• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Currently watching season two of Breaking Bad; saw the first several years ago and never got around to continuing with it.

This is really gunning for a spot next to Big Love for most irritating cast. I'd enjoy it being the Walt and Saul Hour, but man, nearly everyone else is the character equivalent to chewing tinfoil. Please kill off Jane and Jesse asap. :\

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Currently watching season two of Breaking Bad; saw the first several years ago and never got around to continuing with it.

This is really gunning for a spot next to Big Love for most irritating cast. I'd enjoy it being the Walt and Saul Hour, but man, nearly everyone else is the character equivalent to chewing tinfoil. Please kill off Jane and Jesse asap. :\

The fuck?

Davey Cakes

Still working my way through Farscape. Just finished Season 3. This show has its ups and downs but always finds ways to hit the right notes and keep the viewer invested.

Where the plot went in Season 3 (more so the latter half), mostly in terms of what happened to Crichton, was very interesting at a point and, shall I say, even thought-provoking. The show started to have a way of getting the viewer to appreciate character situations and dynamics more than I expected.

Plus, as a sci-fi show it's just plain fun and has a generally likable cast of characters.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The fuck?

Is Jesse supposed to be a likable character? Useful? Entertaining? He's dumb as a box of rocks, an endless screw-up, always complaining and whining, and a junkie to boot. Where's the episode that has Walt planting a bullet between Jesse's ears? I'll skip to it right now.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Is Jesse supposed to be a likable character? Useful? Entertaining? He's dumb as a box of rocks, an endless screw-up, always complaining and whining, and a junkie to boot. Where's the episode that has Walt planting a bullet between Jesse's ears? I'll skip to it right now.

I don't want to say too much, but in season 2 he was definitely entertaining. His scenes provide a lot of the comic relief then. In my opinion of course, I just don't see how he did anything to be hated so much by that point.

faridmon

The American
What an amazing show. Haven't finished it yet, but all of it is meticulously planned and wonderfully excited. The family life is also pleasantly drawn to have its own share of enjoyment on top of the spy elements.

The Returned
This French TV show has a great premise and the atmosphere and the overall plot line just oozes with originality and morbid enjoyment. The problem is its pacing. The plot moves slowly and while its quite thrilling to see real foot work being done, the balance between entertainment and reality is somehow off. The overall story is great so I am not complaining that much.

UrbanRats

Jesse grows a lot as a character.
His dumbass nature in the first 3 seasons is a necessity for its evolution in the later ones.

Just watched Community from start to finish, first time I had seen it. First two seasons are amazing, though quality towards the end of the second did start to slip a bit (paintball was still amazing though). Seasons 3 and 4 are a mixed bag, in ways it feels like a knockoff of seasons 1 and 2, same content but the magic is disappearing. Still better than a lot of comedy shows out there.

So what's up with Luther? IMDB says "It's a cop show," and GAF says "It's got Idris Elba!" but you need to do a bit more than that to sell me on it.

Quick pitch?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
So what's up with Luther? IMDB says "It's a cop show," and GAF says "It's got Idris Elba!" but you need to do a bit more than that to sell me on it.

Quick pitch?

Nah that's basically the pitch.

I haven't finished the first season yet, but it's Idris Elba as a cop, and there's a new case every episode. There isn't much more to it, but it's really good at what it does, great acting, music, and characters.

oni_saru

Finished Supernatural season 5 yesterday.

I have to say this was probably the best season. Each episode got better and better till the very last one. The final episode was half okay half not that great.

I've heard this is where I should probably stop since seasons 6+ aren't as good. But of course I'll continue. I hope they aren't as bad as people make it to be. I really want more Winchester bro shenanigans and hopefully more Castiel and Crowley!!

Finished Supernatural season 5 yesterday.

I have to say this was probably the best season. Each episode got better and better till the very last one. The final episode was half okay half not that great.

I've heard this is where I should probably stop since seasons 6+ aren't as good. But of course I'll continue. I hope they aren't as bad as people make it to be. I really want more Winchester bro shenanigans and hopefully more Castiel and Crowley!!

Season 6 feels meandering and pointless, but with season 7 and especially 8, the show found its focus again. If you're enjoying it for the characters and the mythology isn't that important to you, keep watching.

TripOpt55

I'm still working through Alias. Just started Season 4. I'm enjoying it though the way they have handled some of the overarching storylines is frustrating.

Vert boil

It's one of those evening when you want to watch the best that television has to offer... Musical Episodes!

botbk0bt0.gif

"Oh, there's gonna be a battle, all right. Battle of the bands."

Watched the two Xena musical episode and have the Buffy ep lined up next. Might do Scrubs as well.

:3

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
So I've been marathoning Dexter the past few weeks and just finished season 5. So far the only season that I found weak was the middle of season 3, otherwise the show still seems to be going strong (I really liked 5). How does the show hold up from here?

So I've been marathoning Dexter the past few weeks and just finished season 5. So far the only season that I found weak was the middle of season 3, otherwise the show still seems to be going strong (I really liked 5). How does the show hold up from here?

If you really liked 5 you may be ok with season 6, but IMHO it was horrendous. 5 and 6 seem to be regarded as trash by many (including myself). Season 7 was a return to decency and so far the 8th and final season has been pretty predictable but it's not terrible. We shall see how it really ends though.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Season 6 has literally one redeeming quality imo. Season 5 is miles better than 6, marathoning it might be help though.

Parks and Recreation is a really great show that nails the comedic aspects, but every single bit of the mopey relationship parts of the show are at odds with the tone. In fact, I'd even go as far to say that the endless web of romantic interests and characters fawning over other characters just so they can break up several episodes later is depressing more than anything.

This show is pretty much about a bunch of quirky, lonely people having an existential crisis. And that would be fine, and even interesting, but the show never runs with that. It hints at it from time to time and then it's back to being a great comedy. So I feel like there is at least some sort of identity crisis within the show.

big ander

Parks and Recreation is a really great show that nails the comedic aspects, but every single bit of the mopey relationship parts of the show are at odds with the tone. In fact, I'd even go as far to say that the endless web of romantic interests and characters fawning over other characters just so they can break up several episodes later is depressing more than anything.

This show is pretty much about a bunch of quirky, lonely people having an existential crisis. And that would be fine, and even interesting, but the show never runs with that. It hints at it from time to time and then it's back to being a great comedy. So I feel like there is at least some sort of identity crisis within the show.

uh when does this happen in the show, really?
Leslie and Ben have been in a committed relationship for 3 seasons basically. Andy and April too. Ron's been in a happy relationship for a full season now and there's every indication it'll be long term. Jerry is with the Gergich's of course.

the only characters not in relationships are Ann and Chris (who have been very obviously angled to be in one for a while now) and Tom. Tom they put through relationship stuff but mainly so he can grow up in other ways, which has been his series arc.

The show is...literally nothing like you described it. It's positive and optimistic to the core. On pretty much any other sitcom you could make the argument that the constant relationship drama hints at something darker underneath. Parks is truly the one network sitcom that I don't think you could say that with because at every corner they've opted to grow into stable relationships (the complete opposite of what every other sitcom does). There is no endless web of romance and no one but maybe the 3 characters above are mopey about their love lives. And not even those 3 are lonely. Nearly everyone's paired up and everyone is in this sitcom standard makeshift family unit. Honestly don't think you could have described Parks more inaccurately.

uh when does this happen in the show, really?
Leslie and Ben have been in a committed relationship for 3 seasons basically. Andy and April too. Ron's been in a happy relationship for a full season now and there's every indication it'll be long term. Jerry is with the Gergich's of course.

the only characters not in relationships are Ann and Chris (who have been very obviously angled to be in one for a while now) and Tom. Tom they put through relationship stuff but mainly so he can grow up in other ways, which has been his series arc.

The show is...literally nothing like you described it. It's positive and optimistic to the core. On pretty much any other sitcom you could make the argument that the constant relationship drama hints at something darker underneath. Parks is truly the one network sitcom that I don't think you could say that with because at every corner they've opted to grow into stable relationships (the complete opposite of what every other sitcom does). There is no endless web of romance and no one but maybe the 3 characters above are mopey about their love lives. And not even those 3 are lonely. Nearly everyone's paired up and everyone is in this sitcom standard makeshift family unit. Honestly don't think you could have described Parks more inaccurately.

I think you're wrong here. I'm at the beginning of season three and so far we've had Leslie pining after Mark even though they had a fling ages ago. Leslie dating the cop and not leaving Indiana to meet with him in San Diego. Tom trying to actually hook up with his green card wife. Anne breaking up with Andy. Anne dating Mark. Anne breaking up with Mark. Andy and April. The nonsense with April breaking up with her bisexual lover (and technically his boyfriend too, I suppose). There is a ton of relationship garbage in this show and almost no one seems the least bit fulfilled or happy even when they're with the person they thought they wanted to be with.

I think the show stretches believability too. I'm supposed to believe that all of these people are magically falling for one another in some sort of tangled web simply because they're in close proximity to one another? It's just an easy out for the writers. I could believe maybe one inner-office romance, but all of these? No fucking way. It's cheap.

Not to say that I don't like the show, but the writers are running out of ideas when they're dangling the romance carrot of "will they or won't they" in front of the viewer.

big ander

I think you're wrong here. I'm at the beginning of season three and so far we've had Leslie pining after Mark even though they had a fling ages ago. Leslie dating the cop and not leaving Indiana to meet with him in San Diego. Tom trying to actually hook up with his green card wife. Anne breaking up with Andy. Anne dating Mark. Anne breaking up with Mark. Andy and April. The nonsense with April breaking up with her bisexual lover (and technically his boyfriend too, I suppose). There is a ton of relationship garbage in this show and almost no one seems the least bit fulfilled or happy even when they're with the person they thought they wanted to be with.

I think the show stretches believability too. I'm supposed to believe that all of these people are magically falling for one another in some sort of tangled web simply because they're in close proximity to one another? It's just an easy out for the writers. I could believe maybe one inner-office romance, but all of these? No fucking way. It's cheap.

Not to say that I don't like the show, but the writers are running out of ideas when they're dangling the romance carrot of "will they or won't they" in front of the viewer.
The Tom and April stuff you list is mostly played for laughs, particularly April's bisexual lovers. Mark is...a problem. And he's solved soon. And from there– people are pretty fulfilled. You'll see.

That's certainly relationship drama–it's a necessity in a sitcom–but it's really not an obtuse amount. And while that may all be there at the beginning of season 3, this appears to be your first time through the show and trust me when I say: Parks plays "will they or won't they" less than every single other sitcom on network and broadcast. I'd say it is the least withholding show on television, full stop. It is less afraid of stasis and stability for its characters than any other show.

On the more specific suspension of disbelief complaint: how many sitcoms have you seen before? You really think that relationships forming between the main cast is stretching belief and lazy? Pretty silly, mainly because the alternative is to dampen the relationships between all the main cast members and then follow each one individually into shorter relationships that have little effect on the lives of the other cast members. Not exactly a great idea to pull characters apart and keep them from interacting on an ensemble comedy.

The Tom and April stuff you list is mostly played for laughs, particularly April's bisexual lovers. Mark is...a problem. And he's solved soon. And from there– people are pretty fulfilled. You'll see.

That's certainly relationship drama–it's a necessity in a sitcom–but it's really not an obtuse amount. And while that may all be there at the beginning of season 3, this appears to be your first time through the show and trust me when I say: Parks plays "will they or won't they" less than every single other sitcom on network and broadcast. I'd say it is the least withholding show on television, full stop. It is less afraid of stasis and stability for its characters than any other show.

On the more specific suspension of disbelief complaint: how many sitcoms have you seen before? You really think that relationships forming between the main cast is stretching belief and lazy? Pretty silly, mainly because the alternative is to dampen the relationships between all the main cast members and then follow each one individually into shorter relationships that have little effect on the lives of the other cast members. Not exactly a great idea to pull characters apart and keep them from interacting on an ensemble comedy.

The UK version of The Office handled relationships the best and the US version of the same show was completely ruined by just one relationship. And, to be frank, I actually prefer your idea of pulling characters apart and keeping them from interacting because I have never worked in a workplace environment where so many people from different backgrounds were all buddy-buddy. It is highly unbelievable. I don't think it's lunacy to state that a lot of people wouldn't hang out with their coworkers outside of work if they were paid to do so.

big ander

The UK version of The Office handled relationships the best and the US version of the same show was completely ruined by just one relationship. And, to be frank, I actually prefer your idea of pulling characters apart and keeping them from interacting because I have never worked in a workplace environment where so many people from different backgrounds were all buddy-buddy. It is highly unbelievable. I don't think it's lunacy to state that a lot of people wouldn't hang out with their coworkers outside of work if they were paid to do so.

You prefer the idea of...having less chemistry and more cold, fruitless relationships, and you don't want to see people be friendly in a shared environment.

So...I don't think you really understand how dramatic/comedic conflict functions or the situation comedy form at all.

You're literally asking for all sitcoms to instead be dedramatizations with crushingly realistic and impermanent personal interaction.

Stop watching sitcoms maybe

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

This happens with US sitcoms because of the crazy amount of episodes they need to make.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
You prefer the idea of...having less chemistry and more cold, fruitless relationships, and you don't want to see people be friendly in a shared environment.

So...I don't think you really understand how dramatic/comedic conflict functions or the situation comedy form at all.

You're literally asking for all sitcoms to instead be dedramatizations with crushingly realistic and impermanent personal interaction.

Stop watching sitcoms maybe

You apparently don't understand The Office UK. It was meant to be "crushingly realistic", whatever that really means.

big ander

You apparently don't understand The Office UK. It was meant to be "crushingly realistic", whatever that really means.

No, I understand the office UK and he's wrong about that too. the dirty secret is that the office UK wasn't that realistic. It set itself apart by relying on cringe humor and a very efficient documentary conceit (one the US version ruined by being on for too long, the way the UK version handles the framing device is exponentially more graceful) but the show still relied on sitcom-style workplace relationships particularly between Tim and Dawn. The Office UK definitely purposefully dedramatizes moments, it definitely searches for that specific type of awkwardness Gervais/Merchant shows are known for, it definitely plays against form in large swaths– but elements still rely on sitcom suspension of disbelief.

Anoesis

Neo Member
Recently finished (Marathoned)
Fringe, I wish netflix would put up the last season already!
Star Trek : Enterprise , shame it only lasted 4 seasons

Currently watching

Orange is the new black
Star Trek : Voyager
and Under the dome, Read the book, not sure if I like watching it as a show, I rather watch this in one sitting as in movie or watch all the episodes in a marathon.

I watched the first two episodes of Treme in the past few days, and I have to ask - does it become something more than a political screed, at some point? I'm giving it a shot because The Wire was a good show (though overrated in the television pantheon; there are other shows, such as The Prisoner, that eclipse it as televisual art), but thus far, all I've seen is alot of political rants, alot of "authentic" musical performances, alot of swipes at tourists and faux-sympathy from a wider world that doesn't actually care what the REAL New Orleans is, etc., but very little in the way of actual depth and characterization. I was tempted by the fact that it's reputed as a show with little plot, relative to The Wire, and as I tend to think that plot is the most superfluous part of most tales, that intrigued me. Yet having recently been watching a good many movies by Ozu - a master of stories that put characterization, depth, and communication at the fore, over plot - Simon's writing comes across as blunt and obvious, by comparison. That's not to say there aren't a few good lines, or scenes, but mostly, what's happened has been aimless and unengaging - save for WTF moments, like Clarke Peters's character
killing a dude at the end of the second episode

Yet, while the series seems to be nowhere near The Wire in terms of popularity/acclaim, I've seen some on this forum claim it to be as good, or even BETTER. The creator's pedigree excited me, yet I'm left disappointed, thus far. How far into this do I have to go before getting to something truly worthwhile?

Joseca

Banned
I recently finished the first season of Game of Thrones.
Fuck
Shame on me I missed it when it was on TV, I guess I can catch up to watch season 4 when it airs, this show is so awesome. Big spoiler
I didn't actually expect that Ned would die, I mean, I thought he'd be the main character through all the seasons, but man it was so fast :( fuck Joffrey

And I'm like five episodes away of finishing Malcolm in the Middle, it's surprising how it holds up well all the seven seasons.

I watched the first two episodes of Treme in the past few days, and I have to ask - does it become something more than a political screed, at some point? I'm giving it a shot because The Wire was a good show (though overrated in the television pantheon; there are other shows, such as The Prisoner, that eclipse it as televisual art), but thus far, all I've seen is alot of political rants, alot of "authentic" musical performances, alot of swipes at tourists and faux-sympathy from a wider world that doesn't actually care what the REAL New Orleans is, etc., but very little in the way of actual depth and characterization. I was tempted by the fact that it's reputed as a show with little plot, relative to The Wire, and as I tend to think that plot is the most superfluous part of most tales, that intrigued me. Yet having recently been watching a good many movies by Ozu - a master of stories that put characterization, depth, and communication at the fore, over plot - Simon's writing comes across as blunt and obvious, by comparison. That's not to say there aren't a few good lines, or scenes, but mostly, what's happened has been aimless and unengaging - save for WTF moments, like Clarke Peters's character
killing a dude at the end of the second episode

Yet, while the series seems to be nowhere near The Wire in terms of popularity/acclaim, I've seen some on this forum claim it to be as good, or even BETTER. The creator's pedigree excited me, yet I'm left disappointed, thus far. How far into this do I have to go before getting to something truly worthwhile?

i gave up during season 3.

there is some good character drama in there but a lot is also really boring to sit through. and once i saw i had like 6 episodes recorded on the dvr (lmao there was a joke about this in 30 Rock, it was mindblowing) and i had absolutely had no willpower for months to sit through any i just quit.

get used to that annoying radio dork rambling on about "REAL new orleans. authentic sounds yo"

the highlights are the lady who owns the bar, bunk's character, the druggy guy and his violinist girlfriend.

Matt Zoller Seitz's discussion on it while marathoning through S3 captures much of what I feel about Treme. It's not for everyone, but I really like it:
Co-created by Simon and Eric Overmyer, Treme is one of the subtlest, most life-affirming, and defiantly life-size dramas on TV: a crazy quilt of modern urban life that’s not afraid of the lyrical interlude, the pregnant pause or the unresolved emotion. Unfortunately, those same qualities explain why it has remained a best-kept secret for three seasons and is being hustled off HBO’s schedule rather unceremoniously. (The cable channel green-lit a truncated fourth and final season, with just five episodes instead of the standard ten.) Aside from a couple of ongoing subplots, Treme lacks the pulpy action/crime hooks that power other critically acclaimed cable dramas. And unlike its partner-in-dramatic-rigor, Mad Men, it eschews glamour and doesn’t give us any clearly defined main characters to latch onto and fantasize about.

It’s not just an ensemble show, it’s a stubbornly democratic one. It settled on particular characters, some more emotionally accessible than others, and insisted that we consider all of them equally important and valuable, even if they’re going through uneventful patches or acting like ninnies. As in the films of Robert Altman — a major inspiration on Simon’s career — Treme believes that some of the most profound realizations and changes happen in between the “big” moments, often inside people’s minds, and that oftentimes these shifts can’t be articulated without sounding like self-serving lies or greeting-card homilies. That said, if you watch a whole season of Treme in a couple of chunks instead of piecemeal, as I did this year, then let it sit for a few days, certain themes emerge and coalesce into — well, not a statement, exactly; maybe take is a better word: a take on cities and the people who inhabit them.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Been watching Sherlock on Netflix. Good stuff.

It's nice seeing John "Cowboy" Hall again.

i gave up during season 3.

I gave up halfway through season 2. Too depressing, the characters were mostly annoying, and I really got sick of hearing how wonderful New Orleans is/was.

Finished 30 Rock.

Motherfuck, what a great ending. The episode before the last one was already so perfect (
Liz's kids are Jenna and Tracy basically!
) that I worried the actual last one is gonna be a bit redundant, but nope. Also perfect.

I watched some of Drunk History last night for the first time. Pretty damn funny show.

In other news, the LA Review of Books put together an article on the recent Martin and Sepinwall books:

- Kill The Leading Man: Two Histories of 21st Century Television
Phillip Maciak on Difficult Men : Behind the Scenes of a Creative Revolution: From The Sopranos and The Wire to Mad Men and Breaking Bad and The Revolution Was Televised : The Cops, Crooks, Slingers, and Slayers Who Changed TV Drama Forever

It took two weeks for this thread to get a new post since my last one? Wow, this place is dead.

I started season 3 of The Sopranos. I keep hearing how the first two seasons are the good ones and then the quality keeps getting worse after that, so I'm interested to see what happens.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It took two weeks for this thread to get a new post since my last one? Wow, this place is dead.

I started season 3 of The Sopranos. I keep hearing how the first two seasons are the good ones and then the quality kept getting worse after that, so I'm interested to see what happens.

Most TV show posts now seem to end up in the ridiculous number of show-specific OTs or the Netflix thread.

As for the Sopranos, well, I personally wouldn't be able to take anyone's opinion seriously knowing that they believe the show peaked in season two. Then again, there are plenty here who would have you simply stop watching, say, Battlestar Galactica two-thirds of the way through or that no good TV existed before premium cable, so foolishness clearly isn't isolated.

Sopranos Season 3: Jeeeez, who thought CG'ing Olivia was a good idea? Not only did the scene look terrible, there was no reason for it to exist. Tony could have just gotten the phonecall he got later and that would've been it. I'm kind of baffled here that the creators looked at the scene and thought it was okay.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Been going through the first season of The L Word the past few days. Started off pretty shaky (the two pilot episodes come off as cheap early '90s direct-to-video fare) but it picks up solidly after that. A bit amusing how similar this is to Queer As Folk in terms of plot and characterization, at times lifting wholesale from that series, but I suppose as part of the "serious" LGBT television boom, some repetition was to be expected.

Taking a quick look at reviews from back in the day, it seems I'm not alone in thinking one of the lead characters, Jenny, is absolutely detestable and from the sound of it, the writers make no attempt at fixing that throughout the entire series run. In a way, that's strangely commendable, given that this sort of needy, selfish, manipulative personality can and often does factor into our lives, but unlike in real life
the writers can opt to have her murdered in the final season. Hah!

There's plenty of full frontal nudity and sex scenes for you perverts, some dark humor scattered around, and the writing/acting's good so far. I won't claim this can fill a hole left by Orange Is the New Black, but there are some shared themes, and you could do a lot worse if you're after a drama to watch.

TripOpt55

I just finished up Alias for the first time. I enjoyed it, but it was definitely a bumpy ride particularly in the last few seasons. I thought the series finale was pretty great though and I was happy with how it wrapped up generally. I may make up a LTTP thread with some more in depth impressions.

More criticism discussion from Matt Zoller Seitz:

- There Has Never Been a Better Time for TV Criticism
If you appreciate good TV, this is a fantastic time to be alive. If you appreciate good writing about TV, ditto. There seems to be consensus on that first statement, but not so much on the second — at least if writers of thinkpieces are to be believed.

In these pieces, recaps — or, as I prefer to call them, overnight reviews — represent the totality of TV criticism in some minds, even though they represent a small percentage of the often-fascinating work that’s out there right now, and even though the overnight review can itself be as provocative and artful as any other kind of criticism. Recent articles in The LA Review of Books, Bookforum, and The Wall Street Journal have nice things to say about aspects of TV crit, but they also sound notes of disappointment and alarm, and in places they feel like a revisit of last spring’s handwringing “Recaps: Bad for journalism, bad for art?” debate, which I wrote about here.

At this point, I find the whole discussion exhausting and frustrating, because it’s too often approached from a misguided and in some ways ignorant angle— one that presumes, or accidentally suggests, that overnight reviews somehow represent TV criticism itself, and that TV critics as a species aren’t trying hard enough to attain the lofty heights once scaled by the great literary, theater, and film critics.
More via the link.

Vert boil

Finished watching Harvey Birdman again a few days ago. Still fantastic.

I haven't seen most of the original shows that the characters are from so I'm watching Magilla Gorilla at the moment.
It took a while for me to really start enjoying it without having to give it a chance due to it's age. From the tenth episode it became an amusing show.

Oh Magilla...
:3

magila35ouuq.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom