• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turok 1 & 2 re-releasing on PC; Dinosaurs coming to Steam, GOG, etc.

Syf

Banned
Probably gonna buy these tbh, I loved those games. Sure they won't have aged well at all but it'll be great to play them again.

Spladam

Yeah, here's hoping they can extend the draw distance on that old engine and decrease the fog levels, but I will be highly disapoited if it does not run at 60fps. This was my favorite FPS until Golden Eye showed up, and I have fond memories of the franchise (I bought the 4MB Ram module just so I could play the sequel in "HD" and was blown away at the time). I know it has not aged well, but I will most likely still pick it up on Steam and beat it again, as it's one of the few games I have not gone back to in emulation.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEA BAAAAAABBBBBBBBYY!

Too bad there was no PC version of Turok 3.

Maybe we will get the other Turok games on Steam at some point too?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PC versions ran 60 fps, and Turok 2 had much less fog than the N64 version. Turok 2 also had online multiplayer (via Gamespy, so it's dead now) but nobody was playing it when I tried it.

Not if someone fixes it and/or it has LAN support.

Muffdraul

Turok 2 was the game that crushed my soul and burned me out completely on the FPS genre for a few years. Eventually a certain little Xbox launch title taught me how to love again. Turok 2 was an awesome game, but goddammit Iguana. If you're going to design levels that fucking huge, then HOW ABOUT PUTTING SOME SAVE POINTS HERE AND THERE???? It's almost been 20 years. I might be able to give it another try if there's a quicksave.

I would totally be down to play Turok 1 again. For my money that was the best FPS on N64. Goldeneye can suck my fatty.

Puweyxil

Banned
Turok 2 was the game that crushed my soul and burned me out completely on the FPS genre for a few years. Eventually a certain little Xbox launch title taught me how to love again. Turok 2 was an awesome game, but goddammit Iguana. If you're going to design levels that fucking huge, then HOW ABOUT PUTTING SOME SAVE POINTS HERE AND THERE???? It's almost been 20 years. I might be able to give it another try if there's a quicksave.

I would totally be down to play Turok 1 again. For my money that was the best FPS on N64. Goldeneye can suck my fatty.

Yeah the save system in Turok 2 was awful. I also remember that if you had auto aim turned on, you had to go into the menu and turn it off to properly use the sniper rifle. Still, the game rocked my world.

That's the publisher, but the guy who remastered Powerslave and DOOM 64 by himself (I think he's also the same guy who made that DOOM 64 WAD converter) was working on Turok 1 and had a deal with Night Dive.
Should be noted that the guy in question (Kaiser) has already had a collaboration with Night Dive published - namely, Strife Veteran Edition on Steam.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
PC versions ran 60 fps, and Turok 2 had much less fog than the N64 version. Turok 2 also had online multiplayer (via Gamespy, so it's dead now) but nobody was playing it when I tried it.
Originally, no. They did not run at 60. It's possible now (with some glitches) but that's not how they were originally designed.

Also, since they used redbook audio, the more dynamic music stuff from N64 didn't make it in. Still awesome versions, though, if you had a Voodoo.

I still really enjoy Turok 2 even though the level design can be very confusing. It's still a well-made shooter that was ahead of its time in many ways.

BobLoblaw

Banned
So lemme tell you why I will forever dislike Turok 2. Back in 2000 when Perfect Dark was released for the N64. I asked my dad if I could get that game for Christmas (I was 6 years old at the time). He said sure why not. My brother (8 at the time) went behind my back and told my dad that I didn't want Perfect Dark but instead wanted Turok 2. My dad decided to not verify with me and listened to my brother and on Christmas morning when I went downstairs to open my gifts.. I open up a surprise to this damn box instead of Perfect Dark...

256px-Turok2box.jpg

I was pissed and my dad knew it too. So I had put it down somewhere in the house to later find my brother open up the damn game and started playing by myself. I will never forget that Christmas and I will never play Turok 2 again because of what happened that year.
Haha! Your brother sounds like the typical 8 year-old asshole. I know that experience well.

Best gaming news I've heard in months.

I played Turok 1 and 2 on pc earlier this year. 1 is WAY better than I remember, and 2 is much worse, which was super disappointing as I too had fond memories of the cerebral bore/etc. I think it was just because 2 is much slower and the levels much larger and more maze-like.

But what the fuck ever, I'm buying both of these for sure.

Hopefully this means Turok Evolution is also on the cards for a digital release.

Absolutely. Underrated game.

myca77

Fantastic news, loved these on the N64.

I hope they don't remove the fog completely as I remember it gave a great sense of trepidation whilst roaming around a map, even though it would have been there due to hardware limitations.

Edit:

Hope it includes big head mode, I loved the "cheat" codes in the original.

I was pissed and my dad knew it too. So I had put it down somewhere in the house to later find my brother open up the damn game and started playing by myself. I will never forget that Christmas and I will never play Turok 2 again because of what happened that year.

Sorry dude lol

Single Child FTW

Forsythia

Only played the first on PC and thought it was a piece of shit. Mostly because of the fog. Haven't touched a Turok game since then. Maybe for 5 bucks I'll try these.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Prepare for nostalgia to bone you once again. These games aren't actually any good. Okay at best back then, have aged terribly now.

bndadm

I have never seen the end to Turok 2 due to memory card corruption. This is heavenly. I love the lonliness these games had. Plus Catacombs was awesome.

jehuty

Being able to play Turok 1 & 2 at proper frame rates will be a blast. The part I'm really looking forward to is when Modders get their hands on the games. Just give me the Turok games with the vegetation of say crysis and I'm definitely a happy camper.

Anyone know what the system requirements will be for the games?

Ithil

Both games have aged fairly well, especially Turok 2 (though the levels are overly large and long). Great weapon and enemy variety in both.

Now THIS is a really good idea.

There's actually a half implemented Co-op mode in the N64 game!
You can enter a cheat in the menu, if I recall, that activates it. Problem is, entering teleporters freezes the game.

It shouldn't be a whole lot of work to get it into the PC version, if they want to bother.

Whether it aged well or not, I'd get both for nostalgia purposes. I'm already liking the less fog that it has. Hopefully it has native controller support.

I can't wait. I was all about Turok back in 98. I tried replaying it recently and all the memories came flooding back, even those tedious jumping sections, specifically the level with all those god damn pillars hovering over a bottomless pit...
But still, awesome game.

I'd rather this game live on in my memories as looking much better than it really did. Seeing this game in high resolution would just ruin my memory of it. I can not imagine the gameplay or visuals aged well at all. Methinks I'll pass.

illadelph

So lemme tell you why I will forever dislike Turok 2. Back in 2000 when Perfect Dark was released for the N64. I asked my dad if I could get that game for Christmas (I was 6 years old at the time). He said sure why not. My brother (8 at the time) went behind my back and told my dad that I didn't want Perfect Dark but instead wanted Turok 2. My dad decided to not verify with me and listened to my brother and on Christmas morning when I went downstairs to open my gifts.. I open up a surprise to this damn box instead of Perfect Dark...

256px-Turok2box.jpg

yo that sucks.

like, Turok 2 is a cool game, but Perfect Dark is one of the best games ever

Top Bottom