• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown Releases on January 14, 2024 | Summer Game Fest

daveonezero

Banned
They're mad because it isn't Sands of Time 5 or PoP 2008 part 2, and also because the protagonist isn't the Prince. Hopefully they give the game a legitimate chance if it ends up with good ratings.
Not really I was immediately turned off because of the character designs.

I don’t care that it isn’t the prince.

It sort of won me back with the gameplay but still the characters art is bad…

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
After announcing a Remake of Sands of Time they come back 3 years later with The Fresh Prince of Persia that looks like a scrapped episode of Assassin's Creed Chronicles.....rap music included
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Rykan

Just a tip: If you find this type of game interesting but you don't like the look or style of this game:

Please go on Steam and check out the indies section. There are countless extremely good-looking, high quality action platform games/metroidvanias developed by people with genuine passion for what they are creating. It's one of the best supported genres by far.

unclbenn

game looks great but its definitely not what people were expecting. i was expecting 3d action platformer with parkour.

The artstyle is just kind of generic (and very Fortnite, as everyone has mentioned already.) I’d at least settle for the main character having a more appropriate hair cut instead of that zoomer style.

The rap music they used plus the artstyle makes me think like this is some game they thought up like 5 years ago and never changed their marketing strategy for. Either that or who ever is in charge is super out of touch.

That being said gameplay wise it looks like it could be a fun AA game (as disappointing as it is that that’s the only bone PoP fans can be thrown nowadays.) I may check it out if it ends up being any good.

Last edited:

Puscifer

WTF did they do to prince of persia....my lord.
My expectations were low and even I still couldn't believe what they did. This series had a near perfect trilogy of reboots, a great alternate game with POP 08 then... Man I think I'm done with Ubisoft like EA, they just can't release anything worthwhile anymore.

Raonak

Banned
The mobility and combat look real nice. Gives me dead cell vibes.

Big miss on the voice acting though

//DEVIL//

Eh, I liked the trailer . Gameplay looks fun.
Maybe because of the high profile name, people were expecting much more from a PoP game.

But if you take the name out, you end with a nixe gameplay of an 2D indie game. I am not sure why people are not liking it.

Too bad it's not purple haired fat man with big tits . Would have been day one ....... .... . ..... ..

RavageX

I think some of you just like to complain. You'll run and play indie games that look like a worse version of this and act like its the second coming.

This doesn't look bad at all. Not my cup o' tea, but looks pretty dang good overall.

Very polarized response. I'm on the side of it looking like a disgrace. What kind of braindead bugman finds this appealing? Lots of gaymers nowadays. Keep on raping the classics until nothing is left to rape anymore, then rape it all again.

Edder1

Dude, that hair...I just can't.

Smh, it's like there's only one character artist in videogaming and he's on a mission to make everyone look like a punk zoomer. You just know that he's gonna be another boring character with no depth when he looks like that, because people who write for charactes with that look are as bad as their character artists. Anyway, is ta Ubisoft after all so disappointment is expected.

Last edited:

Edder1

I thought Bayek was a good character 🤷‍♂️
There may be exceptions here and there, but generally character writing and design has been at its worst in the last few years. Even the best ones nowadays fail in comparison to ones in the past, hence why remakes have been the best games recently.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
wtf are people seeing here to say it looks bad? the combat and movement look great...
it's 2D.

Now i'm not saying 2D is bad... but Prince of Persia got popular because of 3D and this is just looking like a regular 2D platformer
Don't really care about the 'woke' 'gen Z' hip hop as Prince of Persia was following trends back in 2004 and 5 with Warrior Within being inspired by the nu metal edgy aesthetics of the time. It's common and it's normal, they're just doing it with trends they don't like.

if you want a fun hack and slash 2D game like this you'd probably be better off playing Megaman Zero on GBA

Last edited:
There may be exceptions here and there, but generally character writing and design has been at its worst in the last few years. Even the best ones nowadays fail in comparison to ones in the past, hence why remakes have the best games recently.
What will this game have to do story-wise to prove itself to you? Realistic answer/expectation.

This minute and 40 second trailer showed me that I could be in for good gameplay.

Edder1

What will this game have to do story-wise to prove itself to you? Realistic answer/expectation.

This minute and 40 second trailer showed me that I could be in for good gameplay.
It doesn't help when a game has good gameplay and poor story, it's just falls apart for me. This is a modern day Ubisoft game though, I expect snooze fest of a story and by the numbers gameplay. I'll be surprised if this is anything more than a 7/10.

Last edited:

Banned
it's 2D.

