• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown Releases on January 14, 2024 | Summer Game Fest

THIS FUCKING SUCKS!

ALL I WANT IS THE PRINCE FROM SANDS OF TIME YOU KNOBHEADS! WHY CAN'T WE HAVE SOMETHING CLASSICAL LIKE FROM A THOUSAND ARABIAN NIGHTS INTO A PERSIAN SETTING, GET SOME PERSIAN HISTORICAL PEOPLE ONBOARD. ITS SO FUCKING EASY, YET THEY KEEP ON PLAYING TO WESTERN AUDIENCES ABOUT SOME FUCKING COOL PRINCE.

MAKE IT INTIMATE LIKE LAST TIME WITH A STORY THAT HAS MYSTICISM, INTRIGUE, ROMANCE, AND AMAZING COMBAT. WHY IS UBISOFT FUCKING UP SO MUCH!
Stop yelling at me and wait for Assassin's Creed Mirage, that will do.

Kaleinc

Banned
4QZtZDN.jpg

steaming ubisoft original

Black Rock ESG design aside, I like the new attempt at PoP. It’s going back to the roots of the 2D iterations and could be good.

My biggest gripe with it is that the trailer seemed to focus too much on the combat aspect and very little on platforming.
The few platforming footages still portend something quite intense though 😌

Eimran

wtf are people seeing here to say it looks bad? the combat and movement look great...
It does actually look nice and fast paced imo. And the combat does look cool.

But in all honestly people just want a proper sands of times-trilogy sequel.

Arun1910

I love the art design and the combat looks fun.

But come ON. Making a PoP game where you don't play as the Prince? Sure, that's what we wanted.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I've watched this trailer 2-3 times now, and I'm very excited now. Jan 2024 feels too far away.

I think the gameplay will be super fun and surprise a lot of people.

Buhaj

Just a tip: If you find this type of game interesting but you don't like the look or style of this game:

Please go on Steam and check out the indies section. There are countless extremely good-looking, high quality action platform games/metroidvanias developed by people with genuine passion for what they are creating. It's one of the best supported genres by far.
Anything you would recommend for PS5?

Rykan

Anything you would recommend for PS5?
Certainly! There's quite a lot of excellent Metroidvanias on PS4 & 5 as well.

The easiest one to recommend is Hollow Knight. If you're new to the genre or just looking for the best one, that's a great place to start.

Some other recommendations in no particular order:
Record of Lodoss War
Guacamelee 1 and 2
Flynn: Son of Crimson
Greak: Memories of Azur
Axiom Verge 1 and 2
Souldiers
Sundered
Ender Lilies
Owlboy
Iconoclasts
Dust: An Elysian tail

If you haven't played them yet: Castlevania Requiem contains Symphony of the Night. Castlevania Advance collection contains the GBA games and 1 DS game. Bloodstained: Ritual of the night is the spiritual successor to Castlevania and is also available on PSN.

Last edited:
It feels like it was originally designed for mobile or maybe Switch. I wonder if they are aiming at Gen Z with this trailer?

Curious to see the reception and sales. Granted the game is not AAA so it will probably succeed. Though with current Ubisoft we have yet to see if the game even releases lol

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
That’s a ridiculous look for a prince. And that awful music is like a youtube fan awful mashup.

Douchebag of Persia maybe.

xrnzaaas

I love the art design and the combat looks fun.

But come ON. Making a PoP game where you don't play as the Prince? Sure, that's what we wanted.
That's becoming a trend unfortunately. Play PoP but not as the Prince, play Alan Wake 2 with only half as Alan, play TLoU2 but without Joel... it's a crappy way to inject new (potentially diverse) playable characters into an established IP. In my opinion the best way to introduce a new character is through single small chapters or a story expansion. If the players like them you can then make a smooth transition to make them co-leads or, better yet, give them their own games.

Kurotri

That's becoming a trend unfortunately. Play PoP but not as the Prince, play Alan Wake 2 with only half as Alan, play TLoU2 but without Joel... it's a crappy way to inject new (potentially diverse) playable characters into an established IP. In my opinion the best way to introduce a new character is through single small chapters or a story expansion. If the players like them you can then make a smooth transition to make them co-leads or, better yet, give them their own games.
In Alan Wake's defence, you can actually play through most of the game as either one.
If you want you can keep on playing as Alan Wake through the Dark Place experience almost to the end or you can keep on playing a saga almost to the end. Or you can keep on switching at every opportunity you get between them to proceed both sides of the story threads of this experience.

Astray

Gold Member
I'm kinda looking forward to this, we need more POP and this being successful could pave the way for a new 3D POP.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Just saw this trailer. Must have missed it ths first time. Honestly looks way better than I was expecting. If the combat is actually intuitive so people can actually pull off some of these moves, I'd be extremely impressed. Some brief glimpses of advanced platforming too slightly reminiscent of Celeste. I'm actually pretty optimistic about this game now.

supernova8

Banned
Just saw this trailer. Must have missed it ths first time. Honestly looks way better than I was expecting. If the combat is actually intuitive so people can actually pull off some of these moves, I'd be extremely impressed. Some brief glimpses of advanced platforming too slightly reminiscent of Celeste. I'm actually pretty optimistic about this game now.

I don't blame people for rolling their eyes when Ubisoft dropped the initial trailer with the same old pop-y hip-hop music in the background.

But yeah I totally agree. I just finally finished Metroid Dread (took me about a month on and off to kill the last boss) and would to play something similar. Doesn't look like the movement animations are quite as slick as Metroid but still some of those combos look awesome like you say.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I really liked the game as soon as I saw it, and I'll most likely play it on day one.

The gameplay looks fun! Side-scrolling metroidvania ARPGs are my jam.

I've watched some of the previews that have been shared in the past few days, and I really dig the Metroidvania-style gameplay with Prince of Persia mechanics sprinkled in.

Oh and the team behind it is the same who did valiant hearts and the rayman games (ubi montpellier have yet to disappoint so far). I think this might be a day 1 buy on Switch for me depending on how good it reviews.

Top Bottom