic commentary during the hearing.

"I wish him good luck,” the president told reporters on Tuesday.

“He’s infuriated at a deep-gut, personal level that the elite media has tolerated [the Russia story] and praised Comey,” former House speaker Newt Gingrich said. “He’s not going to let some guy like that smear him without punching him as hard as he can.”

This account of Trump’s mind-set and the preparations of his team in the run-up to Comey’s testimony is based on interviews with 20 White House officials, Trump friends and other senior Republicans, many of whom spoke only on the condition of anonymity to offer candid perspectives.

The president’s lawyers and aides have been urging him to resist engaging, and they hope to keep him busy Thursday with other events meant to compete for his — and the news media’s — attention.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
What happens when Trump decides to launch a nuke just to cause an emergency so he can ride out his Presidency on a war-driven news cycle causing everyone to forget about Russia?

Tovarisc

What happens when Trump decides to launch a nuke just to cause an emergency so he can ride out his Presidency on a war-driven news cycle causing everyone to forget about Russia?

If he is stupid enough to do that then world would have bigger concerns than EasyD taking it from DaddyVladdy.

cameron

Trump has been watching TV more than usual, swatting away suggestions to cool it, and tweeting whatever he wants.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...1e6d00-4acf-11e7-9669-250d0b15f83b_story.html

Cheerleader Roger Stone:
“He’s not going to take an attack by James Comey laying down,” said Roger Stone, a longtime Trump friend and former political adviser. “Trump is a fighter, he’s a brawler and he’s the best counterpuncher in American politics.”

Staff/aides:
The West Wing, meanwhile, has taken on an atmosphere of legal uncertainty. White House counsel Donald F. McGahn has told staff to hold onto emails, documents and phone records, officials said, a move of caution designed to prepare the staff for future legal requests, should they come. McGahn has specifically advised staffers to avoid what are known as the “burn bags” in the executive branch that are often used to discard papers.

While people familiar with the White House counsel’s office described McGahn’s moves as appropriate steps because of the ongoing probes, they said many junior staffers are increasingly skittish and fearful of their communications eventually finding their way into the hands of investigators.

Some staffers nervous about their own personal liability are contemplating hiring lawyers and have become more rigorous about not putting things in text messages or emails that they would not want to be subpoenaed, one person familiar with the situation said.
Inside the West Wing, senior officials and junior aides fear that the president’s erratic behavior could have sweeping legal and political consequences, and they are frustrated that he has not proven able to focus on his agenda — this was supposed to be “infrastructure week,” for instance. Many are also resigned to the idea that there is little they can do to moderate or thwart Trump’s moves, so instead they are focused on managing the fallout.

One Republican close to the White House summed up the staff’s mantra as: “Please, don’t, you’re not helping things.”

Opto

Banned
I really don't like how the media is calling this a super bowl. We have a president obstructing justice and they're calling it a game. Then this orange garbage bag is going to be undermining everything Comey says in real time? And you can bet CNN will be posting that latest tweets right next to the live feed.

It's all so fucking pathetic.

Considering that the White House had preventative measures against a Drunk Alcoholic Nixon launching nukes, there is no way they don't already have measures in place to make sure Trump can't actually be the one to launch the nukes.

I really don't like how the media is calling this a super bowl. We have a president obstructing justice and they're calling it a game. Then this orange garbage bag is going to be undermining everything Comey says in real time? And you can bet CNN will be posting that latest tweets right next to the live feed.

It's all so fucking pathetic.

Whatever gets people tuning in and engaged is okay in my book. We had an entire election cycle where 2/3rds of the country stayed home because they simply did not give enough of a fuck. That can't happen again, and if energizing people to watch one of the most pivotal testimonies in illuminating how this presidency will proceed gets them to tune in and remain informed for future elections, so be it.

Opto

Banned
Whatever gets people tuning in and engaged is okay in my book. We had an entire election cycle where 2/3rds of the country stayed home because they simply did not give enough of a fuck. That can't happen again, and if energizing people to watch one of the most pivotal testimonies in illuminating how this presidency will proceed gets them to tune in and remain informed for future elections, so be it.

But I feel like the framing done by the media is going to categorize this as inconsequential as a super bowl game. Like, people tune in for the digs and theater of it all like an episode of Scandal, but it doesn't translate into political action.

eizarus

Banned
Lmao Trump is a joke

What if he's a decoy and Pence is the real sleeper agent. Trump takes the heat, gets compensated later, Pence comes into power, anoints Putin with the "honourary" title Co-Commander-in-Chief

thank god we have the news telling us this vital information, that someone will use the internet in the same manner that everyone on the planet uses the internet, daily.

it's so pathetic and predictable how much the media desperately craves his every word. we locked in til 2024

cameron

thank god we have the news telling us this vital information, that someone will use the internet in the same manner that everyone on the planet uses the internet, daily.

it's so pathetic and predictable how much the media desperately craves his every word. we locked in til 2024

Something is certainly pathetic and predictable all right.

I still feel a little strange rooting for Comey. I still see this guy as a fucking scumbag that tried to interfere with the election. It's weird to see him now testifying about other people interfering with the election.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Yeah, the news isn't reporting any of the really important news. When are they going to do that?

The Washington Post and New York Times have just been snoozing since he took office.

tsumineko

The president’s lawyers and aides have been urging him to resist engaging, and they hope to keep him busy Thursday with other events meant to compete for his — and the news media’s — attention.

Bahahahaha!!

Give him some magnets and let him be confused by them for a few hours.

watershed

Banned
He's trying to distract people from the hearing itself. This will be his entire Twitter strategy distilled. He can't help himself. Talk all the time. Big talk. The best talk. With great endurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom