• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV GAF: Hey GAF what you been watching? September Edition

Nymphae

Banned
Apparently now he's a Senior Marketing Manager, Amazon Game Tech based on his Twitter

Huh, I wonder if he still does any podcasts. I always liked the way he ran the show, he was a bit of a cornball but he seemed like a genuinely nice guy with a ton of enthusiasm.

clem84

Gold Member
I've been slowly making my waythrough Enterprise. S1 was mediocre. S2 much better. S3 awesome. I'm half way through S4 and it's great so far.

Just got into Bodyguard (BBC) and whooooo boy this show runs circles around Jack Ryan. WTH is BBC doing? This show could be a major hit in the U.S

Kadayi

Banned
Just got into Bodyguard (BBC) and whooooo boy this show runs circles around Jack Ryan. WTH is BBC doing? This show could be a major hit in the U.S

It's not too MotR like a lot of BBC drama? Someone at work said they were enjoying it, but then they watch a lot of garbage TV like suits so I take their recommendations with a pinch of salt. If you were going to compare it to any other shows where would you place it in terms of originality, writing, characterisation and direction? I mean how does it stand versus Breaking Bad, Ozark or Homeland Season 1?

Snoopycat

Banned
Watching the new season of Ozark. The last season was better, but only because it was something new. The biggest problem I have is it really really wants to be up there with Breaking Bad. It'll never come close because the writers keep pulling back so the characters just aren't good enough. Walter was a nice guy who made stupid choices which eventually lead to him becoming a monster. Bateman's character starts off as a boring, self righteous asshole and hasn't evolved past that.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Better Call Saul Season 4 - five episodes in and this season has so far taken a nosedive in quality. Sauls story drags on forever, Kim barely gets attention at all and it´s too much focus on Mike and Gus. The one thing I liked with this show was that Gilligan & co managed to avoid prequel problems and separate it from BB in a good way, yet have the show firmly planted in its roots with nice call backs. But now it´s full on transition to Breaking Bad and it´s hurting the characters that don´t have any affiliation with BB.

The pace is too slow and boring and it just feels like they are trying to drag out the inevitability of events, such as Sauls transformation, as much as possible because they don´t want to end it. Either that or they don´t know how to do it. Breaking Bad had the same issues in season 5. Chuck is also sorely missing, that´s for sure. And as last bit of complaint, the introduction of Gael Boetticher was totally ruined by being totally casual, just assuming that everyone who watches this show also have watched Breaking Bad.

Kadayi

Banned
Better Call Saul Season 4 - five episodes in and this season has so far taken a nosedive in quality. Sauls story drags on forever, Kim barely gets attention at all and it´s too much focus on Mike and Gus. The one thing I liked with this show was that Gilligan & co managed to avoid prequel problems and separate it from BB in a good way, yet have the show firmly planted in its roots with nice call backs. But now it´s full on transition to Breaking Bad and it´s hurting the characters that don´t have any affiliation with BB.

The pace is too slow and boring and it just feels like they are trying to drag out the inevitability of events, such as Sauls transformation, as much as possible because they don´t want to end it. Either that or they don´t know how to do it. Breaking Bad had the same issues in season 5. Chuck is also sorely missing, that´s for sure. And as last bit of complaint, the introduction of Gael Boetticher was totally ruined by being totally casual, just assuming that everyone who watches this show also have watched Breaking Bad.

Firstly I believe that the show has one more season after this, so they are on a clear path now in terms of a conclusion point. Secondly, this show was never intended to be a watched before Breaking Bad. It might be a prequel in terms of timeline, but it's a sequel in terms of watching. Doing otherwise would be the TV equivalent of watching the first 6 Star Wars films in sequence. Personally, I'm intrigued as to what happens to Kim, and to Nacho. I'm also very interested in the Jean timeline and what is going on there.

Watching Norm's new show. Real funny and much like his YT pod, except they cut out a lot of the fat and prolonged skits. I wish the joke section was longer though. The Drew Barrymore episode is the best so far.

Kadayi

Banned
American Vandal: Season 2 (Netflix).

Highly recommended. I think they did an excellent job building on the approach they took in Season One without going to the mat of parody as much as they did with that particular storyline versus rounding out the characters a bit more and playing it straight for the most part, with the occasional comedic observations from Sam that just hit it out of the park every time. I'm not sure how long it's possible to run with the premise of the show, but I'd definitely be up for a third season.

I really like in the final part where Sam has to butt in and ask Kevin about whether he did deliberately shit his pants in the interview, just to confirm his theory that he was straining from earlier in the season :messenger_tears_of_joy:

cryptoadam

Banned
BoJack Horsmen, the best Netflix show
Its Alwasy Sunny, still kicking around
And soon South Park and Survivor.

Thats got me covered.

It's not too MotR like a lot of BBC drama? Someone at work said they were enjoying it, but then they watch a lot of garbage TV like suits so I take their recommendations with a pinch of salt. If you were going to compare it to any other shows where would you place it in terms of originality, writing, characterisation and direction? I mean how does it stand versus Breaking Bad, Ozark or Homeland Season 1?

It's mainly like Homeland S1 minus the Brody family. The main character David has a family but they are more or less kind of in the background. It also has more action than Homeland S1 but the action scenes it does have are very well done with great tension. There's one action scene in particular that's really, really, freaking good. It's one of the best I've seen in TV. Production wise you can really tell BBC spent some money on this, there's some bad CG explosions in one or two places but otherwise there's a wide variety of sets with large amounts of extras, etc.

Without spoiling anything though it's not as clear cut as Homeland, there's a lot more political intrigue where everyone is mercurial, everyone is hiding something. The dialogue writing is very well done for the most part.

I'm only three episodes in out of six but I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far, I like it way more than Homeland S1. I only have one minor complaint really.
They spend a lot of time with Julia and David having sex, like holy shit they fuck like rabbits.

The show also has a 100% fresh rating from rotten tomatoes out of 16 reviewers.

Kadayi

Banned
It's mainly like Homeland S1 minus the Brody family. The main character David has a family but they are more or less kind of in the background. It also has more action than Homeland S1 but the action scenes it does have are very well done with great tension. There's one action scene in particular that's really, really, freaking good. It's one of the best I've seen in TV. Production wise you can really tell BBC spent some money on this, there's some bad CG explosions in one or two places but otherwise there's a wide variety of sets with large amounts of extras, etc.

Without spoiling anything though it's not as clear cut as Homeland, there's a lot more political intrigue where everyone is mercurial, everyone is hiding something. The dialogue writing is very well done for the most part.

I'm only three episodes in out of six but I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far, I like it way more than Homeland S1. I only have one minor complaint really.
They spend a lot of time with Julia and David having sex, like holy shit they fuck like rabbits.

The show also has a 100% fresh rating from rotten tomatoes out of 16 reviewers.

On your recommendation, I've started it up. Only halfway through the first episode, but that opening sequence was pretty fucking gripping it has to be said.

On your recommendation, I've started it up. Only halfway through the first episode, but that opening sequence was pretty fucking gripping it has to be said.

Yea the train scene had great tension. Your in for a treat because that's not all.

Also Keeley Hawkes has aged like fine wine and Richard Madden got swole as hell for this role.

edit: One thing that kinda bugs me is David's situation with his wife
he's a freaking hot (10/10) as hell action hero and she's gonna dump him for some jabroni on the side?? WTF? He has issues but it's not like he's an asshole or beats her or anything.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Yea the train scene had great tension. You're in for a treat because that's not all.

Also Keeley Hawkes has aged like fine wine and Richard Madden got swole as hell for this role.

edit: One thing that kinda bugs me is David's situation with his wife
he's a freaking hot (10/10) as hell action hero and she's gonna dump him for some jabroni on the side?? WTF? He has issues but it's not like he's an asshole or beats her or anything.

Well, I'm all up to date on it now and I have to say its been pretty enjoyable so far. Good recommendation. Spoilerific thoughts below

I do have a gripe in that David seems to be a complete Billy No Mates. Outside of work and moping after his estranged wife, he doesn't seem to have any life. Obviously, they can't pack everything in, but there needs to be some sense that he's more than just a broody ex-army with occasional PTSD moments.

As regards the wife, after 10 years and a couple of kids, I dare say the novelty of getting ploughed by Rob Stark probably wore off.

Anyway intrigued by the plot in terms of what's going on behind events. I think David is ultimately fucked though when it inevitably turns out that he knew Rooftop Assassin because there's no way he can explain away not revealing a previous connection in his interviews.

Last edited:
I watched Marvel's The Punisher, then The Defenders, and then Jessica Jones Season 1 and 2, followed by Iron fist Season 1 and then Luke Cage season 1. I did everything backwards, I know. I'm just more of a Daredevil fan, and Punisher after his debut on DD's S2. I plan on watching The Defenders again as there were many things I did not understand (like the first episode).

Now, Luke Cage Season 2, followed by Iron Fist S2.

Breakage

Watching The Great British Bake Off on TV at the moment because there's nothing else on. I can't stand how everyone is so smarmy on this show; they all look like a bunch of Guardian readers.

Catphish

One Strange Rock from Nat Geo.

Produced by Darren Aronofsky and narrated/hosted by Will Smith, it is my new favorite nature show. If you're clueless, watch the trailer. It's utterly magnificent. 👍👍

bigedole

Wife and I just started Rescue Me after finishing Downton Abbey. Liking it so far, enjoy complex characters but the show is constantly reminding me that no one would make a show like that in this day and age, heh.

Keeping up with Better Call Saul, which we love, and Fear the Walking Dead, which is more of an eh why not kind of a show for us. We've been huge fans of TWD, despite the disappointments the last few seasons have been we're still hooked, and I think Fear just gets a free pass based on that.

Excited to start Survivor in a couple weeks! Love me some Survivor.

Woffls

Just caught up with Dragon Ball Super eng dub and it is the absolute hypest shit ever. It's nice to look forward to something but damn is it Saturday yet?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
250px-The_colony_title_card.jpg

latest

Kadayi

Banned
Finally got around to watching the season Finale of BBCs Bodyguard

Overall very tense and enjoyable conclusion even though it definitely stepped over the credulity threshold it had been skirting around for most of the season.

I expect given the insane ratings (highest watched Uk drama in several years) they'll likely be a push to make a further season, but I think it would be hard to capture lightning in a bottle twice within the framework of the current formula: -

I don't think they could run with Budd being a Bodyguard anymore after the events of that season, but there's no reason that couldn't roll him into the same unit as Sharma & Rayburn investigating things as well as keep the pot boiling on the political stuff on the side

Also currently watching Maniac on Netflix, which feels very 'Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind' and 'Her' in terms of territory which is no bad thing. Emma Stone is fantastic. Less convinced about Jonah Hills leading man status, however.

Watched the season premieres of the Gifted and Lethal Weapon. The Gifted was kind of a snooze fest.

Lethal Weapon was actually kind of alright, I just kind of grew attached to the previous partner. Stifler was kind of doing his usual thing, he's basically the same character from the Rundown.

Kadayi

Banned
Wrapped up Maniac. Overall I found it very engaging but I think it got a little too convoluted and muddled towards the end, and albeit I wouldn't say it lost me, it felt like an odd vehicle given some of the overly comedic moments juxtaposed against some real soul searching at times. Emma Stone was very much the shining star in the equation and although I get what Jonah Hill was going for in terms of character I think the mumbling quiet nature of his delivery made it sometimes quite hard to understand what he was saying and that undermined the moment to moment engagement at times. Still overall a worthwhile watch.

Kadayi

Banned
Is this the TV thread, or can we make threads for individual shows?

If you want to make an OT, go for it. The main problem is uptick which is why I just made a general one for this month. Mayhap as more people come back there will be enough activity to sustain individual threads.

TFGB

Spent the whole day/night yesterday watching both series of BBC’s Happy Valley.

Fantastic cast with loads of familiar faces and Sarah Lancashire excels in her role. It has everything...laughs, tears, romance, drama, a touch of violence/gore, and a good sprinkling of humour throughout.

Role on series 3.

Snoopycat

Banned
We been watching that Haunting thing on Netflix. I like Luke and Nelly but the rest of them are a bunch of sour faced dicks. It makes me hope the house wins.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Norsemen on Netflix.

I would have skipped over it as another medieval drama/bandwagon show but it started autoplaying in the background as Netflix does now. Realized what a weird and cool comedy it is by watching the "atteshtup" scene from the very first episode where the old guys debate jumping off the cliff.

Top Bottom