• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch streamer dies during charity gaming marathon

Anton668

Story Here
Polygon reports that Brian Vigneault, a Twitch streamer who went by the online name “PoShYbRiD,” apparently died this week during a gaming marathon meant to raise money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Vigneault, 35, was producing and playing a 24-hour marathon of the online game World Of Tanks when he reportedly “stepped out for a smoke” during the 22nd hour of the marathon and never returned to the stream.

Condolences to the family.
Only 35 and "Foul play is not suspected.", exactly how much was he drinking and smoking?
Lock if old

ETA
From his Twitch Profile
!editcom !info Our dear friend and fellow steamer PoShYbRiD has passed away on Feb 19th. the family has chose to not release the details of his passing. We feel it is best to just remember him for who he was, and not think about what happened. If you wish to donate to help his three children you can do so at this GoFundMe page: https://www.gofundme.com/poshybrid/

kotaku Link
Vigneault was streaming to raise money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Vigneault would spend multiple days in the same week streaming for upward of 20 hours. The charity stream was the culmination of one of those weeks.
While playing video games for extended periods of time might not seem like the most strenuous activity, it can take a serious toll. Especially in recent times, streamers have spoken about the pressure they feel to stream for longer and longer, both to obtain notoriety and to maintain it. Some have reported issues like depression and anxiety stemming from that pressure, as well as sleep deprivation.

Oh damn.

Does he have immediate family? That's terrible, for the viewers too. I am at a loss of words at how horrible that must be for everyone involved.

22 hours straight with fatty foods, smoking, alcohol, and 35 years old?

Does not sound good for anybody, much less a 35 year old. Condolences.

Crayolan

Title made me think the dude had a heart attack on stream or something.

Still, that's unsettling. Might cause Twitch to crack down on 24 hour streams.

Father of 3. Damn that sucks for his children and family. Best wishes for them.

He raised over $10K for charities from streaming over the years.

Zasa

Wow man, that is so sad, so young as well. Can only imagine how his family is dealing with this. RIP.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Absolutely horrible, especially for the family and friends of this gentlemen. Dying at such a young age can be extra heartbreaking escpecially if his parents are alive as well.

Kei-

That's a rough one, with three kids and all.
Wonder if this leads to some moderation of marathon streams by Twitch, hopefully not.

Anton668

From his Profile
!editcom !info Our dear friend and fellow steamer PoShYbRiD has passed away on Feb 19th. the family has chose to not release the details of his passing. We feel it is best to just remember him for who he was, and not think about what happened. If you wish to donate to help his three children you can do so at this GoFundMe page: https://www.gofundme.com/poshybrid/

Tenck

Always scared of something like this happening. Sometimes I'm going through 50+ hours of no sleep and feel awful.

Anyways RIP PoShYbRiD.

Sakujou

Banned
but it was not recorded, right?

werent there other weird cases of people try to play themselves to death, or were people passing out was recorded and stuff like that?

i dont know much about twitch, but i read from time to time such weird news.

Syf

Banned
Really sad. Always feel like those marathon streams are bad ideas.. for charity or not they're very unhealthy

VegaShinra

RIP

It reminds me of those stories we hear every so often of a user at an internet cafe that plays a game for 36hrs straight and then has a heart attack. The lack of sleep and lack of hydration isn't good for the body in such long stretches.

Really sad. Always feel like those marathon streams are bad ideas.. for charity or not they're very unhealthy

I've done Extra Life 24hr marathon before, and breaks should be taken. Every 4hrs I took a 20-30min break to eat, walk around, or whatever. I agree no one should sit there for 24+ hrs.

Sheroking

RIP.

These marathons should be banned.

Nah.

Gamers just need to be aware that they need to take regular breaks, move their legs, walk around for a bit every few hours. The biggest risk is blood clot leading to embolism, and it's basically the same principle as taking a long flight.

Arkaium

Neo Member
Awful :(

There's a health risk called deep vein thrombosis that results from prolonged seated inactivity. Blood pools in the feet and can potentially clot. When the person finally stands, the clot starts moving and poses an imminent risk.

Of course, this could be completely unrelated, but whether one plays for hours on end or takes a long plane flight, standing and stretching is a really good idea.

Regardless of the cause in this case, thoughts go out to their family.

Those gaming marathons are not a great idea in the first place.

22 hours straight with fatty foods, smoking, alcohol, and 35 years old?

Does not sound good for anybody, much less a 35 year old. Condolences.

wtf?
35 is not 80
in fact you should be at peak(physically and mentally) at 35

edit:
standing and stretching is a really good idea.

actually you should be moving and not standing. standing still is worse for a DVT than sitting with your feet up.

Daingurse

RIP

Very sad to hear. People need to stop doing this. Heard too many stories of death from prolonged periods of gaming. Sitting kills.

Pacotez

Always scared of something like this happening. Sometimes I'm going through 50+ hours of no sleep and feel awful.

Anyways RIP PoShYbRiD.

Man I feel awful when I go for that long without sleeping, it's lke my senses and mind are numb or something like that.
I'm actually surprised he died. I thought someone would just pass out but not outright die

Wow 35 is way too young.

That's really surprising to as that stream doesn't sound like all that long to be awake? I've gone 36 hours with no sleep before and while I felt crappy certainly not that severe.

RIP very sad

Daingurse

Wow 35 is way too young.

That's really surprising to as that stream doesn't sound like all that long to be awake? I've gone 36 hours with no sleep before and while I felt crappy certainly not that severe.

RIP very sad

In these deaths it's usually the prolonged periods of sitting that is the problem. Creates clots in the legs.

Well judging by the comments from the family I don't feel like his death was related to the marathon stream but I'm not gonna make assumptions. RIP, he died a good person trying to raise money for those in need.

Mariolee

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone he's touched in his life, particularly his family and friends. Going out while doing a Make A Wish foundation charity stream is a crazy way to go. I really hope everyone respects the family's wishes and celebrates his life rather than go crazy Internet detective and leak what actually happened.

Anton668

Wow 35 is way too young.

RIP very sad

i added to the op, from the kotaku link,
Vigneault was streaming to raise money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Vigneault would spend multiple days in the same week streaming for upward of 20 hours. The charity stream was the culmination of one of those weeks.

so it was more than just the one stream. many near 20 hour streams in the same week, then trying to do a 24 hour stream

i added to the op, from the kotaku link,

so it was more than just the one stream. many near 20 hour streams in the same week, then trying to do a 24 hour stream

If true then yikes

Twitch might need to actually enforce limiting streaming times and have a health tips and risks that streamers need to be forced to read because clearly this shit isn't common sense enough.

Top Bottom