• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Try Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown for free on Jan 11th

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So like, a demo, right? This was announced 8th December at TGA.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
But 'for free' is a bit strange...

Maybe a demo.

Yes, it's a demo. The article is worded weirdly.

For those eager to get their hands on it, or curious about what's in store, a free demo will be available on January 11 for all platforms.

Last edited:

Fake

Yes, it's a demo. The article is worded weirdly.

For those eager to get their hands on it, or curious about what's in store, a free demo will be available on January 11 for all platforms.
Supposedly review embargo is the same day as the demo. That's someone that is phenomenally confident, if true. Read about it a week ahead of time with scores, and try it yourself.

I take back because of the article phrasing. Maybe they are confident after all.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I take back because of the article phrasing. Maybe they are confident after all.

The previews for the game have been overwhelmingly positive. Looks like it's going to be a great 2.5D Metroidvania.

d97.jpg

Never liked any of Ubisoft's 2D titles. Not even going to bother with this one.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
How many Prince of Persia games do they have in development? I thought it was about the other game.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Im ready for this! The game has been getting positive reports in the previews so im looking forward to trying the PS5 version.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Holy shit. So now playable demos are bad.

What is this nonsense.

So are you applying this insane logic to Tekken 8 also?

What is this nonsense? You mean, what is this reality. Did you just get into this hobby?

Ubisoft and most other major publishers don’t do “free trials” at launch unless they’re afraid the game’s going to perform poorly.

Unless you want to blow smoke up each other’s asses and pretend it’s the norm from big publishers.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
What is this nonsense? You mean, what is this reality. Did you just get into this hobby?

Ubisoft and most other major publishers don’t do “free trials” at launch unless they’re afraid the game’s going to perform poorly.

Unless you want to blow smoke up each other’s asses and pretend it’s the norm from big publishers.

It's a fucking DEMO. Yes, demos are normal. There's an entire section on the PSN store for DEMOS.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

Yikes.....you're apparently smoking other things besides meat

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I see you pulled your meaningless article down.

Maybe go back and reread what I said. I’m not trolling. I’m telling it like it is.
Personally, I think it means that the game has a lower budget than their big stuff and the marketing team has determined that getting your hands on it is the best way to sell the game, versus trailers since the game isn't really pushing AAA graphics or anything.

We all know a demo is a potential risk. You can gain sales in some cases, and you can lose sales in some cases. It really just depends on if you think the gameplay is so strong that you gain more than you'd lose. It's a marketing strategy.

What we know for sure is that this means that they think the game plays well enough that if people just try it, it will increase sales. I don't think anyone is predicting this game to be some blockbuster selling game, but it would be nice if it gets great reviews and word of mouth and surprises people.

DaGwaphics

I’d say so.

If a major publisher is announcing a Play it for Free promo before release, it tells me they’re expecting it to bomb.

Doesn’t mean it’s not a good game. They just don’t have confidence that it’s going to sell.

The playable demos could certainly go either way as far as influencing sales, especially early sales (maybe you scratch the initial itch with the demo and then wait on a price drop).

I think it makes a lot of sense with a large scale 2.5D game though. A lot of gamers today only have experience with indie 2D games because not as many big studios do them now. The demo here might help with the $50 sticker shock and get curious gamers to jump on. Assuming of course that it plays well, it looks very solid in the previews so far.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think it makes a lot of sense with a large scale 2.5D game though. A lot of gamers today only have experience with indie 2D games because not as many big studios do them now. The demo here might help with the $50 sticker shock and get curious gamers to jump on. Assuming of course that it plays well, it looks very solid in the previews so far.

It absolutely makes sense. They’re taking a gamble that they know can blow up in their face by going 2D with PoP at $50.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Japanese publishers often do demos. This doesn’t apply to them.
It does apply to them. What they are doing is picking a focus for marketing. Many Japanese games don't have the most cutting edge visuals, but have top tier gameplay. Many also don't have infinite marketing budget for trailers. A demo is a cheap way to bypass visual deficit and focus on selling the game on gameplay feel, and it costs almost nothing to do.

Something like a large Sony game that has cutting edge visuals will sell in trailers well just from the visuals. At that point, marketing will determine that FOMO and visuals are enough to sell it and skip a demo. A demo may convince people they don't need it, but the trailer will convince them they will need it.

DaGwaphics

@ SmokedMeat SmokedMeat PoP plays best in 2D IMO, I don't think it's a risk as far as the IP goes. I doubt it's something that could really blow up in their face either, the budget on this game is probably not nearly as high as a proper 3D game. At least it seems like it would be, since all the stages/areas are only presented from the one angle (have no real idea about that though). They might be able to break-even here even if it launches poorly, I hope it turns them a nice profit though. I'd love to see more 2D games from larger studios with nice 2.5d graphics (not a big fan of retro style pixel art).

I've always felt that platforming in particular was at its best in 2D.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It does apply to them. What they are doing is picking a focus for marketing. Many Japanese games don't have the most cutting edge visuals, but have top tier gameplay. Many also don't have infinite marketing budget for trailers. A demo is a cheap way to bypass visual deficit and focus on selling the game on gameplay feel, and it costs almost nothing to do.

Something like a large Sony game that has cutting edge visuals will sell in trailers well just from the visuals. At that point, marketing will determine that FOMO and visuals are enough to sell it and skip a demo. A demo may convince people they don't need it, but the trailer will convince them they will need it.

I’m going to have to disagree with you. From my personal experience, even with well known sure fire hit franchises, publishers like Namco would still release a demo. Even going back to the PS1 days.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I’m going to have to disagree with you. From my personal experience, even with well known sure fire hit franchises, publishers like Namco would still release a demo. Even going back to the PS1 days.
Sure, that's fine. Might literally just be budget. I can't recall ever seeing a Namco commercial anywhere. All it means is this is how they are choosing to market their game, and they think playing it before buying is a net positive. There are multiple ways to market a game. Anyway, just repeating myself.

You notice you don't get Souls game demos. Because they know hype, FOMO actually are motivating factors. And playing it may remind some people its hard and they won't play it. There's always a marketing logic to it. We can only guess what it is.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
@ SmokedMeat SmokedMeat PoP plays best in 2D IMO, I don't think it's a risk as far as the IP goes. I doubt it's something that could really blow up in their face either, the budget on this game is probably not nearly as high as a proper 3D game. At least it seems like it would be, since all the stages/areas are only presented from the one angle (have no real idea about that though). They might be able to break-even here even if it launches poorly, I hope it turns them a nice profit though. I'd love to see more 2D games from larger studios with nice 2.5d graphics (not a big fan of retro style pixel art).

I've always felt that platforming in particular was at its best in 2D.

PoP is good in 2D, but Sands of Time and Forgotten Sands were above any 2D PoP imo.
You’re right though in that the budget couldn’t have been nearly as large as a 3D game. I think it’s still a risky move to go 2D these days, as a lot of people were thirsting for a 3D Prince, and there’s some that equate 2D with $20 budget games. At $50 it’s a hard sell I think, hence the prerelease demo.
Hopefully they don’t put the franchise on ice if this doesn’t live up to sales expectations.

It absolutely makes sense. They’re taking a gamble that they know can blow up in their face by going 2D with PoP at $50.
Your comments justifying why japanese demos are great and why other demos are lack of confidence are pretty funny, but I have to admit you've created a bit of an ironclad defense by making your argument more about sales than ratings, because we will need to know the budget of the game to determine if it was a success or not.

Honestly, I disagree about the confidence issue, but I agree with you about the 49.99 price point being a barrier of entry. My prediction is that this game will be put on the 'underrated gems' list of 2024 and a larger sales spike will occur somewhere between 14.99 and 29.99.

If this ends up on gamepass then never mind to any of the above.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Come back to me a month or two after the game launches, and we’ll see how wrong I am.

Canadian Lol GIF

Top Bottom