Now i'm not saying 2D is bad... but Prince of Persia got popular because of 3D and this is just looking like a regular 2D platformer
Don't really care about the 'woke' 'gen Z' hip hop as Prince of Persia was following trends back in 2004 and 5 with Warrior Within being inspired by the nu metal edgy aesthetics of the time. It's common and it's normal, they're just doing it with trends they don't like.

if you want a fun hack and slash 2D game like this you'd probably be better off playing Megaman Zero on GBA

the combat in this looks miles better than in almost any game of this kind...

also, no, Mega Man Zero SUCKS ASS... there I said it, and it's true.
the camera is way too close for a game with that moveset, giving you a tiny as fuck field of view, due to the low resolution display of the GBA, and Capcom's push for SNES style pixelart.
the Leveldesign was also shit...

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
also, no, Mega Man Zero SUCKS ASS... there I said it, and it's true.
the camera is way too close for a game with that moveset, giving you a tiny as fuck field of view, due to the low resolution display of the GBA, and Capcom's push for SNES style pixelart.
the Leveldesign was also shit...
01011001 hates Megaman Zero. This is a fact i wish i never knew about you.

Level design was open and fun with many secrets to explore, the Cyber Elf system gives the game great replay value and encourages exploration.
Camera is GBA issue, not a problem with the game. Besides it's a stop-and-go type of game where you run, you slash (or shoot) and you keep on running. You don't bump into things or have camera issues unless you're jumping and dashing around like a madman, and the level design is made to suit this.
Much more inspired art direction than this game with some of the most badass character designs, and a great, well thought out story.....

Wild as hell take coming from you. I know it's your opinion but i feel like you haven't touched the game in a long time.... or you're just fucking trolling.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Prince of Ghetto.
Tell us how you really feel.
I’d at least settle for the main character having a more appropriate hair cut instead of that zoomer style
How is his hair in appropriate? These hair styles are literally thousands of years old. They are not "zoomer" styles.
Dude, that hair...I just can't.
Have you literally never seen dreads or twists before?

Gamers complain about the most irrelevant shit sometimes.

I get complaining about it being cross gen trash. Or looking like a PS3 game. But hair.

Last edited:

Banned
01011001 hates Megaman Zero. This is a fact i wish i never knew from you.

Level design was open and fun with many secrets to explore, the Cyber Elf system gives the game great replay value and encourages exploration.
Camera is GBA issue, not a problem with the game.

the camera made exploring a chore, you basically can only see 2m left and right from you, and barely anything above you... that's a horrible setup for a game with a semi-open map.

and you can't just decouple the quality of the game from one of the main parts of it... the part that lets you actually look at the game world 🤨

the GBA had this issue a lot as well, as developers tried to make more ambitious games, and then often also tried to copy the graphics detail of SNES games.

Castlevania did it better, as Konami actually made the graphics less detailed and shrunk everything down, in order to accommodate the low res display.

the camera ruined the game for me. if they made a Remake with the camera scale of ZX you might have a point, but just like a narrow field of view would ruin a fast pased FPS, a narrow FOV can absolutely ruin a Mega Man game with the speed and movement similar to the MMX series, which is what happened in Zero IMO

Boss Mog

Gameplay looks really good but the Fortnite art style is probably not gonna gel with gamers older than 12. The voice acting and rap music is awful and doesn't fit. Also why are we not playing as the prince? He seems to be reduced to the damsel in distress. I'm almost surprised that the trailer didn't focus on the female immortal.

Last edited:

Just_one

I think some of you just like to complain. You'll run and play indie games that look like a worse version of this and act like its the second coming.

This doesn't look bad at all. Not my cup o' tea, but looks pretty dang good overall.

1000% this.

these are the same morons that go ape shit for vampire slayer or whatever the game was called and say its game of the year contender.

Sentenza

You do realize that in practical terms "The Main character isn't THE prince of Persia himself" changes virtually nothing about the type of vibe they are choosing for this spin-off, yes?

Also, I disliked POP 2008 (still do, incidentally) for the way the game played, not because there was a change in art style.

Last edited:
I get the impression that they've kept the style of the botched remake. Still, I'm pretty hyped about this announcement.

Last edited:

Regginator

cross gen games all the way in 2024

whelp ...

Why is that a bad thing? It doesn't look like a particularly demanding game, far from it, so it should run on last-gen well enough. It'd be another story if development was held back because of last-gen in mind, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Why the hate ? it looks awesome !! if it was made by Nintendo everyone will be praising it right now 🤔
Ain't that the truth. This doesn't look any less budget than those overhyped Mercury Steam Metroid games, moment-to-moment gameplay seems very similar. And it's not like that the actual game will have any of that shitty trailer music (I would hope).

SeraphJan

Graphic fidelity is above average, art style is subjective not going to comment on that, the gameplay seems nice, however the presentation (character and its music theme) is out of place, there is nothing Persian about it.

Overall, I'm going to pass, looking forward to Sands of Time remake

Last edited:
Top Bottom