• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV GAF: Hey GAF what you been watching? September Edition

Kadayi

Banned
As we don't seem to have any dedicated TV threads I figured I start one and list out a few shows I've been watching of late. General thoughts and specifics in spoilers: -

Jack Ryan (Amazon Prime)

Wasn't necessarily expecting much and didn't have any real knowledge regarding this before going in, so I was pleasantly surprised for the most part. A competently made Thriller, though it felt pretty contrived in places and albeit I can appreciate that the writers wanted to give some sense of understanding and background to the antagonist it was a bit too broad brush for my tastes. I hope in future seasons (Amazon have already confirmed a second) that the writers move away from trading in stereotypes and introduces a bit of actual personality to the characters beyond the superficial. Spoilers below: -

The writers really did try and hang a lot the blame for the antagonists' backstory on the idea that he was marginalized by the French during his youth and played up this idea of French racism as a justification for his actions, which I felt was a bit unwarranted. They even go so far in the X-ray notes to castigate the French for having the temerity to not recognise peoples backgrounds citing the recent Trevor Noah incident as a case of France 'dis-infranchising' people.

The story about the Drone Pilot was just bizarre, firstly with the whole cuck incident, secondly with him getting a Turkish Taxi Driver to take him into Syria to the exact location he bombed. I suspect that season 2 will pick up that particular narrative, but even so ...what was with the cuck bit? Was it just to get some boobs on screen?

I think they pushed the serendipity envelope a little too far with Ryan's new girlfriend being the one to flag up the Ebola thing.

The case of the disappearing special forces operative. When Ryan and Bunk head to Paris they have Matice with them, but weirdly he's completely absent when they're attempting to intercept Suliman's Brother in the Alps. I figured maybe he was killed in the Paris Apartment raid, but apparently not given he turns up later. There's no explanation given as to his absence and given he's the special forces dude, you'd have thought they'd want him around given his skillset.

The writers did a poor job of obscuring why Suliman wanted the hostages. As soon as the Ebola corpse came up it was an obvious play.

Serendipity again with the broken container of radioactive material. Without that coming to light they'd have been SOOL.

Also fairly sure their final plan was ripped straight out of one of the later season of 24...

I did like the use of game chat to keep in communication under the radar.

Ozark Season 2 (Netflix)

Overall I enjoyed season 2. Beforehand I did say to myself that I'd spread watching it out over a week, but that soon went by the wayside and I binged it like a fiend on Saturday. Some of the beats were fairly obvious, but the writers also did pull off a couple of good rug-pulls. I think they've left themselves in a good position for a third season, however, I can't envisage at this juncture how they'd go beyond that given how tight the noose is getting around the bird families necks. General thoughts and specifics in spoilers: -

I liked the twist that Darlene Snell came out on top and that Jacob was the one to die because she has always been the worst timeline given her nature. Jacob could be reasoned with, her much less so.

With that said there didn't seem to be any real reason why she spiked the Heroin. That felt like some really unnecessary boat rocking, coupled with part of said spike happening to end up in Rachel's hands (what are the odds..).

The Baby thing was pure runaround and it was clear as day that Darlene would end up with the preacher's child. Could have been resolved much quicker with way less drama.

Killing Cate (Ruth's dad) made a tonne of sense, leaving his clearly executed body in the middle of the road however much less so

giphy.webp

Better Call Saul Season 4

I was pretty down on the first season of BCS because it didn't seem to be going anywhere, however, it's much improved since and season four continues this trend as it parallels the gradual transformation of Jimmy McGill into Saul Goodman with Mike Ehramntraut's slow transition from retired cop to right-hand man and fixer for Gustavo Fring, and the rounding out of events prior to Breaking Bad. General thoughts and specifics in spoilers: -

I think the writers have done a great job with slowly building out the character of Nacho. Early on in the show he just seemed like your typical thug, but as times gone on it's become more and more clear that he's less and less enamoured of the criminal life he's fallen into and it was kind of heartbreaking when he realises that having thought he was getting himself out poisoning Don Hector, he's even more trapped now Gustavo has him. Also, that scene in episode 3 with the bag was pure nightmare fuel. Albeit we never see Nacho is Breaking Bad (although Saul does mention him when he mistakes Walt and Jesse for Cartel Hitman) I have to wonder whether he's actually dead by the time the events of Breaking Bad start or whether he might turn up in the flashforwards towards the shows eventual conclusion next season.

Anyway, what you been watching GAF?

Last edited:

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
World of Dance, America’s Got Talent, Jersey Shore, 24-Hours to Hell and Back, Paradise PD, Always Sunny, Great British Bake Off, Disenchantment

I’d love to lie to you and say World of Dance was for my girlfriend, but that is a show that I got HER into. Best show, man.

Paradise PD was a surprisingly decent show.

Disenchantment was meh.

Great British Bake Off continues to be the GOAT of cooking shows, new hosts are totally fine (Noel is great).

Always Sunny’s first episode was a dumpster fire...but that ending saved everything.

AGT is just filler with the GF, I more or less don’t like any acts this season outside of Shin Lim and the “Cirque with little girls” group.

Edit: to reclaim some of my manliness, I’m waiting for GoT to come back with the fury of a thousand suns.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Disenchantment was meh.

Yeah. I'm with you on that. I was expecting Fantasy Futurama level comedy and it just never hit. I bailed around the halfway mark and haven't felt the urge to return. The comedy felt pretty leaden versus the pace of Futurama.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Been watching Better Call Saul...it's more of the same this season but still love the show. I'm almost beginning to think I like it more than Breaking Bad because it feels more focused and there are no characters in it i dislike.

Watched the first few episodes of Ozark season 2 so far. Don't particularly love the show but it's enough to keep me watching.

going through the office for my first time casually.
taking care not to binge Ozark - watched the first eps so far.
tried watching Mayans, couldnt get through the first 30 minutes

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
New series of Great British Bake Off just dropped on Netflix (new hosts and a new judge) so my wife has been embroiled in it. I like watching because she and I both will pick out recipes that we want to look up later and attempt ourselves (I'm quite good at bread; she's quite good at everything else).

finowns

Finally watched the Tudors. Watched Jack Ryan. I didn't know Ozarks S2 was out, I really enjoyed S1.

bitbydeath

Handmaids Tale (Season 2)
I’m hate watching this series.
The writing is quite awful. June has the mental capacity of a three year old and I’m surprised she didn’t accidentally strangle herself with her own umbilical cord at birth. The show is about only few women being able to have children in the world and for some reason those who misbehave get sent to a place to die slowly of radiation poisoning which makes no sense since they’re relying on these women to keep the human race alive. More on June’s stupidity though. Every episode she does something without thinking. The latest probably requires a spoiler tag.
June has escaped and is in hiding. 1. She gets scared thinking someone is after her and hides in a room with the door wide open and keeps no eyes on the door. 2. She’s supposed to be hiding in a factory and then goes ahead and turns all the lights on. 3. She still responds to the people who freed her with ‘under his eye’. A religious saying of those that held her captive. 4. After breaking down about people she doesn’t know dying (she already knew what occurred in the world) she then collects there stuff and say a prayer. You stupid bitch, have you learned nothing?

Better Call Saul (Season 4)
Decent so far, Saul’s story this season should have occurred two seasons ago instead of stretching out all that Chuck nonsense.

Ozark (Season 2)
Only 3 episodes in, probably the best show I’m watching right now. Buddy is awesome.

bucyou

Impractical jokers, comedy knockout and football mostly.

I watch jersey shore, the challenge, supernatural and on weekends LivePD with my wife

Last edited:

I finished Jack Ryan last night and I thought it was absolutely fantastic. The only odd thing was Jim Halpert.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Ozark Season 2
I didn't like it as much as the first season, but it was still really good. Excellent performances all around. Really enjoyed a lot of the secondary characters that popped up this season, especially the lawyer and the assistant to the rich guy. But, I feel like Season 2 didn't deliver on the satisfying pace and unexpected bursts of violence from the first season. Those surprise moments gave the show an incredible sense of momentum and tension. A lot of the stuff that happened this season felt more predictable and less satisfying. It also felt like they built up this tension all season between the Snells and Cartel that didn't have a satisfying consequence. I also felt like this season kinda jumped the shark with that sudden, stupid kidnapping plotline. Other than that, solid season that left the Byrdes in an interesting place for season 3. Though I feel like at this point the third season should be the last. Don't know how they can stretch out this conflict any longer than that without it just getting ridiculous.

Artistic

Power, Survivor's Remorse, and OITNB. Haven't been too much TV lately, but definitely have an extensive backlog I'll need to tackle down.

Geki-D

Banned
Better Call Saul, the second part of this season's Fear The Walking Dead. This years season of Saul is feeling a bit slow, i want to say it's still early but with only 10 episodes, we're already halfway through and not all that much is going on. FTWD is FTWD, it's more engaging, imo, than TWD but he's still pretty by the numbers.

xrnzaaas

I've finished with Jack Ryan this week. Cool and entertaining show, only the
drone pilot's
storyline was pretty much a filler, I hope they won't make a crazy twist from it in season 2.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I hope they won't make a crazy twist from it in season 2.

You know they absolutely are. There didn't seem to be any good reason for it other than setup. IIRC the guy said that he was a pilot, so that's gotta have some sort of payoff. With these sort of shows, they're not dropping a detail like that unless it has some purpose in service of the story in some way.

xrnzaaas

You know they absolutely are. There didn't seem to be any good reason for it other than setup. IIRC the guy said that he was a pilot, so that's gotta have some sort of payoff. With these sort of shows, they're not dropping a detail like that unless it has some purpose in service of the story in some way.
That's what I'm afraid of. As much as I love shows like "24" I often get annoyed by the insane twists just to keep the tension and the action again. I'm not totally against that particular storyline returning and continuing to develop in Jack Ryan S2, but I hope it won't end up being some crazy conspiracy or another carefully planned terrorist attack. :)

KonradLaw

Almost done with Season 4 of The Flash. It might be because I'm marathoning it with 2 episodes per day, while previous seasons I watched week by week, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Most fun I had with Flash since Season 1. I really like the humor and more focus on relationships between characters and Ralph Dibny is pure joy to watch. He elevated the entire show for me.

Last edited:
Struggling to find time to watch anything lately.

I have Castle Rock ready to go but dont have the time.

Naked and afraid XL is probably the only thing we are watching consistently atm (other than Dora the explorer, Nella the princess knight, Kiva can do and bubble guppies)

I’m proper lttp on this but just started season 3 of black sails. Such a great show. Slow start in season 1 but it’s picked up. I’m sad to see it only got 4 seasons though :(

As a comic book fan I've been trying to finish up some loose ends on Luke Cage S1 and JJ S2 to no avail. Wondering why Daredevil got the short end of the stick when it was Netflix's best Marvel show. Which sucks because the Daredevil parts in the Defenders were the best parts in the whole series.

Looking super forward to The Gifted S2 which starts in a few weeks though.

edit: I've also been catching up on Orville which is surprisingly kinda good. It's actually not that bad and kinda fills a TNG hole.

Last edited:

Pallas

Currently watching the third season of Broadchurch that stars David Tennant in a British crime drama where Tennant plays as a detective.

Kadayi

Banned
Just started watching Iron Fist Season 2. The Writing and the fights seem much improved from season 1 (which was definitely a drag), and they've evened out Danny Rand as a character but I wouldn't say it's super compelling at this juncture in terms of plot.

I liked Jack Ryan but I agree about that subplot that went nowhere. I gave the Mayans MC show a shot, and I'm interested to see how it'll go. I recorded The Purge TV show, but the movies started going downhill since the 3rd film for me and not sure if I'll like the television series. Paradise PD is stupid and funny and I am enjoying the show and a lot of the jokes, so I mean it as a compliment. 90 Day Fiance is a fun show, too. It's insane how most of the couples have trouble and so much drama.

Joe T.

Better Call Saul's my favorite of the shows I'm currently watching. I was a huge fan of Breaking Bad and this prequel series hasn't disappointed. Bob Odenkirk, Rhea Seehorn, Jonathan Banks, Michael Mando, Giancarlo Esposito, Michael McKean and all the side characters put forth a fantastic performance.

Decided to give Ballers another shot. Had dropped it after the second season because it was shallow and nowhere near as entertaining as Entourage, which is what I assume HBO/Wahlberg were chasing. Still a mixed bag that's more eye candy than anything else, never short on beautiful women and expensive cars. Dwayne Johnson may have the mainstream appeal, but Rob Corddry's the real star of the show.

Gave Sharp Objects a chance because its director is a local that impressed me with Big Little Lies, a series I initially expected to hate (the whole heavy-handed feminism angle). Thought Amy Adams delivered a really strong performance, as did most of the supporting cast, and liked that it was set in a tiny, rural town with as much time spent on the lead character as the "whodunnit" story. Strange, yet compelling. Great use of music, too.

DVR'd Jim Carrey's Kidding series premiere tonight, early reviews sounded promising, so I'll probably dig into that soon as well as The Deuce's second season.

Been watching Better Call Saul and i'm loving this season. It wouldn't shock me if it was called "Better Call Mike", but the more they focus on my favourite character the better.
Been thinking about it, maybe they could do a prequel to BCS telling the early story of Mike, but they'd have to get another actor, so i'm not sure how that'd play out.

Kadayi

Banned
Preacher.

If you are not watching it you are missing out.

Yeah I thought Season 3 was pretty good. The first one was all over the place but the second got back on track and the 3rd has built on that. My concern is whether AMC will see it though to a fitting conclusion.

MilkyJoe

Yeah I thought Season 3 was pretty good. The first one was all over the place but the second got back on track and the 3rd has built on that. My concern is whether AMC will see it though to a fitting conclusion.

Yeah , i don't want this one milked to the point of not bothering to watch it anymore.

Kadayi

Banned
Yeah , i don't want this one milked to the point of not bothering to watch it anymore.

The thing that goes always amuse me is that the main Actors are all English so its a little jarring to see them being interviewed and them talking with their real voices, and I say that as a Brit. Plus the actor who plays Cassidy used to be in a soap opera, it's hard to unsee.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

The thing that goes always amuse me is that the main Actors are all English so its a little jarring to see them being interviewed and them talking with their real voices, and I say that as a Brit. Plus the actor who plays Cassidy used to be in a soap opera, it's hard to unsee.

Don't tell me which one, He's Cassidy to me

bitbydeath

I thought 'Safe' (Netflix show) was a bit jarring hearing Michael C. Hall (Dexter) talk with a British accent.
Nothing wrong with the accent, just unusual hearing it from him given I'd only ever seen him on Dexter before. (Safe is a great show tho BTW)

Been watching some Columbo lately :messenger_grinning::messenger_grinning: S15 around the 80's or so. Gotta admit I'm kind of enjoying it so far. Also been watching Homicide S2.

It's always weird watching shows from the 80s or 90s because it's like there was this weird trend going on for a while where a lot of actors looked like regular people. In other words it's not like today where 90% of the cast in a tv show is really, really, really, ridiculously super model good looking.

Like Dennis Franz would not have made it as an actor post 2000s.

Finally finished Legion S2 yesterday. Really enjoyed the 1st one, 2nd was more of the same, which normally isn't a bad thing, but this time I started getting tired of it. Hopefully next season will change the formula, I don't think I can sit through another 10/11 episodes of the same thing.
Thanks to who pointed out that Preacher S3 was already out there, somehow I completely forgot about it.

Kadayi

Banned
Wrapped up Iron Fist: Season 2 . Have to say very much improved. The first season was pretty lamentable, not least because Danny was a fairly unlikeable whiny character and the fights were extremely hokey (the Drunken door guard was fucking tragic and don't get me started on the spider woman sequence...).
Firstly with the change of show-runner, the Writers rejuvenated the character of Danny making him much more likeable, building off the more constructive Danny Rand he played in Luke Cage 2 (versus double down on the stupid Defenders Danny Rand). He's certainly a long way from being cool, but he's no longer infuriating to watch so I consider that a positive.
Secondly, the writers also build on the Colleen & Misty friendship that sprang up as a result of the events in the Defenders and Luke Cage 2 to good effect.
Without getting into spoilers I think they did a good job wrapping up events from Season 1, whilst simultaneously setting up season 3 and for the most part, avoided too much hokeyness along the way.

thequestion

Ozark season two. This and Glow, are the best Netflix original shows imo, and while season two of Ozark is not quite as strong as season one, it’s still a good watch. The way the storyline is going, I can’t see this show going beyond three seasons.

Tried Jack Ryan. First episode was good. Next day I watched the second episode.... zzzzzzzzz. Don’t think I’ll continue with it.
Jim does an alright job, though.

Kadayi

Banned
Tried Jack Ryan. First episode was good. Next day I watched the second episode.... zzzzzzzzz. Don’t think I’ll continue with it.
Jim does an alright job, though.

It's only eight episodes so you might as well see it through. It's kind of Homeland-Lite crossed with 24. I'm hoping that Season two will be a step up.

Akuza89

Fresh prince of bel air

pretty self explanatory... I've never watched from episode 1 to the end no idea what made me do it just wanted to?

My hero academia

catching up with the English DUB as I read the manga which I'm up to date with.

Usually a lot more, but all the tv shows are off until mid October. Sooo I'm stuck.

Second season of Atypical

I feel like this is Netflix's overlooked show. Good actors and the show is willing to go interesting directions. I liked the second season, but they spent too much time on the other characters and sometimes their plots feel cliched or just uninteresting. The show still works best when centered around Sam, as it does in its final episode which is particularly strong. The therapist is barely in this season and she was one of the better parts of the first season. Hopefully she's back as a regular in the third season, which I presume will happen.

Nymphae

Banned
Cut Netflix last month because I was so sick of their content, the Originals, the removal of user ratings and the constant pushes for me to check out their garbage shows I'm not interested in.

All I have now is whatever I can find on the internet, and Amazon Prime up here in Canada. It's basically all I use if I want to watch TV. Right now I'm watching Married...With Children, classic.

thequestion

It's only eight episodes so you might as well see it through. It's kind of Homeland-Lite crossed with 24. I'm hoping that Season two will be a step up.

Alright, I’ll give it another shot.

I’m also going to try Iron fist season 2..... heaven help me...

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I’m also going to try Iron fist season 2..... heaven help me...

As I said in my earlier post I thought it was much improved. I wouldn't say it's a must watch, but I think if you're invested in the wider narrative of the Netflix Marvel shows then I'd say it is worth watching.

Top Bottom