• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turn: Washington's Spies - Season 2 - Mondays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verger

Banned
I thought that was a pretty decent episode this week.
Damn fine episode it was. It's sad that no one is giving the show a chance or they bailed after the first season.

I think this is already been a much much better and more intriguing show this second season. The whole love-triangle thing with Abe has been pretty much kept off the radar where it was almost front and center in Season 1. The actual spying has been the focus along with the interesting stories of the characters.

Abe is getting a bit more interesting the further he digs deep into things and the more he has to go against his father. I really loved the whole "play acting" segment of Abe rehearsing his story to his father and Huelet and acting out their reactions.

I really liked the whole "who is lying" game with the soldier and the deserter. The culmination of it all was really shocking and you gotta admire the cunning and intelligence of Major Andre to hatch such complex schemes. He's definitely one of the most calculating villains I've ever seen.

It's such a shame the show is losing the ratings and I would just hate for it to be cancelled when it is getting good :(

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I really loved the whole "play acting" segment of Abe rehearsing his story to his father and Huelet and acting out their reactions.

I really liked the whole "who is lying" game with the soldier and the deserter. The culmination of it all was really shocking and you gotta admire the cunning and intelligence of Major Andre to hatch such complex schemes. He's definitely one of the most calculating villains I've ever seen.

I also thought that both of those sections were well done. The former was an unexpected (but welcome) moment of levity and the latter genuinely had me guessing.

Verger

Banned
Damn, Abraham's father is really Evil when he acts it. Brutal episode for Abe being beaten and all.

And damn Simcoe is just so despicably evil. Every time he's on screen I'm almost certain someone is going to die. I was all but certain he was going to do something to Anna.

Wasn't as good as last week, though for me personally that's because we had to get more screen time for Anna and Mary and I still do not find them compelling. Andre is so much more compelling to watch at least, even when it's just about his love life. But at least it's a good excuse to see more of Abigail and her trying to maneuver both loyally serving Andre and trying to be a spy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Season One:

Episode 1 - 2.12 million 0.5 A18-49
Episode 2 - 1.87 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 3 - 1.40 million 0.4 A18-49
Episode 4 - 1.29 million 0.3 A18-49
Episode 5 - 1.23 million 0.3 A18-49
Episode 6 - 1.08 million 0.3 A18-49
Episode 7 - 1.09 million 0.3 A18-49
Episode 8 - 1.39 million 0.3 A18-49
Episode 9 - 1.16 million 0.3 A18-49
Episode 10 - 1.60 million 0.4 A18-49

Season Two:

Episode 1 & 2 - 827K 0.2 A19-49
Episode 3 - 865K 0.2 A19-49
Episode 4 - 591K 0.1 A18-49
Episode 5 - 631K 0.2 A18-49
Episode 6 - 741K 0.2 A18-49

Seems like the ratings are slowly inching up.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Wasn't as good as last week, though for me personally that's because we had to get more screen time for Anna and Mary and I still do not find them compelling. Andre is so much more compelling to watch at least, even when it's just about his love life. But at least it's a good excuse to see more of Abigail and her trying to maneuver both loyally serving Andre and trying to be a spy.

I liked it more than last week, for all the things you mentioned. I actually thought Amy and Mary were well utilized this time, and Andre/Simcoe were as entertaining as ever. It didn't hurt to have an increased focus on Abigail either.

Verger

Banned
I liked it more than last week, for all the things you mentioned. I actually thought Amy and Mary were well utilized this time, and Andre/Simcoe were as entertaining as ever. It didn't hurt to have an increased focus on Abigail either.
I do agree that they were utilized better. But still I'm not entirely sure what roles they fulfill. But at least they're trying to influence things. Though I hope Anna isn't so naive as to believe Simcoe.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was a very interesting episode, from a story/structure perspective. I don't think it was entirely successful because George Washington isn't the most compelling character, but I'm glad they took a shot at something so different.

And the ending was a nice surprise. Simcoe is such an entertaining dude.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Season One:

Season Two:

Episode 7 - 760K 0.2 A18-49
Episode 8 - 723K 0.2 A18-49

Bandit1

That was a very interesting episode, from a story/structure perspective. I don't think it was entirely successful because George Washington isn't the most compelling character, but I'm glad they took a shot at something so different.

And the ending was a nice surprise. Simcoe is such an entertaining dude.

I thought the episode relied a little too much on Washington, as we were pretty sure he would choose to fight for Abe's release, but it made me wonder if Washington actually suffered from those hallucinations, I'll have to research that later. However, I thought the prison scenes were very good. Seeing Major Huellet stripped of his uniform and wig and thrown into a wooden cage was startling for a man who has had it quite comfortable in the war thus far. And again, his star gazing really makes you feel for the guy. He never wanted any of this. Oh and he stabbed Simcoe! I'm sure Simcoe will pull through though. As for Abe, he looks to be in bad shape. Long hair, unshaven, dirty and eating bread like a freaking animal. And then that racking cough. Get well soon.

Verger

Banned
Yeah, the prison scenes were very brutal and kudos to the actors of Abe and Huelet. They both gave extremely convincing performances in their respective situations. Poor Huelet even having to use the knife to cut off his gangrene/frostbitten toes was difficult to watch. Was glad to see he figured out it was Simcoe and referred to him appropriately as a demon. Was even more surprised he was able to stab him and managed to get away, though I can't imagine what he could do in retaliation officially since Simcoe is working for Andre.

I thought Washington's story was alright. Not entirely interesting but I was more captivated by his interactions with his servant rather than trying to find out what he should do and what his brother would've wanted him to do. I suppose it was necessary to give us more insights into his character and likely to build up things for not only his current actions but the likely future ones he'll have with Ben and especially Benedict.

I won't be surprised, but I will be disappointed if we do not get a third season. I have enjoyed this season a lot more than the first.

Finished watching the first season on Netflix and absolutely loved it. I'm trying to avoid spoilers in this thread but wanted to ask: do we know how many episodes are planned for season 2? Another 10?

Verger

Banned
Andre is such an interesting character in that he's created amazing schemes and plots, and yet he's so vulnerable around the lady Peggy. His own self insecurities will likely be his downfall by using her to try to lure Benedict Arnold primarily because he wants the glory to marry her properly even though she doesn't care about that.

Damn that Rogers is truly vile. He's almost as bad as Simcoe. Gotta love how he grated against Andre in that scene and got under his skin. I knew that he wasn't just going to let Rodgers walk away with all that gold. But even so, didn't think that the King himself was going to dispose of him.

Seeing Caleb dressed up as a British officer was hilarious. Abraham's determination to stay was commendable and made sense.

Loved watching Huelet walk back in on Simcoe. Been a while since I've seen two guys who just really want to kill each other pretty much burn everything between their glares.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was a lot better than last week's now that we've returned to our regularly scheduled cast.

Also, I was excited to see the egg submarine thing from the opening credits. I'd been wondering if we'd ever see it appear on the show.

Damn that Rogers is truly vile. He's almost as bad as Simcoe. Gotta love how he grated against Andre in that scene and got under his skin. I knew that he wasn't just going to let Rodgers walk away with all that gold. But even so, didn't think that the King himself was going to dispose of him.

Rogers has never connected with me, I'm afraid. I just don't feel the character at all, on any level. He's always felt tacked on to me.

Seeing Caleb dressed up as a British officer was hilarious. Abraham's determination to stay was commendable and made sense.

The entire sequence with Caleb in New York was a ton of fun. Maybe my favorite thing the show's ever done. Totally redeemed Caleb after The Great Rowboat Disaster of Season One.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Season One:

Season Two:

Episode 9 - 883K 0.2 A18-49

Season high ratings for last night's episode.

Bandit1

Just watched last week's episode and it was pretty great. I cheered when Anna pulled the headshot on that guy. That was gif worthy!

Verger

Banned
Just saw it too. That near rape scene was appropriately sickening, and all the more awesome when Anna eviscerated his balls and then blew his head off.

And lol at Caleb still getting flak for cutting his beard.

Still enough cannot be said at how evil Simcoe is. I hope his actor gets more work after this show because he can truly channel pure evil so well.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The finale is tonight!

Gunpowder, Treason and Plot

In the Season 2 finale, Abe plots to assassinate Major Hewlett; Ben fights at the Battle of Monmouth; and Benedict Arnold continues to covet Peggy Shippen.

I really enjoyed this season. Honestly would not have cared if Turn did not return after the first, but I will be disapointed if there is no third season. Everything just felt more interesting this time around. The first season, if I recall correctly, took a while to get going. I did enjoy seeing more of Hewlett and Andre, whom despite being the enemy are very likeable characters.

Hell on Wheels is still going, so why not Turn? Come on AMC.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Season One:

Season Two:

Episode 9 - 883K 0.2 A18-49
Episode 10 - 933K 0.3 A18-49

Season high for last night's finale.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Really? I never see it talked about, and didn't it air on Saturday night? If so, that seems like the timeslot of doom.

The fanbase doesn't seem to be very vocal, yeah. I'm not sure why. There are plenty of worse shows that elicit significantly higher amounts of discussion.

On the surface it initially seemed like the move to Saturdays was its death knell, but it was actually a pretty savvy decision - AMC airs westerns all day every Saturday (in the summers or something. I checked their schedule for next Saturday and they're airing Rambo all day, so I guess it's not a year round thing) and the pairing of their western show with their western films proved to be a success.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I finally got around to watching the finale. I thought it was pretty decent, although the battle at the end felt oddly lethargic. Maybe it was representative of the actual battles that took place back then ("Everyone stand in a line right out in the open and take turns firing at each other!") but it wasn't exciting in the least to watch.

Also, I wish the episode had ended differently. 'Turn' barely eked out a second season, so they would have been smart to have ended on a more conclusive note. As it is, I feel like there were too many plotlines left unresolved, on top of all the new ones they introduced:

Rogers helping Abe
Mary stepping into the spy game
Abigail, Akinbode, and Cicero possibly going rogue
The further corruption of Benedict Arnold

Their set up for season 3 is far more interesting than the one season 2 had, for sure, but there's only a small chance they'll actually get to explore any of it in a third season.

I guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

Ricker

I actually missed the last episode last Monday,great show,hoping for a replay of it this week on AMC or ill catch it somewhere else ;)

Hope it gets renewed.

Redd

Hate the lead character but love all the villians even Major Hewlett who I didn't care for in season 1. Really hope AMC renews Turn for another season.

I'd watch another season, but I agree with Ratsky that they should have ended it with a little more finality given how bad the ratings have been.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Season high ratings for the finale is a good sign, but those aren't good ratings no matter how you spin them. Had it tapered off into absolute oblivion after those terrible numbers in the middle there'd be very little question as to whether it's returning, but things are more interesting now.

A 0.2 is pretty bad though.

Verger

Banned
Hate the lead character but love all the villians even Major Hewlett who I didn't care for in season 1. Really hope AMC renews Turn for another season.
Yeah, Hewlett had the best character growth this season I thought. From explaining his more scientifically interested background to his crush on Anna and his grueling ordeal from Simcoe's betrayal. He's definitely become a great character and someone to actually root for.

And Simcoe continues to be one of the most loathsome characters on TV, and his actor really chews the scenery when he's on screen. I was actually chilled in the penultimate episode when he told Akimbode "I hate....and I love......and I don't know why". He said those words so unnervingly.

Actually Felt bad for Andre and especially Peggy, having to pretty much endure something from the Game of Thrones in order to keep her cover.

Definitely didn't expect Rogers to show up at the end there.

I thought the final battle was just fine. Yeah, it probably was slow considering the tactics used were the old way of "line up and fire" but it was pretty cool. Loved Caleb's grenade launcher. :)

I hope there's another season. Things are just getting good and it's sad that the ratings for this season were bad when it was such a much better and more intriguing season than the first.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
checked the OP, scrolled down to the English fully expecting some asshole faces, facepalmed, closed thread

Qvoth

finally watched the finale, i knew robert is going to turn after the betrayal, and i liked his character too so i'm glad :>

Ricker

finally watched the finale, i knew robert is going to turn after the betrayal, and i liked his character too so i'm glad :>

Same...so even though its not confirmed,there's got to be a third season,they cant end this like that,c'mon...

Bandit1

Just now got to watch the finale. Gah I hope we get another season. Rogers teaming up with Abe to get Andre?? We have to see this!

Amir0x

Banned
Season high ratings for the finale is a good sign, but those aren't good ratings no matter how you spin them. Had it tapered off into absolute oblivion after those terrible numbers in the middle there'd be very little question as to whether it's returning, but things are more interesting now.

A 0.2 is pretty bad though.

I think they're going to cancel it. Drop off from first season, it's clear they're already working a shoestring budget with how pathetic the battle scene was, and I don't think AMC is gonna wanna squeeze another paycheck out of a show not even hitting a million. And I like the show.

Shame.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Okay.

According to their press release, the second season was down around 400K weekly viewers from the first season but was up significantly in TVE. There was also a big rise in the show's social media presence this season - +70% in Twitter subscribers and +26% Facebook followers. This is a thing now. It's also the third most "affluent" show on TV behind Mad Men and The Americans.

Props to AMC for continuing to support their low rated shows. I guess this bodes well for Halt and Catch Fire.

Linius

Oh shit, completely missed Odd's post from yesterday. I'm actually happy it got renewed. Last season I couldn't care less. But season two was better in overall quality I'd say.

Verger

Banned
I really hope not. I want to see the showdown between new badass major Hewlett against Simcoe.
I love Huelett now. He's turned into the best character on the show and his growth from how he was in Season 1 as "The Oyster Man" who was just an "uptight" captain that didn't have much more to him was fleshed out so well in Season 2 with his Scientific background, his crush on Anna and of course his setup by Simcoe. Putting those two in a room now is just amazing how much hate you can feel radiating off of them.
Woo hoo! Glad to see it will return and we can keep on going. :D
Okay.

According to their press release, the second season was down around 400K weekly viewers from the first season but was up significantly in TVE. There was also a big rise in the show's social media presence this season - +70% in Twitter subscribers and +26% Facebook followers. This is a thing now. It's also the third most "affluent" show on TV behind Mad Men and The Americans.

Props to AMC for continuing to support their low rated shows. I guess this bodes well for Halt and Catch Fire.
I wonder if putting the show on Netflix also helped?

Kinda sucks that Hannibal wasn't put on AMC, considering how much support they give their shows despite their low ratings, and they put them on Netflix for wider audiences.
Oh shit, completely missed Odd's post from yesterday. I'm actually happy it got renewed. Last season I couldn't care less. But season two was better in overall quality I'd say.
IMO, Season 2 was a HUGE increase over the first season, both in the storyline and in the characters. Again the aforementioned Huelett, but also Andre and Akimbode and even Rodgers and Simcoe, though Simcoe is still as evil as ever. Also the love triangle wasn't overplayed unlike in Season 1 and Anna showed some much needed usefulness as well as even Mary showing signs of having more depth to her as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom