• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Source Code Leaked including Creator payout reports

avoidingthepuddle: $28,177
Dnz0djSXkAACvoa

A lot of "old man yells at clouds" vibes in this post.

You also say this about Hollywood actors, tv show hosts, youtube channels, athletes, etc?

When have scientists ever been more rewarded for their contributions than people in the entertainment industry?
I think a lot of what happens in the entertainment business is a sort of bubble. It is the perception that putting money in an well known figure it will revert in more money for your brand. Nowadays I am unsure if this works as in the past… At least in my case I couldn’t care less. You quite often see this bubble bursting in sports. Most of the soccer teams are heavily on debt while soccer players make millions and one day the team simple can’t make it (Barcelona is the most recent victim).

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I think a lot of what happens in the entertainment business is a sort of bubble. It is the perception that putting money in an well known figure it will revert in more money for your brand. Nowadays I am unsure if this works as in the past… At least in my case I couldn’t care less. You quite often see this bubble bursting in sports. Most of the soccer teams are heavily on debt while soccer players make millions and one day the team simple can’t make it (Barcelona is the most recent victim).

Simps are easy to milk though. On twitch they donate 5 dollars per month to the person they're in love with (plus random donations), amazon gets 50% of it.

Last edited:

Ellery

Donation money would probably be A LOT MORE JUICY for some of those streamers.
Also I think top streamers get a 75% cut and not a 50% cut, but not sure

The same goes for those groups too. But streamers are probably at the bottom of that group. Even a youtuber has to put in a lot of effort to make videos.

I’d rather be a youtuber. Twitch is longer hours and you always need to be on. Top youtubers don’t even edit their own videos a lot of the time now.

I can imagine being a full time twitch streamer to be a very draining experience. Dont get me wrong, still better than a real job.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I’d rather be a youtuber. Twitch is longer hours and you always need to be on. Top youtubers don’t even edit their own videos a lot of the time now.

I can imagine being a full time twitch streamer to be a very draining experience. Dont get me wrong, still better than a real job.

Yeah real jobs are draining too but without the thousands of dollars a day. Of course most twitch streamers have 5 viewers but eh. And the long hours, they choose to make long hours because they know every hour they sit there simps will donate thousands of dollars. Hard to feel sorry for them.

Kenpachii

The same goes for those groups too. But streamers are probably at the bottom of that group. Even a youtuber has to put in a lot of effort to make videos.
go stream for 8 hours a day against toxic people calling you fat, ugly shit for a year. see how u keep your mentallity.

Thinking youtube is hard, they straight up don't even edit there own video's or manage there own channels, its all done by organisations that do it for large chunks of youtubers. that's why ever thumbnail has the same soy face because its the same group that does it. They just make some content and boom there you got upload and u can chill out again.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
go stream for 8 hours a day against toxic people calling you fat, ugly shit for a year. see how u keep your mentallity.

Thinking youtube is hard, they straight up don't even edit there own video's or manage there own channels, its all done by organisations that do it for large chunks of youtubers. that's why ever thumbnail has the same soy face because its the same group that does it. They just make some content and boom there you got upload and u can chill out again.

Go work 10 hours in mcdonalds. Nah I don't feel bad for them.

Yeah real jobs are draining too but without the thousands of dollars a day. Of course most twitch streamers have 5 viewers but eh. And the long hours, they choose to make long hours because they know every hour they sit there simps will donate thousands of dollars. Hard to feel sorry for them.

Where did I say I feel sorry for them? I just think being a youtuber would be a more comfortable lifestyle by quite a bit.

You have a real chip on your shoulder with streamers. Get over it.

Last edited:

Hoppa

Twitch is like another world to me. They're always stopping to read or thank people, endless scrolling text and emojis, robot voices reading donations. Definitely not for me but that is a lot more than I would've thought

Lanrutcon

It's worth remembering that there are hundreds of thousands of streamers, and the overwhelming majority earn nothing. It's like being a comedian or a singer: there are millions, and only a small percentage make the $$$ due to talent or luck or that "it" factor. Streaming only pays off if you can entertain people, and you either have that gift or you don't.

So looking at streaming and going "oh, that's so easy why I am working my office job?" is like looking at an expensive painting and going "oh, that probably only took a few hours why am I working my office job?". You're ignoring the fact that the artist in question obviously has something you and 99.999999% of people don't. You (and me) could stream 24/7 and we'd get nowhere cause we're probably about as fun to watch as paint drying.

Arcadialane

It's worth remembering that there are hundreds of thousands of streamers, and the overwhelming majority earn nothing. It's like being a comedian or a singer: there are millions, and only a small percentage make the $$$ due to talent or luck or that "it" factor. Streaming only pays off if you can entertain people, and you either have that gift or you don't.

So looking at streaming and going "oh, that's so easy why I am working my office job?" is like looking at an expensive painting and going "oh, that probably only took a few hours why am I working my office job?". You're ignoring the fact that the artist in question obviously has something you and 99.999999% of people don't. You (and me) could stream 24/7 and we'd get nowhere cause we're probably about as fun to watch as paint drying.

Sorry but this is just not true. There are millions of artists/entertaines out there with great talent who with never reach the top because they don't have any connection, ability for initial investment, or no accessibility in getting those things, no oportunieitioes. There are plenty of people 'at the top' with no talent but are rich kids, or had connections, maybe some luck.

Thinking you get the the top by just being good and working hard is laughably untrue and unrealistic. 99% of people 'at the top' where born with the door open

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Hahaha asmongold is a gajillionaire and he still looks like that

I'm surprised robceedee or however he's called isn't on there, he makes a wee bit o' bank

Yeah I actually sort of respect him for that. I could imagine fucking crazy with that much money. He still looks homeless.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Sorry but this is just not true. There are millions of artists/entertaines out there with great talent who with never reach the top because they don't have any connection, ability for initial investment, or no accessibility in getting those things, no oportunieitioes. There are plenty of people 'at the top' with no talent but are rich kids, or had connections, maybe some luck.

