• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Source Code Leaked including Creator payout reports

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
How much does it cost to buy viewers, and what is the dollar per viewer payout? I may need to start a thing.

also I don’t know any names of these streamers but what are the hot tub streamers earning.
You don't buy viewers in order to get successful.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
That is not the implication, but if you can buy them and get more money playing fake viewers ads than it cost to purchase than then you come out ahead.
That would work if Twitch Ad revenue was actually worth anything. But twitch pays a pittance in ad revenue compared to YouTube.

So bot viewers doesn't actually work in terms of making money on Twitch. Their money comes from subs, donations, and sponsors more than it does ads.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

dr-disrespect-evil-laugh.gif

jakinov

It must be weird being a staff member at twitch. Making pennies compared to the people you pay.
If you are a janitor, secretary or HR person you are going to make the same average pay you make everywhere else. If you play a critical part in the products/services either managing product/team or working on features/improvements (i.e. developers) you make really good money. Software developers outside of gaming make really good money. Twitch developers make a lot of money.

vFfUFb5.png

To me this is really nothing surprising. Anywhere people gather millions, they will makes millions. Radio, TV, movies, webcam.. like why is everyone acting stupid?

Trimesh

Banned
To me this is really nothing surprising. Anywhere people gather millions, they will makes millions. Radio, TV, movies, webcam.. like why is everyone acting stupid?

Maybe the simps are just acting embarrassed because the penny has finally dropped on the fact they are "donating" to people far richer than they are?

There are people who get paid millions to play dumb comic superheroes, dribble/kick ball and people are shocked, angry about this? How's this more crazy than people worshipping, wetting their pants in front of a screen over Avengers and then talk about it on Twitter like everything in the movie is real life: "OMG, did you see how Captein America looked at Black Widow!? I hope they'll bang. They are my favorite heroes!"
Found the guy donating 700k.

Sorry but this is just not true. There are millions of artists/entertaines out there with great talent who with never reach the top because they don't have any connection, ability for initial investment, or no accessibility in getting those things, no oportunieitioes. There are plenty of people 'at the top' with no talent but are rich kids, or had connections, maybe some luck.

Thinking you get the the top by just being good and working hard is laughably untrue and unrealistic. 99% of people 'at the top' where born with the door open
Exactly people like Nicholas Cage who got the roles because of his famous uncle I think it was.But it’s in every business like that every school cinema and so on.If you have connections you get the place reserved first.

SaniOYOYOY

Great representation of how utterly fucked humanity is when we are economically rewarding people playing videogames and screaming more than we fund scientists doing research on how we can save ourselves from ourselves.
Hate to tell ya but scientists turn to them too to keep themself entertained 🤣

jakinov

Unless they have a good accountant
This money is a lot tricker to hide. And it's very expensive to hide money so it's probably not worth it for them. For a lot of these streamers without external deals, this is also their main income so they probably not hiding it off somewhere. Without a big corporation with a lot of things going on and just Twitch being the one paying them. They don't have the same flexibility as other tax evaders.

supernova8

Banned
To be fair, that could just be smart business. Play the hobo character on camera, build your mansion away from the cameras.
True nobody is gonna donate to someone who clearly looks like a multi-millionaire... but they actually do.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Pewdiepie was a rich kid, go read his bio. His mom was an information officer, dad a business executive, and grandparent owned an art gallery. He was able to invest in tech from high school buying himself computers.

This is what I mean by 'initial investment' , if you legitimately have nothing to start with, you can't build anything that would make money, that's the trap. The rag to riches stuff your sold is never true

Also, being rich sort of allows you to be more lucky, as you can try more things without ever having to worry if you fail. 'If try YouTube and fail no big deal, my money can pay for my next thing I try' whereas somebody without anything can't take any risks.
I wasn't rich growing up but I would have at least had a PC and maybe a webcam and a microphone (they are not expensive thing).

Sure his family was rich but I went to a rich kid school (I was one of the only non-rich kids there on a scholarship) and you'd be surprised how little their parents give them in the way of money for anything. Sure they got a roof over their heads but some of them were treated like shit even though their parents were stinking rich.

Vaelka

WTF those numbers can't be right!

Streamers are making that much?

If so, damn there are lot of simps out there!

It's plus everything else too like donations, merch, sponsors, and also some of them have special deals with Twitch where they get a bigger cut from the adds ( 80% I think ).

Keihart

You don't buy viewers in order to get successful.
In all fairness, in twitch, you might as well do it but you might get caught.

It's not done because of ad money usually (sometimes it is done for ad money and sponsor deals) but the real usefulness of bots are so that people can jump to the front page or trend, Twitch's discoverability sucks ass, most streamers get their viewership from other platforms like twitter or youtube or Instagram, because the recommendations of twitch are mostly trending or hand picked, so at that point every small streamer is just rolling the dice until they get lucky and get front paged or hand picked unless they are able to somehow make it into trending one day.

In comparison, youtube and even twitter are able to push content creators to the audience based on their tastes, so even if youtube prefers channels with consistent content and high view count, there is still an active effort by the platform to push new content to users, that's why you sometimes get really obscure videos suggested after years of being uploaded sometimes.

I think it's a problem with streaming tho, i have no idea how you could tag streamers besides game and streaming section.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

For the butthurt posters, this is "entertainment money" , it's money that the ads companies and the people subscribing would otherwise be giving to big conglomerates like movie studios or TV Channels, so who cares if this is dripping down outside of those businesses? i feel no special sympathy for things like HBO and Universal and their show hosts and actors over Twitch and Amazon and their streamers.

If anything, money is getting distributed with a wider net now, dripping way further than Los Angeles and whatnot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom