• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

Riposte

5 consecutive rounds won in death match with meat weagon.nobody else seems to take it much. alot take the police van, sports car or the heli. hrhrhhr

My experience more or less. Meat Wagon is godlike. Apparently Reaper is suppose to beat it out easily, but I destroy those so fast.

Holy shit 30+ maps?! Surely those can't all be unique? Especially since they all seem so big and detailed

Not all unique. 8 huge maps with 30 + variations. They didn't just cut and chop the maps though, they changed pick up locations, etc.

Custom skins for vehicles, NICE. And PAINTING. TIME SINK!!

ElRenoRaven

I really can't wait to see the custom skins people will share with the community. This is going to be awesome.

2 really hard unlocks from story that you can use online. If someone has them then you know they put work into it.

jhiFcBOcVHLyS.bmp

jb04pZwyfRaxTY.bmp

j5TbTAIl5drVn.bmp

Cool game. I don't like these kind of games enough to buy them full price on day one, but I might do it anyway just to support the dev for bringing back an old-school genre and making no concessions.

ElRenoRaven

I will be so depressed if this game isn't successful.

It will. It just depends on if it's typical TM successful which means a million or million and a half over it's life or a million within like 6 months.

Just showed off a haunted house like section of this map. Very cool stuff.

Lesson learned from Calling all Cars that he brought to this one. It wasn't a huge hit. Seemed that it didn't so so well cause there wasn't enough for the value level wise, vehicle wise etc. They didn't do a good job building that depth with it.

BHK3

Banned
What program you guys use for gifs?

Anyway there's a custom paint shop and you can upload your own stuff? How does that work?

Edit: Nvm scrolled up and its through the actual website. Does that mean theres stat tracking?

ElRenoRaven

Now showing how setting up a room works.

Game Name
Game Password
Ranked game yes or no
Initital game type
Skill filter
XP Rank Filter
Max Players
Serverved slots

Ton of advanced options per game also on top of those initial settings.

Framerate is solid. Lack of lag is good. Framerate is not 100fps as the question asked.

ElRenoRaven

Now showing Nuke on Sunsprings. Launchers can be mobile or stationary. Can't help that some people play Nuke more like Deathmatch. All cars sacrifice ad different speeds.

Notifies you who's attacking your missle. Limited number of talons, juggernauts, etc per nuke game. So you have to pick when to use them.

ElRenoRaven

Nods to past games they've worked on but no Kratos driving around in a chariot for example. This is very much a relaunch of the franchise.

ElRenoRaven

Scott designed Sunprings. David designed the New York level. They paper design then send off to others to be made and then it gets reiterated on. But you can see each's design style based off the level.

Game does have mercy rule if one team gets really far ahead of the other.

Bebpo

Banned
This game is going to be pure fun.

So with 8 maps, is the SP playthrough going to be 8 stages -> ending each run?

Owensboro

"We can't control people playing Nuke like Deathmatch."

Guy playing proceedes to play like deathmatch. Turning away from the objective in order to fight someone instead of protecting / attacking it.

ElRenoRaven

30 plus maps. Sunsprings for example has 5 to 6 sub maps set into it. 1 map for example is just the movie theater section of that map.

David wants to work on a new IP next. Something with more narrative.

ElRenoRaven

Matchmaking based on skill does look at skill etc to try and make it balanced. Will never be perfect obviously.

They are looking at feedback about the button setups, etc. Didn't realize that there are some 3rd party controllers without sixasxis for example. Hence they will look at things like that. He personally plays with classic control setup.

Owensboro

Guy does not know how to play. Painful to watch

God, I really hate it when people don't play an objective based map the right way. Meaning: they just play the damn thing like Deathmatch. Get the fuck off my team if you aren't going to play the team mode.

For instance, I just had this exact reaction while watching him play:

Enemy sacrifices a leader and launches a missile right in front of him. As he drives towards the group of enemies the missile is in his targeting reticle for 20-25 seconds.

"Shoot the missile, it's going towards your statue. Shoot the missile. OH GOD SHOOT THE MISSLE. DON'T DRIVE TOWARDS THE 5 ENEMIES IN A CLUSTER! GODDAMN IT!"

People were saying that this game isn't a "looker" in terms of graphical fidelity, but there's SO MUCH CRAP happening at the same time, and so many destructibles. I love how crazy it looks when 10+ vehicles are chasing the mobile Nuke launcher.

ElRenoRaven

No bots in online modes. Reaper has 90 points of health. Darkside has 280. Juggernaught has like 700. So it varies per vehicle.

ElRenoRaven

All maps are brand new. They've talked about what they'd love to do if they could do DLC.

Those include classic cars, some classic levels, etc. Those are just what they've talked about they'd love to do if they could.

Seems that the first couple weeks or so are the most important sells wise if there is interest in DLC. So buy early folks and support this amazing franchise damn it.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
DLC only comes if it's successful. It wasn't designed with the thought of future DLC.

I need DLC for this game. Obviously people have some favorite cars out there that didn't make it into this one, and the idea of reimagined classic maps (similar themes - new layout) is awesome. How cool would a modern version of Antartica be?

ElRenoRaven

No Dark Tooth, No Minion, No Tower Tooth. If you've watched this live Q&A and watched the gameplay they've shown today and aren't convinced then it's not the game for you.

Top Bottom