• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TSE: Nintendo is now worth more than Sony Corp (Market Cap)

Cromat

Just looked at the financial reports for both companies. It seems that Nintendo is more profitable than Sony (the entire conglomerate) in percentage terms, though both are quite low with operating margins of 6.5% and 4.5% respectively. Profitability is a key performance indicator for investors.

2016 was a generally a rough year for Nintendo (Pokemon Go excluded), so investors are likely even more optimistic now that the company appears to be back in the console game with the Switch plus displaying greater levels of openness to new business areas with mobile, cross-play etc.

It might very well be the case that PlayStation would have done better from an investors point of view if it had been an independent company. I'll have to look on the numbers for PlayStation specifically though.

Nategc20

Banned
How is this even possible with 60 million PS4's sold?

Sony seriously need to clean up the other arms of their business, and by clean up I mean cut them adrift

Probably because literally in this order.

Switch, Pokemon, Mario, sales, IP's(splatoon, arms, mario kart, zelda, metroid), 3ds, 2ds and possibly the Snes mini?

Sony has what this year except for spidey homecoming (which is a joint venture) and the ps4?

vpance

Just looked at the financial reports for both companies. It seems that Nintendo is more profitable than Sony (the entire conglomerate) in percentage terms, though both are quite low with operating margins of 6.5% and 4.5% respectively. Profitability is a key performance indicator for investors.

2016 was a generally a rough year for Nintendo (Pokemon Go excluded), so investors are likely even more optimistic now that the company appears to be back in the console game with the Switch plus displaying greater levels of openness to new business areas with mobile, cross-play etc.

It might very well be the case that PlayStation would have done better from an investors point of view if it had been an independent company. I'll have to look on the numbers for PlayStation specifically though.

Their profit margins are low against its peers across the board I think, bar financial? Movies suck. Games is also low if you compare against software pubs. Semiconductors, high volume but low margin. And mobile and home entertainment have just begun to scrape by.

Next time someone says Sony is killing it, or fuck em they are greedy, gimme gimme, consider they are basically living pay check to pay check, lol.

jackal27

Banned

Sony seriously need to clean up the other arms of their business, and by clean up I mean cut them adrift
I mean you answered you're own question. They're in. They're in very rough shape outside of Playsation.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Switch, Pokemon, Mario, sales, IP's(splatoon, arms, mario kart, zelda, metroid), 3ds, 2ds and possibly the Snes mini?

Sony has what this year except for spidey homecoming (which is a joint venture) and the ps4?

Don't forget about merchandising and the upcoming Universal Theme Park attractions.

wildfire

Banned
More like how in trouble Sony is. This is pretty embarrassing for them. Nintendo is a company dedicated to only one industry, while Sony has its hands in many. They're a big multinational corporation. Their games division is of course doing the best, but it's real bad indicator for them as a company in general. Sadly it's only another notch on several major negative signs that the company is floundering in the last decade.
No.

Their best division is their insurance company and will continue to remain so.

Games I think is still their 3rd best but I haven't seen any news about it in the last year.

RRockman

Banned

hqdefault.jpg

Speaking of valuable IP, how much do you reckon the Pokemon IP would fetch on an open market? Hundreds of millions?

Lol no more like billions. The second biggest video games franchise of all time and all the success it has had with merchandise, movies, and anime as well as still being a household name 20 years later would fetch a pretty penny.

Also this doesn't mean that Nintendo makes more it only means they are worth more. Also a fun fact, Yamauchi was once the richest man in Japan and worth billion of dollars.

AmuroChan

More like how in trouble Sony is. This is pretty embarrassing for them. Nintendo is a company dedicated to only one industry, while Sony has its hands in many. They're a big multinational corporation. Their games division is of course doing the best, but it's real bad indicator for them as a company in general. Sadly it's only another notch on several major negative signs that the company is floundering in the last decade.

Actually, Sony is in much healthier shape than even 2-3 years ago when some analysts predicted the company could go bankrupt. The turnaround has been slow but steady and now they're moving in the right direction. As a long time shareholder, this is the best their stocks is doing in almost a decade. They still got some fat and dead weight they need to trim off, but they're definitely trending up as a company.

joe_zazen

The thing with companies like N is their stock price is sensitive to hype, as the Pokemon go surge showed. IIRC, N even issued a statement telling investors / potential investors that the surge was not warranted. Sock market psychology is a big part of what gets you market cap with high viz, consumer facing companies.

