• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown has underperformed, only 300,000 players so far

Camreezie

A platformer has to be really special for me to pay £40 or more on it. Nintendo sometimes achieve that.

Prince of Persia: Lost Crown is not that. I'd pay £20 max and frankly, I already have too many games to play.
Its £26 right now on PSN

Dazraell

Ubisoft should fire people responsible for their announcement trailers. They're doing more harm than good, especially when they're treating a game like Lost Crown like any other big IP that's supposed to appeal to the mass market.

Focusing on the gameplay and things metroidvania fans like would definitely lead to calmer reactions, even if the same people still wouldn't be sold on the art style and how the main character looks.
Yeah, exactly. This trailer felt like a slap in the face, not like something that should make me excited for playing it. After playing a demo and watching some gameplays I can see why they picked these scenes, but they really messed up with showcasing what this game is and why people should be excited. This just felt like a mix of Fortnite and League of Legends trailer with completely out of touch music, not a return of the long absent IP to its 2D roots

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Yeah, exactly. This trailer felt like a slap in the face, not like something that should make me excited for playing it. After playing a demo and watching some gameplays I can see why they picked these scenes, but they really messed up with showcasing what this game is and why people should be excited. This just felt like a mix of Fortnite and League of Legends trailer with completely out of touch music, not a return of the long absent IP to its 2D roots
Was a big fan of the original & warrior within. Also played the cell shaded "remake" but this one just did nothing for me.
Don't even want to touch it.

I bought it from Amazon a few days ago. It was on sale for £23.99 for the PS5 disc version. In fact, it still is. That's the price it should have been charged at in the first place.

Oh, and it should have been released on Steam at launch, too.

Last edited:
I passed on it because I didn't like the art style and the main character had that goofy killmonger haircut. I don't care if he's black. If it was a white guy with that stupid broccoli haircut young people wear I would have done the same thing. It's like when I see a game with Grace Walker in it whose character she voices inevitably has a huge afro. I mean can't you cast someone else black with a different haircut for once? To me it's racist to keep typecasting the same character look over and over. I feel the same with a guy like Troy Baker but he's in literally everything.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I passed on it because I didn't like the art style and the main character had that goofy killmonger haircut. I don't care if he's black. If it was a white guy with that stupid broccoli haircut young people wear I would have done the same thing. It's like when I see a game with Grace Walker in it whose character she voices inevitably has a huge afro. I mean can't you cast someone else black with a different haircut for once? To me it's racist to keep typecasting the same character look over and over. I feel the same with a guy like Troy Baker but he's in literally everything.
I dont care about metroidvania games to begin with, especially ones that are like $70 CDN!, but I can see a lot of PoP purists bailing. Low sales should had been expected a mile away except from UBI tards.

- $50 US/$70 CDN
- Metroidivania game
- Bright artsy style
- Promo trailer resembles anime with rap music
- Lead character is some reason a Black guy instead of Persian. There is no way anyone can claim the lead character is Persian looking

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well thanks to this thread I've just picked it up for £25......:)
It's UBI. Always expect a price dump shortly after release. Ass Creed games were crazily dumped way back when discs were the norm. They'd be $70 CDN games at the time but right after Xmas, there would tons of copies at Costco for $25. UBI would massively clear these out for 3 years in a row I saw.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

Doing My Part GIF by MOODMAN

I just got it on sale the other day. It is a shame people talk about Ubisoft being same-y and generic but games like Prince of Persia The Lost Crown and Mario and Rabbids Sparks of Hope don't sell anywhere near as well.

There is a massive disconnect between what enthusiast gamers demand vs sale figures.

Even I'm somewhat guilty getting it on sale rather than full price. I think it tells the publishers these kinds of games aren't worth the risk and aren't of value.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Doing My Part GIF by MOODMAN

I just got it on sale the other day. It is a shame people talk about Ubisoft being same-y and generic but games like Prince of Persia The Lost Crown and Mario and Rabbids Sparks of Hope don't sell anywhere near as well.

There is a massive disconnect between what enthusiast gamers demand vs sale figures.

Even I'm somewhat guilty getting it on sale rather than full price. I think it tells the publishers these kinds of games aren't worth the risk and aren't of value.
I think what people expect from the big corporations is for them to use their big budgets to make high quality new AAA IPs. Quality metroidvanias are plenty to go around and usually more like $20 games. So for UBI to make a $50 metroidvania game based on PoP and doesn't even look like PoP and their last games long time ago were 3D action/adventure games, it's odd UBI would make a high priced metroid kind of game. Make another big budget PoP game or a new IP.

