• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch temporarily bans white streamer after Apex Legends cosplay

Context and Intent matter for racism, as much as they matter for everything else. If the context isn't racist and the intent behind it isn't racist, it's not racist.
This is not subjective.

Cosplay without ill intent isn't racist.
Painting your face isn't racist.
The color black isn't racist.
How do you logically arrive at "this is racism"?

Now, you can personally be offended by whatever you want. But it's just your subjective opinion. And since it is subjective and based on feelings instead of facts and logic, it doesn't need to matter to anyone else.

However, that doesn't mean I think it's fine to do this in the US. I see this like the nazi symbolism in germany. It's alright for a nation to ostracize/outlaw certain practices/conduct based on their historical significance or "the will of the people".(Edit: Maybe a better example is age of consent. In Austria it's 16(14). Just because it was randomly decided to be 21 in the US, doesn't mean a 60 year old marrying a 16 year old in Austria is doing anything wrong)
If the US, as a society, decide this shouldn't be done out of respect for their fellow citizens or whatever, that's fine. It slightly changes the context.

But you shouldn't force that stuff on the rest of world. We had star singers in my country for quite some time and I don't see at all how that could possibly be called racism. It's just that we did not have enough black children to fill that role, since the refugee crisis it's more often filled by black children.

It's fine for Twitch to ban her, it's US based.. but objectively, she didn't do anything racist.

What's next? Male cosplayer dresses up as female character, LGBT+ and feminists call for his head because a male dressing like a female, that's totally sexism, right?

I was banned for arguing...against racism. So I'm not going to bother, just understand this: continue defending and being hypocrite about racism, we all know where this is going but in this day and age we now know off and have the internet has a testimony which guarantees that when what will happen will happen, nobody will be able to claim "we didn't know this time".

Except this isn't blackface.
Blackface is supposed to be a caricature of black people, you know the huge lips and all that, it's not just paint.

This isn't it, this is someone cosplaying as a black character. Just like people make their skin lighter when cosplaying asian characters.

One of these days the US military will start being accused of blackface because they use face cammo.

You're arguing intent, and as I said earlier, I don't think this person was trying to do blackface.

But don't be ignorant, also, and you're rationalizing is either ignorance or bigotry. Period.

RedVIper

Banned
You're arguing intent, and as I said earlier, I don't think this person was trying to do blackface.

But don't be ignorant, also, and you're rationalizing is either ignorance or bigotry. Period.

No.
It's not bigotry just because you say it is. Blackface has no meaning outside of the US and maybe britain, nobody else in the world cares or associates it racism.
The ignorant one here is you.

Varteras

Gold Member
This is exactly the way it should be. Discussion. Not instant bans because a mod takes sides and usually always one particular side. Allowing people to talk about this stuff. Not silencing them as "spreading hate" simply because they don't agree with you and that makes you want to demonize them. Although, there do seem to be a couple people in this thread who are still trying to name call. This is how we grow. This is how we learn. This is how we discover where our common ground is. Continue...

stickkidsam

BAHAHAHAHAHA

Sweet merciful CHRIST you can't write this shit. Is anybody allowed to have fun without being suspected of racism/sexism/*insert -ism here*?

Social Media is so woke, they haven't slept in years. TAKE A CHILL PILL YA DIPS!!

stickkidsam

That’s exactly what a *insert -ist here* would say.
7c62d0a52412eed0bfa30bcb436f37b8.gif

Varteras

Gold Member
Resorting to ad hominem is a debate fallacy. Calling someone a name or resorting to attacking their character doesn't make what they're saying any more or less true. It simply shows the intent of the person doing it to shift the argument from debate of the facts to silencing them via character assassination. It's an attempt to end the argument and "win" by default. "This person is bad and I'm righteous, therefor they don't get to be heard anymore and my point of view is automatically correct". If not the lowest form of argumentation, it's definitely down there. Unfortunately, that's all most people do since for them it's not about learning, understanding, or teaching. Instead, it's about feeling like they've won or they were right. Frequently a selfish desire to feel superior.

She's stupid for doing this, there was no need to change her skin color. No I don't think she's racist, but please fucking just don't.
I mean she looks stupid no doubt which is not surprising as she blonde lol.

You can do crosspplay without colouring your face.

Last edited:
OMG she looks awesome in cosplay. Twitch triggered. Fuck you as always gaming journalism and the indoctrinated far left.

Also did anyone else read "shoe polish and burnt cock," and wondered wtf?

gela94

Are darkly tanned people now also blackfacing, because to me it just looks like a very bad fake dark tan??

mcjmetroid

This is one of those American things that have spread across the world like wildfire.
Yeah. It really is that simple. You're a bigot.

Reeeeeeee!
Man Americans are so funny and sensitive LMAO.

Sorry to say but I agree. This is an overdramatification of the black face issue which has only blown up in the last few years long in the US.

You just know Robert Downey JR wouldn't have been able to play that part in tropic thunder if it came out even now.

Last edited:

Kdad

This is one of those American things that have spread across the world like wildfire.

Reeeeeeee!

Sorry to say but I agree. This is an overdramatification of the black face issue which has only blown up in the last few years long in the US.

You just know Robert Downey JR wouldn't have been able to play that part in tropic thunder if it came out even now.
I'm honestly surprised it stays in circulation and isn't pulled like Songs of the South.

CuNi

I mean she looks stupid no doubt which is not surprising as she blonde lol.

You can do crosspplay without colouring your face.

But we should all have enough rational thinking available to know that if she wants to add facepaint to portrait a character of different skin color, she also should be allowed to do that.

I am surprised this discussion is still going on and it saddens me to read those posts that keep assaulting other posters for simply not sharing their fear of face paint and calling them ignorant to a issue that is largely only common in their place but not so nearly everywhere else in the world.

Top Bottom