• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Try Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown for free on Jan 11th

ManaByte

Gold Member
Canadian Lol GIF
Milk Glass GIF

Thief1987

Liked what I played in the demo pretty much, shame though that they didn't let you fight the boss in the end. But, yeah, 50$ is a no go for me for a 2D metroidvania game

Last edited:

Kurotri

I played it, and it was pretty much what I expected from watching the trailers:
- gorgeous art design
- really, really fun gameplay and platforming that I can see get addicting pretty quick
- absolutely amazing music
- very easy to pick up and play, with a combat system that is both fluid and stylish and allows for some sick moments when you manage to land some combos using your environment
- plenty of exploration, map marking is pretty important and ultimately rewarding if you engage with it
- puzzles and loot
- nice atmosphere

This is a banger. I'm getting this for 15 bucks on Ubisoft+ on Monday. As a PoP fan, I'm thrilled for its return. The scores are already in, I just hope Ubi makes bank with this as they deserve it.
But there was one bizzare thing that really pissed me off, maybe I'm alone with this: The DualSense. My controller is not broken. However, when I connected it to my PC via Bluetooth, the menu went fucking INSANE. It was constantly registering input (as if I was constantly applying pressure to the dpad) which resulted in the menu screen going haywire. Closing the game through the task manager was the only way to escape. Bizarrely enough, if connected with a USB cable, it works. I hope they fix this.

Last edited:

T-Cake

But there was one bizzare thing that really pissed me off, maybe I'm alone with this: The DualSense. My controller is not broken. However, when I connected it to my PC via Bluetooth, the menu went fucking INSANE. It was constantly registering input (as if I was constantly applying pressure to the dpad) which resulted in the menu screen going haywire. Closing the game through the task manager was the only way to escape. Bizarrely enough, if connected with a USB cable, it works. I hope they fix this.

Has the DualSense ever been fully supported with Bluetooth? I thought you had to connect with USB to use all its functionality.

Kurotri

Has the DualSense ever been fully supported with Bluetooth? I thought you had to connect with USB to use all its functionality.
I had no problem whatsoever using it to play games like Lies of P, Yakuza Gaiden, Alan Wake 2 and Cyberpunk 2077. If there was some weird problem (for example, if you played Lies of P with game pass using the Microsoft store, it didn't want to play nice), DS4Windows can come in clutch. With PoP it was the first time for me where it wouldn't let me play unless I used cable. Pretty odd.
Edit: If you are referring to stuff like Haptic feedback and stuff, no idea, I don't think many games support them in general outside some PS5 exclusives.

Last edited:

simpatico

I’ve got no problem with $50 for a 2D Metroidvania IF the content is there. Gonna try this out tonight after work. One thing throwing me off is the hair. Do Persians normally have dreads? Its literally the title of the game guys.

Horatius

I’ve got no problem with $50 for a 2D Metroidvania IF the content is there. Gonna try this out tonight after work. One thing throwing me off is the hair. Do Persians normally have dreads? Its literally the title of the game guys.
unironically waiting on a haircut mod for PC before i play it, it's so distracting and modern and bad

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Alejandro Jodorowsky Movie GIF by Arrow Video

We shall see. I’m the one wearing pants btw.

Well i mean you're already wrong, but if you want to double down, have at it. You said:

"What is this nonsense? You mean, what is this reality. Did you just get into this hobby?
Ubisoft and most other major publishers don’t do “free trials” at launch unless they’re afraid the game’s going to perform poorly."

The game is getting solid 9's pretty much everywhere in the reviews that dropped today, and people are loving the demo. Based on all of that alone anyone with common sense can see that they aren't afraid of it bombing at all. Releasing the demo AND allowing reviews on the same day is pretty ballsy IMO, and says they are plenty confident in the game.

T-Cake

Demo reminded me of Hollow Knight but much more fluid gameplay. Looking forward to buying when it comes on Steam.

I'm going to download this demo on my PS5 just to try the 4K/120 mode. It's the first PS5 game I know of that actually supports this model and claims to run at 120 fps.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So is the game any good? I can’t be arsed to go downstairs and download it right now.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Well i mean you're already wrong, but if you want to double down, have at it. You said:

"What is this nonsense? You mean, what is this reality. Did you just get into this hobby?
Ubisoft and most other major publishers don’t do “free trials” at launch unless they’re afraid the game’s going to perform poorly."