KXVXII9X

I think what people expect from the big corporations is for them to use their big budgets to make high quality new AAA IPs. Quality metroidvanias are plenty to go around and usually more like $20 games. So for UBI to make a $50 metroidvania game based on PoP and doesn't even look like PoP and their last games long time ago were 3D action/adventure games, it's odd UBI would make a high priced metroid kind of game. Make another big budget PoP game or a new IP.
I thought Assassin's Creed was basically a spiritual successor to Prince of Persia which we already have a ton of games of. Wasn't the first PoP games 2D sidescrollers like PoP: The Lost Crown? Mechanically the game is very well done with a lot of content. Nintendo charged $60 for Metroid Dread and it sold fairly well. The quality seems similar between both games.

RoboEight

This is game is far better than any of their last 3D outputs. Weird people seem to think 2D = cheap game. The art direction is this game is phenomenal there are so many amazing set pieces in this game sadly they did a poor job of conveying that and I won't go into certain things for spoilers but man some of the visuals are so good. The gamelay is also excellent and the challenge is really good as well but for some may be a bit on the difficult side but it certainly captures the feel of the older 2D games shame people are gonna miss out on this game it's one of the better games this year.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I thought Assassin's Creed was basically a spiritual successor to Prince of Persia which we already have a ton of games of. Wasn't the first PoP games 2D sidescrollers like PoP: The Lost Crown? Mechanically the game is very well done with a lot of content. Nintendo charged $60 for Metroid Dread and it sold fairly well. The quality seems similar between both games.
Ya, Lost Crown is more similar to PoP from 30+ years ago than the 3D ones during the 360/PS3 generation. Lost Crown got solid reviews, but I think the typical PoP gamer was expecting something different.

Never been a fan of POP but at least the Sands of Time era, although bootsie as it was, had a flair and style about it.

This just has a low-effort generic look. Shame, since the reviews say its good.

I don't get why they thought making it look like a Fortnite Zoomer game made sense for a game trading on nostalgia for a franchise which is from the 1990's

If they made it look more like the OG people in the actual target market would have been more interested

Also why is the dude black, it's for generations older than Zoomers who don't care about playing a video game which doesn't feature a strong black protagonist

KXVXII9X

I don't get why they thought making it look like a Fortnite Zoomer game made sense for a game trading on nostalgia for a franchise which is from the 1990's

If they made it look more like the OG people in the actual target market would have been more interested

Also why is the dude black, it's for generations older than Zoomers who don't care about playing a video game which doesn't feature a strong black protagonist
I'm a millennial and I like the blocky painterly cartoon art style in games and shows like Arcane, Valorant, and Sifu. I'm not a fan of GaaS and don't play much Fortnite, but the art direction of the game is top notch. Not everyone from the same era is the same.

The character isn't black and doesn't have black facial features. It is just the hairstyle that seems out of place. You can completely change the hair style and outfit for free at the start of the game since the recent update.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Because modern day creative freedom ignores past success and tradition. They kind of just do what they want, infuse mtx to boot, and copy whatever trends are out there. You can see it with COD clones and more recently Fortnite party atmosphere vibes.

Technology evolves so I can see most games out there trying a 3D version at some point (which PoP did 20 years ago). Fallout transitioned from isometric sprite based gameplay to full 3D real time and VATs. It played different, but the mood and setting still hold true.

When game studios go rogue it'd be like Coke ditching a dark cola, red can and cursive font. instead they make the col clear, use a yellow can and an army crate font. You dont do that unless it's proven it's accepted by the audience (ie. gamers ok with Fallout being 3D),

Last edited:
Gaming has moved on, gamers won’t pay for these kind of games, unless it open world game or with a big ip attached, dont matter what it reviews, it won’t sell, shame really, love these kind of gems,

Rocinante618

Neo Member
Fantastic game, really enjoyed it. Well optimized. Satisfying combat and gorgeous art. Such a shame though that it didn't sell. Weirdly, after playing this, it reminded me of Dante's Inferno (PSP). I loved that game when I was a kid. Thought to play it again, found out I need to buy an Xbox to play it, :(

Top Bottom