Having said that, they do have the most valuable IP in gaming and there is no reason that they wont dominate as they come to terms with mobile, GaaS, etc.

Oh sure. Very volatile stock, but not a very volatile company. I've been buying and selling their stock for years cause of this. The spikes are often sudden and the fall is predictable. This time though the baseline appears to have raised...which is why I never worried too much about buying in.

Yeah I've been following it since around 2009-2010, and it has become extremely predictable. I would agree though that the baseline has been raised with the success of their core business, and I'm very hopeful that it will not drop off like 2009-2010 again since Nintendo's long term business strategy seems far more sound now than it did back in the Wii/DS era.

I'm expecting some temporary dips after either the June shareholders meeting or the July quarterly results briefing though. Depends on whether they actually release sales numbers at either.

Usobuko

Banned

It's mobile, or rather the potential of mobile than the games you listed here.

When pokemon go was released, their valuation went up like 15b+. Supercell was sold for like 10-12b back then. The latter had 2.3b and 900m+ profit last year.

You spoke as if Nintendo traditional business is on par with current PlayStation. I highly doubt it with non existence western third parties sales and much lower subscription fees.

Either way, Japan still wins.

Good.

Japan is the biggest loser I had known since 2000s.

Lost cultural relevance, tech dominance and relegated to the few niche eastern countries westerners are in love with.

Mario 3D Land (as just one example) was developed by a team of 30 people and sold 11+ millions copies. It's clear who the kings of videogames are. Sony's studio structure is vastly less efficient/economical/profitable/successful. This disparity has to fall on one Shuhei Yoshida, who I'm starting to believe is demonstrating a gross ineptitude in taking worldwide studios to the next level

Heritage is kinda hard to overcome.

Do you think it's possible for someone to come up with star wars, pokemon or marvel equivalent in today's day and age?

Not taking away Nintendo efficiency and ability to create good games and selling them. It's thus Sony approach the business with a different model than Nintendo and Sony worldwide studios are successful in that regard.

Nategc20

Banned
Insurance? Finance? Image sensors? Music?

It's like some of you have no clue where these companies find success.
None of which are driving up their stock. Outside of insurance and gaming, Sony is a mediocre company to invest in. Been that way for years.

13ruce

Banned
Sony simply can't compete mobile gaming wise alot of their IP's are adult or 16+ content.

Mobile gaming is huge so i am sure a big part of the Nintendo market cap is because of that.

dracula_x

Sony simply can't compete mobile gaming wise alot of their IP's are adult or 16+ content.

Mobile gaming is huge so i am sure a big part of the Nintendo market cap is because of that.

sure, they can't

Bloomberg: Sony's Fate/Grand Order (mobile game) making more than Pokemon Go in Japan

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1322421

Sony's Fate/Grand Order was the #3 highest grossing mobile game worldwide in January

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1344359

also, since then Everybody's Golf, Doko Demo Issho and other titles are " adult or 16+ content."

→ http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1322850

joe_zazen

Outside of insurance and gaming, Sony is a mediocre company to invest in. Been that way for years.

Why would anyone exclude 2 of their best performing divisions in analysing Sony's future prospects?

It's a fine company to invest in as current management is quite capable.

Caronte

Indie games like Gran Turismo.

Grief.exe

Switch's success helps, but I have a feeling a lot of this is the market pricing in the future growth into mobile platforms.

The console market growth rate is set to continually stagnate as they struggle to bring in new markets and users. Investors are looking to a market 10 years from now.

Switch's success helps, but I have a feeling a lot of this is the market pricing in the future growth into mobile platforms.

The console market growth rate is set to continually stagnate as they struggle to bring in new markets and users. Investors are looking to a market 10 years from now.

Hence why the Switch is more than just a console
They merged 2 markets to create a 3rd one

rudger

Yeah I've been following it since around 2009-2010, and it has become extremely predictable. I would agree though that the baseline has been raised with the success of their core business, and I'm very hopeful that it will not drop off like 2009-2010 again since Nintendo's long term business strategy seems far more sound now than it did back in the Wii/DS era.

I'm expecting some temporary dips after either the June shareholders meeting or the July quarterly results briefing though. Depends on whether they actually release sales numbers at either.

I agree with all of this. I'm also looking forward to their dividend increasing.

One benefit of the Wii U era was watching them learn to operate with slimmer overhead costs. So while their revenue would go down, their profits didn't go down nearly as much. now they get to take those lessons forward as their revenues increase.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Sony's TV business and movie studios not doing too hot. Points to Spiderman.

From the television OT:

Sony Corp.'s resurgence in the premium TV market is starting to threaten the lead enjoyed by South Korea's Samsung Electronics Co. and LG Electronics Inc., industry data showed Sunday.

Data provided by the global market tracker IHS showed that in the first half of this year, Sony accounted for 39 percent of all TVs with a price tag exceeding $1,500, up more than twofold compared with 17.5 percent tallied by the Japanese company in the previous quarter.

In the January-March period, LG's worldwide market share in the upper-end market fell 8 percentage points from the previous quarter to 35.8 percent, placing it second. Samsung trailed at 13.2 percent, after falling 7 percentage points from the October-December period of 2016.

The numbers represent a sharp shift, because only a year ago. Samsung enjoyed a 39.5 percent market share in the premium segment, with LG and Sony trailing at 17.7 percent and 17.5 percent, respectively.

"Samsung's dominance has been shaken by aggressive promotions of organic light-emitting diode TVs by LG and Sony," an industry insider said.

He said that while the two South Korean companies still controlled the ultra-high end TV market, with the unit price of a set topping $2,500, Sony was catching up.

In the ultra-expensive TV areas, LG has ruled supreme this year, with a market share of 40.8 percent in the first quarter, unchanged from a year earlier. Sony's market share jumped 9.8 percentage points to 34.4 percent, while Samsung surrendered 12.4 percentage points to 11 percent.

Among 70-inch TV sets, Samsung held 31.6 percent of the market in the first quarter, with Sony trailing at 26.6 percent. In 2015, the gap stood at more than 20 percentage points.

Industry watchers said to counter Sony's rise, LG and Samsung have both moved into even a more value-added market and have started to improve their marketing efforts.

"South Korean companies are still leading in the cutting-edge TV arena, yet Sony is doing all it can to overtake them. This is making it imperative for Samsung and LG to stay one step ahead of their rival," a consumer electronics expert said. (Yonhap)

Sony's TV business and movie studios not doing too hot. Points to Spiderman.

Sony Pictures basically broke even last year if you don't count the one-time impairment charge they took. They aren't in great shape, but they aren't in "we need to sell off this part of the business" shape, either. The general argument is that with one major franchise that as of its last movie is on the decline (Spidey) and another that they aren't even sure they're keeping (Bond), they aren't particularly well set up for the future.

spekkeh

Banned
It turns out launching a console with a good idea and a major critically acclaimed Zelda game moves units.
Yes...but...does it make sense?!?!

Anyway +1.21% again today on a market that did -0.53%

What doesn't make sense I guess is that Sony is doing so poorly when obviously Kaz Hirai has done a lot to right the ship. I'm guessing after 15 years of crap shareholders are right to be cautious. Might be a stock that will steadily surge some years from now though.

dracula_x

Yep, it was under $10 at one point in 2012.

Mostly the same for Sony, btw. It was under $10 in 2013, now – $38.52

Wait, Nintendo is worth more than the ENTIRETY of Sony?!

Facebook is "worth" more than both combined. Yes, company that sells ads.

They aren't, it's impossible to predict something on that scale. 3-5 years more likely.

But yes, mobile will "eat" console and PC market at some point.

Ogodei

I remember Sony's struggles earlier this decade, but i thought Kaz had basically righted the ship?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Isn't Nintendo ahead in net profits (and behind in operating profits) for last year due to the aforementioned Marlins sale?

vpance

If your're going to use hindsight, then you would have been far better off buying into Netflix in 2012, or betting on Trump as president.

Yeah. Many other tech and gaming stocks are up like close to or more than 10x since that time. Sony's still struggling for 4x.

I still like the stock though. But it's a Japan play more than anything else. If you're buying for tech there's better choices.

sensi97

I remember Sony's struggles earlier this decade, but i thought Kaz had basically righted the ship?

I would take posts here about Sony current financial situation with a grain of salt. It seems many contradict each other.

If you want, check their latest results and forecasts here. Look at "FY2017 Results Forecast by Segment" in the pdf for a summary.

YaBish

The sarcasm and/or ignorance in this thread is kinda throwing me for a loop. Sony isn't about to break down as a company just because Nintendo has a slightly higher market cap.

Top Bottom