Thinking you get the the top by just being good and working hard is laughably untrue and unrealistic.

Don't forget luck, probably the most important factor.

supernova8

Banned

Thinking you get the the top by just being good and working hard is laughably untrue and unrealistic.

Come on Pewdiepie started off from nothing. Sure his family was fairly well off but it doesn't look like relied on them at all. As much as his videos are absolute shoutfests and just garbage, props to him.

I remember I used to have a channel and just making a couple of videos over the space of a month was stress enough. Imagine making videos practically every single day! Definitely hard work and dedication.

I suppose part of it is luck because a lot of people have that "viral" moment before their channel takes off, but still most of that is organic. It's not like they had a production company behind them at the time.

Sweden85

Didnt Asmongold say that Twitch income was the much lower than Youtube and other stuff? If thats the case, jesus these guys get payed loads xD

PC Gamer

Has enormous collection of anime/manga. Cosplays as waifu.
That's...still a lot bro :D
It is a lot better than what I earned before when I used to work in a warehouse driving forklifts 60 hours per week, earning about $40.000 per year. I wanted more pay and less work so I tried affiliate marketing. Now 6 years later I'm so glad that I gave it a shot.

Arcadialane

Come on Pewdiepie started off from nothing. Sure his family was fairly well off but it doesn't look like relied on them at all. As much as his videos are absolute shoutfests and just garbage, props to him.

I remember I used to have a channel and just making a couple of videos over the space of a month was stress enough. Imagine making videos practically every single day! Definitely hard work and dedication.

I suppose part of it is luck because a lot of people have that "viral" moment before their channel takes off, but still most of that is organic. It's not like they had a production company behind them at the time.

Pewdiepie was a rich kid, go read his bio. His mom was an information officer, dad a business executive, and grandparent owned an art gallery. He was able to invest in tech from high school buying himself computers.

This is what I mean by 'initial investment' , if you legitimately have nothing to start with, you can't build anything that would make money, that's the trap. The rag to riches stuff your sold is never true

Also, being rich sort of allows you to be more lucky, as you can try more things without ever having to worry if you fail. 'If try YouTube and fail no big deal, my money can pay for my next thing I try' whereas somebody without anything can't take any risks.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Pewdiepie was a rich kid, go read his bio. His mom was an information officer, dad a business executive, and grandparent owned an art gallery. He was able to invest in tech from high school buying himself computers.

This is what I mean by 'initial investment' , if you legitimately have nothing to start with, you can't build anything that would make money, that's the trap. The rag to riches stuff your sold is never true

Also, being rich sort of allows you to be more lucky, as you can try more things without ever having to worry if you fail. 'If try YouTube and fail no big deal, my money can pay for my next thing I try' whereas somebody without anything can't take any risks.

Luck is a huge factor in life in general. If you look at anyone that's successful there is a big trail of luck involved. I mean, you can't sit on the sofa in your sweatpants expect to become wealthy, but why are people sitting on the sofa like that in the first place? Their life led them there.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Which is why I didn't say that.

Edit: Lots of introspection going on in this thread. People realizing they aren't more interesting than a Swedish idiot who shouts a lot, and it's costing them millions. The stuff they don't teach you in high school, am I right?

Last edited:

Sakura

Not too surprising. It was a new business, so most of the ones making the big bucks are the ones who got in early. The majority of the big earners have been doing it for years now.
On youtube it is a similar story. You look at people like Markiplier, Jacksepticeye, PewDiePie, etc they're all about the same age, and all have been doing it for around a decade now.
New people trying to get in on this though are going to have a much harder time. I think you will see less and less new streamers/youtubers making money like this.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Yeah I actually sort of respect him for that. I could imagine fucking crazy with that much money. He still looks homeless.

To be fair, that could just be smart business. Play the hobo character on camera, build your mansion away from the cameras.

Last edited:
You serious? "He could afford to buy a computer so that's why he's successful". Ok dude.

old-parts

Certainly interesting to see who makes what. Also those earnings don't include donations, merch etc as that stuff is outside of Twitch.

Forsen/Aris kind of the same which is perhaps not too surprising, 4mil total for hobo forsen and 3.5mil total for Lord Aris.

EXBC (korean IRL couple) have made in total $1,948,193 which is interesting (they get a lot of donos too), they've been on Twitch a long time, they always come off as poor (probably were in past) but I wonder if its just acting as this point. Their constant drinking cant be that draining on their finances.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It is a lot better than what I earned before when I used to work in a warehouse driving forklifts 60 hours per week, earning about $40.000 per year. I wanted more pay and less work so I tried affiliate marketing. Now 6 years later I'm so glad that I gave it a shot.
Do you work for PC gamer or is it just a clever name? lol. On the subject... Good for them I guess.

Midn1ght

I streamed for almost a year and got my affiliate status after 4 months.
Didn't even make 100 bucks from it and just quit.

I wasn't very good at it and started in 2020 when everybody and their mom were streaming.
Wish I started when it was called Justin.tv.

And on the topic, I also released a game on Steam years ago and barely made 500 so I'm consistent in my failure.

Last edited:

caffeware

Banned

"The rag to riches stuff your sold is never true"
Happens, but its rare.

chonga

I wasn't very good at it and started in 2020 when everybody and their mom were streaming.

And on the topic, I also released a game on Steam years ago and barely made 500 so I'm consistent in my failure.
Buy a hot tub.

caffeware

Banned

what game?

Top Bottom