• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown Releases on January 14, 2024 | Summer Game Fest

Tell us how you really feel.

How is his hair in appropriate? These hair styles are literally thousands of years old. They are not "zoomer" styles.

Have you literally never seen dreads or twists before?

Gamers complain about the most irrelevant shit sometimes.

I get complaining about it being cross gen trash. Or looking like a PS3 game. But hair.

I know you quoted multiple people, but I’m not sure why you’re getting so out of shape because of hair either. But they straight up lifted the guy’s hair style from Killmonger (I’m sure it’s not an uncommon haircut irl, but come on).

Lgovd9k.jpg
cOCfhr9.jpg

The Dreads aren’t the thing that’s weird, but the side cut style looks tacky as fuck for the setting because it’s a popular style in modern times. That and the trailer music just seem like trend-following decisions instead of doing what makes sense for the game. The MC would look better with his hair down and then they could’ve done cool physics for his hair but they were probably like “fuck that we a have a budget.”

I’m just elaborating, if the game’s good I’ll play it anyways.

mcjmetroid

I think this might have gone down a LOT better without the rap song.
Like Cmon Zoomers aren't going to buy this..... your audience (you hope) it fans of 2D action games and possibly fans of the older games.
Play something from Sands of Time or something.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Have you ever noticed that almost every character in gaming is “cool” or cute except for the most famous one?

I loved Sands of Time but the endless combat just killed it for me. If they just did that but with a reasonable amount of interesting combat, they would have a winner. Why does this franchise always fail?

CGNoire

Ubisoft continues its Trend of always releasing the most Focus Tested Trailers of all time even down to the Music chose.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wait, what happened to the Sands of Time remake? I know it was in terrible shape last time we saw it, but does it still exist?

DaGwaphics

I like the look of it. There is nothing wrong with bringing back some 2D styled game mechanics. Looks like the kind of game everyone would dream about during the Genesis days.

This type of game is typically limited to just indies where things don't get fleshed out as well.

I hope it's not $70 though. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

mdkirby

I don’t get the critisism it actually looks pretty fun. But seriously, what the fuck is with that accent? Are they really trying to tell us they couldn’t find a single decent voice actor with an iranian accent? pretty sure I’ve seen stuff be called racist or cultural appropriation for less.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not really digging the "let's just use the Immortals Fenyx Rising" models/art design.

I literally almost thought it was a sequel at first.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s a new Ubisoft game every year, prince of Persia many enjoyed during thr ps2 era.

Mr.Phoenix

wtf are people seeing here to say it looks bad? the combat and movement look great...
Typical GAF...

there is no, not my style of game, not what I wanted, not what I was expecting...

there is only this is the best thing ever and this looks bad (then promptly insert things to critique that are praised in other games). The same shit happening with SM2. You will do well to ignore them.

I mean imagine this, this game looks worse than the last PoP game.. and that game was on the PS3!!!!

Anyways, I personally did this, seems like the franchise is finally going back to its roots.

Last edited:

iorek21

Black Rock ESG design aside, I like the new attempt at PoP. It’s going back to the roots of the 2D iterations and could be good.

My biggest gripe with it is that the trailer seemed to focus too much on the combat aspect and very little on platforming.

I think it looks pretty fun. As long as it's priced appropriately I'll be checking it out.

I even liked the rap song and I'm old and lame.

Drizzlehell

Banned
wtf are people seeing here to say it looks bad? the combat and movement look great...
Visuals look like a mobile game, cringe mumble rap music, prince looks like a fucking dweeb, oh and most importantly - it's not The Sands of Time remake.

Honestly, it may have the best gameplay ever but I'm not gonna touch this shit with a ten-foot pole just because the vibe is just so wrong that it's sickening. Hyperbole aside, I don't even care if they completely canceled SoT remake, but at least they should make a new game that feels like Prince of Persia and not some zoomer garbage.

Banned
Visuals look like a mobile game, cringe mumble rap music, prince looks like a fucking dweeb, oh and most importantly - it's not The Sands of Time remake.

Honestly, it may have the best gameplay ever but I'm not gonna touch this shit with a ten-foot pole just because the vibe is just so wrong that it's sickening. Hyperbole aside, I don't even care if they completely canceled SoT remake, but at least they should make a new game that feels like Prince of Persia and not some zoomer garbage.

dude... Warrior Within had the most generic edgy metal soundtrack, completely out of place.

Drizzlehell

Banned
dude... Warrior Within had the most generic edgy metal soundtrack, completely out of place.
And? We're not talking about that game here.

If Ubisoft was to announce anything new about this franchise, then they should give us something about the Sands of Time remake that was teased a few years ago. Either that or at least something that's more similar in style to it. And instead of that they give us this bullshit and it feels like a kick in the nuts.

Anyway, it's true that Warrior Within also suffered from being a product of its time but that literally doesn't factor into the conversation right now. If anything it only shows that Ubisoft never learned anything from that game.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I don’t get the critisism it actually looks pretty fun. But seriously, what the fuck is with that accent? Are they really trying to tell us they couldn’t find a single decent voice actor with an iranian accent? pretty sure I’ve seen stuff be called racist or cultural appropriation for less.

If the protagonist were white with a white voice actor gaming "journalists" would be up in arms about cultural appropiration. But if it's a British black dude playing a Persian immortal who looks like a lost Prince of Wakanda, we'll hear crickets.

Last edited:

Banned
And? We're not talking about that game here.

If Ubisoft was to announce anything new about this franchise, then they should give us something about the Sands of Time remake that was teased a few years ago. Either that or at least something that's more similar in style to it. And instead of that they give us this bullshit and it feels like a kick in the nuts.

Anyway, it's true that Warrior Within also suffered from being a product of its time but that literally doesn't factor into the conversation right now. If anything it only shows that Ubisoft never learned anything from that game.

Warrior Within had it in-game.
I bet you the music in this game will be theme appropriate.

also, conbat wise, this looks better than any game Ubisoft ever made.
the platforming also looks pretty damn good.

But I am used to users on this site not caring about gameplay and more about superficial stuff.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Warrior Within had it in-game.
I bet you the music in this game will be theme appropriate.

also, conbat wise, this looks better than any game Ubisoft ever made.
the platforming also looks pretty damn good.

But I am used to users on this site not caring about gameplay and more about superficial stuff.
That's because games are more than just gameplay.

That's why most users around here don't give a shit about Fortnite.

Banned
That's because games are more than just gameplay.

That's why most users around here don't give a shit about Fortnite.

that argument might be a good one when the rest of the game is absolutely atrocious, but that's not the case here.

the artstyle might be a bit generic, but it looks decent enough graphically...

and story was never a focus for the franchise and always at best of medium concern. as were characters, as there were multiple "Princes of Persia" over the years, all unrelated to eachother, so playing a random dood also was never really an issue.

so this seems extremely ridiculous to me.
this is a game series that originally basically had no story outside of an intro and an outro.
characters, even in the 3D era games barely had any personality that was more than just "generic hero" and "generic evil dude".
and I remember how people also shat on the extremely good looking PoP 2008, when it actively tried to look less generic than the previous trilogy.

If this was a series with an established and beloved narrative, well written permanent characters, or an established art style, I could kinda get why people would hate on it... but PoP has literally none of that.

Is this what Gen z likes? Rap music in games about ancient Persia? What happened to realism. Hopefully that's just for the trailer, but still. Does not look compelling at all.

Pop 2008 was better looking and unique game after SOT trilogy. Whelp that's one less game to get.

Fahdis

THIS FUCKING SUCKS!

ALL I WANT IS THE PRINCE FROM SANDS OF TIME YOU KNOBHEADS! WHY CAN'T WE HAVE SOMETHING CLASSICAL LIKE FROM A THOUSAND ARABIAN NIGHTS INTO A PERSIAN SETTING, GET SOME PERSIAN HISTORICAL PEOPLE ONBOARD. ITS SO FUCKING EASY, YET THEY KEEP ON PLAYING TO WESTERN AUDIENCES ABOUT SOME FUCKING COOL PRINCE.

MAKE IT INTIMATE LIKE LAST TIME WITH A STORY THAT HAS MYSTICISM, INTRIGUE, ROMANCE, AND AMAZING COMBAT. WHY IS UBISOFT FUCKING UP SO MUCH!

Thirty7ven

Banned
Can’t believe they ask 50$ for this. How about 40$? At most.

Devs need to tap into the price elasticity of games and give these AA games a real chance.

Banned
THIS FUCKING SUCKS!

ALL I WANT IS THE PRINCE FROM SANDS OF TIME YOU KNOBHEADS! WHY CAN'T WE HAVE SOMETHING CLASSICAL LIKE FROM A THOUSAND ARABIAN NIGHTS INTO A PERSIAN SETTING, GET SOME PERSIAN HISTORICAL PEOPLE ONBOARD. ITS SO FUCKING EASY, YET THEY KEEP ON PLAYING TO WESTERN AUDIENCES ABOUT SOME FUCKING COOL PRINCE.

MAKE IT INTIMATE LIKE LAST TIME WITH A STORY THAT HAS MYSTICISM, INTRIGUE, ROMANCE, AND AMAZING COMBAT. WHY IS UBISOFT FUCKING UP SO MUCH!

yeah because the buttrock in the sands of time trilogy was theme appropriate 🤣

Drizzlehell

Banned
that argument might be a good one when the rest of the game is absolutely atrocious
I guess it's not if you're into that sort of thing. But it's definitely a cop out after Ubisoft already led us to believe that there's a remake of the original classic in the works, only to pull a rug from under us with this complete 180 from what Sands of Time was.

But what do I know, I'm just an old boomer who expected something with a little more class and style of the classic Middle Eastern folk tales instead of this modernized zoomer crap.

and story was never a focus for the franchise and always at best of medium concern.
Also, this is wrong. Very, very wrong. Sands of Time has a delightful story and one of the best leading duos in gaming history, who were very endearing and had a great chemistry.

Yet another reason why having this instead of SoT remake feels like a cop out.

Last edited:

SSfox

The prince looks like some fortnite trash, and the music is dogshit. That's already a bad start, couldn't even get right the most core thing of POP franchise.

Multi billions company that have no clues about their ADN franchises, usual pathetic Ubisoft

Last edited:

Yoshi97

The rap music was out of place but c'mon you can't just write the game off because of it. Does this company have this little trust amongst gamers? Genuine question since I don't really play Ubisoft stuff much.

VN1X

Banned
Yeah I thought it looked cool too. Not sure what many in this thread were looking at.
I think it looks great but I think it's mostly the "Ubi" presentation of it along with the horrible song choice for the trailer.

The return to its roots along with, what looks like, Metroidvania elements makes me very interested in this in any case!

Top Bottom