The game is getting solid 9's pretty much everywhere in the reviews that dropped today, and people are loving the demo. Based on all of that alone anyone with common sense can see that they aren't afraid of it bombing at all. Releasing the demo AND allowing reviews on the same day is pretty ballsy IMO, and says they are plenty confident in the game.

I’m talking actual sales you can of flavored ketchup.
I got an email letting me know about it.

It’s great that people love it. Means nothing. Are they going to drop $60 on it?

That’s what I doubt and I think Ubi is afraid of. Hence the demo.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I guess I couldnt wait. The combat is so sick. Controls are incredibly fluid and responsive. Game is sick. Dodge underneath enemies into kick in the back, slash then charge hit for a spin stab. Platforming is fluid and fun. Game has barely started. Fun in the first 5 min. Hold ranged and you have an additional projectile, and it can ricochet off walls and the floor. Hit attack immediately after a parry for a flashy counter kill on glowing enemy attacks. Bombs and arrows can also be parried. Down + attack is a 2 hit combo with a kick also.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

It’s great that people love it. Means nothing. Are they going to drop $60 on it?

No, because it's $49.99.....do you even know anything about the game you're attempting to roast, smokedweiner?

yuEqxcj.png

Mowcno

I can't believe people thought them releasing a demo was a bad sign....

If the game was crap the last thing they'd do is let everyone try it for free so they can find out it's crap before buying it.

Use your heads.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Anyone know if ira Cross buy on xbox?

I need more of that.

Basically, if I buy on xbox do I get an xbox app version as well.

Little Mac

Gold Member
So is the game any good? I can’t be arsed to go downstairs and download it right now.

The game is pretty good but the graphics are poor. I played it on PS5 and it looks like a Switch game running at 120fps. No HDR for some reason too. The combat and traversal is spot on though and the metroidvania exploration looks to be on point. I didn't mind the character designs like some of the other members here. It would be an amazing experience if it wasn't clearly developed for last gen consoles, phones, ect. It's fun though. Played the demo twice, second time on a harder difficulty. Enjoyed what was offered but I'm gonna wait for a sale I think. I'd try out the demo and decide for yourself.

simpatico

How come uPlay can't remember my credentials? I haven't had to log into my Steam client since the Obama administration.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The game is pretty good but the graphics are poor. I played it on PS5 and it looks like a Switch game running at 120fps. No HDR for some reason too. The combat and traversal is spot on though and the metroidvania exploration looks to be on point. I didn't mind the character designs like some of the other members here. It would be an amazing experience if it wasn't clearly developed for last gen consoles, phones, ect. It's fun though. Played the demo twice, second time on a harder difficulty. Enjoyed what was offered but I'm gonna wait for a sale I think. I'd try out the demo and decide for yourself.
It looks like a game made for Switch that just happens to be on everything.

Quillerz

Neo Member
This is an absolute banger and a phenomenal start to 2024.

Now this is definitely the type of game that I would consider right up my street, a medtroidvania with precision platforming and enjoyable combat, but I think Ubisoft has pulled it all of beautifully if the demo is anything to go by. Played through it twice this evening just because playing it is fun. And 4K 120FPS!

I have the house to myself on Monday so I’ve preordered to play the full game early. Can’t wait!

RAIDEN1

I tried the demo, and much to my surprise in the options menu you can get the spoken dialogue to be persian!! Something they should have done with the Assassins Creed game set in Egypt, (used the ancient egyptian language) I instantly went with that option with English texts, makes the experience A LOT more authentic.....frustrating you can't save your progress in the demo, as I got to a part I wasn't sure where to proceed further on..

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Anyone know if ira Cross buy on xbox?

I need more of that.

Basically, if I buy on xbox do I get an xbox app version as well.
if a game doesn't say "Xbox Play Anywhere", then no you aren't getting two versions.
It's a ubisoft game anyway, so there's no way you're getting two copies when buying since it uses it's own launcher.

Yeah im buying this. Gameplay is top tier.

Thats because the dev lead platform is the switch.

Sentenza

Tried the demo for a hour or so and then I shut down the demo without finishing all of what's available in it (I hope it's not true that it doesn't save).

Anyway, I have to confirm the first impression from the trailer that I GUNUINELY don't like the art style.
The gameplay/traversal is a mixed bag. i have to admit in the first minutes I wasn't really liking anything: the combat, the platforming, the feeling with the controls in general, the art...
It kinda grew on me a bit as I advanced, but I would lie if I claimed "It quickly climbed to become my favorite metroidvania".

Right now I'm left with the impression that it's a game that i would probably keep playing in small, sparse sections, but far from something I've immediately fallen in love with.
I know that it's getting raving reviews, I just don't see it (yet).

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Everyone remember you can get a 20% discount whenever you want on pc by just trading in your points, so that 50 drops to 40.

KXVXII9X

I am a very happy gamer right now!

I cannot get enough High-quality, focused and stylized AA/Indie titles like Kena, Sifu, Hi-Fi Rush, Ori, and now this. This year is packed full of these gems.

I really do like the trend of customized accessibility that isn't just easy, medium, and hard, and sometimes super hard. You can adjust damage, parry window, and such.

I'm not far but combat is fluid and fast. It is just fun. Parrys are satisfying and it looks like there will be a lot of branching paths and secrets.

simpatico

They fucked it up.

In fact, it's exactly what you would imagine. You don't need to spend $50, you don't need to bother downloading it. Close your eyes and imagine what a modern Ubisoft Metroidvania would be like. Bam. You've played it, and you were whelmed.

- couldn't go 60 seconds in the demo without getting full page tool tips I had to mash through
- story that no ones cares about. waste of money on voice actors
- enemies are damage sponges yet not difficult in the slightest. just a slog to slice through
- Instead of just slashing as a classy person like Alucard would, every time you press X our non Prince protagonist backflips and arials into a break dance of attacks. Which seem not so impressive when you need to land 9 of them to take out a common skelly
- art is exactly what you'd expect. soulless. It might even have negative soul. Fornite WoW aesthetics throughout
- enemies explode into a confetti of colored shards. no clue what they do.
+ jumping feels good

Even if it was $15 I'm not sure it's worth your time when stellar genre darlings like Blasphemous 2 and The Last Faith are still fresh out of the oven. Both are dripping with lovingly crafted art and aesthetic.

I love the genre and I'd love to support a high budget release, but this ain't it.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Enemy attack patterns are pretty good for a game like this. Feels like the flow of attack and parry is a bit reminiscent of the original 2D game.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

I was gonna comment about it apparently being a good game, but then I went back and read your first post. (I’m not reading the rest of the thread though, I can’t be arsed.) You said that they released a demo because the game would bomb. You specifically said “that doesn’t mean it’s not a good game.” That tells me that you’re saying “they released a demo because, even if the game is good, Ubisoft believes it could sell poorly.”

Well, yeah. I agree with this. Why is this apparently a hot take? You’re not saying the game is shit, you’re saying that Ubisoft doesn’t believe a 2D PoP game will sell by name alone, and so they put up a demo. That makes sense to me. For $50, any side-scroller is going to be a tough sell for most Ubisoft gamers. Makes sense that Ubisoft would release a demo of the game specifically because they are concerned about the game’s sales. Why are people disagreeing with your take? What am I missing?

Is there a way to save your progress?

I’m playing the demo on the portal, I’m alone in taking care of my toddler, I already turned it off once assuming it auto saves or at least saved at the wack off tree, nope! Had to start over again.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I was gonna comment about it apparently being a good game, but then I went back and read your first post. (I’m not reading the rest of the thread though, I can’t be arsed.) You said that they released a demo because the game would bomb. You specifically said “that doesn’t mean it’s not a good game.” That tells me that you’re saying “they released a demo because, even if the game is good, Ubisoft believes it could sell poorly.”

Well, yeah. I agree with this. Why is this apparently a hot take? You’re not saying the game is shit, you’re saying that Ubisoft doesn’t believe a 2D PoP game will sell by name alone, and so they put up a demo. That makes sense to me. For $50, any side-scroller is going to be a tough sell for most Ubisoft gamers. Makes sense that Ubisoft would release a demo of the game specifically because they are concerned about the game’s sales. Why are people disagreeing with your take? What am I missing?

A few people jumped to conclusions and exaggerated like I was attacking the game or a demo existing. The usual message board overreaction lol.
I don’t think it’s going to be a bad game at all. I do think that even with the game turning out well, the “starting at” $60 price point (Epic Game Store since I’m on PC) is a very difficult sell since it’s 2D and not a big budget AAA game in the third person. I think a lot of people expected that instead.

Ubisoft is also marketing the demo, which I mistakenly called a free trial. It’s been in their news and I received an email reminder about it today. This is something you almost never see Ubi do. They certainly don’t ever offer demos for their big releases, so to me there’s a reason for that demo. The last demo or free trial (can’t recall which it was) they pushed was for The Crew 3 game, which bombed.

Top Bottom