• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Princess HD officially announced.

Zero²

Wow thats freakin lazy port.
Here's what an amateur been doing alone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSDVY6Q9pfk
Looks terrible to me, if anything it would be better if they cellshaded the game, I remember some guy doing that some time ago and it looked really cool. Besides I remember how Hyrule Warriors looked when revealed, and then how it looked at launch, not that I think it will look better, just that it could very well do so.
Anyway, I hope they added gyro aiming!

Rival

Gold Member
I don't care too much about the graphics. They will be fine for me with increased resolution and widescreen. I'm mainly excited to finally play this with standard controls. I hated the wii versions waggle controls and just couldn't get into it. And I love the amiibo! Preordered.

guek

Banned
I think Tantalus, the developer behind the critically acclaimed Funky Barn, being the guys porting it says it all. Keep your expectations in check. If it were being done in house by EAD like Wind Waker HD or maybe even by Grezzo, I'd expect a lot more but with Tantalus at the helm doing the grunt work, it's pretty clear that this is just a quick and dirty port with minimal improvements and not a complete remaster.

RPGCrazied

I'm just excited to play this on my HDTV without it looking like a hot mess. Not everyone has a computer than can even run dolphin. So with that, this version is already superior to the GC/Wii versions.

jmizzal

Looking back at what Tantalus said back in Feb this game was suppose to come out this year.

From Tom Crago (Tantalus)

"We’re doing that. It hasn’t been announced, but it will be soon. And can I just further add to the mystique and say that it’s big. It’s the biggest thing we’ve ever done. And it’ll come out this year, and I hope it won’t disappoint."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=999971

http://nintendoeverything.com/tanta...ng-out-this-year-studios-biggest-project-yet/

Now that I think about it, the reason they were so quite on it was the fact that it was a Nintendo 1st party game and Nintendo doesnt like you to blab lol.

I think it was mostly delayed for the 30th anniversary and also prob needed more time. So i'm guessing it was gonna be a Summer and while Zelda U was gonna be Fall, but Nintendo pushed both to next year to give them more time and to come out for the 30th anniversary.

This is def not a rushed port like some people were claiming

FyreWulff

Wow thats freakin lazy port.
Here's what an amateur been doing alone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSDVY6Q9pfk

That's Twilight Princess if it came out on the original Xbox with overdone spec and lightbumps.

Holy crap, the Wii/GC versions of this game had mirrored maps? I only played the Wii release and somehow never heard of this before O_O.

This is going to be weird now.

Yep, the Wii version was mirrored from the original GameCube version, to put Link's sword in his other hand.

Davey Cakes

I think Tantalus, the developer behind the critically acclaimed Funky Barn, being the guys porting it says it all. Keep your expectations in check. If it were being done in house by EAD like Wind Waker HD or maybe even by Grezzo, I'd expect a lot more but with Tantalus at the helm doing the grunt work, it's pretty clear that this is just a quick and dirty port with minimal improvements and not a complete remaster.
People seem to think Tantalus's port of Deus Ex: HR was excellent.

Powerwing

Looking back at what Tantalus said back in Feb this game was suppose to come out this year.

From Tom Crago (Tantalus)

"We’re doing that. It hasn’t been announced, but it will be soon. And can I just further add to the mystique and say that it’s big. It’s the biggest thing we’ve ever done. And it’ll come out this year, and I hope it won’t disappoint."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=999971

http://nintendoeverything.com/tanta...ng-out-this-year-studios-biggest-project-yet/

Now that I think about it, the reason they were so quite on it was the fact that it was a Nintendo 1st party game and Nintendo doesnt like you to blab lol.

I think it was mostly delayed for the 30th anniversary and also prob needed more time. So i'm guessing it was gonna be a Summer and while Zelda U was gonna be Fall, but Nintendo pushed both to next year to give them more time and to come out for the 30th anniversary.

This is def not a rushed port like some people were claiming

I don't think myself that it's a rushed port but the result is disappointing (i already played It on Wii) with almost 2 years in the oven . But then we only had a short trailer. I just hope there is more than what was showed. Nonetheless great game for folks who didn't play It at the time.

jmizzal

People seem to think Tantalus's port of Deus Ex: HR was excellent.

A lot of people dont know that Tantalus and Straight Right are the same company

Deus Ex:HR is the best 3rd party game on WiiU, they also did Mass Effect 3 WiiU both are great, ME3 also has good online.

These guys are not just Funky Barn devs

The features were nice, but the framerate was godawful.

I didnt notice awful framerate playing it, also the PC/Xbox one and PS4 versions of DE:HR DC were bad since they were not developed by Straight Right, while the WiiU version was great

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I really expected to see someone actually post these in the thread, guess I'll take care of it. Let's talk about these instead of youtube screengrabs.

wiiu_zeldatphd_scrn_04po4r.png

wiiu_zeldatphd_scrn_0xurk3.png

wiiu_zeldatphd_scrn_0tnqou.png

wiiu_zeldatphd_scrn_0y0ozt.png

wiiu_zeldatphd_scrn_00nony.png

wiiu_zeldatphd_scrn_02hopw.png

wiiu_zeldatphd_scrn_0nzpec.png

wiiu_zeldatphd_scrn_06oo6o.png

wiiu_zeldatphd_scrn_0ncpqj.png

wiiu_zeldatphd_scrn_1f8rkn.png

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

EAD (EPD) and Aonuma's group are obviously involved (production, music) as they are in all their external outsources. Obviously Nintendo is not reprogramming any actual game elements this time, so Tantalus can do the rest really.

Anth0ny

Those screens look as good as you can realistically expect for a project like this. It's a cleaned up version of an ugly game.

Now please get rid of the loading zones in Hyrule Field, give us a bigger fucking wallet from the start so there aren't so many useless rupee chests, and fix the damn intro/unskippable dialogue/forced tutorials. Also orchestrated music. Thanks.

FyreWulff

Those screens look as good as you can realistically expect for a project like this. It's a cleaned up version of an ugly game.

Now please get rid of the loading zones in Hyrule Field, give us a bigger fucking wallet from the start so there aren't so many useless rupee chests, and fix the damn intro/unskippable dialogue/forced tutorials. Also orchestrated music. Thanks.

This, but mostly the original game forgetting that you picked up items and having the tutorial text each time

Getting rid of that alone would be a huge improvement

Doctre81

The biggest difference between this and the WW HD port is the huge use of bloom lighting and color changes made to WW HD. The funny part is that a lot of people COMPLAINED about those changes and now they want those same changes for TP.

I loved the bloom and color changes in WW HD BTW.

The M.O.B

The biggest difference between this and the WW HD port is the huge use of bloom lighting and color changes made to WW HD. The funny part is that a lot of people COMPLAINED about those changes and now they want those same changes for TP.

Classic case of why Nintendo should never listen to Zelda fans.

You guys don't know what you want!

somethingsomethingigiveyouwindawakerubutnoyouwantmaturezeldasothenimakeathetwilightprincess

Lunar15

I dunno, my problem with TP was never really its crappy assets, but moreso its art design. Skyward Sword and TWW had equally shitty textures, but the art design felt more coherent and enjoyable to me. TP goes for this weird vibe.

Astral Dog

Weird how they gave Ww a lot of love but the second most popular Zelda game, if not the most, gets a quick port, but im expecting a handheld NX versión.

To be honest, given the art style, I didn't expect the same differences as Wind Waker HD on Wii U. It hardly looks any different from Dolphin from what I saw.

Are they giving us orchestrated music with the remaster? Honestly, that was one of my biggest gripes with that game.

Best wishes.

Anth0ny

or maybe they're different people

I didn't expect anything more from this TPHD project. I'm neither happy nor disappointed by these screenshots. It's acceptable. It is what it is.

WWHD, on the other hand... fuck that bloom. Fuck it hard.

1Uoaq1X.jpg

Comes close to ruining the game for me. My ideal version of the game is still the original version running in Dolphin at 1080p, and that shouldn't be the case.

AgeEighty

I love all the people sneering about this game's looks who cry, "Look what amateurs have done with emulators and texture packs!" and then post screenshots and videos that look horrendous and totally generic.

Jarmel

Banned
What I'm getting from this thread is that the game really is just butt ugly and barring a remake, there isn't much they can do.

Nerrel

Those screens look as good as you can realistically expect for a project like this.

They do not. They could have added in shadows, for example. There aren't any cast by anything in the environment except the character models. Ambient occlusion would also help a lot, but without objects even casting basic shadows, that's a pipe dream.

They also could have cleaned up the models to any extent and it would have helped. They completely remodeled Link for OoT3D... they didn't have to do that here, but at least touch things up.

Take a look at the turtle's face from MM3D:
zelda-majoras-mask-graphics-3ds-vs-n64.jpg

Smoothing out polygons a little can go a long way.

For instance, this could have been made to not look like a nightmare with down syndrome:
CcZC5iU.png

To say that this is the best the game is capable of looking is absurd. There are plenty of ways they could dramatically improve it, even without doing a full on overhaul like the past 3 remakes got. I would actually have been OK with the visuals if they had just implemented shadows and AO to improve the realism and depth. Anything other than just the texture update we're getting.

They do not. They could have added in shadows, for example. There aren't any cast by anything in the environment except the character models. Ambient occlusion would also help a lot, but without objects even casting basic shadows, that's a pipe dream.

They also could have cleaned up the models to any extent and it would have helped. They completely remodeled Link for OoT3D... they didn't have to do that here, but at least touch things up.

Take a look at the turtle's face from MM3D:

Smoothing out polygons a little can go a long way.

For instance, this could have been made to not look like a nightmare with down syndrome:

To say that this is the best the game is capable of looking is absurd. There are plenty of ways they could dramatically improve it, even without doing a full on overhaul like the past 3 remakes got. I would actually have been OK with the visuals if they had just implemented shadows and AO to improve the realism and depth. Anything other than just the texture update we're getting.
Are we really comparing the remake of a N64 game with a HD *port* of a GCN/Wii game, that is so much more complex than the N64 one from a technical view that it's not even funny anymore?

Look, if someone tells me that Grezzo could have made the two N64 remakes with the budget Tantalus has to port TP to Wii U, i could believe him.

greg400

Banned
The lack of confirmation on whether the game will be released without an extra piece of plastic is unsettling to me. Are they going to force us to pay an extra $10 on an already average looking remaster for some more worthless amiibo functionality? They better make sure the content in the amiibo is actually worth a damn, whether it's for this game or the things you can transfer to the next Zelda game (that means extra content Nintendo, not removing existing content from TP then locking it behind the amiibo)

Shiggy

Are we really comparing the remake of a N64 game with a HD *port* of a GCN/Wii game, that is so much more complex than the N64 one from a technical view that it's not even funny anymore?

Look, if someone tells me that Grezzo could have made the two N64 remakes with the budget Tantalus has to port TP to Wii U, i could believe him.

The 3DS game wasn't really a remake, right? Some assets and textures were replaced, but the engine and game code were mostly ported, from what I remember. Weren't even the bugs from OoT reproducable in OoT 3D? Both MM3D and OoT 3D were enhanced ports, which this game also is but doesn't really look like,

Tookay

I really expected to see someone actually post these in the thread, guess I'll take care of it. Let's talk about these instead of youtube screengrabs.

Thanks. I was about to do it myself. It looks pretty good if you ask me, just seeing it with a better resolution and better textures.

It's just not the huge lighting change we were expecting.

jett

D-Member
Epona has seen some shit.
SSGpUv2.jpg

It's nice that they've worked on upgrading the textures, but I would've rather had them change how everything is lit and shaded in the game, like WWHD did (plus adding dynamic shadows everywhere). Oh well, it is what it is.

Garlador

How about Wind Waker HD, then? Same system?

In Twilight Princess's defense, Wind Waker WAS a lot easier to update.

Wind Waker, unlike Twilight Princess, didn't have much detail in it. It had basic, simple, bold cel-shaded colors. The HD version is almost identical in that regard, with almost no actual detail added, but they reworked the lighting system and went overboard with bloom.

Twilight Princess, however, has a LOT more detail in its textures and graphics. A lot more intricate designs, wear and tear, fabric patterns, and actual texture on its textures. Overhauling all of that would easily be a more difficult task than Wind Waker.

Granted, Twilight Princess could look just as different with reworked lightning as well, but that's the main difference. Wind Waker's textures were improved, but not to the degree that Twilight Princess's are, but the simplicity of its graphics yields better results.

Astral Dog

or maybe they're different people

I didn't expect anything more from this TPHD project. I'm neither happy nor disappointed by these screenshots. It's acceptable. It is what it is.

WWHD, on the other hand... fuck that bloom. Fuck it hard.

1Uoaq1X.jpg

Comes close to ruining the game for me. My ideal version of the game is still the original version running in Dolphin at 1080p, and that shouldn't be the case.
WW HD was a beautiful remaster , that new lighting and textures made the game even moré gorgeous, there are other alternatives if you want the original in HD.
The best is that they were preparing for Zelda U instead of wasting their timé on Twilight Princess HD

Nerrel

Twilight Princess, however, has a LOT more detail in its textures and graphics. A lot more intricate designs, wear and tear, fabric patterns, and actual texture on its textures. Overhauling all of that would easily be a more difficult task than Wind Waker.

That's the thing, though.. they did overhaul that difficult stuff for TPHD. They substantially improved the texture detail. The kind of lighting and shading alterations WWHD got would have been the easy part, and they didn't do anything there. This game will have had over twice the development time WWHD did by the time it launches. I'm not saying they didn't work hard on this, but they don't seem to have spent their time in a way that would produce an efficient return.

Again, real cast shadows in the environments and AO would have gone a long way to making this look better. Wii U has demonstrated it can easily handle both of those in much more demanding modern titles running at a fluid 60fps. Why it couldn't be done for a 30fps GC game is hard to understand.

Top Bottom