• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch announces 24/7 Food channel with Julia Child Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuukan

Twitch blog post

Today, Twitch Creative is celebrating the joy of cooking with the launch of a brand new channel dedicated to all things food! Twitch.tv/Food will showcase cooking content 24/7 on Twitch Creative, and we’re kicking things off with an almighty marathon of all 201 episodes of Julia Child’s classic cooking show, The French Chef. The broadcast gets started today at 2 pm Pacific, when you can also start using two brand new global emotes.

I don't think Twitch can call itself a gaming stream site anymore
It's just a mishmash of everything
However Bob Ross was nice

Aw, yes. I think I'll enjoy this even more than the Bob Ross marathon. Looking forward to seeing what twitch chat will come up with.

Shinypogs

I'm there just to see how twitch chat responds. I feel like there's so many group behaviour psych studies you could get out of observing the chats in various channels.

LeleSocho

Banned
I don't think Twitch can call itself a gaming stream site anymore
It's just a mishmash of everything
However Bob Ross was nice

Which is great, as long as it retains its identity it's really nice that they are not incredibly strict about what to stream so we can enjoy stuff like Bob Ross, tech shows and why not even food channels.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
The Cooking Channel is their actual cooking network but its starting to get more fluff

I don't watch much Cooking Channel, since Comcast doesn't provide an HD version where I live for some reason, but when I had Uverse I felt it had already started the channel drift where it was just slowing turning into the same (non-cooking) programs as the Food Network.

Public television is still the home of the best cooking shows.

This is good, though. The presentation for Julia's show takes things down to a very basic level so that beginners can learn some good technique. All of the episodes with Jacques Pepin are fantastic.

Funny how twitch was an offshoot of JTV, a general streaming site, and then got so big it started embracing non-gaming stuff. Pretty soon we'll have a "twitch gaming" offshoot and the cycle will repeat.

Incidentally, the only twitch streamer I've ever subscribed to is an old man who sits around improvising tunes on the piano. But at least in his case you get a lot of game music.

billeh

I would kill for a Mr. Rogers marathon. Hell, just move all of PBS to Twitch.

Diversity and expansion is a good thing. Gaming alone is .. blegh.

luoapp

Here, done
1359466172_6113_butter%20stick.jpg

Shinypogs

The Bob Ross chat was some top tier shit.

Yeah that was amazing and I think that the degree to which people seemed to embrace the content and made the merging memes part of the collective twitch language did a lot to convince twitch that further marathon streams would be worth whatever they needed to invest to get the content.

Of course I also expect whole bunches of sexism and stupidity during this marathon similarly to the way whenever a darker skinned character appeared in the pokemon anniversary marathon twitch chat would start spamming offensive things.

As for an actual cooking channel available 24/7 I might make use of it if it's not all reality tv. That said some sort of "twitch tries cooking" show where famous streamers have to learn to cook would be interesting. There used to be " cooking with the pros" a starcraft 2 thing for a while back in the day and god damn but the pro gamers were legit struggling to make even the simplest meals because they were just so used to others cooking for them/ eating frozen meals or ordering takeout. actual education could happen with stuff like that.

entremet

There's so few actual cooking shows on the food network now. It's all that competition bullshit

It's because those get the ratings.

I remember when the Food Network was all cooking shows and all pro chefs hosted ones.

The Food Network went through several changes.

Originally, it had tons of PBS style shows. Then it got chefs--Emeril, Mario Batali, Ming Tsai.

The next wave was prompted by Rachael Ray, Sandra Lee, Giada, Paula Deen and Barefoot Contessa. So it went from mostly male pro chefs, to female home cooks. From fancier food to 30 minute meals.

The recent wave has been influenced by competition shows, beginning with Iron Chef America/Chopped and Americana road trip shows hosted by Guy Fieri.

I like this idea. I'll leave the food network on as background noise sometimes, this could be a neat replacement if/when I drop cable.

I can already predict we're going to see a "THANKS POLAROID" meme based on the introduction of every episode. And a lot of BibleThump, "Ruined" and "Saved" chants.

FyreWulff

The Bob Ross thing was fine, but why can't you start of with actual live cooking? Being it's a live streaming website?

You get attention to the launch with a headliner event so that people stick around and watch the actual live channels afterwards.

It's also the same rights holders (Janson Media) as Bob Ross, so it looks like they enjoyed the success of Bob Ross on Twitch and are now bringing the other shows they own over to Creative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom